PDA

View Full Version : 3D Fighter vs 2D Fighter. Round 2. FIGHT.

Mo-Nercy
03-16-2010, 02:16 AM
The reason I say Round 2 is because I remember someone had put the exact same topic to discussion years ago. I don't remember how that thread turned out, but I think with Street Fighter 4 (still on a traditional 2D plane) doing the rounds at the moment, standing strong against the likes of Tekken and Soul Calibur, it's time that I brought this up again.

From the Pad vs. Stick (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/130271-pad-vs-stick.html) thread, I can see that we've got a lot of fighting genre enthusiasts on General Gaming as well.

Me? Personally, I like 3D fighters. The first game I ever bought for myself was Battle Arena Toshinden 3 and Tekken 2 didn't come far behind that. I haven't really played a lot of 2D games like KoF or SF, but I have the utmost respect for people that do because, from the perspective of someone outside looking in, they're much more fast-paced than Tekken or Soul Calibur (the fighting games I play the most these days). I used to play a bit of Samurai Shodown because it was next to the SC2 machine, and I sucked balls at it. :D. So the first vote goes to 3D.

black orb
03-16-2010, 02:30 AM
>>> I like both, but when it comes to 3D fighters i just dig a couple of games like Soul calibur and Dissidia, the rest bore me to death. Most of the 2D fighters are awesome..:luca:

Mirage
03-16-2010, 02:33 AM
I don't know why, but I always found the 2D fighters I tried to be a lot harder to get into than the 3D ones.

And the girls in 3D fighters are a lot hotter.

Pheesh
03-16-2010, 04:17 AM
I prefer 3D, but I don't go off of a wealth of experience. I simply enjoy Tekken more than I enjoy Street Fighter I guess (although I used to love Mortal Kombat 2 xD).

NeoCracker
03-16-2010, 05:24 AM
For the most part 3D fighters, though I vote 2D because my favorite fighting game, Blazblu, is 2D. Outside of that though, the best are all in the 3D realm.

Wolf Kanno
03-16-2010, 05:32 AM
I've always like 2D fighters better, especially since they create more instances of being fast whereas 3D fighters always feel sluggish and slow to me. Its not that I hate 3D fighters but very few have ever really impressed me too much. Whereas SFII has kept my soul for years and games like MvC, KoF, GGXX, and my current fave, Tatsunoka Vs. Capcom (sp?) have always found ways to bring me back.

I guess there just hasn't been a 3D fighter yet that has made it up to my elitist fanboy standards. ;)

NeoCracker
03-16-2010, 06:03 AM
I've always like 2D fighters better, especially since they create more instances of being fast whereas 3D fighters always feel sluggish and slow to me. Its not that I hate 3D fighters but very few have ever really impressed me too much. Whereas SFII has kept my soul for years and games like MvC, KoF, GGXX, and my current fave, Tatsunoka Vs. Capcom (sp?) have always found ways to bring me back.

I guess there just hasn't been a 3D fighter yet that has made it up to my elitist fanboy standards. ;)

You realize elitist fanboy standards aren't so much standards that one is able to pass, so much as they are the giant clamps that force your eyelids shut when an obviously superior thing comes around. ;)

Araciel
03-16-2010, 06:31 AM
2-D forevaaaaa

Kyros
03-16-2010, 06:33 AM
I'm a lot better at the 3d fighting games, but I wouldnt say I'm bad at 2d fighters either. I'm going to choose not to vote b/c 3rd strike, tvc, and cap vs snk scream for me to choose one while tekken and sc make me want to choose the other. I think overall 3d fighters have come along very well over the generations of games, while some 2d fighters seems to have digressed to worse than their formal selves (mainly sf and kof).

Wolf Kanno
03-16-2010, 06:44 AM
You realize elitist fanboy standards aren't so much standards that one is able to pass, so much as they are the giant clamps that force your eyelids shut when an obviously superior thing comes around. ;)

If they were "obviously superior" we wouldn't be having this discussion now would we? :p You just go on and play your silly Tekken and DOA while the big boys over here play BlazBlue and GG: AC+ ;)

Lightening
03-16-2010, 07:00 AM
I played the demo for Battle Arena Toshinden for hours and hours. You could only be Ellis, Fo or Eiji and you could only play one match at a time, but it was so much fun. I would always plot how I could make them fall off the platform. :D I suppose that makes my answer 3D

NeoCracker
03-16-2010, 08:54 AM

If they were "obviously superior" we wouldn't be having this discussion now would we? :p You just go on and play your silly Tekken and DOA while the big boys over here play BlazBlue and GG: AC+ ;)

No, the simple fact there are things that are 'obviously superior' and yet don't get recognized as such is exactly why we have these conversations. ^_^

And DOA sucks, and Blazblu is my favorite fighter, since you obviously weren't paying attention nimrod. :mad2:

Drift
03-16-2010, 06:57 PM
I can't decide! Street Fighter and Blaz Blue on 2D but then there's Tekken and Dead or Alive for 3D. argh!!!! damn you Mo! ;-;

Bolivar
03-16-2010, 09:27 PM
To me this is like absurd reviewers who actually criticize linearity; there's more than one way to skin a cat and a game can triumph regardless of whatever genre/formula mold it puts itself in.

BUT if I had to pick which style has more games that I like, it would definitely be 2D.

Its not that I hate 3D fighters but very few have ever really impressed me too much. Whereas SFII has kept my soul for years and games like MvC, KoF, GGXX, and my current fave, Tatsunoka Vs. Capcom (sp?) have always found ways to bring me back.

I think because 3d fighters have been more technology-concerned, a "better one" or definitive version comes out every few years, whereas 2D fighters from almost 20 years ago and can go toe-to-toe with the best of them today.

We played MvC for years after the game released and now that the HD re-release has come out on PSN, it's the default pastime whenever I have people over with nothing to do. I like Soul Caliber, Tekken, and I love Virtua Fighter, but they've never really captured me like 2D ones have.

And the girls in 3D fighters are a lot hotter.

AMEN to that though.:drool:

Slothy
03-17-2010, 12:57 AM
How could I choose between Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter or Street Fighter and Blazblue.

Fuck it, I choose both 2D and 3D. Both have their awesome titles and anyone who says otherwise can go to hell.

And DOA sucks

Thank god I'm not the only one who realizes this.

Depression Moon
03-17-2010, 02:31 AM
I like both, though I've been playing 3-D ones more because after the SFII and MKII craze, the 3-D generation came with Tekken and Soul Calibur the two fighters I've played way more than the time I had spent with the old 2-d games. Super Smash Bros. Brawl was the first 2-D fighter I played since SFII and MKII. Wait, no I had borrowed someone's copy of MK Deception for about a month. That game was decent, but smash was the first since those two games that I've played a crazy amount of. SFIV has been the second since that time and now I guess I'm getting back into them, but nothing will beat my love for the ol' Tekken.

Mo-Nercy
03-17-2010, 04:36 AM
And DOA sucks

Thank god I'm not the only one who realizes this.
It has to be the worst ongoing series of fighting games out there. The controls are stupid. The characters are bland, even by fighting game standards. And no amount of breasts could change my mind.

I don't even enjoy playing as the girls. I only ever used to like using Ein and Jann Lee anyway.

Wolf Kanno
03-17-2010, 04:56 AM

No, the simple fact there are things that are 'obviously superior' and yet don't get recognized as such is exactly why we have these conversations. ^_^

And DOA sucks, and Blazblu is my favorite fighter, since you obviously weren't paying attention nimrod. :mad2:

If it was "obviously superior" I should be able to recognize it, instead I see "sluggish and slow crap with pretty pictures", the only thing "obvious" here is your poor taste, as usual. The fact you said 3D is superior and said BlazBlue is your favorite voids your entire logic in this debate. You don't deserve BlazBlue :colbert: Debate Over.

NeoCracker
03-17-2010, 05:19 AM

If it was "obviously superior" I should be able to recognize it, instead I see "sluggish and slow crap with pretty pictures", the only thing "obvious" here is your poor taste, as usual. The fact you said 3D is superior and said BlazBlue is your favorite voids your entire logic in this debate. You don't deserve BlazBlue :colbert: Debate Over.

And this is why you fail my dear friend.

I simply stated all of my favorites outside of Blazblu are all 3D. I never stated 3D was superior, the talk of that simply came about in regards to your fanboy nature.

For failing to brush up on your reading comprehension, the debate is most certainly over, but not in your favor mind you. :doublecolbert:

Mirage
03-17-2010, 05:51 AM
hey now
i liek dead or alive
at least i liked doa2 hc that i've got on my ps2
haven't played it since

SuperMillionaire
03-17-2010, 07:29 PM
I like both, but my favorite would actually be 2.5D (two-and-a-half-dimensional).

Rase
03-17-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm better at 2D games, therefore I like them more. That's really all there is to it.