PDA

View Full Version : Setup for Baldur's Gate 2 on windows XP

ANGRYWOLF
02-28-2010, 11:29 PM
I haven't played it in some time.As you may know there was a problem with it when it was designed /a compatibility issues on windows millenium that required an adjustment so you could play it.

Does anyone know about the fix so you can play it on windows XP?

I still consider it the best computer rpg ever made...sad that no one has come close to making such a fine game in all the time that has passed.

Laddy
02-28-2010, 11:56 PM
I tried my damnest to get it to work, but I never could.

And congrats on playing one of the greatest games ever!

Captain Maxx Power
03-01-2010, 12:09 AM
I really don't know why you're having problems; I've ran BG2 several times on an XP machine and never had any issues with it. I suppose you could either try running it on Windows 95/98 compatibility and see if that helps. But really it might something completely unrelated to the O/S that's causing the problem. To my mind there's no patch out there to make it work in XP as is the case with many pre-XP games such as System Shock 2 and the like.

ANGRYWOLF
03-01-2010, 02:04 AM
you had to go in to the the file on your computer for the disc player and change a designation for the game to load.

The problem is the file has a different name in the millenium edition than it does in xp.

I guess I'll have to go to the company's website/forum and ask someone there.

Thanks anyway.

ANGRYWOLF
03-18-2010, 12:34 AM
I think the problem was with the Dell I had.In the Dell configuration there's a file with the name of CD1 that has the same name as the file info on the disc.It has the name of CD1 as well so it confuses the computer and stops the cd from loading.To get around that problem you have to go into a file and change the cd reader's designated name to cd01 or something similar.

Here's the bioware page with info on fixes for the game such as I problem I had on my old computer:

BioWare: Baldur's Gate I and II Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.bioware.com/games/baldurs_gate/support/faq/index.html?faqID=40#1.06)

I didn't have to do that as I now have a Sony Vaio and it has a different cd reader config name so the cds were loaded.No problem.

If you read online faqs about it several players said it might be the best rpg ever made.:D

Quindiana Jones
03-18-2010, 02:11 AM
Ah man, this is especially cool because I just bought a Baldur's Gate multi-pack thing. 1, Tales of Sword Coast, 2 and Throne of Bhaal. Never played these games before, so am looking forward to ruining my university career.

Off topic slightly, but whatever. Coincidences like this moisten me. :jokey:

demondude
03-18-2010, 08:33 AM
I'm running on Vista and the game constantly lags making it unplayable for me. Btw Baldur's Gate is amazing. <3

Iceglow
03-19-2010, 02:03 AM
I'm running on Vista and the game constantly lags making it unplayable for me. Btw Baldur's Gate is amazing. <3

Two possible reasons for this to happen:

1) the game could be incompatable with multi-core processors, any Vista machine will undoubtedbly be at least duo core. This won't stop the game running but it'll only be using 1 core of the processor this means you have like half the power. Couple this with the fact that Vista has quite high system requirements and you can explain the system lag.

2) your computer is underspecced, less than 2gb of ram on a Vista machine is pretty much a no-no seriously if you've got 1gb ram or 1.5gb ram then you're basically running all your programs on like next to no ram because Vista processes require 1gb of ram to run.

3) random chance.

ANGRYWOLF
03-19-2010, 02:17 AM

Inexplicable Baldur's Gate 2 lag? - Help / Advice Forum - Penny Arcade Forums (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=90401)

Give it a try and see if that helps...:D

demondude
03-19-2010, 09:33 PM

Two possible reasons for this to happen:

1) the game could be incompatable with multi-core processors, any Vista machine will undoubtedbly be at least duo core. This won't stop the game running but it'll only be using 1 core of the processor this means you have like half the power. Couple this with the fact that Vista has quite high system requirements and you can explain the system lag.

2) your computer is underspecced, less than 2gb of ram on a Vista machine is pretty much a no-no seriously if you've got 1gb ram or 1.5gb ram then you're basically running all your programs on like next to no ram because Vista processes require 1gb of ram to run.

3) random chance.

My computer isn't underspecced, and number one seems worryingly likely right now.

Inexplicable Baldur's Gate 2 lag? - Help / Advice Forum - Penny Arcade Forums (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=90401)

Give it a try and see if that helps...:D

This looks quite promising. :) I'll give it a try later. Thanks!