PDA

View Full Version : Behold! (Cell phones)

Vyk
03-05-2010, 03:17 AM
If you'd be so kind as to click the attached picture you will notice the mecca of the texting generation. Screw QWERTY keyboards. Screw 10MP cameras. Screw THERE'S AN AP FOR THAT

You got a special ringtone for everyone who calls you?

Well I have a special "ring" tone for everyone who texts me

HA

Well, there's trouble in paradise

This is one of LG's "glory days" phones. When the enV and Chocolate were first introduced. Their little brother was the phone I have. The VX8300. They were all part of the same "family". As in they all had generally the same features. Cameras, text tone option, and mp3 players. Just different packaging based on your preference

And the whole "text alert ID" thing died out with those phones as far as anyone I know is aware. But everyone I know uses Verizon. In America. And this was ... 3 years ago? I love this phone, but its slowly giving up the ghost. Fortunately I was lucky enough to grab a "gently used" one off Amazon that was damn near brand new. Beautiful condition. It just concerns me. If that phone dies for whatever reason. Finding a phone with text ID capability is damn near impossible to accomplish

Dude at Verizon once told me it was "proprietary". There's a chance he was speaking out his ass. But I suppose there's also a chance someone owns the rights to adding the ability to set text tones. If so I'd LOVE to know who that is. I don't care about their bad market morals. I will buy their phones if I can set text tones

So really, this topic is if anyone knows of ANY other phones that have an option similar to this

Otherwise, feel free to brag about your favorite cell phone and its options :D

Brennan
03-05-2010, 03:23 AM
Sorry, but I rather having the text tone of the guy yelling "Run bitch, ruuuuun!" from the original Scary Movie instead of a unique one for everyone.

But for any other phone to have a different text tone for everyone, I think my Nokia can do that, if I put everyone in their own separate group. I'll check later.

Vyk
03-05-2010, 03:33 AM
Its just an -option-. Of course you can just set a default tone and leave everyone's alone. I'd never do that. I love knowing who's texting me by the sound my phone makes. And I have a program and lots of video game soundtracks to make hundreds of tones. The memory card for my phone currently has 150'ish tones I've made to choose from ^_^

... /addict

rubah
03-05-2010, 03:35 AM
I just wish I could use my own ringtones without having to sacrifice small goats.

That is to say, I managed it precisely twice and never again.

Brennan
03-05-2010, 03:38 AM
The memory card for my phone currently has 150'ish tones I've made to choose from ^_^

:eek:
I wish I had a memory card for my phone, but alas, I do not.

rubah
03-05-2010, 03:43 AM
I do, which makes it more excruciating, but at least I can take a :bou::bou::bou::bou:load of pictures.

Vyk
03-05-2010, 03:49 AM
What's the problem, rubah? Is it giving an error or just making you jump through hoops? If you have a really old phone, it's probably more likely you'd need to hack in ringtones with a data cable o.o newer phones should be less complicated

I'd give my brother's one Samsung props for letting you set MP3s straight to ringtones. That'd be pretty awesome and convenient. As it stands, I have to send myself pix messages with the tones as sounds and save as ringtone before I can use them

But when it comes to phone hacking and work-arounds, I've had a little experience :}

rubah
03-05-2010, 03:54 AM
Don't worry, I've read about half the 60 page thread on Howard Forums dedicated to getting ringtones on the LG Glimmer! And like I said, I succeeded.

Once.

Bluetooth is out of the question, but I have a data cable. Downloaded Bitpim, both versions released for mac. No go. I think it was actually on XP that it worked. A few times, I've been able to find my phone in bitpim on mac, but for some reason, I couldn't delete the DRM file that checks if you're trying to modify the folder you need to drop the mp3 into.

anyway, I'm just biding my time at this point. I have about 80% of what I have known I wanted to do. The touchscreen is a POS anyway. What is the purpose if you can't use it and there is no backup method of interfacing? :p

Shoeberto
03-05-2010, 03:59 AM
I just wish I could use my own ringtones without having to sacrifice small goats.

That is to say, I managed it precisely twice and never again.
Poor Billy and Kiddo... I was hoping to show them at the fair, but I guess you really wanted your ringtones...

Vyk
03-05-2010, 04:02 AM
Haha

Well sounds like rubah needs a new phone too... How hard is it to make a great user-friendly feature-full phone these days. Everyone wants to put a tablet pc in your pocket. And they're so fragile 'cause they're trying too hard to be state-of-the art, and haven't perfected the future yet

Baloki
03-06-2010, 11:14 AM
My Omina II is pretty nice and cos it's Windoze it doe's that text alert thing and also changes your hat dependent on who calls.

Rodarian
03-06-2010, 02:18 PM
My (new) Nokia 2370 doesn't seem to have text msg id tone (which usually attache to the ringtone id)

I miss that feature that old motorola l6 had but I do love my new one!! :love:

Sacrifices must be made I guess...

Mirage
03-06-2010, 02:34 PM
I thought that feature was pretty common. I think any symbian phone has got it, as well as Series 40 Nokias.

-edit-
Actually nope.

Brunettepudding
03-06-2010, 02:48 PM
I've got a Samsung Freeform, and usually when people text me, it plays 'To Zanarkand'

Ahaha, I'm such a nerd.

Vyk
03-06-2010, 04:07 PM
My Omina II is pretty nice and cos it's Windoze it doe's that text alert thing and also changes your hat dependent on who calls.
I'm told there's a few smartphones that can do it. But those features are probably so deep in their OS it'd be hard to figure it out just browsing in the store. Thanks for verifying one for me :D

Dignified Pauper
03-06-2010, 04:42 PM
it's a software dependent thing. Newer phones abandoned it because it wasn't necessary. Some smartphones can still do it. Like my droid can do it fairly easily.

Necronopticous
03-06-2010, 04:50 PM
My phone is not fancy.

<center>http://www.necronopticous.com/upload/nokia-5130-xpressmusic.png</center>

Mirage
03-06-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm told there's a few smartphones that can do it. But those features are probably so deep in their OS it'd be hard to figure it out just browsing in the store. Thanks for verifying one for me :D

If it's a smartphone, there is also the possibility of there being a third party add-on that can do it.

Moon Rabbits
03-06-2010, 08:11 PM
i bought my phone from a grocery store.

hells yes president's choice pay as you go phone.
pretty much i'm the hippest
person there is.

Jiro
03-08-2010, 12:56 PM
I can set unique tones (I'm not sure if its ring and message, or just one) as well as caller ID photos. Of course I'm too unoriginal and want to use pictures of those people and I'm also too lazy to take photos of every contact I have.

I almost died when my LG Shine couldn't play a song of my choice for the message tone.

I've got a Samsung Freeform, and usually when people text me, it plays 'To Zanarkand'

Ahaha, I'm such a nerd.

I'll see your text tone, and raise you a "Devils Never Cry" ring tone from Devil May Cry 3, a "MJOLNIR Theme Remix" message tone from Halo and a "Those Who Fight Further" alarm tone from The Black Mages. I also occasionally use the credits from Portal for stuff, but it's too quiet for important things. Heh :smug:

Mirage
03-08-2010, 12:58 PM
My alarm tone is Motoi Sakuraba - Preemptive strike.

smittenkitten
03-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I haven't actually looked to see if it can use a special ring tone for certain people's text messages, I'll look later. Even if my phone couldn't I still love it, i liek a phone to have a little bit of everything, because I'm really picky.

Here is my Sony Ericson C902 (Best phone I've had yet)

http://ucables.com/img/extra/SONY-ERICSSON-C902-UN-R43568-1.jpg

Features:

* Cybershot
* 5 Megapixel
* Touchscreen Camera Options
* MP4 Player
* Support up to 8GB Micro M2 Memory Card
* FM Radio

I would recommend this phone to eveyone! :mogumogu:

Brunettepudding
03-09-2010, 01:10 AM
I can set unique tones (I'm not sure if its ring and message, or just one) as well as caller ID photos. Of course I'm too unoriginal and want to use pictures of those people and I'm also too lazy to take photos of every contact I have.

I almost died when my LG Shine couldn't play a song of my choice for the message tone.

Ahaha, I'm such a nerd.

I'll see your text tone, and raise you a "Devils Never Cry" ring tone from Devil May Cry 3, a "MJOLNIR Theme Remix" message tone from Halo and a "Those Who Fight Further" alarm tone from The Black Mages. I also occasionally use the credits from Portal for stuff, but it's too quiet for important things. Heh :smug:

You, sir, are a spectacular person.
<3

Quindiana Jones
03-09-2010, 01:35 AM
He lives in a cave, I hear.

NorthernChaosGod
03-09-2010, 08:19 AM

I'll see your ringtones and raise you a Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Ducktales, Mortal Kombat, Star Wars and Futurama theme. :cool:

Blue Harvest
03-09-2010, 02:22 PM
I can have different ringtones for different people but I use 30 Seconds to Mars' 'This Is War' for everyone.

My text tone is Sonic 1's extra life jingle *shot*

Quindiana Jones
03-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Every time I get a text, I hear BH saying "Hey Arthur, you're sexy!".

Vyk
03-10-2010, 05:39 AM

LoL That's what my default text tone is xD Good taste. My pix text is the end of the level fanfare. I have two people who text as mario. One person as megaman

And a ton of random ones

Blue Harvest
03-10-2010, 08:26 AM

Oh god, you didn't actually put that on your phone? :monocle:

Dignified Pauper
03-10-2010, 03:41 PM
my text message sound is Kefka's laugh.

Necronopticous
03-10-2010, 03:50 PM
My ringtone is <a href="http://blogs.nerve.com/61fps/2009/05/06/the-legend-of-totakas-song/">Totaka's Song</a>. My text message alert tone is the Item Catch jingle from The Legend of Zelda.

Rantz
03-10-2010, 05:52 PM
I like this turn of thread.

My ringtone is "A Place to Call Home" from FFIX, and my text message is the... well, in Ocarina of Time, when you ride Epona and there's a "carrot meter", and there's a little sound when it refills (http://noproblo.dayjo.org/ZeldaSounds/OOT/OOT_Carrot.wav)? Yeah, that.

NorthernChaosGod
03-10-2010, 09:00 PM

my text message sound is Kefka's laugh.

I like this turn of thread.

My ringtone is "A Place to Call Home" from FFIX, and my text message is the... well, in Ocarina of Time, when you ride Epona and there's a "carrot meter", and there's a little sound when it refills (http://noproblo.dayjo.org/ZeldaSounds/OOT/OOT_Carrot.wav)? Yeah, that.
Beyond nerdy, all of you. :P

smittenkitten
03-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Oh yeah my ring is "Boyfriend" from Alphabeat! I think the intro to the song is the best ringtone ever! :heart:

VexNet
03-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah my phone has the ability to set unique contacts ring & text tones.

sony ericsson C905

It's pretty cool, I haven't got the tunes downloaded for what I want to use for some people yet though. I want to get the Star Wars Darth Vader Imperial March theme for those who I don't really want to be called from (like work etc).

Ringtone:
ELLEGARDEN - Fire Cracker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeRtArRGMTg)

Text:
Jet Set Radio Groove #3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhFtpHhg7K0)

Alarm:
Pendulum - Hold Your Colour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtD1IpH5a5Q)

Jowy
03-11-2010, 11:00 PM
blackberry curve 8530.

ringtone is the Song of Time from Ocarina of Time.

text message/BBM is PK Starstorm.

Vyk
03-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Craaaap. I was so tempted to switch to a smartphone just for the possibilities. But I don't require "internet anywhere" features. And yet -THEY- require you to have the unlimited data plan with smart phones so that you do have all those features. So... I went ahead and customized and activated the gently used / brand new replacement for my phone

Though I do like the turn this thread took :D

My default text tone is now a remix of Korobeiniki. Which is the Tetris theme <3 I have a category for people I don't talk to much but feel are safe to hear from which plays the Zelda item catch fanfare. So that's basically a secondary default. And a category for people I really don't want to hear from I use the Mario "time is running out" warning xD

Specific text tones people currently have are: Kirby's SSB theme, Mario 2 overworld, Sonic 1 Marble and Labyrinth stages. Sonic 2 boss theme. Mario 3 player down melody. And the Forever Rachel theme from FF6

(Edit: Oh yeah. I have two Shining Force tones that probably only like 6 people would appreciate. But I had to mention them too xD And my alarm is going to be the opening theme from the first Wild Arms, y'know. The whistle~)

For actual calling ringtones I have the Crystal Prelude, an OC Remix of the Monkey Island theme. Dr Mario's SSB theme. And Sonic 3 Knuckle's beat on repeat for calls I don't like :D

...I think that's it. Even though I made like 60+ ringtones last week... Maybe I should take requests. 'Cause making my own ringtones seems to turn out leagues better than the websites people use o_O Anybody want -high- quality sounding ringtones? :P

Also, thanks for all the replies~! <3

NorthernChaosGod
03-12-2010, 04:35 AM
And the nerdiest member is... :p

Quindiana Jones
03-12-2010, 09:51 AM

Oh god, you didn't actually put that on your phone? :monocle:

YEAH BABY. :love:

Blue Harvest
03-13-2010, 09:26 AM
I never should have made that damn voice clip :x_x:

Vyk
03-14-2010, 04:50 AM
I've made 9 more ringtones :3

Edit: also... this is my main wallpaper, and the little front screen wallpaper is my current avatar :}

rubah
03-14-2010, 05:02 AM
Calls: http://www.snowy-day.net/stuff/music/absolute.mid
Texts: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff3/sounds/midi/ff3lute.mid
My best friend's ringtone is http://ffmusic.ffshrine.org/ff5midis/ff5-1-10-pirates_ahoy!.mid

The next time I can get my phone connected, this will go on, too http://www.midishrine.com/ostepop/sns/Seiken_Densetsu_3/can_you_fly_sister.mid