PDA

View Full Version : COME HITHER MY MUSLIM BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!

Rodarian
03-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Now I will say a sermon.....Just Kidding:wacky:

I've just been wondering about this

First off...Am I the only frequent 'Muslim' poster here...If not then who are the others of the same faith that share the same affection for this site.
Secondly how many of you guys have Muslim friends. Do their personality lean towards liberal like me or are more conservative, and Have you ever even dated/married a Muslim....Do we scare you because of the extremist..... These are things I'd like to discuss here..

My family long ago accepted that I'll be forever be humming final fantasy victory music.
Whats funny is that I actually have met a Former EyesOn right here in Karachi Pakistan... She has long since left the place but it was an amazing discovery that she sometimes use to post here.

Flying Mullet
03-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what the religious beliefs of most of my friends are.

Breine
03-01-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't have any close friends that are muslim, but I know several people that are. I personally couldn't care less if people are Christian, Muslim or whatever... it's all about the person in question :)

Oh, and nope.. I've never dated someone with muslim beliefs. But who knows, that might happen one day.

Vermachtnis
03-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what the religious beliefs of most of my friends are.

Me either. I just no one who is super christian and another who is somewhere between Agnostic and Athiest.

And about the extremest question, not at all. I mean yeah they scare me, but its in their name, the extremest. The vast majority is normal.

Rye
03-01-2010, 05:10 PM
To be honest, where I live, it's very much equally split between Christians (mostly Roman and Greek Orthodox Catholics, with a handful of Protestants) and Jews (mostly liberal, but we have quite a few communities ranging from more moderate Jews who keep kosher, and extreme Orthodox Jews), but we don't have any communities of Muslims that I know.

So the first time I've really met a great number of Muslims was coming to England. As a result, I've been really interested in Muslim culture and religion. I don't know a huge amount, but I've done some research and it's interesting.

Extremists of anything scare me, honestly; the second most terrible place in the world I could imagine myself living in is Saudi Arabia (the first being North Korea - at least in Saudi Arabia, my sons and male relatives could have a decent enough life if they toe the line. In North Korea, everyone except for gov't officials are screwed). But the more liberal places in the middle east sound pretty cool to live in. You've made me definitely want to visit the middle east some time, Rodarian; your city sounds lovely to visit.

It is a shame to on how many countries in the Muslim middle east have been pushed into extremism because of western interference or recent events; Afghanistan, after all, was a very liberal place decades ago - women were starting to wear skirts to the knee, and were professors and professionals. It was a place that hippies visited! Hopefully they can rise above it within another few decades?

Madame Adequate
03-01-2010, 05:47 PM
I've heard it said that there are as many Islams as there are Muslims, and that just about the only thing you will find all Muslims everywhere agree on is the statement "There is one God and Muhammed is his prophet". I obviously can't speak to the veracity of that but it seems concordant with most other religious people I've met.

I don't have many Muslim friends, a couple from uni though. Nobody I know personally is particularly zealous in their religion though. A girl in one of my classes at Reading is an apostate Muslim but she has said that among the community she grew up in there are quite a few very angry, very devout young men. That's a bit scary as she'd know first-hand, but I'm not worried about extremism generally. After all part of the definition is that they're outside the mainstream opinion. They can do damage but they're not going to convince people of their rightness through it.

I knew a lot of Muslim and Sikh kids in high school, and a few Hindu. The only people who I ever saw 'do' anything really religious were the Sikhs and that was only insofar as obeying the five articles of faith, or more specifically, uncut hair.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-01-2010, 06:54 PM
At my current job, there has always been at least one or two guys who were Muslim working there. They are mostly all pretty liberal, though fasted during Ramadan, follow the dietary laws and didn't drink alcohol. Though some of them would have the occasional bit of alcohol, or cheat during Ramadan. They're always fun to work with~

I always feel bad during Ramadan when I eat or drink while at work and the sun hasn't went down yet. :s

Rantz
03-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Have you ever even dated/married a Muslim...

I thought that was against the rules for Muslims? That a romantic relationship demands that the other part is also a Muslim, and that marriage is mandatory. Maybe that's just one branch of Islam though, or maybe I'm simply wrong. Oh well.

I have a few Muslim friends, probably more than I have Christian friends, but only one that I consider to be a close friend. I am not one myself.

Rodarian
03-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Have you ever even dated/married a Muslim...

I thought that was against the rules for Muslims? That a romantic relationship demands that the other part is also a Muslim, and that marriage is mandatory. Maybe that's just one branch of Islam though, or maybe I'm simply wrong. Oh well.

I have a few Muslim friends, probably more than I have Christian friends, but only one that I consider to be a close friend. I am not one myself.

Yes and no...

Technically we can marry those who follow the teachings of God from the good books of Quran, Torah and Bible.
However its 'ideal' that 'non-muslim' be converted to Islam (or at the very least take on a Muslim name.

I have a number of direct relatives that are married to non muslim women and they have kept their names intact (only by paper that their Muslim name (after they convert)is written.

The biggest example is my mother's brother... Just last year he married a christian. I really like her a lot plus he really does adore her (My mamoo is a divorcee btw and he was married to a Muslim )

Staunch Muslim would probably follow what you wrote but there are quite number of liberals like me who think on a much broader level.

Rantz
03-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Alright, good to hear a second perspective on it.

Fujiko
03-01-2010, 09:21 PM
There are Muslims who date, even though it's not something you do as a Muslim; so I guess those who do, don't really care whether it's permissible in the religion or not. One example is there are Muslims who drink alcohol even though consuming alcohol is clearly prohibited in the Holy Quran. So it's up to oneself what you choose to do and not do, but what is prohibited will remain prohibited in the religion, whether or not a Muslim decides to follow the 'rules' in the holy book, or not. =3

I don't know that many Muslims actually, and I know like three Christians and one Jew; the rest are either Buddhists, Agnostic or don't believe in anything specific. And we all get along wonderfully :3 I grew up with ethnic Swedes around me since I was a baby, thus my friends were always Swedes, so I was usually the only one with a belief in a God (except for the occasional Christians in school, among them teachers), even though much of the Swedish culture that has Christian elements remains. Only later in high school and uni did I meet people from other cultures and beliefs. :)

The Muslims I know are all liberal; I have never known any extremist in any religion and I hope I never will! Bless you all liberals~ Extremists don't even know their own religion, they just use their religion the wrong way to justify their evil means.

And bless Sweden~ :love:

Rebellious Eagle
03-01-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't mind Muslims at all, as long as they aren't extremist. I don't think any of my friends are Muslim, though. But I could be wrong.

Fujiko
03-01-2010, 09:32 PM
... or at the very least take on a Muslim name.

You don't have to change your name to be a Muslim, and changing your name doesn't really change anything about you. It's what you believe in and what rules you live by in life that matter.

But yes, it is 'ideal that a non-Muslim be converted first' in a marriage because otherwise the two will have a difficult time living together. An important reason to why it's 'permitted' for Muslims to marry Christians and Jews is that the base principals are the same in the Torah, the Bible and The Holy Quran (because Muslims share the same God, and same prophets as Christians and Jews do, and therefore many of the basic, important rules in the holy books are the same). :)

scrumpleberry
03-01-2010, 09:39 PM
I have a few Muslim friends, probably because I live in the UK. They're not really conservative at all.

I don't mind and discussing religion and the nature of their belief and shiet with them is interesting. As long as they don't make obnoxious unfounded statements like GAY IS WRONG BLORF DORF because of their religion but all my Christian friends come out with that kind of thing a lot more often tbh. They're not actually anti-whatever-it-is, just a bit silly.

edit: Also I have to say that ramadan fasting makes me anger because I have one poor friend who is just exhausted and pissed off all the time and can't function properly and it's bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: imo, but it's none of my business and understand that it's for being closer to got or something so *shrug* She never reports EXTRA SPIRITUAL HAPPINESS during ramadan to me though :colbert:

Bunny
03-01-2010, 10:10 PM
scrumpleberry is getting angrier every consecutive post she makes

I do not have any Muslim or Islamic friends and I plan on keeping it that way. I don't trust you people and I think you have some serious issues with your wacky "faith". You should probably come together and stop bombing buildings and instead fix your weirdo-bizarre religion or something.

Nope. No Muslim or Islamic friends, but not by design. I don't have many Christian, Catholic, Jewish or Atheist friends either. In fact, I'm just completely lacking in the whole friends department right now. Maybe you would like to take up that mantle?

Jessweeee♪
03-01-2010, 10:16 PM
My friends are all bible burning atheists.

Raistlin
03-02-2010, 01:51 AM
I had a classmate in high school who was a Muslim. He was a pretty normal, friendly guy. I did not have deep religious discussions with him, though. Just based on normal smalltalk, it wasn't readily apparent he was Muslim, but it was when you saw his mother. I'm not sure how conservative his family was, but I would be surprised if he was.

rubah
03-02-2010, 02:54 AM
My first interwebs boyfriend was a Muslim. This was right after 9-11, so it caused a bit of tension! It also coincided with the time that I started to get into churchy things, which didn't help. That makes it sound like we were constantly fighting, but it was really pretty much sickeningly sweet for over a year!

I remember when he went to his cousin's wedding and wrote me a big long e-mail about everything that went on, and when he said that if he were a good muslim, he'd head to Afghanistan. You can imagine how I felt then!

I Took the Red Pill
03-02-2010, 06:43 AM
A good chunk of my friends, i.e. about 35-40% of my fraternity, are rich, liberal Jews, some are Christians, some are agnostics or atheists, and I don't have any Muslim friends, but I do have some Muslim acquaintances, they seem like cool cats.

Meat Puppet
03-02-2010, 07:04 AM
I always had the feeling that Chris was some sort of Muslim... I don’t know why

Jiro
03-02-2010, 07:44 AM
I can't say I know any Muslim people in my day to day life :(

In fact, I think the most I've ever had to do with the Muslim faith is well reading what you've said about it on here Rod :(

Rase
03-02-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm going to a Christian college in Springfield, Mo, one of the places called the Buckle of the Bible Belt, and home of both the Assemblies of God and the Baptist Bible Fellowship. I know no Muslim's sadly, though I've dabbled in the Quran and wanna read the whole thing someday.

Cuchulainn
03-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Dated a muslim girl & we're still pretty close.

Oh, and I know it's not the religion but the race....Persian girls are fucking STUNNINGLY beautiful.

Rodarian
03-02-2010, 08:15 PM
I consider you a friend Bunny!! So there you have a Muslim friend! :D

Fujiko is right with her statement and I'm impressed. Do you study history or something related to it.. I would love to live in Sweden though!

@Chulchulainn: I'm Half Persian :D BUT I'm Stunningly Cute GUY! ROFL!!

@Jiro & Rase: Well I support that you guys should do your own investigation about our religion...In actuality the Quran is very liberal, its those damn Mullahs and Extremist that take it mess the whole thing up!

@Rubah: Going to Afghanistan means getting brainwashed...Seriously unless you work for legit organization that helps to rebuild a nation rather then let regress into what it has become..Kabul use to be pretty nice an one time...
Same goes to Tehran , Iran before the revolution... I get pissed to this day of what the youth generation did to that country..And in the end they got fucked and now they regret it!!

Fujiko
03-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Also I have to say that ramadan fasting makes me anger because I have one poor friend who is just exhausted and pissed off all the time and can't function properly and it's bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: imo, but it's none of my business and understand that it's for being closer to got or something so *shrug* She never reports EXTRA SPIRITUAL HAPPINESS during ramadan to me though :colbert:

Sweet, don't be angry, it's not too healthy~ :p
If your friend knew what the Quran says about fasting, he/she would know that those incapable of fasting long hours should not fast at all. There are other ways one can show humility and to care for the poor; if you can manage, you fast, if not then there are other ways.

Well anyway, during the fasting month, Ramadan, one fasts not only to, one month every year, feel what it's like for the poor all around the world, but 'cause fasting is good for the health. Also when you fast it teaches you to appreciate what you have that many in the world don't; during this month you shouldn't work too much, you are not to fight and argue over little things, but rather be as good a person you can toward others and yourself; to reflect over your relationships with others and to make amends.

For those not practicing the faith or if you're not fasting, it's easy to only see that those who are fasting are deprived of food so long the sun is up, and that's that. But hun', Ramadan is much more than that; it teaches you alot of very important and good aspects in life, and it reminds you to be a better person, in so many ways. :) Again, appreciation~ And to be thankful~

So don't be so angry, and if your friend really isn't functioning properly, as per your own words, he/she shouldn't fast at all. Tadaa~:love:

Fujiko is right with her statement and I'm impressed. Do you study history or something related to it.. I would love to live in Sweden though!

No, I know all that because I am one. ;)
And I'm sure you'd like it in Sweden~

Old Manus
03-05-2010, 01:28 AM
I'm sorry, I've been indoctrinated in the scripture of Pat Condell, and therefore all followers of Islam are free-speech-hating terror lords.

Shlup
03-05-2010, 02:07 AM
One of the local branches of my family is Muslim. Their pretty traditional, wear the traditional clothes and such. They come straight outta Pakistan and married into my super white family. My cousin, the white one that married the Pakistani one, owns a Muslim grocery store in Corona. I applied for a job teaching at the local Muslim school but it didn't work out. I have a solid handful of Muslim friends.

So, yeah, I guess you could say I'm down with the Muslims or something. But you probably could have guess that, Rod. xD

Side note, at TheAbominatrix's trailer park I saw a bumper sticker that said "NO MUSLAMS NO TERRORISTS" and I lol'd.

rubah
03-05-2010, 03:11 AM
moar lyk no musLAMBS imho

it'd be a sheep that has muslin instead of wool.

Cuchulainn
03-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm sorry, I've been indoctrinated in the scripture of Pat Condell, and therefore all followers of Islam are free-speech-hating terror lords.

That man is a hero of free speech.

Captain Maxx Power
03-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Straight up honesty from me here; I have Muslim friends. I get on with them, some I would consider my best friends. But it is in spite of their Muslim background. The Islamic religion, from what I've read of the Quran, is offensive to my sensibilities on every level imaginable. Although I imagine you don't take everything in the Quran literally (most liberal Muslims are the same way), I can't say that the ideology endears itself in the least. In short I'll respect Muslim "people" but I don't respect the belief system.

scrumpleberry
03-05-2010, 08:15 PM
If your friend knew what the Quran says about fasting, he/she would know that those incapable of fasting long hours should not fast at all. There are other ways one can show humility and to care for the poor; if you can manage, you fast, if not then there are other ways.

Well anyway, during the fasting month, Ramadan, one fasts not only to, one month every year, feel what it's like for the poor all around the world, but 'cause fasting is good for the health. Also when you fast it teaches you to appreciate what you have that many in the world don't; during this month you shouldn't work too much, you are not to fight and argue over little things, but rather be as good a person you can toward others and yourself; to reflect over your relationships with others and to make amends.

For those not practicing the faith or if you're not fasting, it's easy to only see that those who are fasting are deprived of food so long the sun is up, and that's that. But hun', Ramadan is much more than that; it teaches you alot of very important and good aspects in life, and it reminds you to be a better person, in so many ways. :) Again, appreciation~ And to be thankful~

So don't be so angry, and if your friend really isn't functioning properly, as per your own words, he/she shouldn't fast at all. Tadaa~:love:

Thanks for your inputs bbs :aimkiss: I'm sorry for my raeg, I know I can seem a bit OTT sometimes.

I don't really have a lot I can reply with: I still don't feel happy about it, but I totally understand where you're coming from. My personal opinion is that when you let propriety and seeming to be a good Muslim/Catholic/Bahá'í to your family and community get in the way of personal spiritual beliefs or wellbeing then it's just no good brah. And that happens often in my limited observation. But I've always kind of shunned religion majorly. I've now said everything I can say, I guess.

Old Manus
03-05-2010, 09:22 PM
I can seem a bit OTT sometimes.
sometimes:lol: oh scrumples you so crazy

scrumpleberry
03-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Yes but you're a cigarette butt and also maggot so :monster:

Bolivar
03-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I've had a few muslim friends over the years, some of whom were black muslims, which probably isn't what you're talking about.

I never dated one but I did have a crush on one classmate who was very faithful. She was liberal in the sense that she never wore religious dress in her everyday life, but she celebrated ramadan and had a very close relationship with God. She was also "liberal" in the sense that she would be considered pretty far left wing (even though that's not what liberal actually means).

We were friends, but I'm taken now so I doubt I ever will date or marry one.

-----------

As far as extremism goes, having a political science degree myself, I find it very discouraging when people mis-attribute the extremism to their religion as opposed to their geo-political struggle. Go anywhere in the world where people are oppressed, and you will find "extremism". When muslims began conquering portions of the known world, they were undeniably some of the most benevolent conquerors in history. "People of the Book" had their institutions preserved, cultivated, and integrated into the dialogue of the dominant culture. Toledo in Spain was the best example of this. The people who brought Aristotle and Plato back to Europe were the Moors.

You essentially have Muslims to thank for Western science.

Rodarian
03-07-2010, 09:03 PM
No, I know all that because I am one. ;)
And I'm sure you'd like it in Sweden~

Yay!!! Finally somebody answered my query! Why didn't you say so in the first place! XD I thought I smelt something 'curry' LOL!!!

Fujiko
03-07-2010, 10:59 PM
:p Funny guy.

Rad Bromance
03-08-2010, 12:05 AM
There's tons of Muslims and tons of Jews where I live but none of them hang out with me.

Catholics really seem to dig me though.

Fujiko
03-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Straight up honesty from me here; I have Muslim friends. I get on with them, some I would consider my best friends. But it is in spite of their Muslim background. The Islamic religion, from what I've read of the Quran, is offensive to my sensibilities on every level imaginable. Although I imagine you don't take everything in the Quran literally (most liberal Muslims are the same way), I can't say that the ideology endears itself in the least. In short I'll respect Muslim "people" but I don't respect the belief system.

I respect that you have many Muslim friends, and that you respect them, as human beings and as friends, and not judge them by what you understand about their religion, this is a really noble trait that many of us actually lack, as many of us fall into the trap of judging people by their labels (in this case their religion) without actually getting to know them.

But I am interested in knowing: What is it you find offensive in the Quran, and "to your sensibilities on every level imaginable"?
As this is not the place to get into much in detail (ref eoeo), let's see if we can make some basic things a bit clearer (I'm hoping this won't be too long a read :)):

A. You need to study history and language to be able to understand the Quran; for every chapter in the book there is a background and explanation, which is difficult to understand if you don't know the Arabic language and if you don't have notes that explain the chapters from someone educated, along with the Quran (terrorists committing crimes in the name of God or Muhammad are among the most uneducated people you can find; this actually goes for actual Muslims too, who can be good people but don't understand their religion and therefore give the wrong message to non-Muslims about Islam. And usually in that case the non-Muslims don't do the research themselves and are wrongfully content with asking anyone, claiming to be Muslim, about the religion).

B. If you've read a translation of it in English or any other language, you obviously didn't get a good translation, as per your own interpretation of it being offensive, (also, the meaning of a message is pretty much lost when the message is translated to another language, and when it comes to a complicated language such as Arabic it's very difficult to translate the text correctly because the way the Arabic language is used in the Quran is unique).
Islam is a beautiful religion that has attracted over 1 billion people, and has gained the respect of millions.

C. Every translation of the Quran must follow with notes, explaining the passages in it; because you were correct in saying the Quran is many a times not to be taken literally; it is mostly filled with analogies and metaphors (and many times for a specific event, for specific people living in that era back then).

D. To understand the Islamic religion it's not enough to only do the above mentioned; yes, the Quran is a start if you want to learn about the religion, for it is the core in the faith, but after the completion of the good book back in the days, the prophet Muhammad explained many of the chapters of the Quran to the people, because they were difficult to understand (because of the unique way it was written); hence, the Quran is followed up by what are called 'hadiths'; written documents (sayings and teachings) of how Muhammad solved everyday problems, explaining the many meanings behind the commandments and analogies in the Quran. Unlike many religions which only have one book, the Islamic teachings have two sources in understanding the meaning of the faith (Quran). The Quran has the core foundations, and the prophet's practices and sayings explain them and elaborate the true meaning and applications of those foundations.

E. Most of what is written in the Quran is historical events that happened in Prophet Muhammad's time. In the Quran, in several chapters, God is commanding Muhammad what to do in given situations. Therefore, for someone who is new to this, reading eg a single sentence and then finding it offensive is really lazy on that person's part. If you don’t have a good understanding of Arabic (you don't have a degree in the language), and you get a bad translation without notes of explanation to the chapters, and you don't read the so called hadiths, then you will not understand the meaning behind the text in the Quran, and therefore not understand the context of the Islamic belief system.

F. I wish people would do more to investigate the true meanings of Islam (if they decide to assume something is offensive because they think they got the right idea about it) and actually go do some research and talk to educated people (and even then bring questions forward and ask others, and not just one person). (As a sidenote it's also good to remember that culture and religion are two separate things, which many don't realize and understand, thus ppl sometimes believe something specific being, per example, next to sinful in accordance with his/her religion, when in fact it is a cultural thing that has nothing to do with the religion).

G. It's probably a good idea to talk to your Muslim friends, as I hope they may be able to clarify many misconceptions that you might have about the religion that they follow.
If you have any specific questions or interest at all, you can PM me and we can talk. :)

crono_logical
03-09-2010, 02:14 AM
I guess I don't count since I've stopped posting frequently :p

Rodarian
03-09-2010, 08:17 PM

I respect that you have many Muslim friends, and that you respect them, as human beings and as friends, and not judge them by what you understand about their religion, this is a really noble trait that many of us actually lack, as many of us fall into the trap of judging people by their labels (in this case their religion) without actually getting to know them.

But I am interested in knowing: What is it you find offensive in the Quran, and "to your sensibilities on every level imaginable"?
As this is not the place to get into much in detail (ref eoeo), let's see if we can make some basic things a bit clearer (I'm hoping this won't be too long a read :)):

A. You need to study history and language to be able to understand the Quran; for every chapter in the book there is a background and explanation, which is difficult to understand if you don't know the Arabic language and if you don't have notes that explain the chapters from someone educated, along with the Quran (terrorists committing crimes in the name of God or Muhammad are among the most uneducated people you can find; this actually goes for actual Muslims too, who can be good people but don't understand their religion and therefore give the wrong message to non-Muslims about Islam. And usually in that case the non-Muslims don't do the research themselves and are wrongfully content with asking anyone, claiming to be Muslim, about the religion).

B. If you've read a translation of it in English or any other language, you obviously didn't get a good translation, as per your own interpretation of it being offensive, (also, the meaning of a message is pretty much lost when the message is translated to another language, and when it comes to a complicated language such as Arabic it's very difficult to translate the text correctly because the way the Arabic language is used in the Quran is unique).
Islam is a beautiful religion that has attracted over 1 billion people, and has gained the respect of millions.

C. Every translation of the Quran must follow with notes, explaining the passages in it; because you were correct in saying the Quran is many a times not to be taken literally; it is mostly filled with analogies and metaphors (and many times for a specific event, for specific people living in that era back then).

D. To understand the Islamic religion it's not enough to only do the above mentioned; yes, the Quran is a start if you want to learn about the religion, for it is the core in the faith, but after the completion of the good book back in the days, the prophet Muhammad explained many of the chapters of the Quran to the people, because they were difficult to understand (because of the unique way it was written); hence, the Quran is followed up by what are called 'hadiths'; written documents (sayings and teachings) of how Muhammad solved everyday problems, explaining the many meanings behind the commandments and analogies in the Quran. Unlike many religions which only have one book, the Islamic teachings have two sources in understanding the meaning of the faith (Quran). The Quran has the core foundations, and the prophet's practices and sayings explain them and elaborate the true meaning and applications of those foundations.

E. Most of what is written in the Quran is historical events that happened in Prophet Muhammad's time. In the Quran, in several chapters, God is commanding Muhammad what to do in given situations. Therefore, for someone who is new to this, reading eg a single sentence and then finding it offensive is really lazy on that person's part. If you don’t have a good understanding of Arabic (you don't have a degree in the language), and you get a bad translation without notes of explanation to the chapters, and you don't read the so called hadiths, then you will not understand the meaning behind the text in the Quran, and therefore not understand the context of the Islamic belief system.

F. I wish people would do more to investigate the true meanings of Islam (if they decide to assume something is offensive because they think they got the right idea about it) and actually go do some research and talk to educated people (and even then bring questions forward and ask others, and not just one person). (As a sidenote it's also good to remember that culture and religion are two separate things, which many don't realize and understand, thus ppl sometimes believe something specific being, per example, next to sinful in accordance with his/her religion, when in fact it is a cultural thing that has nothing to do with the religion).

G. It's probably a good idea to talk to your Muslim friends, as I hope they may be able to clarify many misconceptions that you might have about the religion that they follow.
If you have any specific questions or interest at all, you can PM me and we can talk. :)
:cool:

I guess I don't count since I've stopped posting frequently :p

Crono!!! I think I did forget that you are one of us! XD

Drift
03-11-2010, 12:49 PM
i read the title as "come hitler"... sorry :( I'm not muslim, technically I'm catholic but i'm turning more agnostic/atheist. Don't care what religion what my friends are as long as we all have a good time and if i offend them i'll remember next time to not to say it in front of them!
As long as people dont force their beliefs and try and get me to convert I dont mind :)

Aerith's Knight
03-11-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm an evangelic christian, which encourages your own interpretation of bible, so I'm certainly aware that not all muslims are the same. I have plenty of muslim friends here, the Netherlands being a multicultural pot of mushie things, after all.

I've always been a strong believer that forcing religion on someone will only drive them further away, and may even invoke anger.