PDA

View Full Version : Pad vs Stick

Pheesh
03-11-2010, 11:31 AM
So ever since I got Tekken 6 I've been pretty much learning how to play fighting games again (I bought SFIV out of pure boredom when it came out, but the series has never been my cup of tea, and I didn't get into it too much) and it's fun and all, but the difference is that I'm getting into the intricacies of it more than I used to. I was pretty young when I last owned a Tekken game, and I never paid attention to frames, or learning anything more than basic moves and what not.

Anyway, the problem is this. I've started trying to learn how to move faster using sidesteps, backdash cancels etc. (I'm not sure if there's equivalents to the Tekken movement system in other fighting games, I never really played Soul Caliber or anything) and I find that I can't really do it no matter how hard I try. I've looked up a few tutorials and what not and it seems like the fact that I use the pad on the controller could be a hindrance.

Where I am there aren't really arcades, so I grew up playing all my fighting games on controllers, which is pretty much why I avoided getting the special edition Tekken pack (which came with a joystick). But now I'm thinking maybe I should invest, although I do know that there are people who use the pads effectively, but I'm not sure if I'll ever be that good, and maybe it's just better to learn how to use a joystick effectively.

So the topic is basically as the title says. Do you use a pad or a joystick when you play fighting games? Did you learn on arcades? Does it really matter?

Slothy
03-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Do you use a pad or a joystick when you play fighting games?

I use the SFIV Tournament Edition stick now. Easily the best home stick I've ever seen and worth every penny if you ask me.

Did you learn on arcades?

I didn't grow up near any arcades so I learned to play fighting games on consoles with controllers. I won't go back to a pad now though unless I have no choice.

Does it really matter?

I think it matters whether you use a pad or an arcade stick. Arcade sticks are just faster and easier to be more accurate with once you get used to them in my experience. Pads aren't necessarily all bad though. The SFIV pad put out by Madcatz was actually pretty awesome. I do hate almost any current gen controller for fighting games though, especially for 2D games because the PS3 is the only one with a decent D-Pd and even that's pretty meh compared to a decent fight pad.

Depression Moon
03-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I use only controllers too. I have no problem executing moves in Tekken except those moves that have a star in them, because I have no idea what the star means. I recently got a TE Stick, but I sort of regret buying it. If you or anyone else is interested, send me a PM. It's for the PS3.

Drift
03-11-2010, 01:53 PM
i've started using the stick for Street Fighter, tried using the stick for Tekken and I'm getting used to it but in general I need a lot of practise on both games using a stick. No arcades near me where I grew up either :(

Pheesh
03-11-2010, 02:29 PM
I use only controllers too. I have no problem executing moves in Tekken except those moves that have a star in them, because I have no idea what the star means. I recently got a TE Stick, but I sort of regret buying it. If you or anyone else is interested, send me a PM. It's for the PS3.

The star means let the controller go back to a neutral position, which ironically enough is more of an issue with a joystick.

The main problem I have is with backdash cancels, hitting a consistant b~db, is just near impossible for me, but I have managed to get fairly decent at E-Stepping. Does anyone know what a good stick would be? I've heard there's different kinds (square retainer and circle retainer?), does anyone know the difference, and which would be better?

Momiji
03-11-2010, 02:38 PM
It depends on the game. Most of the fighting games I play are on my computer, so I really prefer the keyboard for them since I find button combinations to be a piece of cake.

I recently got my hands on an HRAP EX-SE, though, and I'm learning how to use that. I love using it for shmups, though!

Drift
03-11-2010, 02:54 PM
if i remember correctly square retainers are better for holding characters (eg guile in SF for sonic boom) and circle retainers for quarter-circle characters but after learning your character and practising with either retainer it just comes down to preference. i think? i'm probably wrong

Rase
03-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I use the analog stick for the few fighting games I play. I wish I have an arcade stick, but I can not justify spending that much on a controller for what basically would be two games I don't care enough to get good t to begin with. I've never liked using d-pad's in fighting games though. I learned how to play in arcades, so that's what's most comfortable for me. Wish there were still some solid ones around.

NorthernChaosGod
03-11-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm not very big on fighters anymore, the only ones I play with any semblance of consistency are Smash Bros. and Soul Caliber; I play them with just a regular controller.

Mo-Nercy
03-12-2010, 01:45 AM
As an avid arcade player, I feel I must vouche for the ol' sticky, but these days, due to budget constraints, I'm playing less out in the arcades and more often at home. I can use both just fine.

But I can't use the analog stick on controllers for fighting games. It feels really slow for me to be doing backdashes and quarter circles/half circles. I always use the directional pad when I have a controller. I don't know if I'm unique in that respect, but I also avoid the analog stick for racing games.

I've always had a poor time with qcf/hcf from 2P position in the arcades (and therefore, also qcb/hcb on 1P). It's not that I can't do it, but the movement just comes out a bit clunky.. and how should I say.. deliberate. e.g. Lee's/Law's Dragon Slide. I try to avoid it when I'm facing left. There's about a 10% chance he'll just shudder and do a piddly low kick.)

btw ee: Soul Calibur's movement system is a little different. It's called 8 Way Run and any directional input sends you in the direction. No need to double tap to move back or sidestep like in Tekken. I find that I like it a lot more.

Pheesh
03-12-2010, 02:42 AM
I've always had a poor time with qcf/hcf from 2P position in the arcades (and therefore, also qcb/hcb on 1P). It's not that I can't do it, but the movement just comes out a bit clunky..

Exact same thing happens to me. Hence, my backdash cancelling from the 1P side is really hard for me to do. I also have to use the ssl~qcu motion when E-stepping, starting my qc from the forward button.

I also can't use an analog stick when playing fighting games, I'm just not quick or precise enough with it.

Is there a particular model of joystick to look out for? Or will I be fine to just buy a whatever model?

Wolf Kanno
03-12-2010, 05:14 AM
I will also vouch for the stick cause I grew up as an arcade brat. Even though I mostly play with console controllers nowadays I do miss the stick cause it is way more fluid imo. It doesn't help that I'm like No Mercy and feel that the analog sticks on controllers are terrible inefficient for fighting games. I usually stick to D-pads and that is really hard on you and the controller when you are playing stuff like GG:ACP and SFA3.

I really need to invest in an arcade stick but its part of a long list of things I need lately.

Meat Puppet
03-12-2010, 05:48 AM
Pad, because I’m still uncomfortable sticking things up my vagina.

Shiny
03-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Do you use a pad or a joystick when you play fighting games?
I usually use pad for fighting games.

Did you learn on arcades?
No, but I've played arcade fighting games before. I prefer to be in the comfort of my own home and not an arcade.

Does it really matter?

It might. There's less carpal tunnel involved when you're using a joy stick as opposed to using the pad.

Jessweeee♪
03-12-2010, 07:20 AM
It depends on how heavy my flow is.

Meat Puppet :nonono:

Anyway, it really depends on the game. 90% of the time for fighting games it's pad, though.

Pheesh
03-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Just a follow up question. The people that do use pads, is it because you just couldn't be bothered paying for or learning to use a stick? Or is it because you genuinely find pads easier to use?

I'm only curious because it seems like at the moment I'll never be able to do the stuff I try and do on a controller, but if it is possible then there's no real point spending my money.

Zeromus_X
03-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Grew up on controllers, and never really played fighting games in an arcade before. Only fighting game I play half-seriously is BlazBlue on both consoles, and I think I do pretty well with just the controller. For the 360, I have to use the analog stick because the d-pad on it sucks, but other than dashing the analog stick is really smooth to do inputs on. The PS3's d-pad is great, except I have a little trouble doing half-circle forward motions on it. That said I've kind of wanted to try an arcade stick since they're apparently that much more accurate, but I'm not in a big hurry to shell out a fortune for one.

Depression Moon
03-12-2010, 06:08 PM
A fortune? I can give any of you here a discount just because we're EOFF buddies.

JKTrix
03-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Once I got used to using a stick, I could not go back to using a pad. I've had a few of them, but my favourite one by far is the (out of print) Virtua Stick High Grade that I got modified to work on both PS3 and 360 (and PC of course).

I think what discourages people from playing with arcade sticks if they 'grew up' with other control methods is that it really does take time to get 'good' at it. It can be pretty frustrating when you start jumping when you didn't mean to, or when you can't do moves on the other side of the screen. If I didn't like fighting games so much I might have never bothered to really learn it, but I'm glad I did.

DM it broke my heart when you sent me the PSN message saying you though you wasted money on that stick. I can understand having money issues, but I think you should really keep at it.

Lionx
03-13-2010, 06:00 AM
Arcade stick. I have learned fighting games on a pad until i went to college and actually played in an arcade. Since then i have tremendously gotten better using a stick.

The reason a stick is better because you are using your wrist to move the stick instead of one thumb. Its less muscle intensive and more natural. Other than that, your entire hand and fingers can access all the buttons easily and naturally instead of using two fingers to do combinations (unless you use the FightPads).

Some people stick with pads because it takes alot of time and dedication to re-learn the game from scratch since playing with a stick can be cumbersome if you are not used to it. But i highly recommend it as there are many things i cannot do on a pad, but can on a stick. And theres never a time i felt the other way around.

I highly recommend Japanese Hori sticks(you can get an EX3 for 50 bucks) for almost all games. If you want an American stick though, you can consider MAS systems or build one yourself/commission one. Its not that hard once you get into it. I am currently using Hori stock parts, but once it wears i am going to replace them with Sanwa buttons and sticks because i like the high sensitivity in them.

Joystick Controller - The Joystick Vs The Control Pad (http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pad.html)

Joystick Controller - Joystick and Button Attributes and Brand Parts (http://slagcoin.com/joystick/attributes_brands.html)

To the OP, check out TekkenZaibatsu for Tekken strats or Shoryuken.com 's forum tech help area if you want more in-depth information. Alot of this stuff might seem overwhelming, but its important and not that bad once you get into it. Though you are only as good as your connection to the game.

Pheesh
03-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the links Lionx, I've taken a look on ebay and stuff and found a few good joysticks, but for now it has to go onto the 'awaiting funds' pile. I still haven't got FFXIII, and GoW 3 is coming out soon, I was also meaning to grab a DS so I can play the new Kingdom Hearts game (although I may get a joystick before I do that). But it was interesting to read those articles, I didn't know how much depth there was to buying one.

Yeargdribble
03-15-2010, 05:40 AM
I use pads, but I don't really get into fighting games much. I'd say most aficionados and tourney types use the stick whether they grew up in the arcade era or not. It's considered to be superior and though I have no clue personally, there's probably something to that.... just like using M&KB for RTS is better. I really doubt it's just a fad thing.

Of course, peripheral makers are making a mint off of those things, so maybe they secretly are propagating the lie to the fighting game communities.

Slothy
03-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Of course, peripheral makers are making a mint off of those things, so maybe they secretly are propagating the lie to the fighting game communities.

Trust me, it's no lie. I think you may have been a little sarcastic, but a pad isn't as fast and accurate as a stick. Ever. As soon as I got my stick I was able to go from pulling off Ryu's Shoryuken uppercut randomly in SF2 HD Remix, to doing it 8 times out of 10 with a minimum of practice.

Any game with complex inputs like that one will benefit most from a stick, but even ones that don't have inputs that complex benefit from the increased speed you can execute inputs with a stick. And it's not just the stick, but button presses are a lot faster since you have all of the buttons right there at your fingertips.

Mo-Nercy
03-16-2010, 02:07 AM
Any game with complex inputs like that one will benefit most from a stick, but even ones that don't have inputs that complex benefit from the increased speed you can execute inputs with a stick. And it's not just the stick, but button presses are a lot faster since you have all of the buttons right there at your fingertips.
True. I'd forgotten about this aspect in my previous post. In Tekken, you've got the EWGFs of the Mishima-style fighters that are much easier to perform with the stick, especially if you're looking to pull them off consecutively. And Ivy's Summon Suffering is virtually un-executable without a stick.

The fingertip aspect is important too. With a pad, you're using your right thumb to control everything whereas with a stick, you'd be using all your fingers. Sorry I'm only giving Tekken and Soul Calibur references, but those are the fighters I'm most familiar with; but Asuka's 1+4 is hard to do on a pad and so are Xianghua's A+K moves. I don't like setting shoulder presets either. (These moves are Square+Circle in PS controller terms btw).

Depression Moon
03-16-2010, 02:31 AM
Funny thing about Gamestop. I tried selling my new TE stick to them and the woman was said she would take $15 for it. Seriously! $15 for something that usually costs $130. I had to ask her again to make sure, but yep she said she could only take it for $15.
My goodness no wonder Gamestop hasn't gotten any money from me in years outside of me renewing my GI subscription.

Lionx
03-16-2010, 03:55 AM
Whatever Mo-Nercy said, it applies to any fighting game except maybe Smash.

And DM, sell it online...15 bucks is a smurfing rip off, the stick itself is worth more than that -_-

Pheesh
03-16-2010, 04:11 AM
but Asuka's 1+4 is hard to do on a pad and so are Xianghua's A+K moves. I don't like setting shoulder presets either. (These moves are Square+Circle in PS controller terms btw).

Really? They save my life. I main Asuka and the shoulder presets are pretty much god-sends. The same is true when I use Lili, I figure if button pressing is easier for people with a stick, plus they have the added advantage to their movement, I may as well make it easier for myself to at least execute a button press when I want to.