PDA

View Full Version : I really really like this game - another FF?

ModerateOsprey
03-17-2010, 01:55 AM
This is my first FF game and I have to say I am loving it. It is really refreshing after playing pretty much Mass Effect 1/2 and DAO for the last couple of months and military shooters before that - all light and airy - d*mn it is totally gorgeous to look at.

I am finding the weapons and upgrades very confusing, but I guess it will come to me. I have got as far as the start of Chapter 6 and the story is unfolding nicely.

Any recommendations for another FF game would be gratefully received. PC is preferable as my console is an XBox and I am not sure that my bank balance will stretch to a PS3 right now.

Zaskull
03-17-2010, 02:03 AM
I reccomend VI, IV, and VII. Alot of people get into the series with VII, and it's also argubly the most recongnized and most popular. VII can be played on PSX/PS2, PS3 Download, or you can use an emulator. IV and VI are either played on the Super NES or the Game Boy Advance, or an emulator. Enjoy!

Del Murder
03-17-2010, 02:22 AM
All the FF games are great, but the series is pretty old, so the older games will be, well, more old school.

If you liked the linearity of this game I recommend Final Fantasy X. I think they are similar in terms of pacing. The voice acting is not nearly as good as XIII though. If you liked the battle system I recommend Final Fantasy X-2, which XIII's battles remind me of. Of course, that is a direct sequel to FFX so you might as well play FFX first.

If you just want to play the 'best' FF games then go with VI or VII. Many consider those to be the best. Some hate one and love the other but I love both. :D

Digital Phoenix
03-17-2010, 02:28 AM
I hated III DS and XII, but I think both XIII and X are fantastic. I'll expand my knowledge of this series in the coming months. After I'm done with this game, which will be awhile, I'll be attending to Super Mario Galaxy 2 first, and then I will go out and try a new one. Not sure which one to get. I want to play VI or IX, but the PSN store doesn't have IX up yet, and I am waiting for the DS version of VI. I'm sure it'll come soon, right? As for VII, I'll just wait for the remake... maybe. I'm not in any rush to get to it, to be honest.

I may jump straight to IV DS because my friend has it. I could just borrow it, but I hate old school RPGs with a passion. III DS is one of the worst games I have ever played. It was great for its time I'm sure, but there was no sense in remaking the game and having a new generation of gamers suffer. I'll skip out on I, II, V, XI, and maybe VIII... Depends...

McLovin'
03-17-2010, 02:32 AM
X would be a good transition. Then go to 9. Then go to VIII untainted and uncorrupted by the internet (hopefully). Then 7. Then 6. Then there's only a few left if you really like it.

Lightening
03-17-2010, 02:39 AM
Final Fantasy 1 to 6 are more for harder fans, I think. they're not the best to start with, not in year 2010 anyway. Most of my FF playing friends IRL won't even touch anything older than FF7 because of the graphics mainly. I haven't played them myself either, but I've played and enjoyed FF8 to FFXIII so I'm a bit interested in playing the old ones too now. I think you should play some of the newer ones first to see if the series appeals to you. The best place to start imo is FFX, easy and interesting story to follow and the graphics are very good too. It's a lot like FFXIII actually, not the graphics but everything else.

if you just have an xbox and a PC then I'm not sure if it's possible for you to play them legally. FF7 at least was released for PC in america, but every person in the entire world with the PC version seems to have bugged games that won't let them proceed in the game.

you could always emulate FF7, 8 or 9 if buying a PS2 or PS3 is out of the question. They're all for PSX.

ANGRYWOLF
03-17-2010, 02:53 AM
maybe not.Some people have criticized it for its story and plot developement, chest randomization and other issues.

True that FFX might be more palatable for you.:D

Zaskull
03-17-2010, 02:55 AM
I didn't think of that. Yes, the older FF's are definately for more experienced fans. A quick look at Gamestop has a new PS2 at $99 and a refurbished one at $69. FFX is $17 used. The older PSX FF's (especially VII) are going to really hurt you in the wallet as they are still sought after today and most people like to overprice them.

Shoeberto
03-17-2010, 02:59 AM
If your PC is up to snuff, it wouldn't be hard to get a PS2 emulator to play FFX. I won't go into detail about that (since for whatever reason we're not allowed to link emulator software, which is actually legal as opposed to distributing the games or BIOS files, which is illegal) but there's guides out there on how to do it. I agree that FFX is probably the closest thing to XIII you'll find in the series, and would probably be the smoothest way to introduce you to some of the more old-school elements of the series to prep you for other games.

I'm happy that SE is still able to bring new fans to the series with the newer iterations. Honestly, I didn't think they'd draw many newcomers with this one like they have in the past.

Lightening
03-17-2010, 03:07 AM
Yeah I absolutely love seeing new fans of FF. it's like watching a baby take its first steps, so beautiful.

Shlup
03-17-2010, 03:10 AM
The only other FF I particularly like is IV. I recommend playing through all the classic ones, since you can download them for free.

ETA: Thinking about it, this thread probably technically belongs in General FF. That forum needs more action anyway; it's feeling neglected. Hope you don't mind my moving.

ANGRYWOLF
03-17-2010, 03:10 AM
I didn't think of that. Yes, the older FF's are definately for more experienced fans. A quick look at Gamestop has a new PS2 at $99 and a refurbished one at $69. FFX is $17 used. The older PSX FF's (especially VII) are going to really hurt you in the wallet as they are still sought after today and most people like to overprice them.

for less than $40.I did when my last old one quit. Think I paid $37 at a pawn shop for mine, a slim model.
You might find a copy of FFX for less than $17 at a pawn shop as well.Check out pawn shops and flea markets if you have those in your area.I once found a copy of FF Tactics at a garage sale.So if you live here in the US check those out during the summer.

Good luck.

ModerateOsprey
03-17-2010, 03:14 AM
Thank you all very much for an excellent response :beer:

My PC is good (just upgraded last week), so looking like an emulator is the way to go and X seems to be the one to go for.

I can do old school games, especially if I can get them to run in a window.

Mirage
03-17-2010, 03:41 AM
PS2 emulators aren't really perfect yet, you should expect quite a few graphical glitches, and it requires quite the computer to emulate games at 100% speed.

Merk
03-17-2010, 04:48 AM
If I were you I would buy a refurbished PS2 and buy VII, VIII, IX, X, and XII used. I'm sure it wouldn't cost more than about $85. And you won't be dissapointed.

ModerateOsprey
03-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Right, got my mitts on a 2nd hand PS2 :) So game shopping methinks....

Momiji
03-23-2010, 02:17 AM
Take the dive. Play FFIV.

Jiro
03-24-2010, 06:15 AM
I feel like VI has stood the test of time quite well. Actually, IV as well, even though I haven't played it anywhere near as much as I have VI.

Momiji
03-24-2010, 06:18 AM
FFVI is great, as well, though I certainly would suggest playing FFIV first. Doing so the other way around would sort of subtract from FFIV's greatness. :p