PDA

View Full Version : Are you a lazy mofo?

Shlup
03-10-2010, 04:37 AM
So, like, now that you can avoid battles, are you? When I was inside the thing I totes ran past a whole line of those things on the way to the next plot point. I really don't think I've missed any treasure... orb-things yet though.

I used to be one of those people who had to get every battle and save my gil and use potions only in an emergency, but I'm finding things far more enjoyable taking it less seriously.

Raistlin
03-10-2010, 04:45 AM
I still do all the fights. I'm typically a grinder, but I'm contenting myself with just fighting every enemy I can.

Lightening
03-10-2010, 04:59 AM
I haven't ran past a fight yet, and I'm having trouble with some fights so I don't think I will do it any time soon. maybe I just suck at fighting in this game

G13
03-10-2010, 05:10 AM
No. I grind. I've gotten to the point where I can't "level up" anymore but I'm still not stopping. I'm having way too much fun to stop.

Bunny
03-10-2010, 06:00 AM
I fight everything I can. I'm not that far into the game, but I've yet to have a non-5 star battle :x

Shlup
03-10-2010, 06:14 AM
Yeah, what's up with that? I swear it's not possible to have a battle that isn't five stars. If you have had a four star battle please raise your hand so that we can all point and mock you.

Freya
03-10-2010, 06:17 AM
I had a 4 star one but I don't know why because I didn't do anything different? I think I was just lazy about it so my time wasn't as quick. But hey I had steak to eat!

Otherwise I've been trying to hit every battle. It's made the game a lot easier I think.

Lightening
03-10-2010, 06:20 AM
just wait shlupsquack, you'll get used to zero stars pretty soon:tongue: I get them all the time when i don't pull off stagger.

Raistlin
03-10-2010, 07:10 AM
Yeah, what's up with that? I swear it's not possible to have a battle that isn't five stars. If you have had a four star battle please raise your hand so that we can all point and mock you.

You'll have more four-star battles, or even less, later on. :p For the first couple of chapters, the battles are all very simple.

Madame Adequate
03-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Haha qft, me and Jess thought it was super easy because we only had one four-star fight for like hours. Then suddenly bam, people have armor and we need to learn how to stagger :(

Also Rye walked past several fights. Once I grabbed the controller from her and went back to have them :mad2:

Psychotic
03-10-2010, 09:40 AM
I've walked past a couple. But if you've got a treasure chest - uhhhh....treasure floaty-sphere, I guess? - behind you, you bet your ass I am going to take you down to get to it.

Rye
03-10-2010, 09:43 AM
I only walk past fights that are annoying and won't give me much CP!

Sephiroth
03-10-2010, 11:24 AM
If you don't fight you will regret it later. The final dungeon and the final boss will crush you like nothing.

Chloe.
03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
I don't think I've walked past a single fight yet, but I'm only on Chapter 3 or 4 at the moment.

Raven Nox
03-10-2010, 08:32 PM
In the random battle days, I ran from fights all the time, and was often underleveled. Now that I have the option to avoid them, I fight every battle. I don't think I've skipped one yet, but it's likely because I try to max all the classes on the new sphere grid thing-y as soon as I can before they open up more of it. xD

Sephiroth
03-10-2010, 08:45 PM
In the random battle days, I ran from fights all the time, and was often underleveled. Now that I have the option to avoid them, I fight every battle. I don't think I've skipped one yet, but it's likely because I try to max all the classes on the new sphere grid thing-y as soon as I can before they open up more of it. xD

That's useless. You need millions of Crystal Points to maximize your characters and later one slot needs 30000-60000 and even 120000 Crystal Points. And you get the last Crystarium Level when you have beaten the final boss. Later you will get the Growth Egg (Final Fantasy VI) which doubles the CP all your characters get after a battle. Then you only have to use the training spot I have posted on youtube (6600 CP in 10-15 seconds, later less than 10 seconds and 13200 CP with the Growth Egg) and you can get your 7 Crystarium trophies earlier but it still takes you 100 years.

Shlup
03-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Dude, Sephiroth... you are kind of a downer.

Sephiroth
03-10-2010, 10:42 PM

That's my job.

G13
03-10-2010, 10:49 PM
The first couple of fights I had when Sazh was the leader I got 3 stars or less. I hated using him against the Pulsework Soldiers. I knew how to stagger them he just wouldn't do it sometimes. Sometimes he was fast enough, sometmes he wasn't.

Shlup
03-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Yeah, having all magic-users against those guys is harsh. I feel like a tard running back and forth trying so hard to sneak up on them to get the preemptive strike.

That's my job.

Well I can't argue with that. xD

Sephiroth
03-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Well I can't argue with that. xD

Believe me, in case you want to get the trophies you want to have an efficient way to train your characters.

G13
03-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Right, 'cause no one here has played an FF before. :roll2

Shlup
03-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Don't be snotty, Guardian. The dude's just trying to live up to his namesake.

Sephiroth
03-11-2010, 12:48 AM

Ah, ha, ha, ha...you cannot compare this training with the others. You will see. Later.

G13
03-11-2010, 12:58 AM

Ah, ha, ha, ha...you cannot compare this training with the others. You will see. Later.

Yes, you're right, I will see... when I get to it... on my own.

Rad Bromance
03-11-2010, 04:03 AM
I got a zero star battle just a few minutes ago.:riiight:

Freya
03-11-2010, 05:26 AM
I feel like sephy is ruining the game for me :( Put that shiz in spoiler tags! Whatever it is you're spoiling dammit. I dunno what you're spoiling but you seem like the type who would do that.

Bunny
03-11-2010, 05:37 AM
I got my first 4-star battle because one of the enemies dodged several of my attacks. :(

G13
03-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Is that the lowest you've gotten?

Bunny
03-11-2010, 10:00 AM
So far yes.

But I'm not that far into the game because of school and getting ready to show my apartment while I'm in San Diego.

Sephiroth
03-11-2010, 07:02 PM
I feel like sephy is ruining the game for me :( Put that shiz in spoiler tags! Whatever it is you're spoiling dammit. I dunno what you're spoiling but you seem like the type who would do that.

Aha...lol? "I seem like the type" and you don't know about the "spoiler" which is not even a spoiler because I just say it gets more difficult later? That's very interesting. And more offending than the "spoilering" of mine. Nothing I have written tells you anything which ruins Final Fantasy XIII. I have just mentioned the Crystarium gets more expensive. And that's not really a sursprise.

Serapy
03-11-2010, 08:34 PM
I don't grind, lol. I just skip normal enemies and go for bosses. I may start grinding in Ch. 11, though.

No grinding challenge = ftw.

Shlup
03-11-2010, 11:11 PM
I approve of Serapy's methods. I hadn't skipped any for awhile, but I skipped a bunch of dudes in chapter six. xD

Raistlin
03-12-2010, 01:02 AM
I skipped a couple finally in chapter 9. There are some enemies that, while I could beat them, take a while. I once took what seemed like forever to beat these three giant robots, turned out to be four or five-something minutes, and I still five-starred the battle. You start to really need to know how to stagger even normal enemies quickly, not just bosses.

G13
03-12-2010, 02:06 AM

Aha...lol? "I seem like the type" and you don't know about the "spoiler" which is not even a spoiler because I just say it gets more difficult later? That's very interesting. And more offending than the "spoilering" of mine. Nothing I have written tells you anything which ruins Final Fantasy XIII. I have just mentioned the Crystarium gets more expensive. And that's not really a sursprise.

I think she said that because you've been hinting at things in other threads. Spoiling the game isn't limited to coming right out and telling us what happens.

Loony BoB
03-13-2010, 02:32 AM

That's useless. You need millions of Crystal Points to maximize your characters and later one slot needs 30000-60000 and even 120000 Crystal Points. And you get the last Crystarium Level when you have beaten the final boss. Later you will get the Growth Egg (Final Fantasy VI) which doubles the CP all your characters get after a battle. Then you only have to use the training spot I have posted on youtube (6600 CP in 10-15 seconds, later less than 10 seconds and 13200 CP with the Growth Egg) and you can get your 7 Crystarium trophies earlier but it still takes you 100 years.
I don't think there's any problem with skipping battles as long as you're going to level up by fighting random dudes just before the boss if you can't kill him after a couple of attempts. It's usually pretty obvious when you need to put in a few more fights and when you don't. Let everyone play things their way, that's the way I see it - if someone finds themself needing to get more CP I'm sure they'll know what to do.

Basically what I'm getting at is that it's not useless. For the level that Raven Nox is (or was at the time of her post), I'm sure her role levels were limited. It's only been recently for myself that I've not been able to easily fill up the crystal-thing, so yeah.

Sephiroth
03-13-2010, 02:47 PM
If you haven't leveled before the final dungeon monsters are too strong, Loony. So it is useless because you cannot use them for your training other than the monsters from Pulse which are way easier. Of course you can pass the final dungeon but it is very difficult then.

RPGCreator
03-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Well. I was only running from the fights at the start so far when the tutorial tells you about fleeing from enemies. That time and the strange dragons/birds when you play Vanille and zach after the djungle part. :cool:

Madame Adequate
03-14-2010, 01:47 AM
If you haven't leveled before the final dungeon monsters are too strong, Loony. So it is useless because you cannot use them for your training other than the monsters from Pulse which are way easier. Of course you can pass the final dungeon but it is very difficult then.

I see where you're coming from but if you run away from a fight worth 100 CP it's not going to make a whole heck of a lot of difference when you're needing 20,000 CP for a single Crystarium node.

Sephiroth
03-14-2010, 01:54 AM
I see where you're coming from but if you run away from a fight worth 100 CP it's not going to make a whole heck of a lot of difference when you're needing 20,000 CP for a single Crystarium node.

That's correct. But arrive at the final dungeon and you will see what I mean it is unwise to run away from every single battle. You don't get only 100 CP (I know it was just an example) during your normal monster story line battles. If you skip most of them you'll see the difference. And the final dungeon is even difficult if you do these battles. I'd rather have a difficult dungeon than a very difficult dungeon - as long as it is no sidequest. The final boss is strong enough.

Jings
03-14-2010, 08:02 PM
I haven't skipped any battles yet (just started chapter 11) but I'm a little concerned at the sheer lack of 5 star boss battles I'm getting compared to other people here. Boss battles, at least the most recent ones, are all ending in 0 stars. It's not that they're too difficult, I haven't been killed in a boss battle yet, they just seem to take me a while. I generally go with COM SYN SAB to start and then switch to COM RAV RAV to deal damage and stagger, and switching to MED when appropriate, so I'm not entirely sure where I'm going wrong.

Anyone got a good idea of what level my equipment should be by chapter 11 too? So far Lightning has a lvl 20 Gladius and that's it, everyone else is still using their vanilla lvl 1 weapons and accesories which I'm assuming is limiting their damage dealing potential and lengthening the battles. Also, using a sentinel for an entire boss battle seems like a surefire way to get 0 stars. When fighting Cid I was just too scared to switch to a more offensive minded paradigm setup than COM RAV SEN. Going from full health to 0 in one swift spam attack seemed like a distinct possibility in that battle.

That's not really an issue for me though seeing as I've only used a sentinel in that one battle. Any thoughts? Anything better than COM RAV RAV for staggering? I don't think I'm under-levelled because like I said I haven't skipped any battles yet, I haven't done any grinding either so maybe I could do with staying in an area and getting a little extra CP.

VeloZer0
03-14-2010, 08:12 PM
After the chain gets high enough that it won't fall off you can switch to RAV RAV RAV. Also once they are staggered the percentage keeps going up, so having RAVs pile on the DPS is almost even more important when they are staggered than when you are building up to it.

You can also switch between COM RAV RAV and RAV RAV RAV every few turns or so. Build the first bit up with COM, then go RAVx3, then back to COM when the chain starts going down uncomfortably fast between attack rounds, and so on.

Loony BoB
03-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Okay, now that I'm in chapter 11, I skip a lot of battles when going through narrow areas. If I want to battle, I spend a lot of time in an area where there are a lot of guys I can beat for decent enough CP.

eestlinc
03-16-2010, 07:54 PM
I ran past a couple of the tougher monsters in chapter 6. mostly because it was a long way from the save point and I didn't want to accidentally die.

Shlup
03-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Okay, now that I'm in chapter 11, I skip a lot of battles when going through narrow areas. If I want to battle, I spend a lot of time in an area where there are a lot of guys I can beat for decent enough CP.

Yeah, I sneak past the hard guys. It's Munchkin genocide over here though.

Raistlin
03-16-2010, 08:41 PM
I ran past a couple of the tougher monsters in chapter 6. mostly because it was a long way from the save point and I didn't want to accidentally die.

But if you do die you can just restart from immediately outside of the battle. :confused:

Loony BoB
03-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Which, on a sidenote, is awesome.

Raistlin
03-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Yeah, it is nice, though pretty much necessary considering the game is made to expect you to die. Hell even normal baddies, at least later in the game, can kill you if you're not paying enough attention.

I started doing this, mostly fairly early on doing Marks when you're running up and down this same narrow path. I'll fight 'em all once, but the second and third time I start running by some of the more avoidable ones if they're annoying to fight.

And wtf at the Munchkins.

Ontibile
03-17-2010, 05:46 PM
So far the only things I've run past are the Scalebeasts. I fight them if they're in front of something I want (treasure), but other wise, I'm a lazy mo-fo and I don't want to take 2-5 min killing something in a random encounter. Besides, they're slow and easy to get around.

I tried to run from a few of the aircraft in Palumpolum but lolfailed. :tongue:

I think on the second go through that I do, I might actually take the time to kill everything I encounter, but this first time I want to get to the end so I can see how it all turns out!

Shlup
03-17-2010, 10:03 PM

I love them, pawing at your with their ineffective little mitts. xD

I've murdered so many of them. :|

Ontibile
03-24-2010, 03:19 AM

I have now reached the Munchkins.

They are easy prey. I admit to killing many, too. In fact I don't pass them up... ever. :|

Lightening
03-24-2010, 03:35 AM
Ugh, so many hard battles in chapter 11. it's so annoying to die near the end of a 15 minute battle. I run too much now because I've gotten a bit lost and I can't figure out which way is back to the easy enemies!

VeloZer0
03-24-2010, 03:47 AM
Ugh, so many hard battles in chapter 11. it's so annoying to die near the end of a 15 minute battle. I run too much now because I've gotten a bit lost and I can't figure out which way is back to the easy enemies!

I totally go lost right at the start of Ch11 and ran into an area with a spawn of two King Behemoths right beside a treasure chest. Took me three hours to figure out a way to kill them. Fun times....

Raistlin
03-24-2010, 03:53 AM
That reminds me, I should go back and find that chest. I saw it way back when I was barely able to tackle one.

Darkwolf090
03-25-2010, 05:13 PM
I just got myself my Growth Egg what gives CPx2 to all chars as long as it equip to just one char, so no, I kill everything muhahahahaha! Also just got myself Save The Queen for Snow, I wish I had that Coat....
[!]<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden">[/!][!]Session data[/!][!]<input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">[/!]

Ashi
03-26-2010, 12:03 PM
I haven't skipped anything yet. In fact, when I can I tend to clear areas more than once if I see that stuff has respawned (which I'm sure they did at some point...just don't remember when). But the sheer amount of battles now is kind of tiring, I was enjoying myself more a few chapters ago :cry:

finaloblivion
03-29-2010, 11:24 PM
haven't skipped any battles so far, considering now that later in the game (im at ch10) crystarium upgrades are very expensive and developing my characters is key. not only that, but ill do everything i think i should in a fight and get it over quickly, and ill get one star! wtf!! so naturally, i always run around, wait for the battles to respawn, and try my hand at it again to see if i can wrastle up a few more stars. battles are...hard now, for sure. i know the rating system doesn't mean much, but i do care about it. i don't like being told i did a 0 star job when death was clawing at my sneakers and i brought myself back from being offed by a giant phosphorescent blob

EDIT: saying the ranking system doesnt mean much was a little premature. the rankings you get in battle don't affect CP, but it certainly affects the quality/quantity of spoils

Rinoabella
03-31-2010, 02:10 PM
I always fight ever single battle cos I feel like I should. I admit that I ran around a few during Chapter 12 though. Also, with all the exploring we got to do in this game :roll2, fighting monsters became my favourite part of the game!

The only time I dodge battles is when I am on a mission and I don't want anything to get in the way.

Cloudane
04-05-2010, 11:55 PM
I fought most battles, for the simple reason that I didn't want to be underlevelled. But I sometimes skirted around things like multi behemoth battles late in the game, because I tended to find that the CP reward was not worth the time and effort of defeating them. They were, quite frankly, a pain in the neck (as were the vampires... heh). I'd rather grind on a couple of smaller frys to make up for it.

The other time was when going back for something for whatever reason - like hell am I going to fight the same thing 3 times if I can help it. This does make exploration a lot more pleasant than with random battles.

:D

It's minor little amusements like that which make a proper FF. The little details that stick in the mind.

Karifean
04-06-2010, 09:17 AM
I didn't skip any battles at all... until Chapter 11. Seriously, I hate that giant blue sphinx-like enemy that summons a sword that does enormous damage. I beat two of those guys, then I started skipping 'em. And, of course, I never bothered to kill all monsters in the Archylte Steppe (especially the Adaman...-monsters).

I also skipped the Juggernauts (giant robots with flame-throwers, insane HP) when I first reached the Mah'habara underground, but when I backtracked because I noticed I skipped the whole sidequest part, I decided to kill the one that blocks the path to a Cie'th Stone. Ironically, that Cie'th Stone wants you to kill yet another Juggernaut. :D

[completely offtopic] @finaloblivion Isn't the last line of your signature outdated? [/completely offtopic]

Cloudane
04-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Ohh yeah I skipped that first Juggernaut too. Or at least I tried it, and failed miserably, and decided to move on. I never did go back - something for the replay or post-game stuff.

The other annoying one which were unfortunately usually difficult/impossible to avoid, were those things that looked like aquatic chocobos. Dragonite, or something. They peck at you, HARD, about 10 times in a row - really annoying, especially when there are a few of them.

LunarWeaver
04-06-2010, 07:46 PM
I was fighting every battle until I was like 45 hours in and the game became really boring to me. After that, I avoided every enemy I can. I am still powerful enough to keep up. All I have to do is hit the Auto button a lot and win pretty quickly, while occasionally switching to another paradigm to heal a little. I'm 57 hours in and still doing that.

If I am stuck in a battle I underestimated, I can always just hit Start, hit Select, and choose Retry. Then I pay more attention until I can go back to being bored again.

Dreddz
04-06-2010, 08:38 PM
I've skipped every battle since the beginning of chapter 11. Currently stuck at the last boss in chapter 12. I could grind but these battles take so long, especially when your characters are as weak as mine. I reckon I'm gonna have to grind for at least 5 hours to continue. Forget that.

Del Murder
04-10-2010, 07:06 AM
I fight most of the battles. In Chapter 11 now but I'm not about to go pick every fight in this place. I've never had a problem with any boss or particular fight besides the ones they obviously want you to come back and do later.

No.78
04-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Well I never ran away from fights before, so I don't see why I should now.

The only time I avoided enemies was on Gran Pulse, the King Behemoth's were too strong for me when I first arrived, and obviously the Adamantoise too. The Ochu kicked my ass first time, too.

Mo-Nercy
04-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I've just gotten to Chapter 11 and I'm trying to train the characters up to a point where they stand a chance.

I was so absorbed in my efforts to look for relatively easy packs of enemies that I forgot to go to the Crystarium for, like, 4 hours. There was a big facepalm moment when I saw that I had a bazillion CP and I realised that was why it wasn't getting easier.

Masamunemaster
04-16-2010, 07:31 AM
I done beat the story line and have started doing post game stuff....my favorite way to level(which is my main goal atm) is having vanille as the leader and fighting the admantortoise, summoning hechacontier(sp?) and just using death over and over not even sending him out...just letting his time run its course. This way takes about 5mins total if your very unlucky, and yields 40k CP....easiest way Ive found is to start with vanille as SAB, hope as SYN(to haste as soon as possible), and snow as SEN just in case it gets on its feet again. This way isnt for the impatient I must say though, it takes alot of sitting there hitting repeat haha