PDA

View Full Version : Rain Etiquette

Jiro
03-02-2010, 07:33 AM
The Sunshine Coast is being a hypocrite lately, and we've had about three days of constant rain. Something like 150mm in 24 hours or something, I dunno I don't listen to the news that much.

Anyway, I've been walking around campus in the rain today and noticing how the people with the umbrellas are controlling the covered areas, leaving poor sods like me to walk in puddles as well as directly in the rain.

I think they're being rude! They have portable protection, whereas all I have is my hoodie. I think they should move so I can walk under the tiny amount of cover. Not that I really mind, it was more the fact that they were kind of shunting people out into the rain. I saw one guy have to duck and dodge a wild umbrella and almost fall in a puddle!

Although I found it somewhat amusing how all these people were freaking out about getting wet, even while they're wearing like three layers of clothes, have umbrellas and are standing under covered areas. This isn't England, the rain is mostly vertical, so I'm pretty sure you're safe with just an umbrella.

So I guess discuss whatever you want to discuss in relation to rain and umbrellas. :jess:

PS I found this mangled umbrella on the path and I was going to rip off the handle to use as a kind of cool weapon/walking cane but there was this guy just watching me so I ended up throwing it in the bin and running in here (on second thought I should have probably kept it in case he followed me).

demondude
03-02-2010, 07:39 AM
One must wander in to the rain tea in hand, umbrella drawn. :cheers:

Rye
03-02-2010, 08:36 AM
England rain is always vertical and generally wimpy. It's New York rain that isn't vetical, Jiro, get it right! :irked:

Walking around on the narrow sidewalks when all people have umbrellas is incredibly awkward!

NorthernChaosGod
03-02-2010, 09:56 AM
That seems like a dick move, I'd never force someone to walk out in the open while I have my umbrella.

Even with more horizontal rain, my umbrella is large enough to protect me. :cool:

Mo-Nercy
03-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Back in my first year of uni, the uncharacteristic weather condition of hail struck Sydney. They were only small pellets so it was possible to walk through it, but realistic really only with an umbrella.

So there we all were, a bunch of uni students, gathered under a small rotunda to take shelter. Little did everyone know, I was only pretending to not have an umbrella, because I was just scouting for the hottest girl there to offer my chivalrous charm to.

I found the hottest girl, stood next to her for a while. Bit of small chat about the weather. Names exchanged.
"Oh hang on, I think I may have an umbrella after all..."
*pretend fumble through bag*
"Well whaddya know! Would you like to walk to the station with me?"

SCORE!

I never saw her again.

Pheesh
03-02-2010, 11:15 AM
SCORE!

I never saw her again.

Sounds like my Friday night!! *Hi-Five!*

Aaanyway, I never ever find myself owning, carrying or using umbrellas. I usually have a jumper on, and if it gets wet you just take it off when you're inside.

Jiro
03-02-2010, 12:05 PM
England rain is always vertical and generally wimpy. It's New York rain that isn't vetical, Jiro, get it right! :irked:

I've been fed lies! Obviously it has to be someone else's fault as I've never been there :jess:

I have an umbrella in my car, but due to the insane flooding, my mother decided she'd better drive me to uni today! Not that I use umbrellas, it's too much effort to open them up and then close them. Thick jumpers/jackets are the way to go imo.

Rase
03-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Why would you use an umbrella? Just tough it out and get a little wet.

Breine
03-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Look at it this way - the wet look is totally hawt! :bigsmile:

Unbreakable Will
03-02-2010, 04:07 PM
I hate people who do that, it's snowing/raining today and people on my campus are doing that too. Cept I don't take it, some arse with their umbrella was glaring at me trying to wait me out on a narrow walkway and force me to walk in a HUGE puddle, so I decided to shove past him. He was the one that got his pantlegs wet today xD.

I remember waiting for the bus when I was in the 9th grade, and this thunderstorm blew up out of nowhere. Luckily my friend Caitlin had an umbrella, but the rain was extremely sideways and we had to hold it in front of us against the wind. ;~;

qwertysaur
03-02-2010, 05:44 PM
In New York, when it drizzles you can get by without getting too wet even without an umbrella, just walk fast/run.

When it rains then even if you have an umbrella you are going to get wet unless you know how to use it. And you hold on tight, it's not too uncommon to see an umbrella fly away. :p

NorthernChaosGod
03-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Why would you use an umbrella? Just tough it out and get a little wet.

My main jackets are made of leather and wool respectively, not gunna happen.

In New York, when it drizzles you can get by without getting too wet even without an umbrella, just walk fast/run.
Running gets you more wet, Mythbusters says so. :semicolonpee:

Rebellious Eagle
03-02-2010, 09:18 PM

Okay, well, on guys it is. Not girls. :P
I hate the rain. Especially the rain here on the East coast, because it likes to blow into my eyes and then my contacts get screwed up. >.<
So I'm pro umbrella. :D

Shiny
03-02-2010, 09:26 PM
New York rain is brutal. The strong winds when it rains breaks every umbrella I have. And then it just flies right in your face so you have to hold the umbrella in front of your face instead of over your head.

Breine
03-02-2010, 11:03 PM

It's hot on both genders! Hot hot hot! :bigsmile:

rubah
03-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Of course you're dealing with poor etiquette jiro! They've never had any cause to practice

Jiro
03-03-2010, 01:12 AM

Breine knows where it's at :cool:

It's sunny on campus today, still very wet though. I'm kind of disappointed, I like the rain (partially for the afore mentioned reason :D)

Raistlin
03-03-2010, 04:17 AM

And Mythbusters is the pinnacle of scientific research. :p Running can also be not so much about being less wet as simply spending less time being outside and cold and wet.

Anyway, people with umbrellas should quit whining about the rain (unless it's a big storm), but so should people without umbrellas. If you care about getting wet, then in most circumstances you should have a better raincoat or an umbrella yourself.

qwertysaur
03-03-2010, 04:49 AM

Breine knows where it's at :cool:

It's sunny on campus today, still very wet though. I'm kind of disappointed, I like the rain (partially for the afore mentioned reason :D)
*chases with a sprinkler* :p

NorthernChaosGod
03-03-2010, 05:06 AM

And Mythbusters is the pinnacle of scientific research. :p Running can also be not so much about being less wet as simply spending less time being outside and cold and wet.

Hey! I did the semicolon pee face. :|

Yar
03-03-2010, 08:37 PM

I always think about it when driving in the rain. When I'm sitting at a stop light it's like "oh the rain is ending" but then I speed up and suddenly "WHAT IS THIS, A HURRICANE?"

Jess
03-03-2010, 09:47 PM
We had some really horrible rain last week. It was raining really hard and it was so windy my brolly turned inside out because of the rain, it was horrible! I need a dome umbrella, because they don't do that.

If I have a big enough bag with me that day, I always take an umbrella as the weather is so unpredictable here sometimes!

The only time umbrellas annoy me is on the journey to-from work, because everybody is commuting in the masses and you have to umbrella-dodge eachother all the time! ee.

Zeldy
03-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Back in my first year of uni, the uncharacteristic weather condition of hail struck Sydney. They were only small pellets so it was possible to walk through it, but realistic really only with an umbrella.

So there we all were, a bunch of uni students, gathered under a small rotunda to take shelter. Little did everyone know, I was only pretending to not have an umbrella, because I was just scouting for the hottest girl there to offer my chivalrous charm to.

I found the hottest girl, stood next to her for a while. Bit of small chat about the weather. Names exchanged.
"Oh hang on, I think I may have an umbrella after all..."
*pretend fumble through bag*
"Well whaddya know! Would you like to walk to the station with me?"

SCORE!

I never saw her again.

Cutest thing I've ever read. :heart:

NorthernChaosGod
03-04-2010, 04:58 AM

I always think about it when driving in the rain. When I'm sitting at a stop light it's like "oh the rain is ending" but then I speed up and suddenly "WHAT IS THIS, A HURRICANE?"
SEE?! I was right. :smug: