PDA

View Full Version : FF Speedrun

Tyrant57
03-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Ok I didnt see this on here so I wanna ask, whats the fastest youve beaten a Final Fantasy, what game was it and what was the time at the end?

VeloZer0
03-07-2010, 11:37 PM
I've never actually 'speedrun'ed a FF title, but I did take a bet to see if I could beat FFVII without eating/sleeping/etc... That ended at 21:42. I didn't doddle, as I was getting hungry and tired, but I wanted to enjoy the game as well seeing as I hadn't played it in a year or so.

Rad Bromance
03-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Once I decided to just play through FFVII as fast as possible. My time when I was at the final restpoint in the Northern Cave was 15:15. That would be my fastest of any of the FF games.

cloud21zidane16
03-08-2010, 02:09 AM
My fastest is with FFIX when I was going for the Excalibur II. My time was around 11:30ish. I still have a save just before I recieve it so I might check:) Although technically with all the restarts etc it took a lot longer than 12 hours:p

Raistlin
03-08-2010, 03:10 AM
An old friend from FFWA and I used to do speedruns of FF7. His fastest time was something insane like just over 12 hours, which I never beat. I haven't done that in about 9 years, though, and never attempted speedruns on another FF game.

VeloZer0
03-08-2010, 03:39 AM
12 minutes? How is that even possible? I looked online and I the best I can find is over 7 hours.

Rad Bromance
03-08-2010, 04:16 AM
12 minutes? How is that even possible? I looked online and I the best I can find is over 7 hours.
I'm guessing he meant "12 hours".

Seven hours is pretty impressive though.

VeloZer0
03-08-2010, 05:29 AM
I just assumed he knew of some crazy exploit :)

Raistlin
03-08-2010, 05:39 AM
Hours, minutes, whatever. Measurements of time are just arbitrary constructs.

Mirage
03-08-2010, 12:48 PM
I beat FF5 in just 13 arbitrary constructs.

cloud21zidane16
03-08-2010, 03:05 PM

I was talking in hours if you were referring to me:p

oddler
03-08-2010, 06:20 PM
FFI for the Eyeson Plays event. Like a little over 6 hours I think? GBA SP version.

I also tried the super fast FFVII playthrough one time but cracked and went to sleep after the first disc.

Pretty sure I've beaten FFIV in ~4 hours using emulation frameskip. :choc2:

Mo-Nercy
03-11-2010, 12:38 PM
My fastest is with FFIX when I was going for the Excalibur II. My time was around 11:30ish. I still have a save just before I recieve it so I might check:) Although technically with all the restarts etc it took a lot longer than 12 hours:p
I did this too. I think I only JUST made it too. But yeah, that's game time. In real time, it took me like 6 months because it drove me absolutely insane whenever I random-encountered. Boss fights were a bitch too.

I replay FF8 the most out of all the games and I could probably speed run it if I wanted. It's definitely the easiest one to do it on, but it depends on how you want to tackle it. I have two ideas:
1) Don't learn Enc-None. Level up naturally and draw good magic from monsters as they level up too. This cuts out the big time-wasters of Triple Triad and Card-ing.
2) Learn Enc-None. And play Triple Triad just enough to get Abyss Worms and refine them into Windmills and refine those into Tornados. It makes for an above average Str junction that you can get early game and most likely, go through the entire game with. Junction to Squall or Zell, keep them in low health and ignore all other junctions. Maybe learn Initiative later in the game.