PDA

View Full Version : [XIII-2] Toriyama and Kitase: Interested in Developing Final Fantasy XIII-2

jammi567
03-14-2010, 11:04 AM
With the success of Final Fantasy XIII still in the air Toriyama, along with Kitase, have also expressed their interests in doing Final Fantasy XIII-2. You can read their claims for yourself here (http://games.schrijversblok.nl/?p=261).

Shlup
03-14-2010, 11:08 AM
I would be cool with that. I never touched FFX2 but I would play FFXIII2.

G13
03-14-2010, 11:33 AM
It's possible. I read an article saying they could make a whole other game with the content they had to cut. It'd make up for XIV being XI-2.

Dreddz
03-14-2010, 05:24 PM
I hope they move onto FFXV and forget FFXIII altogether. Some Final Fantasy titles are worthy of a sequel, FFXIII is not one of them.

Sephiroth
03-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Final Fantasy XIII is worth a sequel and with the ending of Final Fantasy XIII there are a lot more options they can do. I really hope they make a sequel and change some things so we have more locations, more towns, more sidequests, et cetera.

Depression Moon
03-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Isn't Versus XIII basically XIII-2?

Sephiroth
03-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Isn't Versus XIII basically XIII-2?

No, Final Fantasy XIII Versus hasn't anything to do with the story and the characters of Final Fantasy XIII(-1).

Suikojowy
03-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Nah the plot of Versus isn't related to FF13, neither is agito. They're just part of a series of game revolving around crystals, I don't really get why they need to have XIII in their name though.

I'm against XIII-2 or any sorts of prequel/sequel but it'll happen.

sr5punk
03-15-2010, 12:50 AM
im not totally against a sequel/prequel, as long as it stays just as good if not better and doesnt become like X-2....ugh! ULTIMATE FAIL!!!!:mad:

Future Esthar
04-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Hmmm...
But donīt you think Cid looks a lot like Noctis physically?

seiferalmasy2
04-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Here we go again!

Let's not stop at XIII versus, XIII-2, XIII-3

CASHhhhhhhhhhhh In!

"Yo, remember when we used to make one or two great titles a year..."

"Yeah I remember that but why the hell bother?"

"yeah I get ya, we can create one great title a year or make as many crap ones as we can and exponentially increase our revenue"

"Will the fanbase fall for it?"

"Sure, there is a sucker born every minute"

VeloZer0
04-18-2010, 03:35 PM
I think the real question is can we expect a "Final Fantasy Versus Thirteen Two". I would personally like to see this naming convention extrapolated to a few more iterations.
"Final Fantasy Thirteen Agito Two Dying Chaos"
(I used a game name generator for that, it doesn't mean anything)

seiferalmasy2
04-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Final Fantasy XIII-3 Super Ultimate War God Supreme Edition X2 Limited :p

Raistlin
04-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Theoretically I would be ok with it. However, FF's history of direct sequels makes me very skeptical (see: the FF7 series and FFX-2). We'd probably be better off if they just worked on the next game.

Future Esthar
04-18-2010, 05:39 PM
What about episodes like in Half-Life 2?

Loony BoB
04-18-2010, 06:05 PM
I'd be interested enough to buy it. The story left off at a point where a lot could happen, and it would be great to have a bigger journey around the rest of the world of Pulse.

ANGRYWOLF
04-19-2010, 12:31 AM
the idea is fraught with peril.

They need to just go on and after Versus go on to FFV and be able to put the stuff in that game they left out of this one, namely npcs and towns and villages.

:roll2

Mo-Nercy
04-19-2010, 03:05 AM
Sad thing is, I'd probably still buy it.

But I hope for my sake, they go onto FFXV.

eestlinc
04-19-2010, 03:56 AM
I'd rather see DLC for the main game adding some sidequests and super bosses.

ANGRYWOLF
04-19-2010, 04:48 AM
downloadable content.

Looney Bob mentioned that in another thread.
I googled it and found an interview with Toriyama where he said there wouldn't be any...that the idea there was going to be some was a misunderstanding.:mad:

So FFXIII is as it is unless they do a FFXIII-2.:roll2

ShinGundam
04-19-2010, 05:17 AM
So FFXIII is as it is unless they do a FFXIII-2.:roll2
Or FF13 international :eep: !

No.78
04-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Where am I going to find the money for this? :(

finaloblivion
04-19-2010, 11:29 PM
i personally would be stoked for it. after the way the game ends, it leaves a lot of possibilities for a sequel taking place on pulse, which would also open up the possibility for more locations, explorable towns/sidequests, that sort of thing that i wasn't bothered with the game lacking but itd b cool either way. after they finish versus, which will supposedly have a traversable world map (which will lead to more locations/exploration), the team will be able to bring their knowledge they gained from that project to XIII-2 and be able to utilize crystal tools more efficiently.

to me, they've already established the world and the gameplay systems, if they expanded on it and moved forward, and id be very interested to see where the characters are a few years afterward. then again, i really enjoyed this game so whatev. i for one thought the ending was good.

VeloZer0
04-20-2010, 04:17 AM
It just hit me. The citizens of pulse have lost their government and are now forced to adapt and explore a new and dangerous foreign environment. If that doesn't spell rich MMO material I don't know what does.

arcanedude34
04-20-2010, 06:11 AM
Here we go again!

Let's not stop at XIII versus, XIII-2, XIII-3

CASHhhhhhhhhhhh In!

"Yo, remember when we used to make one or two great titles a year..."

"Yeah I remember that but why the hell bother?"

"yeah I get ya, we can create one great title a year or make as many crap ones as we can and exponentially increase our revenue"

"Will the fanbase fall for it?"

"Sure, there is a sucker born every minute"
Hate to agree with seifer on something here, but... yeah. Pretty much this. D:

Sad thing is, I'd probably still buy it.

But I hope for my sake, they go onto FFXV.

*SIGH* And this

ShinGundam
04-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Hate to agree with seifer on something here, but... yeah. Pretty much this. D:
Why ? Versus might be spin-off but it has new gameplay, world , characters and story. It is not a good way to cash in unless they change the title to be FF15 :p.

arcanedude34
04-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Okay, my fault for not specifying. I am looking forward to Versus. I just meant that I do agree with SE tending to cash in on previous titles (compilation, all the remakes of the first six games, X-2, 358/2 Days, the list goes on). But yeah, I'm looking forward to Versus as it will stand on its own (at least I hope) and not be a lame cash-in.

Mo-Nercy
04-20-2010, 10:26 AM
If Versus is so different, why couldn't it have been called FFXIV or XV? Don't get me wrong... I'm liking the trailers and pictures I've seen of it so far, but it'd be nice to see SE come out of the comfort zone they've made for themselves lately of persistantly sequel-ing games and thinking they'll attract more fans that way. If they hadn't gone down the X-2 and Compilation of VII road, they'd be up to XVI or XVII and we'd have a lot more to talk about 'round here and FF would be rollin' on just like the old days. A good game that's not a sequel is more likely to attract newbies than one that is.

Madame Adequate
04-20-2010, 01:09 PM
I'd love another game like X-2. :shobon:

Del Murder
04-20-2010, 05:52 PM
X-2 was actually a pretty great game in terms of gameplay. I haven't beat XIII yet but I'm sure there's room for a sequel there. Maybe without the pressure of trying to be different with their main entries to the series, the sequel can have a more traditional aspect to it.

Elpizo
04-20-2010, 11:39 PM
I'd like a sequel so a certain pair of characters gets their part of a happy ending, too. And I liked XIII enough to revisit the world.

Mo-Nercy
04-21-2010, 12:16 AM
X-2 was actually a pretty great game in terms of gameplay.
I'm not denying that. I have the game and enjoyed playing it, but I don't see how SE would have thought that a sequel would have done a better job of introducing new gamers to the series than a completely new game.

Having said that, I can't really comment on on the prospect of FFXIII-2 yet, because I haven't finished it. I don't know whether there's anything in the ending of the game that would suggest that a sequel would make sense.

ShinGundam
04-21-2010, 02:43 AM
If Versus is so different, why couldn't it have been called FFXIV or XV?
Well, Kitase was against making it a mainline FF and Nomura didn't
care about it so let it be Spin-off.

Slothy
04-21-2010, 11:43 AM
If those two want to make a sequel I say let them. It'd probably mean freeing up a main series entry for the people who still know how to make a decent game. Assuming there are many of those left at Square.

kotora
04-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Lightning, Serah and Hope wear skimpy clothing and set off on a quest to rescue Fang and Vanille, which only happens if you complete the game for 100%. Throw in some :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty J-pop and cash in.

ShinGundam
04-21-2010, 12:38 PM
If those two want to make a sequel I say let them. It'd probably mean freeing up a main series entry for the people who still know how to make a decent game. Assuming there are many of those left at Square.
It doesn't who is in charge for the next main entry when they still have problems in the production process .

Lightning, Serah and Hope wear skimpy clothing and set off on a quest to rescue Fang and Vanille, which only happens if you complete the game for 100%. Throw in some ty J-pop and cash in.
Did SE kicked your dog or something ?

Future Esthar
04-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Not before applying anti-g technology to Cocoon.

Slothy
04-21-2010, 01:12 PM
It doesn't who is in charge for the next main entry when they still have problems in the production process .

I'm not really sure what you mean by that unless you're talking about how long it's taking them to develop these titles now. Which really has nothing to do with how good a game is. That's all down to the people making the design decisions and the talent of the dev team under them.

ShinGundam
04-22-2010, 01:01 PM

I'm not really sure what you mean by that unless you're talking about how long it's taking them to develop these titles now. Which really has nothing to do with how good a game is. That's all down to the people making the design decisions and the talent of the dev team under them.
I have Ultimania book, both directors confirm that there is a lot of
compromising involved game design decisions because of production
process for example the Titan battle, Manual jump, cutting maps and
areas and they spend most of time on testing and prototyping the
battle system. In reality FF production is deeply wounded and
this project is mess like FF10 and FF12.

Slothy
04-22-2010, 05:19 PM
I have Ultimania book, both directors confirm that there is a lot of
compromising involved game design decisions because of production
process for example the Titan battle, Manual jump, cutting maps and
areas and they spend most of time on testing and prototyping the
battle system. In reality FF production is deeply wounded and
this project is mess like FF10 and FF12.

Production of a game being a haphazard mess leading to compromise in the game design isn't just about the process used to produce the game though, but also the people involved in making it, namely those calling the shots. There will always be compromise due to production constraints in gaming, but producers, directors, and game designers with more talent and vision than the guys who made XIII would do better working within inherent production constraints (namely time and technical limitations).

Put people in charge who have an actual vision for the game and can reign in the production process, keep it on track, and figure out what works, what doesn't and make the right cuts when absolutely necessary and you'd probably find that they could pump out a Final Fantasy in much less time and one that's of much higher quality. Problems in development, namely the sort that lead to five year development cycles, are completely the result of the people involved and the kind of work environment they create. There is absolutely no reason Square can't do what plenty of western developers such as Naughty Dog can do and make a great game in as little as two years. Or at the very least, they might not forget to make a game in between making cut scenes if some talented people start running the show.

Also, FFXII wasn't a mess. It was awesome. :p

black orb
04-23-2010, 04:20 PM
>>> They should be worried about the FF7 remake instead of a FF13-2..:luca:

ANGRYWOLF
04-23-2010, 04:29 PM
due to Matsuno's breakdown/abrupt departure from Square, incompleteness of the game such as lack of full magical abilities available, and poor character, plot and Summon's concepts and implimentation.

Don't want to get too far off topic though..rotfl...:D

Otherwise vivi was right as far as what measures the design team should take.

That's why I say Square needs to bring in some western game designers to help overcome their production issues.

I would be reluctant to buy FFXIII-2 unless substantial changes were made over what FFXIII currently has..

:roll2

Cloudane
04-26-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm not really into the milking of each world as they've done with VII and are doing with XIII. However I must admit, if there's one game that desperately needs a sequel to make any sort of sense of the way it ended, it's XIII. I'd look forward to it.

seiferalmasy2
04-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Given the incompetance and money making ethics they showed in XIII what on earth makes you think they would solve it with a sequel? If anything sequels they do make have been god awful and this one would be a monumental disaster....that is even if most people who hated XIII were really that daft to go and play the sequel....

Cloudane
04-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Well I didn't hate it, I just thought the ending could do with some work. (OK, understatement)

They've openly admitted that the main issue was having to spend all the time creating an engine from scratch and how they had no time left for all the various things we said were missing (reading between the lines, that would include half the story) and how Versus will be better because it's already in place. It doesn't seem too much of a stretch that they'd also stick with the same engine for XIII-2, plus a lot of the other work such as character designs is already done so they'd be able to concentrate on things like the story.

Of course if they do develop it and it turns out to be a stinker that'll probably be my exit from playing the FF series. It's nice to remain slightly optimistic though :)

seiferalmasy2
04-27-2010, 08:43 PM
It's nice to remain slightly optimistic though
--------

True.

Rodney
04-28-2010, 02:29 AM
I . . . think I could get behind it. But it'd have to be a VERY good story.

Oh, and Versus and Agito both take place in the same Pulse/Cocoon environment, from what I heard. There are even l'Cie in Agito.

ANGRYWOLF
04-28-2010, 02:47 AM
it's a part of the galaxy where the Maker first came and created the falcies.

The worlds where Agito, FFXIII and FF Versus take place in the same region of space..probably only a few parsecs apart.:p

McLovin'
04-28-2010, 03:52 AM
Psh, work on Chrono 3 Square Enix!

ChickenHeart
04-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Muh, well i won't buy it :(

finaloblivion
04-30-2010, 03:34 AM
I'll buy it! Then again I like this game so...

And Versus and Agito don't take place on Pulse/Cocoon, but they're most certainly in the same universe, or solar system even maybe lol (FFs never are that scientific tho...) but the societies on the different worlds all believe in the same mythology, roughly. they're held together by it. l'Cie being in Agito is confirmed, but fal'Cie are not. So it's possible that the definition of a l'Cie in the world of Agito is entirely different than on Pulse or Cocoon. But we won't know until we play the game :p

ShinGundam
04-30-2010, 11:07 AM
I'll buy it! Then again I like this game so...

And Versus and Agito don't take place on Pulse/Cocoon, but they're most certainly in the same universe, or solar system even maybe lol (FFs never are that scientific tho...) but the societies on the different worlds all believe in the same mythology, roughly. they're held together by it. l'Cie being in Agito is confirmed, but fal'Cie are not. So it's possible that the definition of a l'Cie in the world of Agito is entirely different than on Pulse or Cocoon. But we won't know until we play the game :p
One mythology ... multiple stories ... each title in the FNC project features different characters, different worlds, and different stories, the reason is
to let directors have a full control as it seems both Kitase and Nomura
were against each other for what FF13 should be and Kitase was against some ideas of FFv13, In order to shut Nomura up they let him to control his title as sub-FF13 :p

finaloblivion
05-03-2010, 03:29 AM
the different directors were also given the same ideas of the mythology, and did different things with it in different worlds and situations and characters, like you said. obviously nomura had completely different ideas of how to interpret said mythos than kitase and toriyama, and also the director of agito (can't remember his name...). however, they all contain similar elements of the mythology, and are thus loosely connected by it. but as far as anything else, they're completely different and could stand alone in that respect. im very, VERY excited to see how versus and agito turn out tho! :p :p

Future Esthar
05-06-2010, 09:45 PM
After FFX-2 I am afraid of sequels.

Mo-Nercy
05-07-2010, 01:02 AM
After FFX-2 I am afraid of sequels.
FFX main lead = sissy man
FFX-2 main lead = sissy girl/s

Therefore,
FFXIII main lead = manly girl
FFXIII-2 main lead = manly guy

If they stick to the formula, it might be a step in the right direction.

Future Esthar
05-09-2010, 12:05 AM
FFXIII main lead=bitch woman.
FFXIII-2 main lead=bitch man (running away).

Loony BoB
05-09-2010, 12:56 AM
Fang wasn't the lead.

kotora
05-09-2010, 01:14 AM
She was after she joined the party if we're looking at cutscene screentime.

Persephone Stephanie
05-09-2010, 06:03 AM
FFXIII main lead=bitch woman.
FFXIII-2 main lead=bitch man (running away).

Pfff, Lightning wasn't a bitch. Neither was Fang. They just don't pander to anyone.

finaloblivion
05-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Pfff, Lightning wasn't a bitch. Neither was Fang. They just don't pander to anyone.

Truth.

Future Esthar
05-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Thatīs not what I mean.