PDA

View Full Version : For some reason, I don't think Walt ever had this in mind.

Goldenboko
02-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Apparently Disney fails even more than I originally thought. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzyLZYYb2qk&feature=player_embedded) For scenes of a movie to be that replicated because it's cheaper to hire someone to trace over old work than create new animations is pretty bad. Disney holds no shame :mad2:

oddler
02-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Maybe that's why I liked all those movies as a kid! :choc2:

vinnie's mini's
02-28-2010, 08:40 PM
O.O; I can't believe I never noticed this before, I used to watch those movies so much when I was a kid.

charliepanayi
02-28-2010, 09:15 PM
*shrugs* A lot of those films are still great.

scrumpleberry
02-28-2010, 09:33 PM
It is bad, but even the films with the ripped scenes are way better than Cars 3<

Marshall Banana
02-28-2010, 09:42 PM
I think it's neat!

The creators of Beauty and the Beast reused the dancing scene from Sleeping Beauty because they were out of time, though. There's already amazing animation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms05La1pDIU) in it, anyway, so I'm not bothered!

Rad Bromance
02-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Um yeah, welcome to 50 years ago. This was never a secret, and Disney never tried to hide the fact that they did this; in fact, they made it pretty clear they were doing it pre-release most of the time. They even recycled backgrounds from The Rescuers during the "Kiss the Girl" scene in The Little Mermaid, which they even discuss doing on the Special Edition DVD.

Of course Robin Hood was pretty ridiculous about it, and that was mainly because the studio was in financial hardship at the time and couldn't make up their minds how to move forward during it's production.

I think it's kind of cool myself, to be honest, and if you can reuse the framework from a previous work owned by your company to work in something new, I see no problem.

It's not like they did it more than a few times though, and considering how awesome the animation in said movies is, and how many wonderful animated features they've produced, it's more than excusable says I.

But I know there are people who hate Disney, and will look for any reason to fuel their hatred for them even more, and look at this and completely ignore all the achievements in animation they've made in the last 70 years in favor of complaining about a few reels of recycled line animation.

MJN SEIFER
02-28-2010, 10:25 PM
I always noticed this a kid - I always thought that it was done deliberatly as tribute to their old films (like Final Fantasy IX had allowed of stuff like its predecessors)

EDIT: Forgive me if this sounds arrogant, but am I really the only one who noticed all this almost straight away, as soon as they saw the films as a kid? Everybody is suddenly talking about like they just discovered a missing page from The Bible or something...

Goldenboko
02-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Um yeah, welcome to 50 years ago. This was never a secret, and Disney never tried to hide the fact that they did this; in fact, they made it pretty clear they were doing it pre-release most of the time. They even recycled backgrounds from The Rescuers during the "Kiss the Girl" scene in The Little Mermaid, which they even discuss doing on the Special Edition DVD.

Of course Robin Hood was pretty ridiculous about it, and that was mainly because the studio was in financial hardship at the time and couldn't make up their minds how to move forward during it's production.

I think it's kind of cool myself, to be honest, and if you can reuse the framework from a previous work owned by your company to work in something new, I see no problem.

It's not like they did it more than a few times though, and considering how awesome the animation in said movies is, and how many wonderful animated features they've produced, it's more than excusable says I.

But I know there are people who hate Disney, and will look for any reason to fuel their hatred for them even more, and look at this and completely ignore all the achievements in animation they've made in the last 70 years in favor of complaining about a few reels of recycled line animation.

I never noticed it because I never watched that much Disney, I'm not freaking out, I just don't like it. Excuuuuuuuuuuse me.

demondude
02-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Princess!

charliepanayi
02-28-2010, 11:03 PM

I never noticed it because I never watched that much Disney, I'm not freaking out, I just don't like it. Excuuuuuuuuuuse me.

Your opening post did kind of suggest a long-standing dislike of Disney, whether intended or not.

NorthernChaosGod
02-28-2010, 11:51 PM

This.

Meat Puppet
02-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Always noticed it and never cared. It would probably be worse if they were stealing the animations from a rival company, but it doesn’t really seem like that.

Tavrobel
02-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I remember watching Jungle Book and Robin Hood together as often as possible to point out all of the similarities.

Not that I cared why they did it. The mind of a four year old does not think in terms of intellectual property.

Pheesh
03-01-2010, 02:40 AM
All that did was make me want to watch Lion King again...and Lion King wasn't even in that video.

Goldenboko
03-01-2010, 03:17 AM

Your opening post did kind of suggest a long-standing dislike of Disney, whether intended or not.

It made me feel like part of my childhood was a dirty sham!

Moon Rabbits
03-01-2010, 05:41 AM
For some reason, I think Walt had a world with a lot more white people in mind.

charliepanayi
03-01-2010, 07:27 AM
For some reason, I think Walt had a world with a lot more white people in mind.

The racist old git would have loved The Princess and the Frog :D

Mirage
03-01-2010, 09:54 AM
I rarely watched any of those movies more than once, so I never really noticed. I haven't even watched Robin hood, and most of the time there has been quite a few years between each time I saw a disney movie.

G13
03-01-2010, 10:56 AM
I don't watch them enought to notice stuff like that. Somone had to point out all the hidden sexual innuendos to me for me to see them in Aladdin, Little Mermaid, and Lion King. I just watched them to watch them. It is kind of cool that they do that though imo. It's kind of like little easter eggs.

Also, that's pretty impressive that Tavrobel and MJN SEIFER noticed this at such a young age. Isn't that a sign of photographic memory?

Breine
03-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Princess!

xD

Anyway, I knew about this already.

cloud21zidane16
03-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I guess it saves a lot of time and money. Many kids wouldnt notice stuff like this and the ones that did, including above posters dont seem to fussed about it:D
Overall Disney are always going to be making/remaking films/characters/accessories etc purely for money, not a masterpiece.

I Took the Red Pill
03-01-2010, 07:37 PM
sup goldenboko (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_DPrSEOEo)

Rase
03-01-2010, 08:34 PM
This is bad why?

Mercen-X
03-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Well, it would have been great if they were recycling only portions and not entire damned scenes. But, I guess, it's not really laziness but Square-Enix style exploitation that causes us to yip and tear up or what-have-you in reaction to something that seems "pleasantly" familiar.

Rad Bromance
03-05-2010, 12:53 AM
sup goldenboko (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_DPrSEOEo)
:p

Nice
03-06-2010, 12:41 AM
Hilarious. This is great because hey, even Disney was cheap back in the day...but yea, we landed on the moon a long time ago.