PDA

View Full Version : Drama~

Mogi
02-27-2010, 05:03 AM
I was cast for my first play today! It's The Nerd, by Larry Shue, and I have a lead role! Although, with the small cast, all of the roles are lead roles.

Have you ever watched a play? What's your favourite play? Have you ever been in a play? Tell us all about your play experiences!

Laddy
02-27-2010, 05:09 AM
I love theatre! I do some community theatre and will be writing, performing, and directing one for my school!

Rodarian
02-27-2010, 05:37 AM
My second career choice would have been in the Performing Arts...

I've played Sneezy from Snow White

Played as Macbeth's best friend in a contemporary version of it

Several roles as a supporting cast for a Ontario Heritage plays.

and other bits of this and that

My 'biggest' on screen role was an extra for Resident Evil Apocalypse... You saw those citizens trying escape from Rancoon City....Yea I was one of them....

Shlup
02-27-2010, 10:55 AM
BJ had to go see Cyrano de Bergerac for a class a couple of years ago. It was a small production, but I liked it more than I had expected. I'm not much of a theater person. Live performances... meh. I'm happier to watch things on a screen.

In sixth grade I was Auntie Em in The Wizard of Oz. In third grade I was the crane in The Crane. Cid's wife was actually the crane as a human. I'd fly around yelling "caw caw" then fly off stage and she'd walk in and do the actual acting. xD

Meat Puppet
02-27-2010, 11:23 AM
It’s amazing how much drama there is on the Xbox forums.

Mo-Nercy
02-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Congrats Mogi. Good luck with the part =]

The best play I've seen was one called Birthrights. It was about a woman who was unable to have children, her sisters decision to have a child for her and the resulting difficulties in the relationship between the family members as the daughter grows up.

Breine
02-27-2010, 12:07 PM
I've been in a couple of school plays in elementary school. I played Constable Bastian in "Folk og Røvere i Kardemomme by" (People and Robbers of Cardemon Town), which is a popular Norwegian children's book by Thorbjørn Egner. Chances are that if you're Scandinavian you know it.
I was also the ringmaster in a circus/play kind of thing xD

Also, I've seen lots of plays/musicals. I can't tell you which one's my favourite, though.

Shlup
02-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Congrats Mogi. Good luck with the part =]

Oh yeah, congrats Mogi. That's pretty tits.

Rantz
02-27-2010, 01:18 PM
I've been in a couple of school plays in elementary school. I played Constable Bastian in "Folk og Røvere i Kardemomme by" (People and Robbers of Cardemon Town), which is a popular Norwegian children's book by Thorbjørn Egner. Chances are that if you're Scandinavian you know it.

Love it! One of my favourite books as a kid. Kasper & Jesper & Jonatan~

Congrats Mogi! I've seen less plays than I probably should've, and the closest I've gotten to acting is doing a few comedy sketches in a school revue thing.

Mogi
02-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the congrats :3

Here's a small synopsis of the play for which I was cast. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nerd) I play Axel!

I love theatre! I do some community theatre and will be writing, performing, and directing one for my school!
What's it about? O:

My 'biggest' on screen role was an extra for Resident Evil Apocalypse... You saw those citizens trying escape from Rancoon City....Yea I was one of them....
Awesome! You should find a screen shot and show us which you were XD

Laddy
02-27-2010, 05:19 PM
My play is a rock musical for Halloween about a schoolgirl who learn to redeem herself for her treatment of others through a Christmas Carolesque view.

Rye
02-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Congrats!

I like musical plays. I absolutely adore Spring Awakening the best of all. I feel incredibly blessed to have seen one of the last shows of it in Manhattan before it ended its run there. I met the cast and got some autographs; they were a really nice group of folks. One of the actors places Sylus (sp?) from Weeds and the original Wendla was Lea Michele, the one who is in Greek now, though I wasn't lucky enough to see it with her in it. That was the only part of the play I disliked - I got so used to Lea Michele's fantastic versions of the songs that seeing the last actress of Wendla, who was really... meek... was a bit disappointing.

I've mostly just read plays though, being an English major and all.

Rebellious Eagle
02-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Ooh, congratulations! I love to see plays and I don't mind acting in them.
Quite fittingly, for my old school's production of the Wizard of Oz, I was a field mouse...as if it weren't obvious enough that I'm so short and shy. -_-

Raistlin
02-27-2010, 09:35 PM
I was in a bunch of small stuff during elementary school, but only two significant plays: Robin Hood (8th grade) and Our Town (12th grade). I had decent roles in each of them. Our version of Robin Hood was pretty light-hearted and campy, and we had fun with it. Our Town is obviously a more serious play, though I still had a blast.

Mogi
03-01-2010, 11:37 PM
I have a question. We had our first read-through today and I noticed that, near the end of the play, I have some harsh yelling lines. When we were done and I was leaving, I noticed that my throat was kinda sore and my voice was slightly patchy. Does anyone know of any ways that I can keep my throat from hurting from the exertion?

Laddy
03-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Water, practice.

Practice until you find a volume and/or method in which you can exert less amount of effort, thus parching yourself less, yet still keeping the volume you need.

rubah
03-02-2010, 02:56 AM
I was in a play in high school xD Basically it was my best friend and I's favorite play, and we were constantly riffing off of one another all the time anyway, so it was a natural role for us :D

I Took the Red Pill
03-02-2010, 03:21 AM
I have never been in a play. My favorite plays, however, include The Bacchae, No Exit, A Delicate Balance, and Henry IV Part I.

I have never seen any of these performed. They are played out in my head.

Evastio
03-02-2010, 03:50 AM
Directly on Topic: The plays I remember being in were Sorry Wrong Number, Not Another Brick, and Through Their Eyes. There were some other ones though I don't remember what they're called.

Off Topic: I was in drama all throughout High School and Junior High. I had so much fun with it seeing how it's one of the few classes that encourages you to be all crazy and over the top. I remember all of the crazy stuff I did in drama (dancing and singing on stage shirtless, jumping off stage into garbage cans, falling off stage while I was in garbage cans, sword fighting with frozen store bought fish, etc). I won't hold it against you if you don't believe I did any of those things.

...though I found it really strange how it didn't help me become less shy whatsoever (acting in general, not doing all those crazy things).

Shiny
03-02-2010, 04:10 AM
Have you ever watched a play?
Yes, I've seen a few plays here and there. I would like to see more. I've always wanted to see Phantom of the Opera on broadway, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm not big on plays because I think many of them are dire. Don't even get me started on Spring Awakening.

What's your favourite play?
When I was younger, The Lion King was my favorite play, but I've seen that so many times that now it's like "meh" to me. Right now, I don't currently have a favorite play per se, but I do have a favorite school play. It was called Once Upon a Mattress and was very well produced by my high school. The people in it were all well casted and extremely talented. The costumes were great as were the backdrops. The best part was the jazz band that played as the orchestra. They were the top jazz band in our state. The story was pretty cute and funny; albeit cliche.

Have you ever been in a play?
Yes. I was in a school play where I played a dancing butterfly. I also danced at Carneige Hall against my will. I was 5 at the time and had to do ballet dancing in a tacky tutu. And then again when I was 6, but this time I had to do tap dancing too. I guess those don't count as plays.