PDA

View Full Version : How should they handle the new Superman reboot?

The Fat Bioware Nerd
03-03-2010, 10:43 PM
I think the next Superman film should be essentially the Superman version of Batman '89. In the '89 Batman film, Bruce has been The Dark Knight for quite a while but gothamites aren't sure that he actually exists. It should be the same for the sixth Superman film. Clark has been The Man of Steel for a while but he rescues people so quickly and flys away so fast that Metropolitans barely catch a glimpse of him and thus they're not sure that he actually exists because what happened to them was too unbelievable.

That probably sounds like a lame idea to you, but I don't care. My ideas will never see the light of day anyway.

Slothy
03-03-2010, 10:57 PM
That's pretty much the opposite of what Superman is when he's actually in the tights and the cape. He tries to be, and is, a symbol of hope for the people of Metropolis, and you can't really do that in the way he tries without making yourself very visible, offering an example for people to look up to. Batman sticks to the shadows because he can't be that same larger than life symbol of hope, and trying to be would actually get in the way of what he does. He stays out of the limelight because he wants to remain a mystery to both criminals and the people he helps. Doing so let's him be more than just the man he is and turn into more of a legend than a man with some fancy gadgets and good training otherwise could be.

I think a here and gone before you see him Clark Kent only works when dealing with a younger Clark, before he fully commits to becoming the hero only he can be. And to be perfectly honest, I don't see the need to do another origin story. It's been done and redone in movies and TV and most people are familiar with it. Best to skip that step entirely and get straight to Superman the established hero as far as I'm concerned.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
03-04-2010, 12:52 AM
That's pretty much the opposite of what Superman is when he's actually in the tights and the cape. He tries to be, and is, a symbol of hope for the people of Metropolis, and you can't really do that in the way he tries without making yourself very visible, offering an example for people to look up to. Batman sticks to the shadows because he can't be that same larger than life symbol of hope, and trying to be would actually get in the way of what he does. He stays out of the limelight because he wants to remain a mystery to both criminals and the people he helps. Doing so let's him be more than just the man he is and turn into more of a legend than a man with some fancy gadgets and good training otherwise could be.

I think a here and gone before you see him Clark Kent only works when dealing with a younger Clark, before he fully commits to becoming the hero only he can be. And to be perfectly honest, I don't see the need to do another origin story. It's been done and redone in movies and TV and most people are familiar with it. Best to skip that step entirely and get straight to Superman the established hero as far as I'm concerned.

Well, yeah of course Superman is a symbol of hope in the comic books but sometimes people wish Superman would nix his "boy scout" attitude. (I'm quoting someone from IMDb)

"Not only have we seen his [Superman's] humble beginnings we've all been violently bashed about the head and testicles with it..."Alien with human parents in a small farm town" great...Let's move on...Let's see an old and grizzled, bitter and hatefilled Superman...That's what I'm talking about." - PatriotsCelticsBruins

I don't necessarily think Superman should be "hatefilled" but maybe an older Superman who doesn't make his presence known would be more interesting than the typical symbol of hope. And there could be a good reason why Superman doesn't make his presence too.

McLovin'
03-04-2010, 10:12 PM
DC Comics or whatever already made a new animated Superman where he goes rogue. It's all been done.