PDA

View Full Version : Music

Del Murder
03-15-2010, 06:36 AM
What do you guys think of the music in this game? I like the battle theme but most of it is pretty forgettable, much like FFXII's was. It's not bad, just not as memorable as the older games.

Is the traditional FF fanfare in this game? I haven't heard it yet. If it isn't it will make me mad. :mad2:

Moon Rabbits
03-15-2010, 06:38 AM
iirc fanfare isn't in it.
The music is decent. The battle theme reminds me of the Outer Senshi's transformation music from Sailor Moon :bigsmile:

I like the guitar riffs and harmonicas in the scenes where it's just two characters talking.

eestlinc
03-15-2010, 06:59 AM
some of the more ambient stuff is good. i haven't decided yet on the whole.

Shlup
03-15-2010, 07:04 AM
I like it just fine. When I'm in the kitchen I often have the game on pause and just enjoy the ambient music.

Then again, I don't really find any FF music particularly memorable.

Blackmage
03-15-2010, 07:20 AM
Battle pieces are pretty nice, but the rest of the soundtrack was pretty blah, if you ask me. Oh, and the nice vocalized Chocobo theme was cool. Otherwise, some of the music feels really out of place; I remember one spot in particular made me feel like I should be in a coffee shop talking about something abstract over a Grande Caramel Mocha with extra whipped cream, and not in an area where things are blowing up in my face.

I'd say while it's not bad, it's probably my overall least favorite soundtrack of the (main) Final Fantasy games. Unless you count X-2 as a main FF game. Then FFXIII's OST is second-least favorite.

Suikojowy
03-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Just like XII listening back to it outside the game I can tell the music was really well put together but it just doesn't grab me, nothing ever stands out while I'm playing the game and I can't remember any of it off the top of my head besides the battle theme. I miss the catchy melodic stuff.

I've only just reached Chapter 11 though so maybe it's just a matter of giving it time.

Lightening
03-15-2010, 04:45 PM
I really like that melody with the dramatic violin playing, it sets the mood. and I also like the heroic music that sometimes plays, sorry I don't know what they're called.

crazybayman
03-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Same here. So far so good. Music goes with the atmosphere, and sets the tone. However nothing really stands out to me.

Music that has really stood out to me over the years are FFVII Cloud's Theme (overworld music), FFVII music while on the corel mine train tracks, FFVIII Balamb Garden music, FF1 overworld and town themes, FFIV overworld, FFVI overworld (both overworld musics), FFX Besaid island music, and FFX Otherworld.

However, like XII, I like the music, but nothing in XIII really stands out.....yet. Perhaps that'll change as I play it more. It kind of grows on you after a while.

Loony BoB
03-15-2010, 05:57 PM
When you're playing as Snow, it's more likely to have some heavier song(s?) on, which I've enjoyed. I've liked a lot of the music in chapter eleven so far, but admittedly none of the music has really stood out like it did in the older games. It's probably because it just isn't designed to - these days I think they focus more on the visuals than the audio (well, obviously), and that means music takes a back seat.

The background songs aren't too bad. I think there was singing in the "dampness is damp" level, which I thought was nice.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the main reasons I can think of that music is not a major thing anymore is made up of...
1. A lack of overworld / traversable world map. You don't spend a lot of time in any one area,
2. Sound effects have improved. When you walk around, you hear non-stop footsteps and so on. This, again, means you aren't just hearing music anymore.
3. Voice acting. When, for example, Aeris dies, you notice the music because nobody talks. When, in fact, anything happened in earlier FF's, you noticed the music because nobody talked. Music takes a massive back seat to talking now. It's understandable in some ways, but I think that if they took the time to allow for more 'silent moments' with music going over them, it would allow people to appreciate the music and attach a scene / emotion to them. Even battle scenes have talking through them.

Music will never be a big thing in future FF's, as far as I can see. It's sad, and I do miss RPG's which don't have voice acting, but I guess that's just the way it goes.

Yar
03-15-2010, 06:04 PM
I will agree with you about the forgetableness, Del.

Other than one or two songs, I really haven't felt the urge of "oh I want to hear this song again."

However, I have also the feeling listening to the music that it doesn't sound Uematsuy, which in this case I think is a good thing. Trying to imagine the kind of music from other entries being used with this game doesn't really work in my head. Having its own flavor of music is definitely for the better if you ask me Hamauzu did an excellent job.

Aruu
03-15-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm falling in love with the battle theme the more I play it, it's not traditional Final Fantasy music, but it fits in perfectly with the feel of the game overall. It builds up with the pace of the battle more often than not, and it has quite some pretty and dramatic moments in there.

In the oddest way, it reminds me of the Lost Odyssey battle theme in the way it starts out.

Del Murder
03-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Music will never be a big thing in future FF's, as far as I can see. It's sad, and I do miss RPG's which don't have voice acting, but I guess that's just the way it goes.
Uematsu is supposed to be doing the soundtrack to XIV so I have high hopes for its soundtrack.

Fynn
03-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Haven't been able to play the game yet, but I heard the soundtrack and I think it is AMAZING! Not a big fan of electronic music, but it's nicelly blended in here. I love Hamauzu's impressionist visions and this OST delivers them splendidly :D And the music in the series is evolving. This is the real deal - some of the tracks sound really artistic. Way to go, Hamauzu, for delivering more and more of the ambitious side to game music. Probably my favourite OST thus far.

Rad Bromance
03-15-2010, 06:55 PM
I love the battle theme and the music on the Chapter 9 boss (where I'm currently stuck) and the chocobo theme. Overall the music is just nice to me.

Far better than FFXII's snooze of a soundtrack anyway.

EDIT: I agree with you Del, I find the lack of the victory fanfare appauling. :mad:

Dreddz
03-15-2010, 08:44 PM
I think its pretty great so far. One of the few good things I can say about this game.

Jings
03-15-2010, 09:00 PM
I enjoyed the little song that played when Serah ran off to the pier down by the beach and you had to chase after her with Snow.

Suikojowy
03-15-2010, 10:03 PM
I think Bob nailed it, it's hard for tracks to really stand out when there's voice acting and constant sound effects over them. That said though FFX had voice acting and I liked it's soundtrack, not as much as previous Final Fantasy games but it had it's moments.

It's not the same listening to them outside the game afterwards because then it's not attached to the game

eestlinc
03-16-2010, 01:15 AM
And the music in the series is evolving. This is the real deal - some of the tracks sound really artistic.
I agree with this. I haven't played far yet, so I don't know how well the whole soundtrack comes together. But there is some good, interesting, well-composed music in there.

Coolhowi
03-16-2010, 08:24 AM
Hey is it just me or does the battle music kind of sound like that one song from brawl? Its that one section actually in the battle music with the violin playing those lines. Its just those lines, but it sounds very similar and harmonically correct. And second the music is like the exact opposite of Nobou, just putting that out there...

eestlinc
03-17-2010, 07:22 AM
the battle music is awesome in chapter 7 when you fight in the streets of palumpolum with snow and hope. It was so good I thought I was fighting a boss when the first group of aerial troopers attacked, and I stocked up on buffs.