PDA

View Full Version : What order would you recommend

VeloZer0
02-28-2010, 05:46 AM
This is a purely hypothetical question, but I was wondering what order you would recommend playing the FF games in to a person who is new to JRPGs in general.

Considerations that popped into my head:
- Starting with the harder (aka older) titles could be too steep a learning curve to someone new to the series and turn them off
- Starting with the newest titles could make it harder to go back and enjoy the titles with dated graphics.
- By front loading the best games up front (I know this is subjective) you would make other games seem like a letdown.

Anyone want to take a crack at it?

Wolf Kanno
02-28-2010, 06:22 AM
I always suggest going in order cause it helps you appreciate what the series has accomplished as each new title takes what the previous title did and builds upon it (for the most part).

I don't even think difficulty is a problem anymore as the easily accessible GBA/PSP versions of FFI and II are stupid easy. Most of the older titles also have great graphical upgrades from the ports (except the SNES ones minus IVDS) so I doubt even graphical issues will ensue. As long as you give them the heads up on GameFaqs most people can easily coast through the series with a little patience. At this point it just comes down to whether the person likes the game or not at which point I also suggest that you should stop and skip over when you get bored. You should play them in order but I don't necessarily feel you need to finish them in order. :D

Del Murder
02-28-2010, 06:25 AM
You should probably play X before X-2.

Clyde's Shadow
02-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Haha yes, ^ Definitely play X before X-2 :P

Not sure on the best order to play them all in tbh. With me it was IX, VII, VIII, X, VI, X-2, XII, IV. I needa go back and play I, II, III and V now.

Considering the fact that all Final Fantasy's are awesome, im sure you'll enjoy it no matter what order you play them in :)

Mo-Nercy
02-28-2010, 02:08 PM
I think IX should come at least after you've played the previous 8 games and have fallen in love with them because of all the mini-easter eggs and references that pop up throughout.

Flying Arrow
02-28-2010, 03:27 PM
It completely depends in what era of gaming this hypothetical person has the most experience. A younger kid whose first console was PS2/XBOX or PS3/360 probably won't take too kindly to anything pre-FFX.

On the other hand, older gamers who may have missed out on certain games from the good old days (I loved video games when I was a kid in the SNES/GEN era, but could never afford all the ones considered definitive classics by today's standards) may enjoy starting out on IV, V or VI.

Crowseye
03-01-2010, 05:32 AM
To fully appreciate the evolution and experimentation that has defined the series from the standpoint of the console RPG experience, I think you'd best be served by playing them in order. You'll also gain a better appreciation for the elements that reoccur in the series (Masamune, airships, etc.) since you'll have a reference for their origin.

The difficulty at the beginning of the series (if you are a purist who wants to play the games in as close to their original incarnation as possible) is not really related to the character building or combat system. You will definitely "get" the later character and combat systems better if you start with the earlier games because, generally speaking, the later systems build on the earlier (and offer their own twists on them) and you will recognize what abilities, spells, summons, etc. have been useful through the series. Where the early originals lacked in player-friendly information, you can now readily find more than you'd ever want to know with a simple Google search, so that's not so much of an issue anymore.

Finally, I've found the earlier games generally take less time to "complete" (unless you're grinding to max out stats or trying to pick up a 0.000000000000000000001% drop /shakefist @ FFIV). The later games have more side features and quests that, if you find yourself getting into the game, you will feel obligated to complete and will themselves take up several evenings of playtime. In short, if you start with the earlier games, you'll probably get more of a taste of the series quicker than you would playing one of the later.

At any rate, I would recommend at least IV and III and/or V before playing IX, as IX serves as sort of Playstation-era "tribute" or recognition of the first five or six games before the series moved on to the PS2, and you won't appreciate the "nods" in IX as much without having played the early games in the series.

cloud21zidane16
03-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Have you started any yet? It really doesnt matter, each FF has many different good and bad points which will make you have different opinions when comparing them.
Despite how great IX is and being one of the best:D I recommend you leave that until youve played atleast a few others as there are many fun and nostalgia feeling moments throughout it that you wont understand:confused:

VeloZer0
03-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Have you started any yet? It really doesnt matter, each FF has many different good and bad points which will make you have different opinions when comparing them.
Despite how great IX is and being one of the best:D I recommend you leave that until youve played atleast a few others as there are many fun and nostalgia feeling moments throughout it that you wont understand:confused:

Wow, you people are all way more high minded than I am. I was thinking something like:
FFV - not to hard for a start, SNES graphics
FFIV(SNES) - DS version probably too frustrating to someone not accustomed to RPGs
FFVI - great game to keep them hooked, and not let its outdated graphics diminish it.
FFVIII - So it gets a fair shake by not going right after VII (which seems to bias people against it)
FFVII
FFI - Have them hooked now, so go back to the start.
FFIII
FFIX - Last PSX before going to PS2
FFX / XII - I don't have a lot of love for these, so I'll throw them at the end so they introduce a graphical bias in.
EDIT: Oh yeah, FFII. Stick it in last because they have to be true fans to go and endure that. :D