PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite FFXIII Char!

Darkwolf090
03-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Ok let me start off with saying personally I like all the Chars, so lets just show our favorite ones some love eh?

So lets start it off, how bout we say who our favorite one char is and why. This will be harder for others then some, but meh we all know the Frocobo is awesome right? Anyway Ill start it off.

My favorite char in this game is Snow, silly name and silly man!
I just really love his personality... that and he is a hobo surfer man bum who must be the hero...
Sure he isnt the BEST char in the game stats wise but I'd say he is in the top 3 however i put him in as my leader and he has never left. That and come on... he is a surf bum who summons twin sisters to fight with him? Gotta love him right? Also I have one more thing to add about him....

He is a Monkadin.... think about... Monkadin... half monk half paladin... wooo!

Anyway let the disscussing of who loves who start... seeing as a Sazh thread already is going on, I do plan to see a few of him being there.
[!]<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden">[/!][!]Session data[/!][!]<input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">[/!]

Elpizo
03-14-2010, 12:42 PM
My fav is Hope. He has a nice design, is a realistic character, good medic in battle and he's quite original when it comes to his choice of weapon. He's by far not as whiney as some people claim he is (I'm up to chapter 9 and so far I only remember him whining in chapter 2 and 3, but after that, he only talked about wanting to become stronger), and his story just plays out very well and enjoyable. And he looks cute and gets smiled at by Lightning. He can make Lightning smile!

Madame Adequate
03-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Hope, Vanille, and Sazh.

Hope is a likable and believable character who has some of the best character development evar. And he's adorable and I want to hug him.

Vanille is possibly schizotypal or bipolar or something, and is so so SO cute. I love her accent.

Sazh is just yeah, absolutely epic. He's doofy and his complaints aren't heartfelt but then boom he has serious heartbreaking business going on. :cry:

Rye
03-14-2010, 12:53 PM
It's a tough toss-up between Hope and Sazh. For Sazh, it's obvious why. For Hope, I think it's because he's the most realistic character I've seen in a video game, yet, but still really endearing.

Raven Nox
03-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Hope, Vanille, and Sazh in that order.

Sooo... you can take MILF's post as my answer as well, really. xD Hope is just so adorable and makes you want to hug him, and his character development is believable and realistic. He was the most interesting to watch deal with his problems for me. He's also the person I play as in battle, and he's insanely useful with the best summon in my opinion. <3 Vanille is really cute and quirky as well, but then shows that she has her own problems and she's not just simply insane and happy. And Sazh... He's Sazh, so yeah. xD

demondude
03-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Sazh, Hope and Lightning. All awesome for different reasons.

Loony BoB
03-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Sazh and Vanille. I like all of them, though. If I had to pick one I didn't care for, it's probably Fang. But Vanille and Sazh work well individually and as a duo. I love 'em.

Sephiroth
03-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Lightning and Cid. Although Cid is not the character I want him to be. But Lightning is definitely my favourite protagonist with Terra. I love her character. And her japanese voice is even more awesome than the american one. She sounds great.

Freya
03-14-2010, 07:52 PM
I like Vanille because I swear she's crazy :D

Del Murder
03-14-2010, 08:38 PM
So far Lightning is my favorite. She is a bad mutha. I like all the characters though.

Psychotic
03-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Sazh & Snow are far and away the best characters in this thing.

Jings
03-14-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm gonna have to go with Lightning, she launched a Behemoth into the air and used it for target practice. I know other characters can do this, but she was the first.

shadowblade
03-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Fang. Shes got a lance, is very focused on her own goals not giving a damn about anything else, and her killer accent.

Dragonheart
03-14-2010, 09:55 PM
i personally like Lightning, Snow, and Fang. But they are all great.

Raistlin
03-14-2010, 10:33 PM
My favorite character is definitely Lightning, though Sazh is good for entertainment.

Chloe.
03-14-2010, 10:49 PM
It's a tough choice, I pretty much like all of the characters. But I would have to say Snow, Sazh and Vanille, all great for different reasons. (:

Coronet
03-15-2010, 02:40 AM
Hope, Sahz, and Lightning are my three favorites. I really don't like Vanille as much and I think Fang is so-so. Hope's my favorite since he's realistic and NOT whiny though people think he is.

eestlinc
03-15-2010, 02:54 AM
I'm on chapter 4 and so far Hope is horrible in battle. And he hasn't added much personality-wise either.

Raistlin
03-15-2010, 03:03 AM
Hope is a good magic-user, so his Ravager attacks should be pretty decent. I wasn't won over on him for my party until much later, though.

Character-wise, yeah, I agree he's not the greatest. He's very dramatic, which doesn't stop even after he's done pouting.

eestlinc
03-15-2010, 03:50 AM
Hope's best use I can find so far is as synergist for defense.

Laddy
03-15-2010, 04:09 AM
Sazh, with Vanille behind.

Shlup
03-15-2010, 07:26 AM
I'm surprised by the variety of answers in this thread.

I like all the characters, so for favorite I'm gonna have to go with frocobo.

eestlinc
03-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Hope is getting better, but I still don't like him that much.

Lightning is awesome, I like her the most.

Rodney
03-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Wow. I'm shocked by those who put down Snow. I like him, but he seems the most generic of the six main characters. The usual gung-ho, overenthusiastic male hero. (See: Locke, Sabin, Zidane, Tidus, Vaan.) The other five at least seem to take the usual archetypes they fall into and do new things with them.

Lightning: Not at all like the usual lead female character who needs a man to come save her. She doesn't need one at all. She relies on herself. And unlike most other protagonists, she treats the other party members (at least eventually) as equals, not as her minions (see: Cloud, Squall, Zidane).

Vanille: Yeah, the usual "perky young girl," my favorite archetype. But unlike most, they actually give her a sad past, turn her more serious midway through the game, and have her play a more serious role in events of the story than most other past characters of her archetype. Can you really say that Porom, Krile, Relm, Yuffie, Selphie, Eiko, Rikku, or Penelo played any huge parts in their games?

Sazh: Comic relief for sure, but probably the first comic relief character who had his own actual story, too. He also began the serious stuff around the same time as Vanille, and you saw him evolve into a character who meant business. Probably the best-defined black character in the series (though Barret's a close second).

Hope: The newest incarnation of the "energetic young boy" archetype, but this time, with a twist. Yeah, he's energetic, but as a refreshing change, in a bad (or at least not-so-good) way. He's really whiny, no doubt, but even as his confidence grows, he's still a very negative person with an equally-negative outlook, something you couldn't call his predecessors, Palom, Gau, Zell, and Vivi. I mean, even in his family pictures, he's negative!

Fang: The "strong, serious female" character is usually dour and extremely strict, as well as "strictly business." But Fang's a bit more laid-back and, dare I say, fun. She jokes around a bit more and manages to bring levity through what seriousness she does have, something Rydia, Faris, Celes, Tifa, Quistis, Freya, Lulu, and Fran all couldn't do. Well . . . perhaps Faris and Tifa were capable of it, as was Lulu (albeit only at one point for her), but Fang does it much better.

With Snow . . . he doesn't break any molds at all like the other five do. Like I said, pretty generic.

But getting on with my favorite character, my avatar says it all. And one word why: ALEXANDER.

(Though there are other reasons, too.)

Ontibile
03-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Lightning is my sister... no really... If I were trapped in a crystal my sister would mutate into a real live Lightning. She is my hero. Therefor... obviously, Lightning is my favorite, but Vanille is growing on me quickly.
I also like Snow because he makes me laugh. :love:

So... Lightning, Snow, Vanille, in that order in the top three.

Siegurd
03-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Lightning by far. She just has the most devastating abilities that look the coolest. I can pull off a lot of crazy stunts while playing her. Her personality is pretty cool to boot too, and the fact that she always pulls off the most awe-inspiring cut scenes is a definite plus.

Fang would be my second, since well, she has made for a powerful combination as a commando with Lightning. This followed by Vanille as my favorite healer.

I never used Sazh or Snow past the choice marker. I just don't like the way Sazh moves on the battlefield, though I'm pretty sure he's the best straight synergist available. Though now in post game I'll probably mess around with them some sooner or later.

My battle setup configuration info:

The setup I ran through the whole game past the 25 hour mark was Light/Fang/Vanille. Auto-hasted Light with random chain potential and super strength beefed up Fang meant some mean damage out put. I usually went into battle with Commando/syn/syn to debuff, then a quick switch to Diversity (staple) rav/com/med to get a quick heal off if needed then relentless onslaught all the way. I don't even think I used sentinal until a few bosses right at the very end who just decide that you're going to be dead if you don't have a damage sponge. By the time I was forced into replacing Vanille with Hope to stack some buffs (Last boss forced my hand), that stagger meter was really quick to get up and almost an instant 999.99%, meaning aggression (com/com/rav) caused some massive damage output.

Though from what I hear from other people playing the game, my setup being dependent on debuffing/stagger building is an oddity among preferences.

Lightening
03-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Lightning and Sazh. I never know what to expect with Sazh, suddenly he says something funny or makes something serious into something amusing. It's very refreshing at times.

Lightning is awesome too, in almost every way.

atm in chapter 9 I think Vanille is the most interesting. I know a lot about the others already, now I want to know more about her!

Spawn of Sephiroth
03-15-2010, 05:08 PM
So far Lightning is my favorite. She is a bad mutha. I like all the characters though.

Lightening is mine. (in chapter 4 as of now). I really don't like Sazh. He seems like a cheap and generic Barret to me

Lightening
03-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Besides skin tone and guns I don't see any similarities between Sazh and Barrett, one is mostly light hearted and the other is always serious-business-angry. quite opposite of each other really.

Rianoa
03-18-2010, 12:08 AM
The frocobo XD

Raistlin
03-18-2010, 12:22 AM
The frocobo doesn't count; if people could choose him as their favorite character, none of the others would ever be chosen.

Loony BoB
03-18-2010, 11:01 AM
This is true.

Aruu
03-18-2010, 11:20 AM
It's hard to choose! There's not one member of the main cast I don't really like; I thought I would have trouble with Fang, but once I met her I adored her.

I think Lightning edges out in front, just because it's refreshing to see a FF female lead, and one that's pretty bad ass at that. She's tough, but she's got a sensitive side to her that makes her more human. It helps that I think she's absolutely beautiful, and not in the typical girly way. The way she moves in battle just seals the deal for me, it's so fluid and yet so awesome.

I'm also fond of the others. The only character who I really dislike is Serah.

Darkwolf090
03-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Well just like the Frocobo Sarah doesnt really count, as char i did mean playable ones i should of pointed that out but oh well.

Im seeing alot more Hope's then I thought I would, me and Wolf Kanno were talking the other day about it, alot more Hope's and not as much Snow's as we had thought lol oh well.

Since I told ya Snow I guess for fun Ill say my 2nd fav.
Fang, the reasons being that; 1. She is hot. 2. She is the dragoon of the game and has my favorite summon. 3. She is modeled after her voice actress. Lets not forget her personality however! I like it, I'm really sick of whiny chars so I was happy to see alot of tough people in this game not any who really whine too much.
[!]<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden">[/!][!]Session data[/!][!]<input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">[/!]

Yar
03-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Fang is my fave. I also like Vanille and Lightning a lot, but not as much as Fang. The other 3 can diaf for all I care, although I dislike Hope the least. :X

Sword
03-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Hope. Definately Hope. His development is really good, and he seems like a natural leader.

Edge7
03-21-2010, 05:50 AM
I'm only on chapter 3 or 4, so from what I can tell, Sazh is my favorite character. Not only does his dialouge make me chuckle, but he seems balanced as a character. Lightning's too cold, Snow's too obsesive (as well as having a one track mind, but I knda like him anyway), Vanille's a little too perky, but I still like her, I haven't really seen Fang too much, Hope is too... Hope ("You wanna help a L'Cie!" "Snow Deserves it!"). Seriously, Snow has enough to deal with with his fiancee in a crystalized coma and his would-be sister inlaw wanting him to die. The last thing he needs is someone hating him because Hope mother died tfighting for Hope's freedom.

Oh well, there's time.

demondude
03-21-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm on chapter 11 now, and I changed my mind. D: It's Lightning and Fang all the way for me, but I love them all.

Wolf Kanno
03-21-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm up to the start of Chapter 6 right now and can say that Sahz is easily my favorite character at the moment. He's not only wickedly funny but the most down to earth character. Everyone else feels like a 2-Dimensional JRPG cookie cutter type character.

Snow started off a bit annoying but thanks to the flashbacks and how much :bou::bou::bou::bou: he gets from Lightning and Hope, he's becoming the second most sympathetic character. His story with Serah has been somewhat touching and gives more weight to his personality and quirks than the rest of the class.

Haven't really got to know Fang yet but she looks amusing at least.

Lightning is so indifferent and quiet that she comes off as being devoid of any personality. I can't sympathize with her and though she's more calm and calculating than Snow, I feel her decisions and actions haven't really been any less stupid than Snow's. I'm not really feeling her. Watching her try to be a mentor with Hope came off more creepy and eerie than endearing. Her only emotion seems to be anger, but she comes across as a watered down version of Lady Ashe from XII with some Wire-Fu moves.

Vanille is getting on my nerves, she's trying too hard to be ditzy and cute and it comes across more like a sad cry for help than "fun". I'm also getting irked with the whole "I have a world shattering secret" vibe she keeps getting in the story cause its obvious she's from Pulse. She really hasn't tried to fit in and its agonizing watching the rest of your party act oblivious to her just so the plot could build up a plot twist we see a mile away. She's been the most disappointing character so far cause I was hoping she would break the mold of some JRPG cliches (perky hyperactive girl with a sad past) but instead she's trying to be the full embodiment of it. She's also being blatantly used as fan service that its embarrassing.

I want to punch Hope in the face, he's annoying and if I were Lightning I would have taken him out and just told the others PSICOM got him. His character growth is less growth and more of going from excruciatingly whiny to annoying whiny. Its an improvement but its not enough to make him likable.

Granted, I've only started Chapter 6 so my thoughts may change on any of these characters as time goes on but its going to be really difficult for a few of them due to their terrible first impressions but at least Snow is proving to be an exception to that rule.

Elpizo
03-23-2010, 01:32 AM
When did Hope whine again? I only seem to remember him doing so when he damn well had every right to do it.

No, don't answer, I don't wanna read it. Bashing Hope is in simply because he exists, he's been hated as soon as he was revealed. I'll leave it at that and am not going to go into any more discussions concerning him. It's pointless. Just as pointless as discussing with the haters how this game is a RPG and not a movie.

Please ignore.

Wolf Kanno
03-23-2010, 02:26 AM
If you want people to ignore your rant then don't make them. :p

While I feel its completely fair to say that Hope got the short end of the stick it doesn't mean I enjoy listening to him complain about becoming a l'Cie and how Snow and his dad ruined his life for the first couple of hours of the game. Yes its realistic but it doesn't make it any less annoying as if I were listening to some real life jack-ass complaining about all their horrible problems. He's gotten better now that he's finally gotten into the whole "revenge" deal but having to listen to him try to figure out what he wanted to do and getting all bashful around Snow in the beginning just felt so unrealistic and was exasperating to say the least. I f I were in Hope's shoes, Team NORA would have had to drag me off Snow the first time I saw him as I tried to claw his eyes out. Rage is not something I feel one dwells on and act wishy washy about until it grows, it just comes out.

I'm not a bleeding heart compassionate fellow, so my sympathy levels disappeared when I realized the only thing he was ever going to talk about until he confronts Snow is how miserable his life is and its all Snow's fault. This does not really make him an interesting or empathetic character for the first few hours of the game which are being used to make the player like him. Its also annoying how I feel their is a major conflict between how Hope is presented in the game and how he is represented in the Datalog. He's bashful and whiny in the game but the datalog has him "stirring with rage within" which I frankly don't see.

The other issue here is that its very difficult to not compare the guy to Ken Amada from Persona 3. Their storylines are almost exactly the same with obvious differences being their respected worlds. Ken was able to actually be a very likable character. He mentioned his problem but only got emotional about it when he finally had the major confrontation with his mother's killer and that whole scene did not play out like anyone would have thought. Ken was far more methodical and really to me; showed how unsettling mental trauma could be on a child due to his personality and the way he handled his revenge.

Hope to me, brings out two emotions from people. Anger and Pity. You either find his constant complaining and "woe is me cause that bastard took everything from me" annoying and learn to hate him quickly or you go the opposite and pity the poor kid and kick into some parental instinct of wanting to love and protect the kid.

I'm actually trying to like him and despite my rants against him he is not actually my least favorite character. I just want to punch him in the face for having to put up with him. Maybe he'll grow on me when I get to his hometown but I have a sad feeling he won't grow on me until after he finally gets over his baggage with Snow and accepts his mother died trying to protect him rather than dying senselessly thanks to Snow's manipulation. Time will tell.

Edge7
03-23-2010, 03:00 AM
I'm actually trying to like him and despite my rants against him he is not actually my least favorite character. I just want to punch him in the face for having to put up with him. Maybe he'll grow on me when I get to his hometown but I have a sad feeling he won't grow on me until after he finally gets over his baggage with Snow and accepts his mother died trying to protect him rather than dying senselessly thanks to Snow's manipulation. Time will tell.

Sums it up beautifully. When his mom first died, and he just stood there shocked, I legitimately felt bad for him, even though I didn't like him in the trailers. Then when Vanille takes him to talk to Snow, I wondered if he had anything to say about it. If he was actually mad at Snow he would've yelled at him then and there, and they could have both moved on. But it looks like Square-Enix tries to give Hope more rage the more he sees Snow act out of love for Serah, a L'Cie. I can understand that he feels cheated that Snow fought harder for Serah than for his mother, but for it to evolve into full-blast rage to me is just unrealistic, and I'm usually the type of person who's patient with character flaws (I'm one of the few people who like Raiden as he was in MGS2). So when Hope has an entire cutscene with Lightning just about why Snow sucks so much, I have the right to say that Hope needs a lesson from Great Teacher Onizuka. http://blueplains.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/gto4.jpg "You think if life treats you bad you can just blame other people?!" (ad libbed)

Wolf Kanno
03-23-2010, 10:57 AM
I smurfing love Onizuka :cool:

Aruu
03-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Hope's possibly the first 'child' character in a Final Fantasy game to act, y'know, like an actual child. Yeah he whines, he gets tired, and he has a lot of emotional rage over something that couldn't be helped. But he's also a kid whose just been dragged into something terrifying, he lost his mum and actually watched her die, and to top it off, he's been marked an l'cie. And that was done out of the sake of that muppet Serah, something that didn't involve him. He's right, it wasn't fair.

It's nice to see a child character actually act like one. Instead of being all gung ho and charging into battle with little to no fear, and getting a trifle sniffly over anything bad that happens in their life. Hope's a near perfect characterisation of a young teenager in a crap situation.

Serapy
03-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Lightning.

Elpizo
03-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Hope's possibly the first 'child' character in a Final Fantasy game to act, y'know, like an actual child. Yeah he whines, he gets tired, and he has a lot of emotional rage over something that couldn't be helped. But he's also a kid whose just been dragged into something terrifying, he lost his mum and actually watched her die, and to top it off, he's been marked an l'cie. And that was done out of the sake of that muppet Serah, something that didn't involve him. He's right, it wasn't fair.

It's nice to see a child character actually act like one. Instead of being all gung ho and charging into battle with little to no fear, and getting a trifle sniffly over anything bad that happens in their life. Hope's a near perfect characterisation of a young teenager in a crap situation.

This.

Through the entire series people have complained how unrealistic the teenagers of FF were, now SE changes it into something entirely believable and well what do you know, it's still not okay!

And Wolf, it's easy to ignore a rant. You see, all you do is read it, then say to yourself: "I won't reply" and don't reply. Simple, right?

Yes, you don't have to like him for his complaining, but wanting to punch him in the face for it? When a bomb of WW 1 is discovered in your town, Wolf, and you're transported to certain death along with all the rest simply because that bomb was there, your mom is killed and you're rolled up in a terrorist network in the end and you complain, I'll come over to punch you in the face for complaining, too, deal?

Wolf Kanno
03-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Go for it Elpizo but chances are I wouldn't really whine since I'm a bit of a fatalist and a nihilist. ;) Also, if you make a post and don't want people to respond to it by stating you don't want people to respond to it then all your are doing is making people want to respond to it. Making snide remarks back afterwards helps you look like you are trying to draw attention to your self. So either debate or don't but definetly drop the attitude :p

As I said, its hard to cut Hope slack when I've seen this scenario done before and it was done so much better. I'm more of a guy like Snow who realizes dwelling on crap I can't change and trying to blame people for my problems (though its nearly impossible not to do this) is a moot gesture at best. You just have to sometimes accept that life is a bitch and go with the flow and just work towards making your own happy reality. Hope gave up too easily and it wasn't til Lightning instilled her idea of revenge (which I don't feel should have had to be instilled considering the circumstances) that he finally got out of his mopey mood and finally started being less annoying. Its not like he's the only who is suffering in this situation, Hope still has a family, what does Lightning and Sahz have left? I'm up to Chapter 8 now, and suddenly being a l'Cie doesn't seem so bad anymore.

I don't mind characters having personal pains and overcoming dark personal tragedies but I become less sympathetic when I have to listen to it all the time. I don't appreciate it in real life and I certainly don't like paying money to listen to fictional characters do it for 10+ hours straight. I can sympathize with him but it doesn't mean I have to like him or respect him. We all have different taste and toleration levels. :p

cheesesteak
03-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Fang or Jihl.

I really like good-looking women who are stern and know what they want.

Plus, it's a fairly weak cast, imo. :jess:

Darkwolf090
03-25-2010, 05:06 PM
To be completely honest I'm going to side with Wolf here.
Sure I can understand why Hope is whiny about that stuff, but seriously all of the cast has things to whine about, yet do they? Not really, I mean sure they do atleast like once, like Snow, he whines like once or twice in this game the rest of the time he is all gun hoe and crap.

So while I understand why Hope is whining he should suck it up like everyone else in the game did, even Vanille sucks it up and her problem is much bigger then his. As would I go and punch him? No not likely, I'd just slap him and tell him to STFU!

Then again I've never been a huge fan of the Child chars in any Final Fantasy or RPG cept the childs who dont act like kids at all.

Then again I'm the guy who loves the overpowered chars storyline wise and such like Arumat from SO4 and Dias in SO2 and Magus in CT etc etc etc.

So Hope wasnt my cup of tea to begin with... HOWEVER I am willing to admit I like him alot more then alot of the other children chars of past RPGs.

Elpizo
03-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Lightning spends the entire first half of the game whining alongside Hope, and everybody screams how "cool and awesome" she is for punching a guy who she blames for things she didn't do **** about herself.

I wanted to see her punched in the face, for a change, because she was damn annoying at least until she grew a heart and looked after Hope. Lightning, at first, really was the hate of all the series fans for child characters incarnated. No doubt about it.

I don't see how Hope whines more than anybody else, but Snow. Sazh contemplates SUICIDE. That's "sucking it up"? Vanille runs away from her responsibilities and her part of the blame. That's "sucking it up"? Lightning vents out her frustration on all she comes across cause she can't deal with reality. That's "sucking it up"?! Only exceptions here are Fang and Snow. And of those two only Fang doesn't get annoying.

Excuse me for pointing out the flaws in "only Hope whines", argument, gentlemen.

Wolf Kanno
03-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Hope does whine, the others just try to run away but they do it in a way where it doesn't really involve talking. I'm more of an "action" type problem solver, not this "let me search my feelings" type that Hope is. I can appreciate the other characters "throwing themselves into something to run away from their problems than the one who spends his time mostly moping and not doing anything til Major Bitch puts her six inch heels up his ass and makes him finally try moving towards a goal. I hate people who just sit around and fall into despair.

I'm not going to argue with Lightning cause I agree she's just as bad as Hope but listening to her go on about actually doing something as opposed to listening to Hope whine about not being able to confront Snow for the first few chapters is very grating on my nerves. Sazh also lost much more than Hope and objectively looking at their circumstances, Sazh was truly screwed over more than Hope was.

If Snow hadn't interfered, both Hope and Nora would have most likely been killed by PSICOM in the Purge. The events leading to her death were outside of Snow's control and basically all three just found themselves being in the wrong place at the wrong time and subject to fate. Hope's issues with Snow is completely unfounded but I gave him slack with his logic cause that's just how it works in real life. It was the first couple hours listening and watching him fail to go into action that bothered me.

I felt his circumstances and his whole tale just took forever to get moving and the circumstances of his story really don't add up to him pouting and whining about what to do. I felt he should have been out to take Snow out as soon as he saw his mother die; not meandering around following Vanille and letting her and Lightning coddle him like he was an 8 year old. He's smurfing 14 years old, he should have a little more spunk than that. :colbert:

Sazh on the other hand has been befriending and protecting the person responsible for turning his son into l'Cie, which eventually caused himself to become a l'Cie of an opposing faction and make himself an enemy to the child he's trying to protect. He gets used by Sanctum, used by Vanille, and loses his only family he has left (well for now at least) I would say Sazh reached the end of his rope more than Hope did. He didn't really whine, he yelled and then tried to take his own life but couldn't bring himself to do it. He still hung onto something despite being screwed more than anyone else. This also all happens in like One Chapter as opposed to listening to Hope and Lightning bitch about their problems for nearly 7 Chapters.

Had Vanille and Lightning not been there to keep pushing Hope, I hardly feel he would have made it as far as he has.

Vanille could die in a fire for all I care. I'm surprised the party hasn't lynched her yet (in Chapter 10 currently).

Now that I am further in the game, I can say I don't mind Hope or Lightning, he does in fact become a much more likable character as the plot goes on but I wish I didn't have to suffer through him for the first 6 Chapters of the game before he became likable. I understand he has had it rough but it doesn't mean pity should allow me to excuse him for getting on my nerves. I found him to be a grating character for the first half of the game and its only now in the second half that he's become a decent character.

If he wasn't like that I would probably like the kid, but I feel there have been far better kid characters who have overcome their ordeals far more gracefully than Hope has (Thomas from Suikoden III, Ken Amada from Persona 3, Maria Balthazar from Xenogears) so while he is certainly not the worst character, I don't see the appeal. Nor do I feel the logic of his circumstances completely circumvent and void anyone negative feelings a player could have towards him.

So yes, the rest of the cast has their "pouty" moments but they don't do it nearly as drawn out and obnoxiously like Hope did for me so I am more quick to forgive them. Besides, Lightning's monologue of realizing she's been a bitch for the first 15 hours of the game was more comically amusing than annoying. Existential angst usually is though. ;)

Edge7
03-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Just beat chapter 7. Finally starting to like Hope. Love Snow, Fang and Sazh, Vanille's improving, Lightning's meh.

And to address the Hope debate, what really annoyed me is the fact that it takes 2 hours into the game before Hope gets angry. I may be wrong, but if I saw my mom die, I would probably be either hellbent on revenge from the get-go, or I would let the people responsible go, and mope for a while. It feels as though Hope does the latter at first, and then transitions into the former. It just feels unnatural to me. Also, I feel as though the Sanctum would have been a far more appropriate scapegoat than Snow, or even Anima itself. Hope just picks the easiest target.

Jiro
03-30-2010, 09:55 AM
The only character I'm not a fan of thus far is Fang, and she's had all of 30 seconds screen time.

Jaffer
03-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Though I love all the characters, Hope and Sazh.

Kenshin IV
04-03-2010, 03:12 AM
I'm shocked so many people are saying Hope. Shocked.

Easily the most obnoxious character in the game, and easily one of the all time worst in the franchise. Please send him off to a deserted island with Quina, Zell, Selphie, and Irvine where they can all be obnoxious together. You can get a ticket for Snow while you're at it.

To answer the question, Fang. Although I did really like Sazh a lot, and Lightning was pretty cool. Vanille was kind of annoying at first, but she completely redeemed herself by the end. They all need to change their names, though. And should get on that right quick.

No.78
04-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Fang is. I had decided this before I even bought the game and I was not disappointed.

I was however expecting to use Snow more, but I think the last time I used him was at the icy-arena place when he drags Hope around on his motorbike. So yeah, Snow was a disappointment but I love Fang.

And Fang-arok is awesome.

Hope was far too... How can I put this? Americany, for my tastes. Enough of the morale talks and self revelations, please!

Elpizo
04-03-2010, 01:24 PM
What's so shocking about an opinion? I'm shocked so many people hate Hope. Just like I'm shocked many people find bitchy Lightning awesome. Some like what others hate. And for the record, I thought Irvine was the best character in VIII. ;)

Mo-Nercy
04-03-2010, 03:52 PM
I am a Lightning fanboy!!11

WooO!! >_<

Rodney
04-03-2010, 04:34 PM

Easily the most obnoxious character in the game, and easily one of the all time worst in the franchise. Please send him off to a deserted island with Quina, Zell, Selphie, and Irvine where they can all be obnoxious together. You can get a ticket for Snow while you're at it.

I thought Hope was obnoxious UNTIL he finally admitted to himself that he'd only been looking for someone to blame for Nora's death and actually knew all along that it was just an accident. And yet, he's still my favorite in the cast, regardless.

Frankly, I'm more shocked at all those who said Snow. I find him way more obnoxious than Hope. (So I agree with you on him being obnoxious.) He's like Zell if he were a few years older.

But in what world is Quina obnoxious? He was just . . . kinda slow, that's all.

Pete for President
04-03-2010, 07:11 PM
I like Sazh most. Although (strange as this may sound) I think he would be much more memorable if he really shot himself. That would be a legendary plottwist, going from "yay new eidolon" to killing yourself within a minute. A bit off-topic but I think game developers should take more risks to make games more dramatic IMO. Makes stuff more memorable.

Other than that, Fang is quite badass.

Hope is the only character I don't really use in battle unless I really need to. Diggin' the boomerang though, but he's all magic-user, so meh.

VeloZer0
04-03-2010, 08:03 PM
That would be a legendary plottwist
I couldn't agree more. No one would ever have seen it coming.

thehairguy
04-04-2010, 07:37 AM
I love Hope. He is probably my new favorite Final Fantasy character! I love his unique weapon, over all look, and his eidolon is freaking awesome!! I've always been a big fan of magic users aswell, but throughout the series there is a lack of male magic users...imo. I think his story is touching, but he always sticks with Lightening, and I think they make a kick-butt duo haha. I also enjoy playing as him, because first access to all of the -aga spells is awesome! they all look amazing on screen!

Del Murder
04-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Hope is definitely growing on me. It seems like he has the most development in the game. He was a very well-done character and that goes even further because with a kid like that it would have been really easy for him to just come off as an annoying brat.

demondude
04-05-2010, 10:53 AM
The only thing putting me off Hope are his terrible clothes.

Mo-Nercy
04-05-2010, 05:54 PM
The only thing putting me off Hope are his terrible clothes.
Yes. Clearly his mother had dressed him. What the heck is up with that orange shawl-thing?

I do like Hope though for all the reasons others have spoke of.