PDA

View Full Version : Games that actually make you feel for the characters...

*Laurelindo*
03-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Don't misunderstand me now, I definitely think video games are wonderful in almost every aspect, and I've played tons of games that touch my heart with their beautiful storylines, music etc - but I almost never feel that I actually personally care for the characters.
I do think characters like Link, Mega Man and Chrono are great, but I never get a real chance to sympathize with them, because honestly they don't have much of a personality.
The game that has come closest to this (and managed very well, I must say) is Ico - I can't put it into words very clearly, but in that game I really felt like I was helping a friend; that's the kind of connection I'm always looking for in a game.
Another game that pulled this off very well was Final Fantasy 9 - except for Quina and Amarant (who were basically the funny guy and the tough guy) I felt a very close connection with all the characters (especially Zidane and Vivi!), and Squall and Rinoa in FF8 also had their moments; but except for these games (who should set an example for other games to come) it is highly unusual to actually feel anything for a video game character.

I seriously think that game developers should think of character development as more of a sort of hobby, and not just something that "takes up time during development".
If they do their best to create characters for their own sake during their free time (which really isn't that hard, they can come up with character ideas in their head during a tedious train trip or something), without any commercial interests, they can use those characters later if they feel like it, when they have got an own feel for the characters and made them "alive", with short background stories and so on.

Raistlin
03-17-2010, 05:14 PM
The two games which make me feel the most for the characters are Lunar: SSSC and Suikoden II. For the former, every character in the party had a very compelling back story. For the latter, there were a few excellent characters (especially Jowy) that really made me empathize with them. The only FF that comes close to those is FFT, with Ramza and Delita being very realistic characters.

Pheesh
03-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Kingdom Hearts I and II. Probably more so I, but there were moments in II ("looks like my summer vacation is over") that also made me emotional.

Rad Bromance
03-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy XIII and Suikoden II do a pretty good job of this with me.

bipper
03-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Games that actually make you feel for the characters... Marco Polo?

Bolivar
03-18-2010, 12:39 AM
Heavy Rain, close thread.

ANGRYWOLF
03-18-2010, 12:47 AM
:p

FFVII and FFX and X-2, Baldur's Gate 2, Suikoden, Breathe of Fire, Ogre Battle.

:)

~*~Celes~*~
03-18-2010, 01:13 AM
I can already tell I'm going to be ridiculed for this :greenie:... but when I played through FF X-2 for the first time and got to the 1000 Words concert, I cried. :cry:

VeloZer0
03-18-2010, 01:57 AM
I tend to run against the grain on characterization issues. For me having characters too well developed actually tends to make me identify/sympathize with them less that a medium level of development. When they throw a whole lot of effort into character (fresh on my mind is FFXIII) I tend to draw away from them. This is most likely because I tend to not like people in general.

In sprite and crude polygon based RPGs no matter how hard they tried to nail character there was always a significant amount left up to the imagination. I'm guessing the reason I could become so much more attached to these characters (which for me is the equivalent of not being repelled) is that I somewhat filled in the blanks with something that appealed to me. FFT is an extremely unique case where I can't think of a single character I didn't like. If they had huge long exposition dialog like is the standard nowadays I would probably have found something to dislike about all of them.

It was interesting that you brought up Mega Man because that is one series where I have become extremely attached to the characters, despite the fact that they have extremely little dialog. A sort of personality formed based on the little lines I had, their sprites/animations and what I wanted them to be. Sonic was also sort of like that, until they ruined the series post S&K3.

MJN SEIFER
03-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Most Final Fantasys I've played. Mostly FFVII and FFVIII - I'll have a think of some non-FF games if I can.

qwertysaur
03-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Portal.

Slothy
03-18-2010, 02:46 PM

Pretty much.

Jiro
03-18-2010, 02:46 PM
I can already tell I'm going to be ridiculed for this :greenie:... but when I played through FF X-2 for the first time and got to the 1000 Words concert, I cried. :cry:

Kingdom Hearts I and II. Probably more so I, but there were moments in II ("looks like my summer vacation is over") that also made me emotional.

These.

Meat Puppet
03-18-2010, 03:04 PM
grand theft auto

Dreddz
03-18-2010, 03:08 PM

Lawr
03-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Don't misunderstand me now...beautiful storylines...Squall and Rinoa in FF8

You told me not to misunderstand but I DON'T UNDERSTAND. :confused:

When it comes to Final Fantasy I don't think any of them come close to Final Fantasy Tactics. Tactics Advance too, maybe. I haven't played the third one though.

Madame Adequate
03-18-2010, 03:43 PM
I strongly empathise with Yam Koo. :nibbles:

bipper
03-18-2010, 04:56 PM
I tend to run against the grain on characterization issues. For me having characters too well developed actually tends to make me identify/sympathize with them less that a medium level of development. When they throw a whole lot of effort into character (fresh on my mind is FFXIII) I tend to draw away from them. This is most likely because I tend to not like people in general.

In sprite and crude polygon based RPGs no matter how hard they tried to nail character there was always a significant amount left up to the imagination. I'm guessing the reason I could become so much more attached to these characters (which for me is the equivalent of not being repelled) is that I somewhat filled in the blanks with something that appealed to me. FFT is an extremely unique case where I can't think of a single character I didn't like. If they had huge long exposition dialog like is the standard nowadays I would probably have found something to dislike about all of them.

It was interesting that you brought up Mega Man because that is one series where I have become extremely attached to the characters, despite the fact that they have extremely little dialog. A sort of personality formed based on the little lines I had, their sprites/animations and what I wanted them to be. Sonic was also sort of like that, until they ruined the series post S&K3.

I very strongly do agree with this. All of it.

Yeargdribble
03-18-2010, 04:58 PM
I dunno. I've empathized with tons of video game characters over the years. I'm able to suspend disbelief enough to really feel for the characters no different than if I were reading a book or watching a movie.

I recently started Heavy Rain and the most striking bit for me so far has been...

...Ethan, in his apartment with Shaun. If you're gaming just for the action then this would probably be frustrating for you. But thinking of what he had... what he's lost... and where he is now. His surroundings, the way Shaun seems relatively disconnected, the way time passes so wastefully when he obviously only has precious little of it to spend with his son... man this just tears at me inside.

And that's as far as I've gotten, but despite the awkward voice acting and stiff dialogue at point, this game has really done a lot to make you feel for the characters and if you're not then you're just not allowing yourself to be open to that.

Beyond this, I've had major moments in most FF games. Times Yuna, Tidus and even Wakka in FFX. Seriously, for Wakka how hard is it to see the faith you believe so strongly in be shown for what garbage it truly is?

Vivi in FFIX. How would it make you feel to realize that not only are you a failed creation, but you're meant to be nothing special. You're meant to be disposable.

FFVII, Red XIII among so many other major points.

FFVI... Oh lord... where do I start.

etc. etc.

bipper
03-18-2010, 05:31 PM
I understand your point to Yearg, and I have felt for characters over the years - however, there has yet to be the amazing 'blow me off my feet' character. You named a few of my favorites, actually. They were just not ... organic enough. That is such a horrible term.

I also have a developed intuition and have a hard time turning it off. When I get over myself, I can get into games quite easily.

FFVI... was immaculate - my favorite - but I could still see room for quite a bit of improvement.

Merk
03-18-2010, 06:31 PM

Thank you for this, I got a good laugh out of it.

Pheesh
03-18-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm going to add God of War 3, just finished it and I felt like I was living that entire journey with Kratos. Especially towards the end.

Rase
03-18-2010, 08:01 PM
No love for Shadow of the Colossus yet? I felt for Wander the whole game, fighting for this woman even though he likely realizes the cost. Taking down not one but sixteen massive colossi across a great land just to see his love alive again. Finally, (apparently) losing his horse Argo, who has been with him this whole time, when it saves him from falling to his death. Nothing quite like it for me yet.

Jings
03-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Baldur's Gate 2 did a wonderful job of making you care about the characters I think. Everyone that joins your party has a well developed personality and they interact with one another in entertaining and sometimes moving ways. Fostering friendships and romantic relationships adds to the connection you feel with them and you really feel that they're not just there to hold a sword and carry your stuff, they're your character's friends and acquaintances and it really comes through in the game.

Putting certain character's with conflicting personalities and alignments in a party together also leads to conflict. The evil Dwarf and the goodly Elf obviously won't see eye to eye and the game makes sure to bring their differences to the surface and eventually force you to choose who you want to keep. This sort of thing has become a staple of BioWare's games but I think BG2 has the best examples of well developed characters that you actually care for.

MJN SEIFER
03-18-2010, 10:14 PM

I understand. Squall and Rinoa's storylines where some of the most beutiful video game moments - I really identified with them, and they are my favorite paring in FF games, as well as one of my favorite parings in general. I still get emotional during the Eyes On Me scene, I still "aww" at all the Squall Rinoa moments, It was my favorite part of one of my favorite games.

Lawr
03-18-2010, 10:35 PM

I understand. Squall and Rinoa's storylines where some of the most beutiful video game moments - I really identified with them, and they are my favorite paring in FF games, as well as one of my favorite parings in general. I still get emotional during the Eyes On Me scene, I still "aww" at all the Squall Rinoa moments, It was my favorite part of one of my favorite games.

It's not that great of a love story if you ask me.
It starts off alright but it's mainly just Rinoa being annoying (to everyone) and Squall being...silent. Then on disc 3 at the spur of the moment he falls madly in love with her unconscious body. There were some emotional scenes but Square did much better about four Final Fantasies ago. FFIV's love story was awesome, even its love triangle was better than VIII's.

Polnareff
03-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Phoenix Wright.
Breath of Fire (specifically the third)
Megaman Legends.

Those are the top three of characterization for me. Kinda funny all of them all Capcom titles.

Yeargdribble
03-18-2010, 11:43 PM
I think Squall's part in FFVIII was great. He wasn't a super dynamic character, but he certain grew, changed, became more open and more introspective as the game went on. That made me really enjoy him as a character.

MJN SEIFER
03-18-2010, 11:44 PM
It's not that great of a love story if you ask me.
It starts off alright but it's mainly just Rinoa being annoying (to everyone) and Squall being...silent. Then on disc 3 at the spur of the moment he falls madly in love with her unconscious body. There were some emotional scenes but Square did much better about four Final Fantasies ago. FFIV love story was awesome, even its love triangle was better than VIII's.

Well, the key differences are that I liked the characters, and you seemingly didn't - so you may not take what I say seriously, but please, hear me out.

Firstly, I didn't find Rinoa annoying - she's one of my favorite characters in FF. I also noticed the chemistry in the relationship between her and Squall early on in the game, even when they are having their (deliberately) childish fights, which is a given sign in fiction (and real life in some cases). And yes, Squall was "silent", but that was because of his background - he'd been let down so many times in life he had given up expecting anything was going to get better.

It may seam like I'm starving for attention here, but I am just trying to help you understand my point - I actually went through a "Squall" like phase when I was younger (before I played FFVIII) - my life wasn't anywhere near as bad as Squall's, but a lot of things were happening, friends were leaving I was just not very good at making friends - I identified with Squall because of this, I have said this before, but he is my favorite FF character.

Squall is "silent", but we know from his thoughts that he does want to be more open, deep down there are many scenes that without these insights that would make Squall seam a much more uncaring person than he actually is.

Squall doesn't just "suddenly" fall in love with Rinoa - it happens gradually, like most Medias with a storyline FFVIII doesn't have a set timeline, so we don't know how much time has past between their first meeting, and time he acts more caring. Further more, he didn't begin to love her when he was in a coma either - it had been developing through out the game. There is definitely passion during the dance scene, He seams generally concerned for her safety when the Igniouns(sp?) have her cornered, just before the battle starts (even though, to me, they really don't look like they are make that much of an attempt to attack her - infact they look somewhat playful :jess:) After the battle Squall is initially shocked by Rinoa's reaction - he says it's because he assumed she was "used to battles", but I think it's because he isn't used to people displaying emotion in front of him. No one, not even Quistis (who is revealed to have had a crush of sorts on Squall in the past) has shown this much in front of him. His demeanor then changes, he reassures Rinoa, that everything is ok and basically tells her to "stay close to [him]" There is a touching moment in the battle coming up where Rinoa states that she's alright if Squall is by her side - After that battle Squall is almost killed, and Rinoa reacts more directly and personally than anyone else (admittedly the only other people present are Irvine, Seifer and Edea, and none of them are going to react!) If you look at Squall during that scene - he seams to be more focused on Rinoa that anyone, or anything happening in that scene.

In disc two - there are some optional scenes of them together. Squall is still learning how to act around people, but the two of them seem to have neutral understanding of how each other are now, Rinoa makes comments on how Squall is "expected" to act a certain way. When there is a ceremony for Squall becoming the leader there is a very romantic scene between him and Rinoa - we see how close they are now becoming, and once again Squall's thoughts are there to help us understand that Squall has the potential to change and Rinoa is helping him do just that. She seams to be pushing him to talk about something, just to see if he will open up, he of course doesn't, but his thoughts show us, that he is simply scared that if he does then it will all be for nothing - nobody stays around Squall. He's not the kind of person to be loved, but why would he care so much about some one, he supposedly doesn't care about?

I also think the infamous orphanage scene (which, I absolutely loved, but I have a whole article in writing as to why) was semi instrumental in getting Squall to open up more, he has time to think about this even in game time, he had lost so much more than he ever realized, and now sees that every one (sans Rinoa) went through a similar time as him when he was younger, I think he felt a bit more assured then. I also think it gave him more strength to open up with Rinoa.

Then the coma does take place - I didn't find his actions a change in character, I saw it coming. I really thought that Squall was falling in love with Rinoa as far back as disc 1 although I think that might have been more "I find her interesting" type of love, at first, but as time went by (remember we don't know the exact timeline) they got closer, and his love for her developed, he just needed to accept that he felt something for her, and get over his fears of losing someone again. You basically have to read between the lines sometimes - this is a shortened version on why I found Squall and Rinoa such a compelling couple, I may right a full article on it one day (it will take a while, so don't expect it to be instant - I do so many projects at once).

Thanks for reading this, I'm sorry if it was long, but it needed to be.

LunarWeaver
03-19-2010, 12:22 AM
I wish there were a Twilight game so there could be trolls and arguments and stuff. Life ain't what it used to be.

Alucard von Elru
03-19-2010, 03:36 AM
The cast of Uncharted 2 is one of the best out there, and I cared about everyone (well, except the "big bad", but eh). If you don't feel for Nate in the first two minutes, just shut the game off, it's lost on you. :P

Final Fantasy X always resonated strongly with me, and in FFXIII I absolutely love Snow, but my favorite character in the whole series is FFXII's Basch. "If I could spare but one person from war's horror, I would bear any shame. I would bear it proudly." Whereas most characters in the series are varying shades of selfish (which always makes for interesting character clashes), Basch struck me as being the most selfless. He was kind, strong, and willing to do what was right no matter the cost on himself.

I'm tired, so I'm going to let this degrade into a list of other games that had characters that strongly affected me:

--Okami
--Ico
--Shadow of the Colossus
--Vagrant Story
--Beyond Good & Evil
--Psychonauts
--The Legacy of Kain Series
--Suikoden II
--Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
--Digital Devil Saga (1 and 2)
--Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Rad Bromance
03-19-2010, 04:02 AM
I cried aloud with mirth and merriment! :love:

Shattered Dreamer
03-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Where to begin!

Final Fantasy VIII - Squall & Rinoa. I replayed FFVIII to a finish several months ago & I found myself totally engrossed in the development of their relationship. The "Eyes on Me" scene & the ending go down as some of my favorite in any game I have ever played!

Final Fantasy IX - Vivi. God do I ever love this little guy & his journey to find himself through the game. I mean aren't we all searching for our place in the world?

Final Fantasy X & X-2 - Yuna. I have to say I felt connected with Yuna's character throughout both games. Her plight as a Summoner being destined to die to save the world & falling in love with someone & knowing they can never be with you. Powerful stuff!

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Naked Snake/Big Boss. The emotional roller coaster Naked Snake endures in MGS3 is nothing short of epic! Seemingly betrayed by his mentor The Boss at the end of Virtuous Mission, then being sent to kill her, killing her & finding out her true motives. The ending scene where he sheds a tear at her grave site, the first time I saw it I can honestly say I was close to tears myself!

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots - Old Snake. Snake is to me an iconic fictional character but its his journey in MGS4 where my heart really goes out to him. The rapid aging, Meryl moving on with her life, FOXDIE, finding the mother you never knew you had, losing her getting burned in the process, seeing Shadow Moses again, watching Raiden get crushed, crawling through the microwave corridor, the final battle with Liquid, seeing Big Boss again & finally know the truth about the Patriots. Just epic!

Laddy
03-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Portal-God the cube! THE COMPANION CUBE! <3

Persona II, III, and IV-The characters are "regular" people for the most parts, and as you struggle and build relationships with them, you feel for them.

Heavy Rain-Watching Ethan cut of his own finger is very hard to watch, especially since (I played him as) a very nice guy.

Baldur's Gate II-Building up a romantic relationship with a character only to kill him/her is one if the hardest things ever.

Final Fantasy VI, IX, and XIII-These characters are truly great, making them some of my favorites in the series.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
03-22-2010, 12:10 AM
I'm probably the only one who feels this way but I developed an emotional connection with Bastila Shan when I began playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. At first I felt a little sad when she insulted me in the beginning, but as time went on I found myself laughing at her irked demeanour. She would get so angry and embarrassed when I flirted with her. Bastila eventually apologized for her childish behavior but that didn't stop me from teasing her. I decided to let her know that her temper-tantrums made life difficult for me and that it was too little too late for an apology. The dialogue that ensued next is my favorite throughout the entire video game.

"I see. Is there nothing I could do to make it up to you? I rather we were friends..."

"Oh? Just how close a friend would you like to be?"

"I...You know I can't feel that way about you. About any man. It isn't permitted. I am a Jedi. I must resist these temptations."

"But I still want to consider you a friend. We could never be anything more though that isn't...that isn't allowed."

"I'd like that I suppose."

Lightening
03-22-2010, 04:40 AM
outside FF I haven't played many games where the characters aren't just puppets that gets me from point A to point B. The only one that springs to mind is Heavy Rain

Jiro
03-22-2010, 04:51 AM
I wish there were a Twilight game so there could be trolls and arguments and stuff. Life ain't what it used to be.

Be careful what you wish for (http://www.kidglue.com/2009/07/28/twilight-mmorpg-in-the-works/)

Laddy
03-22-2010, 05:38 AM

Be careful what you wish for (http://www.kidglue.com/2009/07/28/twilight-mmorpg-in-the-works/)
Oh GAWD. And I thought the WoWtards were bad.