PDA

View Full Version : Stop speculating!

Loony BoB
03-09-2010, 01:11 PM
My Mum was terrible for this and Danielle can be bad for it too. What do you think of people who speculate out loud what they think will happen when you're watching a movie, TV episode or even playing a game? It infuriates me! Especially when they're right, because it takes away any surprise you might have got and it's just... grr!

Worst in movies, probably. Not so bad in TV episodes because there is a long series (eg. Lost) and you're all bound to wonder out loud after a while, and it's actually interesting to hear what people think. But movies and games? No! Never!

Rantz
03-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Yes, I completely agree. If you're right, you're gonna take away from the experience for the people around you, and if you're wrong you're just gonna look silly. And there are no prices for the best predictor anyway! xD

I may be guilty of almost subconciously doing this on occasion, though. :shifty: But I really do my best to keep my speculations to myself!

Mirage
03-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Are you kidding, i love doing that.

PeneloRatsbane
03-09-2010, 01:28 PM
No way, speculating together is part of the fun. don't take entertainment so seriously. Its for funsies and if u take it to serious then you are doing it wrong. Spoilers are bad for sure but a bit of harmless speculation aint so bad

Flying Mullet
03-09-2010, 02:44 PM
I piss my wife off quite regularly when watching tv shows and movies as I'm very bad about this. Take <i>Avatar</i> for example. When the main character was talking to the colonel in the big mech I told her there would be fight between the main character as a na'vi and the colonel in that mech. When the hero was checking out that giant dinosaur/bird skull I told my wife that he'd bond with one before the end of the movie and be the next big hero. And when Sigourney Weaver was dying and they tried to transfer her to her na'vi body I told her that the hero would end up giving up his human life and become na'vi for real. Is it possible that she saw these things too and that they were pretty obvious for everyone? Absolutely. But I can't resist pointing that stuff out.

But when speculating is part of the show I think it's absolutely required. Just like BoB said, <i>Lost</i> is a perfect example.

Momiji
03-09-2010, 03:00 PM
If the movie or show is on, shut the hell up.

Inferno
03-09-2010, 03:05 PM

Especially in a theater !! :mad2:

Tavrobel
03-09-2010, 03:30 PM
AWW :bou::bou::bou::bou: DON'T GO IN THERE, HE GON' GET YOU, HE GON' GET YOU AIYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I never do it, but it's kind of funny to see people do it, and watch other people freak out. Those arguments that evolve to full-blown chaos are worth the money I spent to see the show, and I don't mean the movie.

Jessweeee♪
03-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Really it depends on the situation. Sometimes I do it with glee, other times I'm like, "hey...HEY...shutupplease"

Pheesh
03-09-2010, 04:38 PM
I piss my wife off quite regularly when watching tv shows and movies as I'm very bad about this. Take <i>Avatar</i> for example. When the main character was talking to the colonel in the big mech I told her there would be fight between the main character as a na'vi and the colonel in that mech. When the hero was checking out that giant dinosaur/bird skull I told my wife that he'd bond with one before the end of the movie and be the next big hero. And when Sigourney Weaver was dying and they tried to transfer her to her na'vi body I told her that the hero would end up giving up his human life and become na'vi for real. Is it possible that she saw these things too and that they were pretty obvious for everyone? Absolutely. But I can't resist pointing that stuff out.

But when speculating is part of the show I think it's absolutely required. Just like BoB said, <i>Lost</i> is a perfect example.

You just broke the hearts of the 10 people who are yet to see avatar and decided to take a look in this thread. XP

I do it sometimes, and sometimes it can be annoying, especially if it's not the right kind of movie for it. But it is no where near as bad as watching a movie with someone who's already seen it, and them saying "...ready...?", "Oh...you're gonna love this part!" "Ok, Are you watching this?"

Vermachtnis
03-09-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't watch movies enough to actually care. But when playing games I sometimes do have a friend who sets back and makes terrible predictions. "Hey, hey! I think that old lady is the final boss. Kill her! Kill her now!" "I'm playing Pokémon." "Do it! DOOOOOO EEEEEEEEET!"

Raistlin
03-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Speculating in and of itself is not especially annoying to me, but I am constantly annoyed by people who talk during movies, especially in theaters. My mom is particularly bad about this, and will ask questions whenever she's unsure of anything, even when the answer hasn't been revealed yet. Just STFU and watch the movie.

I don't care about talking during games, though, so speculate away. If they're right, so what? You didn't know until you found out for yourself anyway.

Rye
03-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Good thing I'm not coming to Edinburgh, BoB!

Seriously though, I never speculate in a theater because that's just ruuuuude but when I'm just with Huxley I love to speculate twists in TV shows! Movies, not as much. When we watched through the 5 seasons of Babylon 5, I predicted like, nearly every plot twist and surprise! I felt so awesome.

Slothy
03-09-2010, 05:29 PM
And when Sigourney Weaver was dying and they tried to transfer her to her na'vi body I told her that the hero would end up giving up his human life and become na'vi for real.

Speaking of this, early on in the movie I wondered how they'd manage to get him living with the Na'vi at the end. Because I knew it was going to happen, but they needed to get around the whole being separate from his Avatar body and not being able to breathe. Then they got to that scene.

Honestly, there are times I wish that I couldn't even hear myself speculating in my head. I kind of ruined Shutter Island for myself because I figured out what was going on less than halfway through. I definitely don't like when people speculate out loud during movies and the like either because I'm usually trying to enjoy it and don't need any thoughts other than mine spoiling it for me.

But like people have said, with shows like Lost it's ok. Those are meant to be talked about. Part of the experience is trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

When we watched through the 5 seasons of Babylon 5, I predicted like, nearly every plot twist and surprise! I felt so awesome.

I actually hate when I do that. I didn't enjoy much of Season 4 of Lost because I kept figuring out what was going to happen a few episodes in advance. It wasn't that the season was necessarily bad because it wasn't, it just meant that I was never shocked by a show that's pretty much based around shocking the audience and keeping them in the dark.

Bunny
03-09-2010, 05:32 PM
The Lady and I speculate like crazy when it comes to TV shows; not so much with movies though. I get very angry when people talk during a movie or tv show, which makes it sort of amusing that we do it so much. Usually it is during a commercial or a manual pause, which makes it a bit easier.

rubah
03-09-2010, 07:28 PM
I think it's fun xD

Rye
03-09-2010, 07:47 PM
The Lady and I speculate like crazy when it comes to TV shows; not so much with movies though. I get very angry when people talk during a movie or tv show, which makes it sort of amusing that we do it so much. Usually it is during a commercial or a manual pause, which makes it a bit easier.

Yeah, we always manual pause for that speculation!

blackmage_nuke
03-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Im ok with chatter as long as its not during the climax of the movie or the season finale of a series

Definitely not in theaters though

NorthernChaosGod
03-09-2010, 08:56 PM

A million times this. I almost exclusively prefer to watch movies or TV shows by myself for this specific reason, people can't help but talk and then I want to hit them. If you want to speculate, fine, but keep it to yourself. :mad2:

Loony BoB
03-09-2010, 09:24 PM
For what it's worth, I don't mean "Oh, I bet the hero and the bad guy fight at the end" speculation which is kind of... obvious. xD I mean things like figuring out The Usual Suspects, Se7en, anything like that - figuring out the ending before it happens and you lose any sense of surprise. When a movie is designed around a dramatic twist and you've been told the twist already, it ruins it.

EDIT: On a sidenote, just because everyone should have seen Avatar by now doesn't mean everyone has, so I've marked the relevant spoilers (even if some were obvious enough to me xD). It's not even finished showing at the cinema yet!

Meat Puppet
03-09-2010, 09:31 PM
I wrote the script for most TV shows so I like to ruin them for the people who enjoy (them).

Captain Maxx Power
03-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Punch to the damned head. Also for anyone who talks when I'm watching something for the first time. There's a unique thrill I get from seeing a narrative unfold before me, plus I have problems following storylines anyway so being distracted pisses me off. That's why I love theatre really; if people start talking they usually get kicked out.

Breine
03-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Speculating in and of itself is not especially annoying to me, but I am constantly annoyed by people who talk during movies, especially in theaters. My mom is particularly bad about this, and will ask questions whenever she's unsure of anything, even when the answer hasn't been revealed yet. Just STFU and watch the movie.

Yes! Argh, I hate it!

Cuchulainn
03-10-2010, 03:15 PM
It's all so they can say 'SEE? TOLD YOU'.

Flying Mullet
03-10-2010, 04:10 PM
EDIT: On a sidenote, just because everyone should have seen Avatar by now doesn't mean everyone has, so I've marked the relevant spoilers (even if some were obvious enough to me xD). It's not even finished showing at the cinema yet!
It's been three months, that's plenty of time. :p

Oh, and I'm going to speculate about speculating by speculating that people speculating about speculators are specualtors.

blackmage_nuke
03-11-2010, 07:37 AM
If a movie is ruined for me because I can see the ending coming a mile off, THEN IM TAKING YOU DOWN WITH ME! :hot:

Loony BoB
03-11-2010, 08:45 AM
It's been three months, that's plenty of time. :p
You shouldn't really post spoilers for anything here unless it's an FF which was released years ago (and hasn't been re-released recently). There are always going to be people who have not yet seen a film or something and it's pretty ignorant to assume that it's okay to spoil things at any time, really. Especially if a thread isn't marked in any obvious way to be about what you're spoiling.

For what it's worth, I know about ten people at work alone who still haven't got around to seeing Avatar yet. I consider them weird, but obviously there are a lot of them. They still intend on seeing it, though.

Shlup
03-11-2010, 09:30 AM
I don't typically mind when other people do it, but I don't at all. Like BJ'll be like "I saw that coming" and I totally did not because I wasn't bothering to even think ahead and I'm all super surprised and intrigued.

Slothy
03-11-2010, 12:12 PM
You shouldn't really post spoilers for anything here unless it's an FF which was released years ago (and hasn't been re-released recently). There are always going to be people who have not yet seen a film or something and it's pretty ignorant to assume that it's okay to spoil things at any time, really. Especially if a thread isn't marked in any obvious way to be about what you're spoiling.

You're a pretty cool guy BoB but seriously, if people are talking about a four year old movie you haven't seen yet, even if the thread isn't marked as containing spoilers, you should know you're taking your chances.

If a movie is ruined for me because I can see the ending coming a mile off, THEN IM TAKING YOU DOWN WITH ME!

I like your attitude. :cheers:

Faris
03-11-2010, 01:25 PM
One of my best gal pals does it all the time. It used to drive me up the wall, and occasionally it still does because I'll be trying to pay attention to the dialogue when she does it.

Vermachtnis
03-11-2010, 03:25 PM
For what it's worth, I know about ten people at work alone who still haven't got around to seeing Avatar yet. I consider them weird, but obviously there are a lot of them. They still intend on seeing it, though.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm not really interested in it, soooooo :p

PeneloRatsbane
03-11-2010, 03:48 PM
I think the avatar things would be annoying in the cinema, because as you watch the film all of those things mentioned are clearly set up and introduced for further plot bits. The whole film is painfully predictable and so someone saying "Oh i bet...." to you will be annoying cos you would have already figured it out.

Pheesh
03-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Pfft, are there people out there seriously watching Avatar for the story?

PeneloRatsbane
03-11-2010, 04:21 PM

no but its a long time to sit and look at something that's mostly just pretty and yeah i appreciate the skill and hard work that went into it but it really was too thin in the story department.

Flying Mullet
03-11-2010, 04:36 PM
If your coworkers wouldn't browse EoFF then this wouldn't be an issue! :p

Loony BoB
03-12-2010, 07:23 AM
You're a pretty cool guy BoB but seriously, if people are talking about a four year old movie you haven't seen yet, even if the thread isn't marked as containing spoilers, you should know you're taking your chances.
For what it's worth, if a thread is made in The Lounge titled "The Sixth Sense" then yeah, you should pretty much expect it to be full of spoilers. I mean more threads like this, which aren't titled or directed towards any specific movie. It's like the chapters threads in the FFXIII forum - you should exect spoilers. Likewise, though, if you were to go into a thread titled "How do I use a potion?" you shouldn't expect to have the story spoiled in any way.

It's all about using the ol' noggin.

Pheesh
03-12-2010, 09:07 AM

no but its a long time to sit and look at something that's mostly just pretty and yeah i appreciate the skill and hard work that went into it but it really was too thin in the story department.

Fair enough. But I really don't think it matters. I didn't go to the movie expecting a great story, and I wasn't actually expecting the 3D visuals to be as amazing as they were, so I was still happy with the experience.

TBH, I went the whole movie expecting that it would end with the aliens getting wiped out.

VexNet
03-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Yeah, my girlfriend has a tendency to speculate out loud, and is right almost everytime, while I never know what's going to happen.. even if it's the most predictable show in the world, I always expect nothing to pan out the same, even if I've seen it before it makes me feel the same way I felt the first time I watched it. -easily enjoys shows-

Fair enough. But I really don't think it matters. I didn't go to the movie expecting a great story, and I wasn't actually expecting the 3D visuals to be as amazing as they were, so I was still happy with the experience.

TBH, I went the whole movie expecting that it would end with the aliens getting wiped out.
I thought they would lampshade the aliens and kill them off too. shaame.

I thought the 3D effects of Avatar were so-so. The ambience effects were amazing, but the rest were not great, I've seen better about 5 years ago. but then that other movie was in an IMAX curved cinema.

...I wish I saw Avatar in the IMAX. =[

Pheesh
03-13-2010, 03:03 PM
No IMAX where I live, they got rid of our last true IMAX a few years back. I would have loved to have seen it like that, but I still couldn't believe my eyes, the whole thing just had me feeling so immersed.