PDA

View Full Version : Money Money Money

Jiro
03-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Do you horde money in games? I've discovered that I make it my goal to be as rich as possible, despite not needing anywhere near the amount that I generate.

In Fallout 3 I would only buy stimpaks, so when I was selling loot I would only sell enough to clean out a trader's supply of caps and stims and then move on to the next sucker. If I did need to buy something else, I'd always have to balance the sale and end up profiting.

Anyone else have this desire to be the richest mofo? Or maybe you like to horde useless things like rakes or flower petals. Who knows!

VeloZer0
03-01-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm typically very stingy about what I buy in games, but usually end up blowing it all buying some weapon that is ridiculously expensive and meant to be unobtainable by that point in the game.

I'm always disappointed in games where you generate so much money you are never in short supply, it completely takes away the thrill of having a big payday. And on the other spectrum, if the game forces you to be too conservative you never get to buy anythign fun :)

Lightening
03-01-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm always broke because i constantly want the best equipment for everyone and I want 99 potions and other items, so I guess that makes me more of an eqipment whore.

Vermachtnis
03-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm usually always loaded when I get to the next city of a game. I hit the stores in the order: Skills/Magic>Weapons>Armor>Items. And I usually buy my items 20 at a time. So I'm pretty much broke by the time I leave for the next dungeon.

And I'm not really to stingy with rare items like Somas/Megalixers. If we're about to die and I've got a Soma/Megalixers to save our asses I'm throwing it. And of course during the final boss where there is no point in saving it, I chuck my items crazily.

NorthernChaosGod
03-01-2010, 10:55 PM
I grind like no one's business, so I'm usually pretty loaded in games even with mass stocking up on items/gear.

For instance, in Mass Effect after getting buy/sell perks I went crazy buying and selling things for a profit until I had a full set of spectre gear for all my players. :bou::bou::bou::bou: was so cash.

Iceglow
03-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Heh, for me I'm horrible with this I have like $20k in GTA IV right now and the only item I ever buy is armour or clothing. Other than that I spend $5 on the toll bridges if I cannot be dealing with out running a 1 star pursuit (generally this is because I have either Michelle in a car with me or I'm going to pick her up in something nice she will undoutedbly hate or I'm doing some other kind of mission) and $20 or so when I take the girlfriend in game to the restaurants ect to keep her happy. Other than that I don't spend I won't buy guns I generally just make sure I comb every mission for ammo changing the mp5 for a mac-10 if needs be and back again to harvest the ammo.

Bunny
03-02-2010, 12:59 AM
At the beginning of games, I am always poor. I have this thing with healing/status items (antidotes, potions, etc) where I have to have them in multiples of 5 or the max amount (usually 99). It bothers me if I do not have one of these.

In WoW, I have 30k gold and nothing to do with it -_-

Raistlin
03-02-2010, 02:12 AM
I am a stingy bastard in video games. It's weird, because I really don't care that much about money; I'm frugal, but I'll readily spend money on entertainment and whims, if I have it. But in games, I buy necessities and sell absolutely everything I don't need. At least until later in the game when I'm rolling in dough and can't even spend it all.

Jiro
03-02-2010, 04:01 AM
I have the same problem with items as Bunny - they have to be in multiples of 5 or maxed. Usually I will have only 10 on hand until endgame where I might max it out. If I ever find myself at a store with >20 or a total that isn't 5/10/15/20 then I will sell them, or buy more to reach the next level.

Lately I've developed the habit of not selling anything. There's plenty of games nowadays that have crafting systems that just screw you over for selling the most basic items. Oh no I can't get my sword of badassity because I sold that rusty fork back in the first town. :nonono:

VeloZer0
03-02-2010, 04:15 AM
I have the same problem with items as Bunny - they have to be in multiples of 5 or maxed. Usually I will have only 10 on hand until endgame where I might max it out. If I ever find myself at a store with >20 or a total that isn't 5/10/15/20 then I will sell them, or buy more to reach the next level.
I usually keep it to a multiple of whatever number of party members I have.

Lately I've developed the habit of not selling anything. There's plenty of games nowadays that have crafting systems that just screw you over for selling the most basic items. Oh no I can't get my sword of badassity because I sold that rusty fork back in the first town. :nonono:
It isn't uncommon for me to give up completely on a game because of a poor (see: almost every game) crafting system.