PDA

View Full Version : i want to complain about uncharted 2

eestlinc
03-01-2010, 06:58 AM
awesome game, except for the ridiculously stupid final boss battle, which consists of running in circles. The scene in the ice cave with the monster was kind of neat as a one off, but very frustrating. But the final battle is like that except ten times worse. Why couldn't they make the final battle incorporate jumping off ledges and hanging and shooting, or something. very disappointing.

Lightening
03-01-2010, 03:51 PM
I want to play uncharted 2. mail it to me

Loony BoB
03-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Never judge a game by it's boss battle, I always say! FFVIII was great fun, the boss was boring, annoying and didn't feel like it was actually the 'big bad boss' at all throughout the game.

Slothy
03-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Naughty Dog has admitted that the final boss battle was the weakest part of the game and that they want to start working on the boss earlier in development for the next game. It was sort of a consequence of starting work on the boss battle late in development compared to everything else and not being able to give it the time they wanted to tweak it and really get it right.

Dreddz
03-01-2010, 05:54 PM
The story was also kind of naff if you ask me.

Depression Moon
03-01-2010, 07:36 PM
The boss battle for me didn't involve running around in circles. I could go forward and hop across which and every way to dodge his attacks. The only beef I had about it was that it was too easy. I like to die a bunch of times on most final bosses before I beat them. Ice cave one was easy for me as well.

Bolivar
03-01-2010, 09:38 PM
The only beef I had about it was that it was too easy.

Yeah, even on harder difficulties it wasn't particularly challenging.

I think the boss battle in Uncharted 1 was kinda off as well. I mean they're not bad, but for how great the games are there probably should be something with a little more of that "wow" factor.

Alucard von Elru
03-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Agreed. The game's gorramn amazing and it's about the only "epic" moment that falls flat. Good lord, compare it to the train and "Cat and Mouse" and it's easy to see when the developers are playing to the franchise's strengths.

Moreso than the final boss, however, I hated fighting the Guardians. They soak up so many bullets, and killing them does basically consist of just running in circles and shooting somewhat blindly. Again, not really playing to the game's strengths.

Still, probably my favorite game on the PS3 (it and MGS4 are neck-and-neck). The only reason the weaknesses are lamentable is because of how much they get so very, heart-poundingly right.

@Dreddz: I'm just curious about what you didn't like about the story. I thought it was an impossibly well-written and acted interactive popcorn movie. Exactly what the developers had in mind when starting the franchise, in other words. For all of its bravado, it's still just popcorn, but popcorn is damn delicious when it's this soaked in this much warm, buttery goodness. My thoughts, anyway.

Slothy
03-02-2010, 01:30 AM
@Dreddz: I'm just curious about what you didn't like about the story. I thought it was an impossibly well-written and acted interactive popcorn movie. Exactly what the developers had in mind when starting the franchise, in other words. For all of its bravado, it's still just popcorn, but popcorn is damn delicious when it's this soaked in this much warm, buttery goodness. My thoughts, anyway.

Dreddz seemed to think that Avatar was actually deserving of a best picture nod despite it's pretty bare bones and rehashed plot so I don't think I'd put much stock in his opinion of Uncharted 2's story. :p

But in all seriousness, I agree with you. It's not the most amazing story out there, but the characters are so well written and acted and the story is so much fun that it's hard to knock it too much for being a popcorn game as you said.

eestlinc
03-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Moreso than the final boss, however, I hated fighting the Guardians. They soak up so many bullets, and killing them does basically consist of just running in circles and shooting somewhat blindly. Again, not really playing to the game's strengths.
Yes! The guardians are even worse. I hated the guardian battles (except the last one where you can let the soldiers do most of the work and then pick up a crossbow to finish). I figured those battles were a minor aberration, and then it turns out the boss is very similar. Such a bad choice.

The rest of this game is so awesome, and yet I almost didn't bother spending an hour of trial and error to survive long enough to beat Lazarovic.

is there an easy way to drop a grenade behind you as you run? I couldn't figure out why the game insists on giving you grenades in these run away fights. I suppose you could at least get some use out of a grenade against the guardians, maybe.

Alucard von Elru
03-02-2010, 01:48 AM
is there an easy way to drop a grenade behind you as you run?

Not that I've found. Which is kind of a shame. I never really found the grenades useful against the guardians, either. But yeah, praying for the crossbow worked better! ;)

Bolivar
03-03-2010, 09:19 PM
For all of its bravado, it's still just popcorn, but popcorn is damn delicious when it's this soaked in this much warm, buttery goodness.

Well put. I love popcorn, especially with some damn good butter on it!

And there's nothing wrong with that, especially when most games can barely be considered cookies even (I need metaphor help!!!)