PDA

View Full Version : Poor li'l fella!

Pheesh
03-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Ok, so I found a snake on my kitchen counter the other day. It was probably young-ish (and I'm still not sure what the exact species is, my guess would be a gwardar, although the colouring wasn't exact, so it could be something else). Long story short, I picked up the pot it was hiding under, saw it and freaked out, hit it with the pot, and it died.

Now...snakes don't generally bother me, they're pretty good as long as you leave them alone, and I haven't had any prior problems with them actually coming into the house. But on this occasion I think the fact that I was casually picking up a pot, and was caught so off guard by how close I'd been to it I just did what was natural and thwaked it. So I'm starting to feel a little guilty.

My question is, do you guys ever get the guilts after you kill a bug (be it a cockroach, or a simple ant) or another small animal? Or are you one of those people that kills on sight?

Rebellious Eagle
03-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Sometimes I feel bad for killing a bug, unless it was antagonizing me and I just had to kill it. Like the bug that was in my shower one day. I didn't feel bad at all for killing it. :<

Raistlin
03-07-2010, 05:04 PM
They invaded my space; they must suffer the consequences.

I don't casually kill anything bigger than insects, though.

rubah
03-07-2010, 05:06 PM
EE => australia => snake => poisonous by default ;)

I feel a little twinge for gross things like centipedes, cockroaches, etc

I feel a bigger twinge for poisonous spiders

I release the nonpoisonous nongross ones outside.

I would be too afraid of a snake to even approach it xD "daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddy halp plz"

I was going out to mow the lawn (so the grass was kinda tall), and directly in my path was a large king snake, sunning himself. I freaked out royally and ran back inside xD I know that king snakes are A-OK, but ah, call it Biblical~

Went back out, he was gone, which is almost worse-- "omg, where is he now"

but I was safe on the mower

Pheesh
03-07-2010, 05:48 PM
EE => australia => snake everything => poisonous by default ;)

Rodarian
03-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Well I hate snakes in general so I have no qualms if someone killed them :P

Oh and Mosquitoes. They must all perish...

Zeldy
03-07-2010, 08:56 PM
If there's a spider in the bath tub, I quite happily drown it.

Imperfectionist
03-08-2010, 12:14 AM
I actually like snakes so i'd feel pretty bad to kill one.

Bug and spiders and stuff scare me to my very soul though. I can't get close enough to kill them in the first place :(

Brunettepudding
03-08-2010, 12:32 AM
I usually put anything outside if it's not a cockroach.

I found a baby one in my shower the other day and drowned the bastard.

Shlup
03-08-2010, 01:19 AM
I usually put anything outside if it's not a cockroach.

Me too, on both accounts.

If I see ants I just clean the kitchen. Spiders I make BJ take care of.

Bunny
03-08-2010, 01:40 AM

I totally misread that.

cloud21zidane16
03-08-2010, 01:51 AM
Sometimes when a spiders been sitting in the same position all day and I finally decide to kill it I feel a little bad:roll2

qwertysaur
03-08-2010, 01:52 AM
I totally misread that.
I did too :/

Meat Puppet
03-08-2010, 07:45 AM
But Whacking Day is two months away!

NorthernChaosGod
03-08-2010, 10:05 AM

I totally misread that.

Yeah, I did a double take. I was kind of disappointed.

Pheesh
03-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Cockroaches are nasty. I take them out with no mercy, and especially if they're large. Everything about them is really just not pleasant (has anyone seen it when the really big ones kinda lift themselves up on their legs and run around really fast?). Spiders I'm pretty ok with, I get quite a few redbacks around the place so I obviously kill them, but other types are fine to leave around, 'specially because they get rid of mosquitos and flies.

I also hate mice, I have to lay down poison and traps most of the year, they really annoy me cause if they ever get into the house then they start messing with my cereal boxes and other stuff that's in the pantry.

NorthernChaosGod
03-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Oh, as for the thread topic, I'm a kill on sight person. Pretty much anything that wanders into my home will end up dying quickly, unless it looks like someone's pet.

Mo-Nercy
03-09-2010, 03:39 PM
I've seen a few funnel web spiders in my time and they're pretty scary, but they've never been in the house so I just leave 'em alone.
As for more household bugs, I generally kill on sight.

But I draw the line at mice. I love mice! I used to own several and in summer when we kept their cages outside, I would go outside in the mornings to top up their food and there'd be 2-3 wild mice running around outside the cages trying to get their domesticated cousins out. It was cute. I started leaving some food for them too, just outside the cages, but my parents put an end to that.

Quindiana Jones
03-09-2010, 03:47 PM
I had the exact same experience with my neighbours toddler, EE. Don't worry about it.

Pheesh
03-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Pfft, you felt guilty for the toddler? That's just crazy talk.

Quindiana Jones
03-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I just meant the death by pot thing.

~*~Celes~*~
03-13-2010, 07:17 PM
I hate bugs :( I was just sitting here like a couple of days ago and a bug randomly dropped down on my desk beside me, scared the ever-living out of me. :\

Iceglow
03-13-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm a bit of a strange one, I don't mind bees and wasps and generally knowing that when you kill one by crushing them, the venom in their stinger acts as a beacon drawing more of the buggers I'll just find a way to get the bugger outside and let it go free, same with ladybugs. Flies ect I will spray with an insecticide normally because if you don't then you'll end up with them laying eggs and nothing is worse than suddenly having an infestation of flies, as my mom learnt one year, thankfully I had just moved out. It's spiders where I get a little strange, most of the year I will kill or remove a spider depending on how I feel at the time straight away however in my area of london summer and autumn bring daddy long legs or as american's might know them, crane flies. Crane flies freak me out seriously I have a detestation of these things. They're like the only insect I have an actual fear of, I used to suffer with arachnaphobia pretty much until my nan took me to London zoo to get a zoo keeper in the bug house to help me get past the phobia (I almost killed a tarantula that day in the zoo!) but I've always been freaked by the crane flies. It's during summer and autumn I will leave any and all spiders I find alive in my house where they are because when a crane fly gets in a mere air-freshener/deodrant spray will then direct the freaky thing in to the nearest web and it will be eaten.

I've never had roaches and hopefully touch wood never will I don't think I'd be very happy with them running around my house, anything that will survive a nuclear blast but can't survive a rolled up news paper needs to die out imho or else teach us the nuclear blast trick and then die out.

I have also accidentally killed 2 pidgeons with a piece of flint, I was trying to scare them out of the tree where my nieces swing was tied up because she was scared of them. I threw the stone and it hit the branch, being flint this caused the stone to split in two and zoom off in opposite directions, unfortunately the two halves somehow hit both birds in the head and killed them both I would have felt guilty but I thought it was just too awesome. I did feel bad though in a way, my niece witnessed it and since then has never forgiven me for killing the all of a sudden cute birds.