PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Owners Beware: 8001050F

JKTrix
03-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Sony has acknowledged that something is MESSED UP with the PlayStation Network, though of course they aren't saying much. It isn't just in the US, it's apparently around the world.

PlayStation Blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/02/playstation-network-status-update/), Twitter (http://twitter.com/SonyPlayStation).

As they mentioned, if you have a PS3 Slim you should be fine.

Reports are saying that the system clock has messed up the date, and it could feasibly be messing up the DRM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management) that Sony uses for all its games and paid downloaded content.

This is also affecting developer kits. (http://www.develop-online.net/news/33995/Now-developers-PS3s-are-hit-by-system-errors)

This has been going on since last night, and hopefully they'll fix it really soon. But just in case, if you have an older PS3, just be advised that you might not be able to play any games--single player included.

I'll update if anything changes, but if any of you find anything interesting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoENVnD3J8w) please share!

Dignified Pauper
03-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Sony has acknowledged that something is MESSED UP with the PlayStation Network, though of course they aren't saying much. It isn't just in the US, it's apparently around the world.

PlayStation Blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/02/playstation-network-status-update/), Twitter (http://twitter.com/SonyPlayStation).

As they mentioned, if you have a PS3 Slim you should be fine.

Reports are saying that the system clock has messed up the date, and it could feasibly be messing up the DRM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management) that Sony uses for all its games and paid downloaded content.

This is also affecting developer kits. (http://www.develop-online.net/news/33995/Now-developers-PS3s-are-hit-by-system-errors)

This has been going on since last night, and hopefully they'll fix it really soon. But just in case, if you have an older PS3, just be advised that you might not be able to play any games--single player included.

I'll update if anything changes, but if any of you find anything interesting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoENVnD3J8w) please share!

I love that movie. Further, I'm immune with my ps3 slim!

Aerith's Knight
03-01-2010, 03:27 PM
I just read this a few hours ago. This is really bad.

Not only the 360 but now the ps3 has failing errors too? Are they serious? Is it that hard to create a console that doesn't crash?

Flying Mullet
03-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Further proving the SNES is superior.

Lightening
03-01-2010, 03:38 PM
This happened to me yesterday, and it seems I can't play any game that has trophies now. everything froze when I was supposed to get a new trophy in Heavy Rain and now all trophy info on that game is missing. I hope it's fixed soon :(

Iceglow
03-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Actually AK I will put my left foot in here I can prove without a doubt that the PS3 and 360 consoles (slim ps3) crash just as often. As we all know by now, I work for a very large record store on their games department. Well in the store is a tower which has 8 screens, 4 consoles (2 ps3, 2 360) and hidden inside 1 server unit and the wiring to split the feed between the screens and such (anyone wondering why 8 screens with 4 consoles, the consoles are played on small 19" screens by the person playing however the feed is then split and sent to a 26" or 32" I can't remember exactly which size they are screen above so that their actions are visible across the entire games department) the tower was supposed to be a great piece of advertising and demostration for us yada yada yada. However all the consoles in the tower crash regularly, not just the 360's but the ps3's too it has nothing to do with the discs I've checked them repeatedly it is possible it's the heat in the tower causing one of the 360's to crash (the server vents it's heat right at the 360 in question) but explain the console furthest from the server and closest to the air vent crashing all the time? I can't and the console in question is a slimline ps3. According to the things I have read theres several critical errors what wipes out PS3s and all of them about as fixable as the RROD on the 360 The main difference is that Microsoft is a company hated by so many people world wide for it's vice like grip on the computer industry that the press automatically jump upon them whenever they can to point out their failings. Sony on the other hand tend to be considered a lesser of two evils and thus have kept their critical failures on the quieter side, they're known and they're dealt with but theres very little negative press about Sony in general.

Slothy
03-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Actually AK I will put my left foot in here I can prove without a doubt that the PS3 and 360 consoles (slim ps3) crash just as often. As we all know by now, I work for a very large record store on their games department. Well in the store is a tower which has 8 screens, 4 consoles (2 ps3, 2 360) and hidden inside 1 server unit and the wiring to split the feed between the screens and such (anyone wondering why 8 screens with 4 consoles, the consoles are played on small 19" screens by the person playing however the feed is then split and sent to a 26" or 32" I can't remember exactly which size they are screen above so that their actions are visible across the entire games department) the tower was supposed to be a great piece of advertising and demostration for us yada yada yada. However all the consoles in the tower crash regularly, not just the 360's but the ps3's too it has nothing to do with the discs I've checked them repeatedly it is possible it's the heat in the tower causing one of the 360's to crash (the server vents it's heat right at the 360 in question) but explain the console furthest from the server and closest to the air vent crashing all the time? I can't and the console in question is a slimline ps3. According to the things I have read theres several critical errors what wipes out PS3s and all of them about as fixable as the RROD on the 360 The main difference is that Microsoft is a company hated by so many people world wide for it's vice like grip on the computer industry that the press automatically jump upon them whenever they can to point out their failings. Sony on the other hand tend to be considered a lesser of two evils and thus have kept their critical failures on the quieter side, they're known and they're dealt with but theres very little negative press about Sony in general.

This is getting way of topic if you ask me, but I feel the need to address this because your argument is pretty poor.

You can't say you can prove that PS3's crash as often as 360's because a sample size of 2 of each isn't nearly large or varied enough to draw any conclusions. And we also can't rule out it being the way they're set up. From the sounds of things, you have four consoles running all day in an enclosed space (it's really tough to know from your description because it wasn't very clear to me). Now I have no idea how large this space is, or how well ventilated it may be, but if they're all inside of some tower and are all consistently crashing then I would be surprised if it wasn't due to overheating from inadequate ventilation. Especially if they're not outright dying and work after cooling down a bit and being restarted.

As far as actual proof of which consoles fail more often, there's been enough evidence against the 360 that it's hard to argue it doesn't fail far more. I'll take warranty claim numbers and independent polls on the issue over one person in one game store with what might be less than ideal conditions.

Anyway, as far as the actual topic, I doubt this is anything that can't be fixed with a patch once they lock down the issue. Heck, if I go to try and update my PS3 it even says that it's up to date which tells me there should be no issue with patching it once the issue is solved if it is a problem with the PS3's themselves.

cloud21zidane16
03-01-2010, 04:16 PM
This is actually getting out of hand. Ive been going through different forum sites and people are ranting like mad:p Especially when you on go on PS3 trophy sites people are so worried about losing trophies lol although this includes me to be honest as I am a bit of a trophy whore:roll2
Hope this gets sorted soon as I was really feeling a few games of Fifa:(

Dreddz
03-01-2010, 05:56 PM
This is what happens when you over-think a console. I miss the days when you just stuck a game into your system and that was it.

JKTrix
03-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Seems like this one is an 'under-think'. This is like a Y2K issue, which is bloody weird.

Latest official info (I bolded that one part for emphasis):
Latest info on PlayStation Network Status – PlayStation.Blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/latest-info-on-playstation-network-status/)

As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.

We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.

Errors include:

* The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
* When the user tries to sign in to the PlayStation Network, the following
message appears on the screen; “An error has occurred. You have been
signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)”.
* When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears
on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; “Failed to install
trophies. Please exit your game.”
* When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the
Internet, the following message appears on the screen; “The current date
and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)”
* Users are not able to play back certain rental video downloaded from the
PlayStation Store before the expiration date.

We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

cloud21zidane16
03-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Seems from Sonys update we more or less have to wait untill midnight now to see if the problem corrects itself:cry:

doeboyfresh14
03-01-2010, 09:17 PM
So is it saying that we shouldn't use the ps3 at all? are we ok if we choose to play a playstation 1 game that wouldn't matter with trophies? even though my system automatically signs in so that may be a problem.

man i really wanted to play FFVI tonight :pissed::frust::hot:

Sephiroth
03-01-2010, 09:21 PM
man i really wanted to play FFVI tonight :pissed::frust::hot:

This should be fine.

doeboyfresh14
03-01-2010, 09:35 PM
awesome. Thanks Sephiroth. I knew FFVI would never let me down!!:bou:

and in regards to the argument above. i would much rather deal with not being able to play for a day or two then get the red ring of death.

Mirage
03-01-2010, 09:37 PM
we're probably being adviced not to use it to avoid messing up our trophies or "activations" of the games we downloaded. Offline, non-trophy, non-downloaded games work fine for me, and the PS1 version of FF6 should fall into that category.

I think it's very unlikely for this bug to brick the entire machine. The OS is in no way inoperable, but the problem with the date messes up how it handles DRM and trophies, so that the games are unable to recognize the trophy files as valid. Therefore it should be possible for sony to make a "hack" around this problem, or fix it entirely, without having to send the consoles in for servicing. If not, well, nice to have known you, Sony.

Jessweeee♪
03-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Just hope nothing is permanently corrupted!

Bolivar
03-01-2010, 09:46 PM
This could be really bad. Apparently this error, up until now, has been said about bricked consoles and if it wipes out at least half of the ps3 install base... yeah this would be really bad. I know that's a sensational doomsday scenario, but all I know is I better get my Marvel vs. Capcom 2 back...

And I was just gonna get Bad Company 2 tomorrow, which is coming with a crapload of different downloadable supplements if you pre-ordered it and buy it early.

DAMN!

You can't say you can prove that PS3's crash as often as 360's because a sample size of 2 of each isn't nearly large or varied enough to draw any conclusions.

This. Iceglow, this thread is about a network problem and not hardware. Even if it was, I think it's pretty untenable to say what you're suggesting, even if you have doubtlessly enlightened us with the pretty poor state of console manufacturing in general.

LunarWeaver
03-01-2010, 09:50 PM
I was playing mine earlier and it was working just fine. Finally my brother and I decide to do something together and his won't work. He's trying all sorts of crap, and finally comes across an article that says it's a big issue, not him. I guess I was one of the lucky ones where nothing happened to mine. I'm still leaving mine off for the rest of the day after he linked me to IGN's article about it. I have other things I should have been doing anyway.

Mirage
03-01-2010, 10:00 PM
It's pretty much sure to be not just a network problem, Bolivar. Many fat PS3s that haven't been online for months have suddenly stopped being able to launch trophy enabled games.

Depression Moon
03-01-2010, 10:04 PM
I booted up LBP it took longer than usual. Although I did cut it off before I got into my pod. Does it let you get that far before it crashes?

Mirage
03-01-2010, 10:08 PM
If there is a problem, the game should throw you out when it tries to load the trophy data, before you actually start playing.

NorthernChaosGod
03-01-2010, 10:48 PM
And yet another reason trophies/achievements are a bad idea and should be down away with entirely.

Hope ya'lls :bou::bou::bou::bou: works again soon.

Bolivar
03-01-2010, 11:00 PM
It's pretty much sure to be not just a network problem, Bolivar. Many fat PS3s that haven't been online for months have suddenly stopped being able to launch trophy enabled games.

I meant it's not like a hardware failure problem where the machine just up and bricks. It is a network problem in a sense since it involves a network-feature that you had to have downloaded a patch for at some point. Actually the latest firmware comes on every disc, so never mind, you know what I mean!!!

And yet another reason trophies/achievements are a bad idea and should be down away with entirely.

This is actually a good point.

cloud21zidane16
03-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Just hope nothing is permanently corrupted!

Same! Considering online is free etc Ill accept the occasional error even to this point where we cant even play single player for a while. But if theres any permanent damage then that will kind of annoy me and Ill want some compensation, not just a sorry either:p

Sephiroth
03-01-2010, 11:46 PM
The PSN finally works.

But...hello?!

My Final Fantasy XIII trophies are still gone!

I want them back. What about people like me who almost had the platinum trophy but not every single save data before every single trophy because they didn't know such an idiotic error exists?

I so hope I can get my trophies back.

I Don't Need A Name
03-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Don't think you will be getting them back, but mines back too :)

cloud21zidane16
03-01-2010, 11:49 PM
The PSN finally works.

But...hello?!

My Final Fantasy XIII trophies are still gone!

I want them back. What about people like me who almost had the platinum trophy but not every single save data before every single trophy because they didn't know such an idiotic error exists?

I so hope I can get my trophies back.

Its working? Il try mine now.
As long as you synced all your trophies before this error occured then they should return eventually.

Sephiroth
03-01-2010, 11:50 PM
I do always synchronize them. But there is a:

FINAL FANTASY XIII - 0%

EDIT: Ah! Just another synchronization after this error and I've got them back.

Phew. Now I am happy again.

Lightening
03-01-2010, 11:58 PM
It's back, but my heavy rain trophies are gone :/ is there something I can do or do i wait?

Imperfectionist
03-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Ooooh so this is what it was!

My uncle wanted to play me at Tekken 6 earlier and his PS3 was acting up and we couldn't figure it out

It all makes sense now :D

JKTrix
03-02-2010, 12:00 AM
"ApocalyPS3" averted.

To get your trophies back, load up your game so that it creates 'trophy data' on your system, then do a trophy sync.

Once you get on, make sure your time/date is correct as well. There's an option in the settings to synchronize your time.

Crop
03-02-2010, 05:54 PM
I lost about half of my Assassins Creed 2 trophies, couldn't get them back.
No big deal though, it only took me about two days to get them. I'm just glad everything's sorted.

Depression Moon
03-02-2010, 08:27 PM
I didn't have any troubles yesterday, maybe because mine's was newer got it back in April.

Drift
03-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Seems it was an ARM chip in the older (fat) PS3's just like the Zune's last year

ARM chip at fault (http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/03/the-apocalyps3-ends-in-global-resurrection-arm-chip-at-fault/)

Bolivar
03-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Well at first it said I still had all my Killzone trophies, then when I logged in to get some of the weekly honors I got last week it started giving me the ones attached to my player profile, meaning I couldn't get any of them for beating missions, accomplishing in-game feats, etc. and I panicked. Then I synced up my trophies and I had them all, plus the weekly honor ones...

so all in all I'm ok. Thank God they fixed this before BFBC2 came out yesterday