PDA

View Full Version : Where did you go to University?

Jings
03-16-2010, 11:07 PM
I assume most of the people on here went to/are in/are planning to go to University and I thought it'd be interesting to find out where we all went and what we studied.

I graduated last summer from the University of Glasgow with an MA in History (queue jokes) and quite honestly feel that it was a total waste of my time. So what about the rest of you?

Oh and to add a bit of fun to the thread I thought we could find where our universities are ranked, according to the Times of course, and whoever went to the 'best' school wins a special prize. I don't think they've published the 2010 rankings so I went with the 2009 one which can be found here: Times Higher Education (http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/hybrid.asp?typeCode=438)

According to The Times my school is ranked 79th. What about yours? I should also mention that I don't believe these rankings are in any way reflective of how 'good' or 'bad' a school is and put no stock in them whatsoever. I don't know what criteria the schools in this list were judged on and, well, I don't care. It's not as easy as just saying this school is better than that one. I just thought it'd be a bit of fun.

Aerith's Knight
03-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Currently I'm at the Eindhoven University of Technology, working on a MSc. in Applied Physics.

My school's ranking changes every year. Usually in the top 100 somewhere though.

Flying Mullet
03-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Bachelor's in Computer Science: Fort Lewis College (http://www.fortlewis.edu/)
Master's in Computer Science: Sam Houston State University - Texas - Carnegie Research Doctoral Univ (http://www.shsu.edu/)

Tavrobel
03-16-2010, 11:16 PM
University of Maryland, College Park: tied rank 122/123. Intended major: double degree in Fire Protection Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, May 2012 (B.S.). In current events, the tuition freeze is supposed to end, which means I'll have to pay more next year and on, but fortunately, I'll be out of here in no time soon.

Drift
03-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Nottingham Trent in the UK, Bsc in Computer System (Networks) final year this october

Rantz
03-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Linnaeus University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linnaeus_University). I don't have a clue about that ranking stuff, but I'm enjoying my education.

Quindiana Jones
03-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Manchester, 26th in 2009. Which is cool.

Although I fail to understand how Cambridge doesn't trump Harvard on that list when it has a higher average score.

Tavrobel
03-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Either because the opinion of students and those from out of the country don't matter, or because Harvard is somehow helping to pay for this. Or a combination of both.

That being said, it's just of list of overall prestige. If you really care about your career, you'd focus more on that aspect of the school, and where that institution stands. For example, an engineering school wants to rank highest in engineering publications, to hell with general education.

Shlup
03-17-2010, 12:11 AM
I went to California State University, San Bernardino. It's basically a factory for teachers and is mostly a commuter school, nothing super fun or impressive. I got a BA in Psychology, another one in Human Development, and a multiple subject teaching credential. I also worked at the infant daycare on campus.

rubah
03-17-2010, 12:17 AM
uark.edu (the actual campus :p)

I actually wore my college of engineering shirt today! wooooooo pig sooiee

Quindiana Jones
03-17-2010, 12:34 AM
That being said, it's just of list of overall prestige. If you really care about your career, you'd focus more on that aspect of the school, and where that institution stands. For example, an engineering school wants to rank highest in engineering publications, to hell with general education.

Oh yeah, I know. I just found it funny. xD

Rye
03-17-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm gonna have gone to a record of 3 different universities for my undergrad.

Freshman Year: University of Rhode Island
(fairly average school, but I quite enjoyed it - way overpriced for out of state students though)

Sophomore Year: University of Reading
(Studied abroad for the year to this univeristy in the UK. It's fairly :bou::bou::bou::bou:, though it has a high ranking, which goes to show what that ranking system actually amounts to. Let's hope I graduate on time, considering how royally this school has dicked me over in regards to the classes I weren't able to take, despite being promised them when signing up as a study abroad students)

Junior Year: ????
(Still waiting on the acceptance of two schools I've transferred to in my area. One I was accepted to in advanced because they were so impressed with my graded, apparently. The other is probably the most prestigious school (which is the say, it's a pretty good school, but it's nothing Ivy League-esqu... which is good, because I a sooo done with these fancy up their ass highly rated schools which end up being :bou::bou::bou::bou: because they don't HAVE to actually improve to keep up) in the area, so I have to wait longer on my transfer acceptance, but I'm fairly certain I got in, because I have a 3.9 GPA.)

My Mom says I must get a mug from each university I go to. She's going to have a vast collection by the time I'm done.

Aerith's Knight
03-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Manchester, 26th in 2009. Which is cool.

Although I fail to understand how Cambridge doesn't trump Harvard on that list when it has a higher average score.

Name all the Universities you know, regardless of where they are. 90% chance they are on the list. That's just it, Everyone knows Harvard, so it doesn't really matter how good it is.

Jings
03-17-2010, 01:01 AM
(Studied abroad for the year to this univeristy in the UK. It's fairly :bou::bou::bou::bou:, though it has a high ranking, which goes to show what that ranking system actually amounts to. Let's hope I graduate on time, considering how royally this school has dicked me over in regards to the classes I weren't able to take, despite being promised them when signing up as a study abroad students

Ha you sound just like my girlfriend. She studied abroad in the UK and didn't have too many nice things to say about it. Still we got to spend 10 months together (five in the UK, five in the US) so it was worth it.

Also, if you go to four different universities for your four undergrad years, who issues the degree? Your post got me thinking. I guess it'd be the final year institution, never thought about that before.

Jiro
03-17-2010, 01:12 AM
USC doesn't make the list :bigsmile:

In defense of USC though, it's younger than I am. So of course everyone is going to be predisposed to thinking it's :bou::bou::bou::bou:. I get the endless rants about how good sandstone universities are, but I went to the University of Queensland Open Day and yeah the sandstone was nice, but the rooms were dirty and old and if you looked at the roof of the walkways, there was mould and spiderswebs everywhere.

Stick your sandstone and fancy ratings, I'll take my beach locale and "inferior" courses anyday. After all, my "inferior" journalism course is the only one in the state that mentions the internet. But the internet isn't an important journalistic tool now is it? :)

Jowy
03-17-2010, 01:15 AM
work is paying for me to go back to college and get an 8.5 x 11 slice of paper that says i'm smart enough to do my job.

i have no fucking idea where i want to go or what to major in.

Raistlin
03-17-2010, 01:20 AM
Undergraduate degree: B.A. in Political Science and History from Gettysburg College, PA. Numbers-wise it was my safety school, but it was my second choice because of its excellent history program, especially for American history. I really enjoyed it.

I'm currently in law school at William & Mary. I am surprised W&M is not on the list somewhere, as the solely-US rankings have ranked it similar to or above many of those universities (it only has one undergraduate college, but does offer graduate degrees, obviously). Maybe it doesn't technically qualify as a "university" regardless, although again the US rankings have it listed as such. Who knows.

Rye
03-17-2010, 01:22 AM
(Studied abroad for the year to this univeristy in the UK. It's fairly :bou::bou::bou::bou:, though it has a high ranking, which goes to show what that ranking system actually amounts to. Let's hope I graduate on time, considering how royally this school has dicked me over in regards to the classes I weren't able to take, despite being promised them when signing up as a study abroad students

Ha you sound just like my girlfriend. She studied abroad in the UK and didn't have too many nice things to say about it. Still we got to spend 10 months together (five in the UK, five in the US) so it was worth it.

Also, if you go to four different universities for your four undergrad years, who issues the degree? Your post got me thinking. I guess it'd be the final year institution, never thought about that before.

Hahaha, that sounds like me and my boyfriend; half the reason I did the year abroad was because it would be a good way of spending time with my boyfriend for 6 months while still working towards my degree. It definitely is worth it, even though I'm not a huge fan of this university or the area (I seriously wish we could have studied in Ireland together instead of the south of England - or even just studied in the midlands or up north. Reading sucks. XD)

I think it'd be the final year institution. I'd seriously love to try all four years at four different places, but that'd be even more of a pickle of a course credit situation than the one I'll probably be in once I return home.

I really like the spirit of the new university I'm hoping to go to; when I went there to just take a gander around at the beginning of the university year (before I left to go to England), it was so energetic and it looked really vibrant and spirited, even for a university that is a good deal commuter. Plus, can't beat $6,000 a year in tuition with a stick, unless I get a little bit of scholarship money too along with acceptance.

Old Manus
03-17-2010, 01:38 AM
Aberystwyth University, which unfortunately does not feature on that Times list. Fuck you, homeland.

PureMourning
03-17-2010, 05:17 AM
- Central Texas College
- Hawai'i Pacific University
- DigiPen Institute of Technology

What can I say? I can't stay put!

Jessweeee♪
03-17-2010, 06:03 AM
I enrolled here at Texas State University last fall as a Computer Science major. As of this morning I am a pre-Psychology major!

NorthernChaosGod
03-17-2010, 06:12 AM
University of California, San Diego
BS in General Biology.
76 on the Times.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-17-2010, 09:09 AM
I did my BA in World Religions (minor in East Asian Cultural Studies) at McGill University. According to the list, it ranked 18th internationally, highest for Canada.

I agree about the program, just because the university has a good reputation, doesn't mean it always has the best programs. The best example I can think of is here in Montreal. McGill has much more international renown than Concordia (both are the only English universities in the city), thus a lot more people will go to McGill for Management, however Concordia's John Molson School of Business is, from all accounts that I have, a much better program than McGill's Desautels Faculty of Management.

The rivalry between the two is crazy. *sighs* It is almost as bad as console fanboys at times! :/

Cuchulainn
03-17-2010, 12:26 PM
never went. I'm a commoner. I'm lucky I can read the question.

Mo-Nercy
03-17-2010, 12:33 PM
I currently go to the University of Sydney, which is ranked equal 36th on the rankings according to the link.

But we couldn't give a smurf about the rankings, us USYD-ers. Instead, we're infinitely proud of our beautiful sandstone buildings, green-green lawns and the delightful smell of our farts.

Aerith's Knight
03-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Fun fact: 70% of all Universities in the Netherlands are on that list.

I wonder how much of the Uni's in the UK is on there. But perhaps too large a country to check.

Xaven
03-17-2010, 01:14 PM
University of California, Riverside here. Same university system as UC San Diego, where NorChaGo (rhymes with Chicago) goes and 25 minutes from Shlup's CSUSB.

UCLA, Berkeley, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Davis, and Irvine are Times top 200. But, Riverside is sooo cool, we're #-1 with our buddies Santa Cruz and Merced!

USC doesn't make the list :funnyface:
USC = University of Southern California! >:O See? usc dot edu (http://usc.edu)

Rye
03-17-2010, 02:33 PM

I wonder how much of the Uni's in the UK is on there. But perhaps too large a country to check.

If most UK uni's are anything like University of Reading, which is supposed to be a good school, then it's little wonder why they're not really on the list. My average state school university I attended in first year blows this place out of the water. XD

I looked up a list of best US universities, and the university I'm applying to and waiting on is actually on the list. Word up to the SUNY schools?

Jiro
03-17-2010, 03:01 PM
USC doesn't make the list :funnyface:
USC = University of Southern California! >:O See? usc dot edu (http://usc.edu)

I meant University of the [allegedly] Sunshine Coast! Should have realised the acronym would be a little less unique when taking the whole world into account xD

Also yes I am going to keep mentioning the rain in some context until it goes the fuck away. I wonder what will occur first; the rain stopping or me getting banned for mentioning the damn weather.

Rodarian
03-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Class of 2005 at Ryerson University for Marketing&Management

Class of 2009 at Indus Valley School of Art and Architecture for Textile Design

Aerith's Knight
03-17-2010, 06:16 PM

If most UK uni's are anything like University of Reading, which is supposed to be a good school, then it's little wonder why they're not really on the list. My average state school university I attended in first year blows this place out of the water. XD

I looked up a list of best US universities, and the university I'm applying to and waiting on is actually on the list. Word up to the SUNY schools?

Wait.. You're applying to SUNY?

I'm applying for SUNY, well, for the CNSE departement, anyway. Small world, ain't it?

Rye
03-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Which SUNY? =O I'm applying to Stony Brook.

Jings
03-17-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm currently in law school at William & Mary.

I'm jealous. I visited William & Mary last year when I went to Williamsburg and thought it looked like an excellent school. Of course as a history major I was in geek heaven in a place like that.

Imperfectionist
03-17-2010, 08:36 PM
I will hopefully be going to either Birmingham (66 on the world list) or Nottingham (91) this September to do a Joint Honours BA in English Literature and French.

Jings
03-17-2010, 08:42 PM
I will hopefully be going to either Birmingham (66 on the world list) or Nottingham (91) this September to do a Joint Honours BA in English Literature and French.

I've seen that this'll be the toughest year in a long time for applicants to get into university. Are you worried?

Aerith's Knight
03-17-2010, 08:45 PM

College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering. (CNSE)

Imperfectionist
03-17-2010, 08:52 PM

I've seen that this'll be the toughest year in a long time for applicants to get into university. Are you worried?

Immensely :( Mine is longer than the usual course as well (4 years rather than 3) so if I don't get in this year i'll have to wait like 5 years to graduate.

Applying to uni in the UK is really not fun, especially for my course.

Miriel
03-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Went to the University of Southern California and got a BA in Sociology which has almost nothing to do with the work I do now. :)

But then again, I know very few people who actually use their degrees in their current careers. I wouldn't say going to school there was useless. I learned a ton and enjoyed the experience, but it definitely isn't worth having to pay student loans for the next 20 years!

escobert
03-17-2010, 10:40 PM
I went to Plymouth State University in Plymouth New Hampshire. Only went for 1 semester. School isn't for me.

Zeldy
03-17-2010, 10:57 PM
If I get the grades I'm predicted, (BBB at A-Level) I have been offered a place at the University of York (ranked joint 70th on that list). I've visited the University, it's absolutely gorgeous and the sociology department is allegedly one of the best. I've applied for Sociology and Criminology :jess:

I have been offered places at Keele University, Cardiff University and Edge Hill University but York man, friggin YORK~~~~

Imperfectionist
03-17-2010, 11:18 PM
If I get the grades I'm predicted, (BBB at A-Level) I have been offered a place at the University of York (ranked joint 70th on that list). I've visited the University, it's absolutely gorgeous and the sociology department is allegedly one of the best. I've applied for Sociology and Criminology :jess:

I have been offered places at Keele University, Cardiff University and Edge Hill University but York man, friggin YORK~~~~

Wow, York is really good, nice one for gettin in :D

Zeldy
03-17-2010, 11:25 PM

Wow, York is really good, nice one for gettin in :D

ahhh I'm not there yet xD Conditional offer, gotta get them 3 Bs!

I Don't Need A Name
03-17-2010, 11:25 PM
It's not a great uni, and I could have gone to a big uni if i wanted to, with my grades, but I decided on going to the University of Lincoln. Doing a BSc in Forensic Science

It's a nice place anyway.

Fujiko
03-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Medicinal technology at Royal Institute of Technology, KTH (Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTH)

The Royal Institute of Technology is a university in Stockholm, Sweden. KTH was founded in 1827 as Sweden's first polytechnic and is with Aalto University School of Science and Technology in Espoo, depending on definition, Scandinavia's largest institution of higher education in technology and one of the leading technical universities in Europe.

Medicine at Royal Caroline Institute, KI (Karolinska Institutet) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karolinska_institutet)

Royal Caroline Institute is one of Europe's largest medical universities. It was founded in 1810 on Kungsholmen island on the west side of Stockholm. KI is a member of the League of European Research Universities. According to the 2009 Academic Ranking of World Universities, the institute is the highest ranked university in clinical medicine and pharmacy in Europe, 8th in the world and Swedens highest ranked university in all categories.

Madame Adequate
03-18-2010, 01:10 AM
Got my Bachelor's in International Relations and Politics at De Montfort Uni, which is pretty low on any list but it pretty great. Currently at Uni of Reading getting my MA in Strategic Studies Blowing Shiet Up, with Rye*, and it's pretty much crap, aside from a couple of good teachers. It's 191 on that list though, and usually in the top 20 in the UK, so it's got prestige.

* Her subject is a lot more prosaic though.

NorthernChaosGod
03-18-2010, 06:56 AM
BS in General Biology.
76 on the Times.

I just want to point out that I am still in school, I wish I could get this part over with and just get to med school already.

Aerith's Knight
03-18-2010, 12:57 PM
BS in General Biology.
76 on the Times.

I just want to point out that I am still in school, I wish I could get this part over with and just get to med school already.

Med school in the states... Gutsy.

I don't think I could stand having a 200 grand debt in my name.

Kossage
03-18-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm studying English as my major at the University of Vaasa, and I'm currently working on my B.A. thesis. It's a nice university with quite many subjects to choose from. However, with recent events taking place in the Finnish educational field, I'm somewhat worried what the future of Finnish universities will end up being in the long run.

Unbreakable Will
03-18-2010, 08:14 PM
I currently go to Volunteer State Community College but I will be going to Austin Peay State University, which I did not find on the list ;~;

NorthernChaosGod
03-18-2010, 09:08 PM
BS in General Biology.
76 on the Times.

Yeah, but if everything goes well and I work hard I should be making at least that a year. In it for the long haul over here.

Aerith's Knight
03-18-2010, 10:32 PM
BS in General Biology.
76 on the Times.

Yeah, but if everything goes well and I work hard I should be making at least that a year. In it for the long haul over here.

Maybe by the time you're 30, but I wouldn't count on it. You have to make it as a med student first, then there's the trainee years, and then you have to make sure you don't get sued either. Still, good luck to you.

NorthernChaosGod
03-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Maybe by the time you're 30, but I wouldn't count on it. You have to make it as a med student first, then there's the trainee years, and then you have to make sure you don't get sued either. Still, good luck to you.

Lol, that's kind of what I mean by the long haul, med school, residency, then going even further into which branch I want. It's going to take forever. Thanks though.

Loony BoB
03-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Wow, I guess I'm one of the extremely few here who didn't bother with University. Could've, but chose not to because I had lost enthusiasm for school-based education. Went full time, never looked back. Got a good reputation for myself in the workplace despite my lack of university education, too. One thing I have learned over the years is that all the things I wanted to do in high school I would no longer wish to do, so chances are if I went for a degree later on in life (and I might, if I have the time and money) I would be going for something much more practical than what I'd have originally gone for. I'd sooner go for a more specific course/certificate than a university degree, though - I would put down money that with my experience, a PRINCE2 course would get me more money than most degrees would, and if I'm right, it's far cheaper/faster/easier, too.

Bunny
03-21-2010, 04:30 AM
University of Maryland, College Park.

I lived about an hour from there a couple years ago. That doesn't matter now, though. I also know someone who went there or still goes there or something. A fat asian chick.

BS in General Biology.
76 on the Times.

I was near there at some point during the last week. Neat place, I enjoy La Jolla.

My girlfriend is probably going to apply there this summer for grad school. Not the only place, of course, but I'd rather she go there than Kansas.

Currently, I go to a local community college. It won't be on any list (except maybe the "places not to go for school" list). Right now I'm just working towards my AA degree before I can transfer to an actual school that probably matters (hopefully somewhere in California, Washington or New York).

I think I'm doing something relating to History and teaching.

NorthernChaosGod
03-21-2010, 10:34 AM
La Jolla is really nice, I like it a lot. Except none of the kids at UCSD really party, it's kind of boring.

Flying Mullet
03-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Tonight my alma mater's women's basketball team will be playing for the NCAA Division II national championship: D-II Finals Preview: Two New Sensations - NCAA.com – The Official Website of NCAA Championships (http://www.ncaa.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/032510aab.html)

I know a lot of people won't care but I'm excited. :D

Bad Wolf
03-30-2010, 10:05 PM
I went to the University of Wisconsin-Barron County (a small 2-year college in Rice Lake, WI, where I grew up) for my associates. Then I went to the University of Wisconsin-Superior, where I got a BA in English and a BS in journalism.

Laddy
03-30-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm going to Brown University in Providence, RI.

:D

Parker
03-31-2010, 01:54 AM
Went to Cardiff in the UK (it was rated 99th the year I went there, but dropped 34 places by the next year....when I dropped out.....coincidence??). I left because the course wasn't for me (geology) but I wish I hadn't because it is a lovely uni and I'd probably be in a better place now if I'd stayed.

(Rejected by all of my uni choices this year. GREAT :( )

eestlinc
03-31-2010, 03:02 AM
I got a Bachelor of Music from the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music and Juris Doctor from the University of Washington School of Law. The University of Cincinnati is nothing special, but the music school is highly ranked. The University of Washington is a great university in general, and the law school is good but not super prestigious. Washington has a much nicer campus than Cincinnati.

Omni-Odin
04-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Florida State U!!! Go Noles!!!

I'm in my 5th and final year of the Biological Science program and will probably be takin it to the next level in the Naval programs they offer (NUPOC or Submarine). Only 3 more months in college. Where does time go???!!!!

Rebellious Eagle
04-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Currently I'd like to attend Northwestern University. I just want to go to a highly academic school in a nice, cold location.

Levian
04-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Universitetet i Agder. I don't care about rankings at all, but I don't think there are more than 10 or so places that have university status in Norway, so I suppose it can't be a horrible place.

Rye
04-04-2010, 05:14 PM
University of Maryland, College Park.

I lived about an hour from there a couple years ago. That doesn't matter now, though. I also know someone who went there or still goes there or something. A fat asian chick.

BS in General Biology.
76 on the Times.

I was near there at some point during the last week. Neat place, I enjoy La Jolla.

My girlfriend is probably going to apply there this summer for grad school. Not the only place, of course, but I'd rather she go there than Kansas.

Currently, I go to a local community college. It won't be on any list (except maybe the "places not to go for school" list). Right now I'm just working towards my AA degree before I can transfer to an actual school that probably matters (hopefully somewhere in California, Washington or New York).

I think I'm doing something relating to History and teaching.

Oooh! That's so cool, we can all hang out.