PDA

View Full Version : does this game have good boss battles? NO SPOILERS

reinward
03-17-2010, 03:01 AM
i havent played it yet so no spoilers.

what i mean is does it have good boss battles both in context of the story and in terms difficulty. This is an important aspect of the game. like in 10, how awesome was the yunalesca battle? or in 9 when you first battled beatrix in burmecia, awesome!

i just hope the boss battles arent like 12!

Shoeberto
03-17-2010, 03:04 AM
They're pretty epic and require a lot of attention and strategy. However, many of them are just kind of dropped on you, as far as I've seen. There was one really awesome boss relatively early in the game that fit straight into the plot. I think, basically, you get a lot of random bosses and a small handful of important story bosses. They're all super fun, though, regardless.

Shlup
03-17-2010, 03:14 AM
I dunno, I like 'em. *shrug*

Raistlin
03-17-2010, 03:16 AM
The boss battles are often difficult and time consuming. Context of the story, not so much. There are only a couple of boss battles so far that are really connected t the plot, and the rest are just random or feel really forced (I'm into chapter 11).

Digital Phoenix
03-18-2010, 01:07 AM
Every boss I've fought so far hasn't had much of a place in the story. Like in chapter 5, a giant Bulbasaur monster falls out of nowhere. That seems to be how most of them end up, anyway.

Madame Adequate
03-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Until the difficulty ramps up later on, the game is almost a spiritual successor to Alien Soldier, in that all the regular enemies are pretty irrelevent obstacles and it's the boss fights that are the big deal.

The boss fights are pretty great and definitely add to the game.

Jings
03-18-2010, 01:25 AM
Some of the boss battles can be a little too time consuming I think. If I die towards the end of a long boss fight you can bet I'll be turning the game off for a while. I just don't have the patience to go through it all again so soon. That's just me though, I'm sure others relish the challenge of a long boss fight.

Suikojowy
03-18-2010, 04:04 AM
Not a fan of the game but the boss battles are still pretty cool, they drag on a little too much sometimes but it's forgivable.

cloud21zidane16
03-18-2010, 04:07 AM
Im actually quite pleased with the difficulty and strategy needed to beat the bosses. Would be nice if there were more related to the plot but Im still only at chapter 8. I do agree some of them are slightly to long though.

Crowseye
03-18-2010, 04:55 AM
I'm in Chapter 9 and the bosses so far have been pretty generic (aside form Anima who didn't get much development anyway because it appeared early in the game). They've been primarily either non-descript military machinery or some non-story related lifeform they stuck at the end of the map.

By chapter five they get a bit of a challenge because it's unlikely you'll have full grasp of the Paradigm system yet, but once you work out a Paradigm system/rotation that works for you, they end up being more or less the same.

Other than being long, they're ultimately not tremendously difficult. I've had a much harder time on a few non-boss fights without getting a Preemptive Strike (Falco Velocycle + 2 x PSICOM Aerial Snipers in Palumporum comes to mind).

Aruu
03-18-2010, 11:27 AM
I've had a much harder time on a few non-boss fights without getting a Preemptive Strike (Falco Velocycle + 2 x PSICOM Aerial Snipers in Palumporum comes to mind).

The amount of times I died on that battle... extremely hard! Stupid slow Snow..

Like others have said, the boss battles are pretty engaging, you have to pay attention to what you're doing, and sometimes it might take a death or two to figure out a strategy. I agree that some of them go on for far too long, and it's got to be nothing short of frustrating if you die just before the end (I haven't been there yet but... )

Rye
03-18-2010, 12:30 PM
I think they're great.

Madame Adequate
03-18-2010, 12:53 PM
I think they're great.

I am shocked that you did not complain about the Velocycles :p

Ontibile
03-18-2010, 04:44 PM
The Velocycles are evil.

Shoeberto
03-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Fuck velocycles. Took me way too long to figure out the best strat for them, and even then they're still a pain in my ass.

finaloblivion
03-20-2010, 09:59 PM
so far the boss battles have required a bit of time and even more strategy, and i have fun fighting em. but yea just made it through palumpolum and honestly some of the random battles in that area gave me a harder time than some of the boss battles. like stated above...the two aerial snipers and the velocycle were extremely difficult and required some degree of luck combined with strategy to make it through. velocycles are bleedin evil and should b sent to the inferno!

eestlinc
03-21-2010, 06:49 AM
for the velocycles I just make snow a sentinel until right after the gatling gun attack, and then switch to commando. alternate hope between ravager and medic as needed.

VeloZer0
03-21-2010, 07:30 AM
If your fast you can just switch right when the dialog box pops up. It takes a good 5-10 sec to fire.

Psychotic
03-21-2010, 02:28 PM
As far as velocycles go, you just wait 'til Chapter 13. The ones in that chapter are an utter fucking nightmare!
Every boss I've fought so far hasn't had much of a place in the story. Like in chapter 5, a giant Bulbasaur monster falls out of nowhere. That seems to be how most of them end up, anyway.To be fair, that's how most bosses in FF are. There's the odd story boss, sure, but usually it's just some random big bad who has no relevance to anything.

Lightening
03-21-2010, 07:51 PM
the regular battles in this game is often giving me more problems than boss battles. especially when a bunch of quick monsters horde up on your leader.

Laddy
03-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Is it just me or is velocycle the dumbest word ever?

Bikecycle. Dumb as hell.

VeloZer0
03-22-2010, 04:47 PM
The 'mass market' of America doesn't know much French methinks.
Back when I was trying to think up four letter names for my characters in FFI Velo was just a made up word to me. (Yes, my name has nothing to do with French cycling)