PDA

View Full Version : WTF does your name mean?

Cuchulainn
02-27-2010, 02:07 AM
Well? I'm not talking about your screen name but that was a thread I enjoyed & hath inspired this one. I mean your real name. If you're unsure I could probably tell you my Ma bought a stupid book full of them.

Important: You will be telling people your real name here, if you're under 18 I'd probably just play it with your first name or make up a name you wish you had like Horace or Lesley. Seriously though maybe only over 18s play or ON YOUR CRANIUM BE IT.

If, like me, you don't really give a flat :bou::bou::bou::bou: who knows your name PLAY ON PLAYA.

Gareth Welsh and English: of Celtic origin, but uncertain ultimate derivation. It first occurs in Malory's Morte D'Arthur, as the name of the lover of Eluned and seems to have been heavily altered from its original form, whatever that may have been (possibly the same as Geraint). It is now very common in Wales, partly because Gary, which is actually an independent name, is often taken to be a pet form of it.

Collins Irish: Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Coileáin ‘descendant of Coileán’, a byname meaning ‘puppy’ or ‘young dog’.

Gullick
02-27-2010, 02:08 AM
Benjamin Hebrew: Son of the Right Hand

Gullick: No idea...

Cuchulainn
02-27-2010, 02:10 AM
Gullick: No idea...

Gullick: English: variant spelling of Gulick.
Dutch (van Gullick): habitational name for someone from Jülich (Dutch Gulik) in North Rhine-Westphalia.
Altered spelling of German Gullich or Güllich, nickname for a bald or clean-shaven man, from Slavic (Sorbian) holy ‘naked’, ‘beardless’. Compare Gulledge.

You're welcome bitch.

Pheesh
02-27-2010, 02:22 AM
This thread always comes up eventually and I always hate it. Philip means 'Lover of horses' or 'Horseman' or something along those lines. Lame.

leader of mortals
02-27-2010, 02:27 AM
Patrick apparently means nobleman. Not bad.

ANGRYWOLF
02-27-2010, 02:29 AM
is Teutonic, it means ruler of the home...:D

G13
02-27-2010, 02:31 AM
Eric: Old Norse: Variant of Eirikr. Means Ever Ruler or Eternal Ruler.

Miller: Scottish: Comes from the occupation of miller, a person who grinds cereal crop into flour. Such an exciting last name.

Fujiko
02-27-2010, 02:39 AM
I'll only give my first name.

Sara; Hebrew: variant of Sarah. Sara(h) means princess/woman of high rank/pure/excellent/lady~

Other related facts: "Sara, a variant of Sarah, is the name of the tree where Buddha is believed to have been born. Sara is also the name of a flower in Kyoto Japan that blooms for one day only in the summer."

Variants of Sarah: Sara, Sera, Serah, Cera, Cerah, Zara, and Zarah.

NeoCracker
02-27-2010, 02:58 AM
Michael (Hebrew) - He who is like God (Or something similar)

Crissman (I really wish I could remember, but me and my sister tracked it down back in High school for a Geneology Project) - Unintelligent Caveman.

The names go quite beautifully together if I do say so myself. :p

Mo-Nercy
02-27-2010, 03:11 AM
Peter - derived from the Greek name Petros meaning 'stone'

Huang - Means 'yellow', which is perceived in Chinese culture as somewhat of a noble colour.

Cuchulainn
02-27-2010, 03:13 AM
Michael (Hebrew) - He who is like God (Or something similar)

Crissman (I really wish I could remember, but me and my sister tracked it down back in High school for a Geneology Project) - Unintelligent Caveman.

The names go quite beautifully together if I do say so myself. :p

Michael: English and German form of a common biblical name (meaning “who is like God?”) borne by one of the archangels, who is also regarded as a saint of the Catholic Church (cf. Gabriel and Raphael). In the Middle Ages, Michael was regarded as captain of the heavenly host (see Revelation 12: 7–9), symbol of the Church Militant, and patron of soldiers. He was often depicted bearing a flaming sword. Because of its sanctified warlike connotations, Michael was a popular name among early Christian military leaders, and was borne by eight Byzantine emperors, as well as by the founder (1596–1645) of the Romanov dynasty in Russia. The name is also borne by a Persian prince and ally of Belshazzar mentioned in the Book of Daniel. See also Michal. Cognates: Irish Gaelic: Mícheál. Scottish Gaelic: Micheal. Welsh: Meical, Mihangel. French: Michel. Italian: Michele. Spanish, Portuguese: Miguel. Catalan: Miquel. Basque: Mikel. Romanian: Mihai. Swedish: Mikael. Danish, Norwegian: Mikkel, Mikael. Polish: Michal. Czech: Mich(a)el. Russian: Mikhail. Ukrainian: Mikhailo. Finnish: Mikko. Hungarian: Mihály.

Crissmann: Either a variant spelling of English Crisman or possibly a respelling of German Christmann or Kressmann, a variant of Kress.
Kress: from a much altered pet form of the personal name Erasmus, a Latinized form of Greek erasmos ‘loved’ (see Rasmus).
from a much altered pet form of the personal name Christian.
from Middle High German kresse ‘gudgeon’, hence probably a nickname for someone thought to resemble the fish in some way or a metonymic occupational name for a fisherman.
unflattering nickname for a greedy person, from Old High German krassig, gratag ‘greedy’

Huang - Means 'yellow', which is perceived in Chinese culture as somewhat of a noble colour.

Huang: Chinese: from an ancient territory called Huang. Perhaps the most famous and revered of the ancient Chinese emperors is Huang Di (2697–2595 bc), considered father of the Chinese people. He is also known as ‘the Yellow Emperor’, since Huang also means ‘yellow’. Surprisingly, though, Huang Di is not credited with being a direct source of the surname. A descendant of his was granted the fief of the territory of Huang, which later served as the surname for certain descendants of the ruling family.

PuPu
02-27-2010, 04:15 AM
David apparently means beloved and friendly.

lol irony. I think everyone who's seen me post can agree that I am no such thing. :sweatdrop

Goldenboko
02-27-2010, 04:20 AM
"God is my judge"...

I should clean up my act then. :eek:

Rodarian
02-27-2010, 05:50 AM
Syed :An honorific title that indicates that my family are decedents from our Prophets family

Murtaza (Arabic: مرتضى), a common Arabic name, is a variant transcription of Murtada, "chosen".[1] It is an Islamic name that dates back to the time of Islamic prophet Muhammad. Pronunciation varies with accent, from native Arabic speakers to Asians. A commonly held meaning of the name is "He who (God is) pleased with".

Due to their rhyming nature, Murtaza is often confused with Mustafa (Arabic: مصطفى), meaning "the chosen one", an epithet of Islamic prophet Muhammad
(Also a nickname for the Prophets Nephew Hazart Ali which fyi happens to be my middle name)

Coincidentally my brother's name is Mustafa.

So essentially I am 'Chosen' and is pleased by 'The Power that Be' while my bro is the 'Chosen One' ....I guess he fights vampires and demons in the night then......

rubah
02-27-2010, 05:55 AM
Noble Lady of the Cowshed.

Shoeberto
02-27-2010, 06:00 AM
"Stuart" was the name of an ancient Syrian serpent god, said to have once impregnated an entire civilization of women simultaneously. He was revered for his fertility and skill - all of the women are recorded as having been more satisfied than by any other sexual encounter in their life.

"Miller" means poopsmith.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-27-2010, 06:12 AM
Robert - Teutonic, "bright/shining fame"
David - Hebrew, "beloved one"
Noble - Scottish, "high born"

So according to my name, I am awesome! :D

Bunny
02-27-2010, 06:26 AM
My name is often related to battle prowess or warriors and whatnot. The technical name, I suppose, would be something about the defender of man, although it can mean "to push back" as well. Basically, it means I win wars.

My last name is fairly common and won't be given out, because I don't want you freaks finding me on Facebook. I have enough of you losers as friends and I don't want more. Unless you're a hot girl.

NorthernChaosGod
02-27-2010, 06:59 AM
Julian, also spelled Julien, is a common male given name in Britain, United States, Ireland, Germany, Poland, France (as Julien) and elsewhere.

The name literally means, in Latin, "belonging to Julius", hence its use for the Julian calendar introduced by Julius Caesar. Some families have taken it as a female name, possibly due to the influence of the French feminine form, Julienne.

The name Julian means, in English, "Jove's child ", in French and Greek, it means "Youthful" and in Spanish the name Julian means "Youth".

Cuchulainn
02-27-2010, 09:08 AM
My last name is fairly common and won't be given out, because I don't want you freaks finding me on Facebook. I have enough of you losers as friends and I don't want more. Unless you're a hot girl.

I can be whatever you want me to be.

Moon Rabbits
02-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Beverly Heels is pretty self explanatory, no? ;)

really my name means irish warrior or something.

Breine
02-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Kristian - Follower of Christ. Well duh.

Breinholt - Don't know. Couldn't find any info.

Iversen - Basically means "Son of Iver". So, one of my ancestors was called Iver, from where the name originates.

As for Iver:

From the Old Norse name Ívarr, which was derived from the elements yr "yew, bow" and arr "warrior". During the Middle Ages it was brought to Britain by Scandinavian settlers and invaders, and it was adopted in Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Rebellious Eagle
02-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Breine, your name is so cool. xD
Well, Stephanie is Greek for crown or queen...
Frances is Latin for "free" or "from France", but I'm not French...
And let's just say my last name is German and its meaning is really stupid.

Mo-Nercy
02-27-2010, 02:33 PM

Huang: Chinese: from an ancient territory called Huang. Perhaps the most famous and revered of the ancient Chinese emperors is Huang Di (2697–2595 bc), considered father of the Chinese people. He is also known as ‘the Yellow Emperor’, since Huang also means ‘yellow’. Surprisingly, though, Huang Di is not credited with being a direct source of the surname. A descendant of his was granted the fief of the territory of Huang, which later served as the surname for certain descendants of the ruling family.
Yes, indeed.

I meant to do my Chinese name too, but forgot as I finished my post. First names in Chinese don't really have etymologies because they're just regular words.

Zǐ: 11 p.m.-1 a.m.; 1st earthly branch; child; midnight; son; child; seed; egg; small thing

Yán: flame; inflammation; -itis (as in the suffix for medical conditions)

So my name Huáng Zǐ Yán can literally be interpreted as 'yellow child of flame'

... or 'yellow egg disease' evidentally. :D

Rantz
02-27-2010, 02:44 PM
[ syll. pon-tus, po-nt-us ] The boy name Pontus is pronounced as PaaNTahS †. Pontus is used mostly in the Greek and Scandinavian languages. It is of Old Greek origin. Biblical name derived from the word 'pontos' which means sea. An old form of Pontus is Pontius (Latin). The name was borne in Greek mythology by the pre-Olympian god of the sea, son of Gaia; he was known as Pontus or Pontos. It was also borne in the Bible by the 1st century Roman governor Pontius Pilate, who presided over the trial of Jesus and ordered his crucifixion; Pontius was his family name. The Greek name Pontos is a variant form of the name.

I don't mind giving out my last name, but I'd rather not do it in public as it's pretty unique and I don't really want Google to associate me with EoFF. It could totally kill any employment chances I might have! ;} PM me if you want to know it, I guess!

scrumpleberry
02-27-2010, 02:45 PM
LOL TOMOTSSU.

Breine
02-27-2010, 04:35 PM
[ syll. pon-tus, po-nt-us ] The boy name Pontus is pronounced as PaaNTahS †. Pontus is used mostly in the Greek and Scandinavian languages. It is of Old Greek origin. Biblical name derived from the word 'pontos' which means sea. An old form of Pontus is Pontius (Latin). The name was borne in Greek mythology by the pre-Olympian god of the sea, son of Gaia; he was known as Pontus or Pontos. It was also borne in the Bible by the 1st century Roman governor Pontius Pilate, who presided over the trial of Jesus and ordered his crucifixion; Pontius was his family name. The Greek name Pontos is a variant form of the name.

I don't mind giving out my last name, but I'd rather not do it in public as it's pretty unique and I don't really want Google to associate me with EoFF. It could totally kill any employment chances I might have! ;} PM me if you want to know it, I guess!

:bigsmile:

LunarWeaver
02-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Pontus' full name is delicious, ask him what it is.

Uh, let's see. Kyle is "narrow" or something. Rudd has something to do with red or rust, some :bou::bou::bou::bou: like that if I remember. This time I'm too lazy to check it out thoroughly. It's pretty boring. At least it's not another "Biblical name meaning..." like half of names in existence.

Cuchulainn
02-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Robert - Teutonic, "bright/shining fame"
David - Hebrew, "beloved one"
Noble - Scottish, "high born"

So according to my name, I am awesome! :D

Robert: English, Scottish, and French (also Scandinavian): one of the many French names of Germanic origin that were introduced into Britain by the Normans. This one is composed of the nearly synonymous elements hrod fame + berht bright, famous. It had a native Old English predecessor of similar form (Hreodbeorht), which was supplanted by the Norman name. It was the name of two dukes of Normandy in the 11th century: the father of William the Conqueror (sometimes identified with the legendary Robert the Devil), and his eldest son. It was borne by three kings of Scotland, notably Robert the Bruce (1274–1329), who freed Scotland from English domination. The altered short form Bob is very common, but Hob and Dob, which were common in the Middle Ages and gave rise to surnames, are extinct.

David: Biblical: name of the greatest of the Israelite kings, whose history is recounted in 1 Samuel and elsewhere. As a boy he killed the giant Philistine, Goliath, with his slingshot; as king of Judah, and later of all Israel, he expanded the power of the Israelites and established their security. He was also noted as a poet, with many of the Psalms being attributed to him. He had many sons and, according to the gospels, Jesus was descended from him. The Hebrew derivation of the name is uncertain; it is said by some to represent a nursery word meaning “darling”. In America this is mainly a Jewish name, but it has no such weighting in Britain, where it is particularly common in Wales and Scotland, having been borne by the patron saint of Wales (see Dewi) and by two medieval kings of Scotland. Cognates: Scottish Gaelic: Dàibhidh. Irish Gaelic: Dáibhídh. Welsh: Dafydd, Dewi. Polish: Dawid. Finnish: Taavi

Noble:
1. English, Scottish, and Irish (of Norman origin); also French: nickname from Middle English, Old French noble ‘high-born’, ‘distinguished’, ‘illustrious’ (Latin nobilis), denoting someone of lofty birth or character, or perhaps also ironically someone of low station. The surname has been established in Ireland since the 13th century, but was re-introduced in the 17th century and is now found mainly in Ulster.
2. Jewish (Ashkenazic): Americanized form of Knöbel, a surname derived from an archaic German word for a servant. This was the name of a famous rabbinical family which moved from Wiener Neustadt to Sanok in Galicia in the 17th century; several members subsequently emigrated to the U.S.
Jewish: Americanized form of Nobel.
German: probably a Huguenot name (see 1).
Possibly an altered form of German Knobel or Nobel.

Kristian - Follower of Christ. Well duh.

Breinholt - Don't know. Couldn't find any info.

Iversen - Basically means "Son of Iver". So, one of my ancestors was called Iver, from where the name originates.

As for Iver:

From the Old Norse name Ívarr, which was derived from the elements yr "yew, bow" and arr "warrior". During the Middle Ages it was brought to Britain by Scandinavian settlers and invaders, and it was adopted in Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Breinholt: German: from a rare Germanic personal name Brin(no), probably composed of elements related to Middle High German brünne ‘armor’ + walt ‘rule’.

Iversen: Danish and Norwegian: patronymic from the personal name Ivar, from Old Norse Ívarr, a compound of either ív ‘yew tree’, ‘bow’ or Ing (the name of a god) + ar ‘warrior’ or ‘spear’.
North German (Frisian): patronymic from a Germanic personal name composed of the elements iwa ‘yew (tree)’ + hard ‘strong’, ‘firm’.

Pontus' full name is delicious, ask him what it is.

Uh, let's see. Kyle is "narrow" or something. Rudd has something to do with red or rust, some :bou::bou::bou::bou: like that if I remember. This time I'm too lazy to check it out thoroughly. It's pretty boring. At least it's not another "Biblical name meaning..." like half of names in existence.

Kyle: English: transferred use of a Scottish surname, which originated as a local name from the region so called in the former county of Ayrshire. Kyle is a topographic term referring to a narrow strait or channel, from Gaelic caol narrow.

Rudd:
1. English: nickname for a person with red hair or a ruddy complexion, from Middle English rudde, Old English rud ‘red’, ‘ruddy’.
2. Americanized shortened form of any of various Jewish surnames beginning with Rud-.

Fujiko
02-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Syed :An honorific title that indicates that my family are decedents from our Prophets family.

;):love:

Aerith's Knight
02-28-2010, 12:14 AM
The boy's name Dennis \d(en)-nis\ is pronounced DEN-iss. It is of Greek and English origin, and its meaning is "follower of Dionysius". Also variant of Dionysius. Mythology: Dionysius is the Greek god of wine, responsible for the growth of the vines in spring and the originator of winemaking

Wine god. I'm okay with that.

Goldenboko
02-28-2010, 12:20 AM
The boy's name Dennis \d(en)-nis\ is pronounced DEN-iss. It is of Greek and English origin, and its meaning is "follower of Dionysius". Also variant of Dionysius. Mythology: Dionysius is the Greek god of wine, responsible for the growth of the vines in spring and the originator of winemaking

Wine god. I'm okay with that.

Normally depicted as drunk too! :jess:

Aerith's Knight
02-28-2010, 12:28 AM
The boy's name Dennis \d(en)-nis\ is pronounced DEN-iss. It is of Greek and English origin, and its meaning is "follower of Dionysius". Also variant of Dionysius. Mythology: Dionysius is the Greek god of wine, responsible for the growth of the vines in spring and the originator of winemakingWine god. I'm okay with that.

Normally depicted as drunk too! :jess:

Well, at least it's accurate. :D

BardTard
02-28-2010, 12:31 AM
Apparently I'm a kind of flower. Birth name: Alyssa. There's a flower called Lobularia Maritima which for some reason has the common name of Sweet Alyssum. Also in a name book I read once, it also means rational.

I like this :D

Sugpo4
02-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Daniel. It is "The Lord is my judge." Or something. Not only that, but Daniel was a Jew that got eaten by lions.

I have THE MOST NOT METAL NAME THAT I COULD POSSIBLY HAVE.

Loony BoB
02-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Daniel. It is "The Lord is my judge." Or something. Not only that, but Daniel was a Jew that got eaten by lions.

As stated above. It's fitting because I've been told by a lot of people that I'm a rather good judge of character, so yay for that, I guess.

Rodarian
02-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Syed :An honorific title that indicates that my family are decedents from our Prophets family.

Thanks... Although I must say there are things that I do that is less honorable! :(

Fujiko
02-28-2010, 10:59 PM

Thanks... Although I must say there are things that I do that is less honorable! :(

Well, no one is perfect; and I must add that when it comes to sometimes feeling it's a burden to have such an important title/bloodline/heritage (etc) that you must live with for the rest of your life (cause then you always have to live up to certain standards), there's prolly not many who know what that feels like more than I do...

Madame Adequate
02-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Huxley means Hugh's Field, which is pretty smurfing boring itbt

Vannevar: the only information I can find suggests that this name is of Scandinavian origin, and means 'good'. So I guess call me Huxley Vannevar 'in bed' Hobbes. :smug:

Hobbes: Apparently a variant of Robert and thus means 'bright fame'.

Huxley Vannevar Hobbes means total badman and heir of the throne of Man. :cool:

Jiro
03-01-2010, 06:53 AM
My name, Dakoda, was adapted from the Kokoda Track and not a variant of the name Dakota as many people believe (and isn't Dakota, as many people also believe). The only definition I've ever found has been for the spelling Dakota was "friend" in the language of a Native American tribe. Beats me

Rodarian
03-01-2010, 10:51 AM

Well, no one is perfect; and I must add that when it comes to sometimes feeling it's a burden to have such an important title/bloodline/heritage (etc) that you must live with for the rest of your life (cause then you always have to live up to certain standards), there's prolly not many who know what that feels like more than I do...

You took the words right out of my mouth..

You should see me when I'm out to gala with my parents. Ayaaaaaaaaaa the amount of smiling and being paraded around as 'Good Son' ...Later in the night I hard partying and getting smashed..Not the image my parents want to see coming from the 'Good Son'

Breine
03-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Huxley Vannevar Hobbes means total badman and heir of the throne of Man. :cool:

You have a really cool name there. I especially like your middle name.

qwertysaur
03-01-2010, 03:49 PM
My name means from Scotland. I'm not from Scotland though :/
My last name is a variant of the English occupational name Tiler, a man who made and laid tiles in floors and pavements. Derived from the Middle English 'tile' meaning "tile" which, in turn, came from the Old English 'tigele,' meaning "to cover."
The funny thing is I have met someone who has my Surname for a first name and my first name as their Surname. It was kinda surreal :p
Also my mother's maiden name means tree in another language. :p

Unbreakable Will
03-02-2010, 05:24 PM
WILLIAM: Guardian, Protector

CONNER: Hound Nobleman

HORTON (adoptive fathers last name): One who came from Horton (village on muddy land) name of various places in England

NICHOLS (biological fathers last name): son of Nichol, Nichol's meaning is the people's victory

Pure Aerisbeauty7
03-02-2010, 05:35 PM
My name, Josephine, originated from France and means God Will Increase.:)

Brunettepudding
03-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Emily.

My mother kindly reminded me at a young age that this name means 'a hard worker at home', and it was completely off.

Inferno
03-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Oliver : 1) an olive tree

how exciting... BUT

2) "the olive tree is a symbol of fruitfulness, beauty, and dignity. Today "extending an olive branch" traditionally signifies an offer of peace"

3) The name Oliver stems from the Middle Low German “Alfihar” meaning “elf army,” which is a combination of “alf” meaning “elf” and “hari” meaning “army.”

Polnareff
03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Follower of Christ. Yippee. And my middle name is barely even a name. So is my last name. I doubt they have any real meanings. :freak:

Bunny
03-03-2010, 07:27 PM
2) "the olive tree is a symbol of fruitfulness, beauty, and dignity. Today "extending an olive branch" traditionally signifies an offer of peac

more like fruitiness am i right here or what haha

KentaRawr!
03-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Nico means victorious people.

Woohoo. I'm victorious.

Butz
03-04-2010, 03:30 PM
FFV protagonist

Mercen-X
03-04-2010, 05:00 PM
1st name: Biblical meaning "God will increase" - I've never understood this.
2nd name: also Biblical meaning "manly" - Awesome.
Last name: German meaning "to cut" - ...fairly disturbing.

Quindiana Jones
03-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Beloved Bear King.

Hell yeah, biznatches. Imma maul u, an u gon luv it.

NorthernChaosGod
03-04-2010, 08:34 PM
FFV protagonist

Real name.

Brennan
03-04-2010, 10:11 PM
BRENNAN
Irish, English
From an Irish surname derived from Ó Braonáin meaning "descendent of Braonán". Braonán is a given name meaning "sorrow" (Irish braon "tear drop" and a diminutive suffix).

SPEYRER
German (Bavaria): habitational name for someone from Speyer on the Rhine
perhaps also Jewish, as the original form of Shapiro.

Bunny
03-04-2010, 10:23 PM
FFV protagonist

Real name.

Maybe that is his real name. Maybe he changed it after playing FFV because of how awesome the name Butz is.

NorthernChaosGod
03-04-2010, 11:12 PM
FFV protagonist

Real name.

Maybe that is his real name. Maybe he changed it after playing FFV because of how awesome the name Butz is.

Butz is awesome. So maybe.

rubah
03-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Just in case Butz is not your IRL name, Butz, consider posting in this thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/130002-im-my-own-milf.html) ;)

Cuchulainn
03-05-2010, 01:26 AM
BRENNAN
Usage: Irish, English
From an Irish surname derived from Ó Braonáin meaning "descendent of Braonán". Braonán is a given name meaning "sorrow" (Irish braon "tear drop" and a diminutive suffix).

I can't find Speyrer anywhere on google, though

Speyrer German (Bavaria): habitational name for someone from Speyer on the Rhine

Brennan
03-05-2010, 02:08 AM
BRENNAN
Usage: Irish, English

I can't find Speyrer anywhere on google, though

Speyrer German (Bavaria): habitational name for someone from Speyer on the Rhine

Thank you!

*Laurelindo*
03-06-2010, 10:36 AM
My name is just a shortened version of Tolkien's ancient name for Lothórien (Laurelindórenan).
I thought Laurelindo sounded pretty beautiful, and I've stuck with it since then.

hitman1984
03-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Adam: I already know in hebrew it means "The Earth" not sure if my name has any other meaning attached to it.

Chapman: i had know idea for this so after some research i clicked on a link and found this

Chapman is a first name for males and a common surname. It is a derivative of the Saxon word Caepman which in turn originated from the Old German word choufman or koufman. It means a market man or a merchant. A peddler who goes from place to place selling his wares is known as Chapman. Thus Chapman is an occupational name and surname. The genealogy and existence of this name can be traced back to the medieval ages. It is less common as a first name than as a surname.

Zeldy
03-09-2010, 08:27 PM
My first name means 'beloved' in french. I would like to know what my second name, 'Burrows' means!~

Cuchulainn
03-09-2010, 10:07 PM
My first name means 'beloved' in french. I would like to know what my second name, 'Burrows' means!~

English: topographic name for someone who lived by a hill or tumulus, Old English beorg, a cognate of Old High German berg ‘hill’, ‘mountain’ (see Berg). This name has become confused with derivatives of Old English burh ‘fort’ (see Burke). Reaney suggests a further derivation from Old English bur ‘bower’ + hus ‘house’

Quindiana Jones
03-10-2010, 01:39 AM
I'd be happy if we could just say names and have Cuchulainn supply the meaning behind them. I love etymology. xD

rubah
03-10-2010, 04:52 AM
I thought she was being facetious xD

What can you dig up on "Byrum", cuchi?

Blue Harvest
03-10-2010, 08:37 AM
I recently descovered what my surname means and it horrified me enough to decide to legally change it.

Crop
03-10-2010, 09:16 AM
My surname is so damn uncommon, that if I just gave you that, one Google search could uncover everything about me.

My name is Jamie, not sure what that means...not that there's much in a name.

Cuchulainn
03-10-2010, 12:23 PM

Variant of English Byron.

English: habitational name from Byram in West Yorkshire or Byrom in Lancashire, both named with Old English b¯rum ‘at the cattle sheds’, dative plural of b¯re ‘byre’.
This name and the variants Biron and Biram have occasionally been adopted as Jewish surnames, presumably as Americanized forms of Jewish names that cannot now be identified.

KH-Cloudy
03-13-2010, 02:09 AM
Define my name!

Raymond :bigsmile:

i leik wher dis is goin

VexNet
03-13-2010, 02:40 AM
God is My Judge

"God is my judge"...

I should clean up my act then. :eek:

name snap!

Evastio
03-13-2010, 04:06 AM
Taken from my EoY:

It's basically a name I came up with. Back in Grade 5 a friend and I were trying to come up with cool sounding names for something I can't exactly remember. He came up with the names Aklan and Emokichuk. I tried to come up with cool names as well but he didn't like my name ideas like Gatradis and Kyudis. Evastio was the only name he found cool. When I was making my EoFF account I wanted to make my name a cool one that nobody else would be using. Evastio was one of the first ones that came to mind so I decided to stick with that name.

rubah
03-13-2010, 04:26 AM

Variant of English Byron.

English: habitational name from Byram in West Yorkshire or Byrom in Lancashire, both named with Old English b¯rum ‘at the cattle sheds’, dative plural of b¯re ‘byre’.
This name and the variants Biron and Biram have occasionally been adopted as Jewish surnames, presumably as Americanized forms of Jewish names that cannot now be identified.

about what I expected! 8)

Cuchulainn
03-13-2010, 09:18 AM
I recently descovered what my surname means and it horrified me enough to decide to legally change it.

Is it File? and your given name is Peter?

Define my name!

Raymond :bigsmile:

i leik wher dis is goin

As you wish Herr Nippleknees

Raymond English and French: of Norman origin, derived from a Germanic personal name composed of the elements ragin advice, decision + mund protector. It dropped out of use, but was revived in the middle of the 19th century, together with several other given names of Anglo-Saxon and Norman Germanic origin. Cognates: Irish: Réamann (Gaelic); Redmond (Anglicized). German: Rei(n)mund, Raimund. Italian: Raimondo. Spanish: Ramón, Raimundo. Portuguese: Raimundo.
Short form: English: Ray.

Feminine forms: French, English: Raymonde (rare). German: Raimunde. Italian: Raimonda. Spanish: Ramona, Raimunda.

My surname is so damn uncommon, that if I just gave you that, one Google search could uncover everything about me.

My name is Jamie, not sure what that means...not that there's much in a name.

Don't be so sure tulip.

Jamie: Scottish: pet form of James, used especially among Lowland Scots, in contrast to the Highland form Hamish, which is derived from a Gaelic form. (f.) English (esp. U.S.): recent adoption as a feminine equivalent of James, influenced by the fact that -ie has come to be regarded as a characteristically feminine ending, except in Scotland.

BTW: I typed in Jamie Butterballs into Google with no success...yer fulla :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Taken from my EoY:

It's basically a name I came up with. Back in Grade 5 a friend and I were trying to come up with cool sounding names for something I can't exactly remember. He came up with the names Aklan and Emokichuk. I tried to come up with cool names as well but he didn't like my name ideas like Gatradis and Kyudis. Evastio was the only name he found cool. When I was making my EoFF account I wanted to make my name a cool one that nobody else would be using. Evastio was one of the first ones that came to mind so I decided to stick with that name.

FOR smurf SAKE YOU smurfING smurfS YOUR ARE THE THIRD smurfING PERSON. YOU ARE POSTING IN THE WRONG smurfING THREAD, JESUS smurfING CHRIST HOW MANY TIMES YOU'RE THE THIRD smurfER TO DO THIS....I feel like my number is 912.

tminus31
03-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Thomas: Twin (Aramaic)

Parsons: Clergyman (Old English)

KH-Cloudy
03-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks! That does actually describe most of my personality's main :)

smittenkitten
03-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Danielle: God is my judge.

smittenkitten: I'm the luuuuuurve kitten! :heart:

bipper
03-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Michael: Who is like GOD?
John: God Is Gracious, Merciful
Meyer: The magistrate of a city or town.

It is like a stand along phrase: Who is like God? Well God is gracious and merciful. THE MAYOR!!

bipper GOES to the mayor!

Edge7
03-23-2010, 04:39 AM
Dylan- Welsh for "son of the sea"

My middle name means "hero, or defender".

Gregory (yes, that is my last name)- Greek for "Watchful, vigilant"

I just realized how proud of my name I am.

Yeargdribble
03-23-2010, 04:59 AM
First name: firmness, boldness, steadfastness

Middle name: means son of jack

Last name: means white hill

Do the research and figure it out yourself if you're the crazy stalker type. The middle name doesn't make for a very difficult puzzle.

Cuchulainn
03-23-2010, 12:33 PM
First name: firmness, boldness, steadfastness

Middle name: means son of jack

Last name: means white hill

Do the research and figure it out yourself if you're the crazy stalker type. The middle name doesn't make for a very difficult puzzle.

O'Jack! or McJack! Or if you're Spanish Jackez or if you're russian Russian Jackov, my favorite.

Yeargdribble
03-23-2010, 01:42 PM
You need to think a little more inside the box.

Cuchulainn
03-23-2010, 02:29 PM
You need to think a little more inside the box.

I know it I was avoiding the obvious 4 giggles.

Yeargdribble
03-23-2010, 03:09 PM
I kinda like O'Jack myself.