PDA

View Full Version : FFV question

Tyrant57
03-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Hello everyone! I have a small question. I'm new here so nice to meet everyone. I've played through most of the FFs and I just started my first FFV file and it seems to me that the job system is a bit of a chore. The question is, how many jobs should I give each character? Any help would be nice, also if you have any other tips It would be helpfull. thanks for the time guys!

Saber
03-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Well whats easy about the Job system is that if you select a Job for a character to be (other then bare), you are a master. The only thing holding you back on the mages is buying the spells. What I mean is you start off being able to use most of the abilities.

Its also how you use the jobs and the skill you are as a gamer. I would suggest, Knight, thief, White mage, black mage for starts. Then move to something like a monk or ninja as a replacement for your knight (which you will have learned some stuff if not mastered), a geomancer for your thief (so you can have the secret paths and null floor damage abilities), and maybe switch your mages around (meaning turn the white mage into a black mage and vice versa) or learn some blue magic or level up a red mage.

VeloZer0
03-05-2010, 01:03 AM
If you are like me and don't like casters because they run out of MP, get the Monk's Brawl ability (15+30 AP), and your casters will do the same attack damage as a Monk if you remove their weapons.

Sticking with a Knight for several levels is also worth it because at lv3 (10+30+50 AP) you can learn Double Grip, allowing you to hold a sword with two hands for double damage.

As for White and Black Mages, you don't gain any benefit from leveling the class past the level you need to cast the magic spells you own.

There are tons of ways you can build your party in this game, so just pick whichever classes you like.

Tyrant57
03-05-2010, 01:08 AM
I have a knight, monk, white Mage, and blk mage and I am thinking I want a summoner and a dragoon, or samurai also where do you get these job classes?

Saber
03-05-2010, 01:50 AM
I have a knight, monk, white Mage, and blk mage and I am thinking I want a summoner and a dragoon, or samurai also where do you get these job classes?

You got a good set up. I forgot about summoners when I made my original post. You get these job classes by each crystal dungeon you complete some (later in the game) are hidden, one I can think of is mime, but there may be more. Most are found in the story line though.

VeloZer0
03-05-2010, 02:41 AM
I know in different versions they have added new classes. I have only ever played the SNES version so I can't comment. In the original Mime was the only secret class. (And only available at the end of the game)

Tyrant57
03-05-2010, 04:03 AM
Yeah summoner is gonna be awdome so should I keep raising the four classes I already have or switch? they are all on level three

Wolf Kanno
03-05-2010, 04:33 AM
I'd say play with all of them really. All the classes are really good in one way shape or form. Bard's kick ass at taking down the undead, Samurai do insane damage, Sorcerers/Mystic Knights do major damage, Time Mage is a great support unit, and Blu Mages are godly in this game.

Don't just stick to classes raise a classes level and then use their abilites as a sub job to either increase the effectiveness of other jobs (Double grip/Two Handed for warrior classes like Samurai and Berserkers or Heavy Armor and Bare Handed for Mages) really its all about making effective combinations and any class you master, their innate abilites automatically transfer to the Mime and Bare/Freelancer class.

Play around and have fun to be honest. :choc:

Tyrant57
03-05-2010, 03:27 PM
I just switched my blk Mage to a blue mage, how do I learn magic with him? Haha sorry, I sound like a noob

Saber
03-05-2010, 03:33 PM
To learn a blue magic you must be hit by the spell by an enemy. Sometimes you have to use the !Control ability, sometimes you have to use a blue magic on them first and some just do it as a random attack. I would suggest you look up the list here on the eyesonff front page. That will tell you which ones can be learned.

Lightening
03-05-2010, 04:56 PM
This game sounds very interesting.

Sephiroth
03-05-2010, 06:50 PM
To learn a blue magic you must be hit by the spell by an enemy. Sometimes you have to use the !Control ability, sometimes you have to use a blue magic on them first and some just do it as a random attack.

You don't need to use the "!Control" command if you don't want to. It is enough to use the advantage of the confu status. This works as well - and I like it because I do not train the Trainer job early and so you can learn magics like Mighty Guard by Stingray as well - well while fighting Stingray you should use rings to absorb water as long as you don't control it, because even confu is dangerous without rings because of its Tidal Wave but that's just something I want to mention.

But Mighty Guard is definitely one of the best Blue Magics - in my opinion the Blue Magic - so I can recommend the Blue Mage's spells. Not only X-Death is easier with it.

Shin Gouken
03-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Yeah summoner is gonna be awdome so should I keep raising the four classes I already have or switch? they are all on level three

Some of the summons are missable i'd like to mention, in fact i think quite a few are. You might want to have a quick peek at a guide. I understand you might want to avoid spoilers but i really wouldn't want to miss Golem or Carbuncle. Shiva, Ramuh and Catoblepas (which i think are missable) arn't so hot but still they have their uses.

Again with Blue magic you'd want to peek at a guide. At the very least it's a good idea to learn Might guard, and White Wind. 1000 Needles is especially effective if you pick it up as soon as it becomes available, it is however easy to miss unless you already know where it is.

As mentioned already, sticking with the knight to learn the 2-handed ability early is recomended, especially if you pair it with a mystic knight and cast an enemies weakness on a sword held in two hands (That'll completley destroy some bosses) And Barefist from a monk placed on a mage allows them to hit like a ton of bricks (just bear in mind you will still have to consider their formation - from the back row they deal 50% less damage with physical attacks but also receive -50% damage from physical attacks. Mages can't handle their physical damage through a lack of defense)

Only other things i can mention is to master the ninja class to carry over his duel wield ability, and the ranger class for his rapid fire ability. Pair the two together and have fun

Tyrant57
03-06-2010, 02:11 AM
Ok, well for now I ditched the Blue Mage and gave my Blk Mage the Time Mage Job, I guess Im going to train in every job class but idk if im going to train the same class on more then one character. Would that even be necessary? and Im pretty sure I skipped some stuff already so Im going to order a guide soon. ... and Im about 50/50 when it comes to spoilers, I dont mind them that much as long as its not like its HUGE twist or something. Thanks everyone for all your insight, its been pretty helpful.

heutenitaz
04-28-2010, 06:09 AM
It says a lot that after all these years, the class-changing system and its ATB mechanics still go toe-to-toe with just about everything that RPG manufacturers put out today. It's addictive, deep, and easy to pick up and play. What else do you need?