PDA

View Full Version : Am I really the only one...(Spoilers at the end of disc 1)

MJN SEIFER
03-18-2010, 10:32 PM
That found/still finds Aeris' death a very sad and emotional moment in the game. When I first played this game, I had no idea it was going to happen, and I found her character really likeable - I identifyed (through empathy) with her character, and found her background interesting - I just "got to know her" the same way I "get to know" characters. I actually cried when she died (I am emotional, I cry at sad scenes in films, and TV - and games if the scene works, and here it did.

However, when I ever I look at the FFVII forum here, I see that people don't seem to care. I realize it's just a game, but it's a game with a storyline, and while I don't expect EVERYBODY to cry, I am suprised that they felt nothing. People think that because it's an old game they can spoil it for people who haven't played -The log out page shows a joke version of her death.

Why did no one else care when Aeris died? Was it the "just a game" thing? I find that a stupid reason, because if Square didn't want you to feel anything, they wouldn't have bothered putting a sad scene in the game. Is it because you knew it was coming? If that's the case, why do YOU feel it's necesersary to ruin the moment for new players because apparently you "allow" yourselves to spoil things that are of a certain age?

Or is it just because FFVII is an "Overated Game"?

MrSchpagge
03-18-2010, 11:05 PM
My first time through the scene where Aeris died seemed pretty unreal; I kept thinking she would get up and everything would be fine. I'll admit that it was an emotional moment, the first time, but now that I know what's coming it's just another scene that I have to watch to continue playing.

I will say one thing though, she has the COOLEST limit breaks of all the other characters.

Raistlin
03-18-2010, 11:20 PM
It is certainly an emotional scene. I was saddened my first time through, despite not caring for Aerith's character... and if anything my dislike of Aerith has grown since then. Now it's not so sad for me. :p

Depression Moon
03-18-2010, 11:26 PM
It was ruined by me because when I joined here many years ago. Someone spoiled it, be showing the scene in their sig.

FFIX Choco Boy
03-19-2010, 12:52 AM
The first time I watched it, I was all "WTF?" but every time after that, I'm there with a coke and popcorn, cheering Sephy on. Actually, I always keep a save right before the scene to watch it over and over again when I get in a good mood.

seiferalmasy2
03-19-2010, 01:07 AM
Aerith's death was v well done and dramatic, and that is why it ranks up there as one of the most memorable moments in game history.

Final Fantasy X's ending was also brilliantly done.

TheAbominatrix
03-19-2010, 05:18 AM
I felt stunned the first time I saw Aeris die. It was so intense, Sephiroth falling from the air and impaling her, I couldn't help but gape. But stun quickly turned to amusement, because from the start I couldn't stand Aeris' character.

Had it been a character I had liked, I probably would have cried, or teared up, or whatever. I have been moved to tears by Final Fantasy games before, just not this particular scene. I was too happy to have Aeris gone for good and not annoying me and forcing her way into my party.

line_genrou
03-20-2010, 02:17 AM
I already knew she was going to die,so it was not a surprise.
But I felt sad because I liked her,nothing depressing,I just kept playing.

P4ine
03-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Well, for me it was different. Before I played the game I had been spoiled that she would die. But not when, only that it would happen, so I expected -as the usual case would be- it to happen in the end.

So when I reached the first CD's ending, I was pretty shocked and emotionally saddened. I really liked her as a person, I got mad at Cloud for only standing there and watching and so on.

So I pretty much agree with you, I get touched when there's an emotional scene.
However, there are members who hate Aerith. I don't, but I hate Yuffie, for example. If she had died, I would have laughed. Definitely.

PeneloRatsbane
03-20-2010, 01:29 PM
I cry everytime, I don't like Death especially when it happens to young, good people who don't know its coming

BarelySeeAtAll
03-20-2010, 02:49 PM
....I laughed. :bigsmile:

*Laurelindo*
03-20-2010, 08:20 PM
I was really slow the first time I saw it, because I was just sitting there waiting for the epic moment when Aeris would get up again and complain about the horrible wound, so the death part didn't really get to me until she sank into the lake, and even then I assumed you were supposed to revive her or something. :p
"This sucks, Life 2 won't work here, so now we need to find the Secret Spell Life 4 and revive her."

But I do feel really touched by the music that plays during the scene.

leader of mortals
03-20-2010, 09:11 PM
When I was young, I didn't really follow the story too well, I just played through the games for gameplay only, and I hated Aeris more than anything because her regular attack was so weak, and I never really like to use MP. When I was older and I knew what was going on in the story, I already knew Aeris was going to die, from my earlier playthroughs, so it didn't affect me.

black orb
03-20-2010, 09:21 PM
The first time I watched it, I was all "WTF?"
>>> Same here, after the years and many FF7 game replays I have learnt to like Aeris a lot more.. Now I can understand why people get sad when Aeris dies..:luca:

*Laurelindo*
03-21-2010, 03:17 PM
There's a certain hopeless power in the way Cloud says "Come on, let's go find Aeris..." as well, because you know what's gonna happen soon after that. :eek:

Mirage
03-21-2010, 03:26 PM
It got to me because I was young and really impressable.

In hindsight I can see that Aeris was actually a pretty unrealistic character and that makes me not really care.

leader of mortals
03-21-2010, 05:38 PM

In hindsight I can see that Aeris was actually a pretty unrealistic character and that makes me not really care.

Unrealistic!? Come on, everyone in the world is perfectly nice and innocent!

ANGRYWOLF
03-21-2010, 05:54 PM
and yes I wanted revenge against Sephiroth.

Omnislash and he never had a chance.:D

Omni-Odin
03-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Is it weird that it's the saddest/greatest scene I ever saw? The first time I played it I was blown away. And then Cloud's speech just after, finally letting out all the emotion we didn't see in all the 1st disc. The "She'll never laugh, never cry, never feel" speech. Ya I was like: "Oh Sephie...I'm gonna kill the fuck out of you, buddy."

BarelySeeAtAll
03-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Upon thinking about this. . .I think it would have had more impact if - no this isn't saying they should remake it, nor that it was at all possible then - they had used voice actors :D though of course the whole game would..but still; Aerith's dying scream?

The point Omni-Odin made about Cloud's speech afterwards also made me think this. I mean; I read the words on screen and - call me cold and heartless - but it didn't really stir me. If it'd been Stevey-boy who'd spoken it, I would probably have been all :( about it.

But, at the same time, I would be more likely to feel sorry for Cloud than Aerith. Yes, I feel that way now. Yes, I'm a Cloud fangirl.

MJN SEIFER
03-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Please forgive me for not replying to everyone - I simply couldn't think of anything to say.

My first time through the scene where Aeris died seemed pretty unreal; I kept thinking she would get up and everything would be fine. I'll admit that it was an emotional moment, the first time, but now that I know what's coming it's just another scene that I have to watch to continue playing.

That's fair enough. Some people are only effected the first time. It all depends on the person.

I will say one thing though, she has the COOLEST limit breaks of all the other characters.

Agreed, I've noticed something about them.

Aerith's death was v well done and dramatic, and that is why it ranks up there as one of the most memorable moments in game history.

Final Fantasy X's ending was also brilliantly done.

I agree with this one. I thought it was very well handled, I rate it up there as well. Yes, X's ending also had emotion for me.

I felt stunned the first time I saw Aeris die. It was so intense, Sephiroth falling from the air and impaling her, I couldn't help but gape. But stun quickly turned to amusement, because from the start I couldn't stand Aeris' character.

Had it been a character I had liked, I probably would have cried, or teared up, or whatever. I have been moved to tears by Final Fantasy games before, just not this particular scene. I was too happy to have Aeris gone for good and not annoying me and forcing her way into my party.

Again fair enough, but I of course liked Aeris, but then I think even if I didn't like I would have still felt something, because that scene was just so emotional. Also, how the hell did Aeris "force her way" into the party? I accept that you don't like her, but I would like you to explain this. She was taken home, then captured then saved, by then she is friends with the rest of the party - how did she force her way in?

Well, for me it was different. Before I played the game I had been spoiled that she would die. But not when, only that it would happen, so I expected -as the usual case would be- it to happen in the end.

So when I reached the first CD's ending, I was pretty shocked and emotionally saddened. I really liked her as a person, I got mad at Cloud for only standing there and watching and so on.

So I pretty much agree with you, I get touched when there's an emotional scene.
However, there are members who hate Aerith. I don't, but I hate Yuffie, for example. If she had died, I would have laughed. Definitely.

Good way of someing it up, I didn't have it spoiled though, and there's no FFVII character I actually hated.

I cry everytime, I don't like Death especially when it happens to young, good people who don't know its coming

Same here. Didn't Aeris know it was coming though?

Well, she is the sole survivor of a non-existant race, is that what you mean by "unrealistic"? if not please explain.

Is it weird that it's the saddest/greatest scene I ever saw? The first time I played it I was blown away. And then Cloud's speech just after, finally letting out all the emotion we didn't see in all the 1st disc. The "She'll never laugh, never cry, never feel" speech. Ya I was like: "Oh Sephie...I'm gonna kill the smurf out of you, buddy."

It's not weird at all - I think I felt the exact same thing the whole scene was well "acted" for want of a better word. I also loved how the Aeris' Theme playing throughout the whole thing - despite being a character theme, this is only the second time you hear it.

Upon thinking about this. . .I think it would have had more impact if - no this isn't saying they should remake it, nor that it was at all possible then - they had used voice actors :D though of course the whole game would..but still; Aerith's dying scream?

The point Omni-Odin made about Cloud's speech afterwards also made me think this. I mean; I read the words on screen and - call me cold and heartless - but it didn't really stir me. If it'd been Stevey-boy who'd spoken it, I would probably have been all :( about it.

But, at the same time, I would be more likely to feel sorry for Cloud than Aerith. Yes, I feel that way now. Yes, I'm a Cloud fangirl.

Hmmm... This where you and I are different. When I read something, I feel it. I can see the emotion there, and I could "hear" the whole scene as I read it.

Strangley, I felt that the inclusion of voices in FF games, actually took away some of the emotion - I don't know why, but it just "flattened" the characters for me...

P4ine
03-23-2010, 02:39 PM
COMBO
+ 8

Long post is long.

However, I think it's only human to hate some of the FF characters.. Or maybe THE reason I actually like the game, how boring would it be if I always liked the characters?

FFIX Choco Boy
03-24-2010, 12:08 AM
COMBO
+ 8

Long post is long.

However, I think it's only human to hate some of the FF characters.. Or maybe THE reason I actually like the game, how boring would it be if I always liked the characters?

True. I mean really, FF1 would be nowhere near as fun if I didn't hate the king and Princess Serah.

Aerith's Knight
03-24-2010, 12:27 AM
COMBO
+ 8

Long post is long.

True. I mean really, FF1 would be nowhere near as fun if I didn't hate the king and Princess Serah.

Perhaps that's because after you went all the trouble of saving them from the boss, they give you a Lute! Not a magic sword, no, a lute! I'd rather have the cash.

TheAbominatrix
03-24-2010, 08:32 AM

Again fair enough, but I of course liked Aeris, but then I think even if I didn't like I would have still felt something, because that scene was just so emotional. Also, how the hell did Aeris "force her way" into the party? I accept that you don't like her, but I would like you to explain this. She was taken home, then captured then saved, by then she is friends with the rest of the party - how did she force her way in?

No, I mean at the parts of the game when you're forced to have her in your party. I never liked using her, partially because I disliked her character and also because I didn't like using her in battle, so when the game made me use her character I hated it. Thus her death meant she wouldn't be mandatory ever again.

MJN SEIFER
03-24-2010, 11:58 PM

No, I mean at the parts of the game when you're forced to have her in your party. I never liked using her, partially because I disliked her character and also because I didn't like using her in battle, so when the game made me use her character I hated it. Thus her death meant she wouldn't be mandatory ever again.

Right, I get it now.