PDA

View Full Version : Black Wizard Comparison

RedPouch
03-19-2010, 10:46 AM
This is actually the first topic I've ever made here. Anyways as the title implies, I want to know how many prefer the NES version of the Black Wizard in comparison to future versions.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8821/blackwizardnes.jpg http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/5670/blackwizardswanson.jpg

Please note, I'm not asking you which one looks more graphically detailed or pleasing. Obviously, the newer versions are graphically more advanced. Instead, I'm specifically asking which one had a better sprite in concept. I have to say that I prefer the NES version of the Black Wizard. I'm well aware that the newer version is actually consistent with their signature look and design of a Black Mage/Wizard, however I have to admit that I never really liked it to begin with. It looks kind of like a little alien to me [It doesn't matter if it's still a human under there. It could actually be a pink elephant under there, but it still looks like a creepy little thing on the outside]. I prefer the more human-looking wizard.

Anyways, vote away!

Flying Mullet
03-19-2010, 01:32 PM
I always enjoyed the NES version more as well. I imagine the shy, timid Black Mage hiding in his robe under his hat. After the class change, he turns into a bad-ass, fearless Black Wizard who loses the hat, throws back his hood with confidence and is ready to take on the world.

VeloZer0
03-19-2010, 02:37 PM
The head/hair of the original Black Wizard sprite makes him look like some sort of jacked up 80s action star, or sports jock. I never found that fitting for a mage to have.
Though I love the original sprites I can't say I really like any of the post class change ones.

Rantz
03-19-2010, 10:54 PM
I do like the concept that Mullet described but that hair is just too terrible and non-magey that I can't look past it. If he'd had more Gandalfish hair I would have preferred the original.

RedPouch
03-19-2010, 11:49 PM
I do like the concept that Mullet described but that hair is just too terrible and non-magey that I can't look past it. If he'd had more Gandalfish hair I would have preferred the original.
This is actually a major reason why I liked the original Black Wizard. I'm sick of Wizards being limited to the stereotype of young, slutty girls, or ugly, decrepit old men with long "Gandalfish" hair. He looks very "magey" to begin with because of his robes. His hair looks like it'd be pretty badass if it were to be redone with modern graphics, even in terms of being limited to sprites.

On a side-note, I'm surprised to see fellow appreciators of the NES Black Wizard. :love:

Raistlin
03-20-2010, 12:25 AM
I always enjoyed the NES version more as well. I imagine the shy, timid Black Mage hiding in his robe under his hat. After the class change, he turns into a bad-ass, fearless Black Wizard who loses the hat, throws back his hood with confidence and is ready to take on the world.

I agree. Well, not as much about the "shy, timid" black mage, but about the more badass Black Wizard part.

Black mages are still rockin', though. http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/raistyk/blackmagedance.gif

Jiro
03-22-2010, 05:12 AM
The middle sprite makes me lean towards the old version. I mean, look how he is casting that spell. Badass.

Bastian
03-22-2010, 06:29 AM
Don't hate me! I chose the newer ones.

But that's ONLY because I'm pretty sure Square stole the design from Orko (Masters of the Universe) to which I was addicted when I was a kid.

Tokimadoushi
06-04-2010, 07:32 AM
The middle sprite makes me lean towards the old version. I mean, look how he is casting that spell. Badass.

HADOUKEN!!!

Old version.

theundeadhero
06-04-2010, 02:26 PM
I prefer the NES sprite. As a mage he's still the stereotypical Square black magic caster. Then he looks tougher after the class change because after adventuring around the world how could he not get tougher. I like his hair too.

black orb
06-10-2010, 10:53 PM
>>> I like both but the NES version is my fav..:luca:

Beowulf
06-11-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm more drawn to the newer version of the sprites than the older ones. I mean, don't get me wrong, I liked the old versions and all, but I like the newer ones a little bit more.

Wolf Kanno
06-29-2010, 08:37 PM
I prefer the new version but its because I actually really love the design of the signature FF Black Mage, he has this "badass Orko" thing going for him. The NES sprite looks too generic for my taste and beyond wearing a blue robe and sporting a "Flock of Seagulls" haircut, nothing about his design is appealing, he basically went from original looking design to generic D&D wizard. I'm quite happy they decided to keep that awesome hat and the mystery of his face concealed.

Hot Shot
06-29-2010, 10:39 PM
I've always liked to new BW cos actually seeing a BM/BW face just seems odd to me.

Goldenboko
06-30-2010, 03:23 AM
NES. I mean come on: KAMEHAMEHA!

Saber
06-30-2010, 03:45 AM
I like the old NES better cause it was different then the rest of the series. I don't like it when every black mage looks like Vivi.

VeloZer0
06-30-2010, 04:25 AM
Vivi looks like every other black mage, not the other way around. Sorry, I know it's petty but I can't let it go.

qwertysaur
06-30-2010, 02:57 PM
I prefer the newer one because he has a hat :p