PDA

View Full Version : Would You Like a Receipt?

oddler
03-22-2010, 08:05 AM
When you buy things, do you ask for a receipt? Do you take a receipt when asked to do so? Have you ever had an experience where keeping a receipt paid off?! Please, tell me stories about receipts. :)

Pheesh
03-22-2010, 08:11 AM
I usually just get whoever served me to shove the receipt in the bag and then never look at it again. There's always been times when I've returned items and had to use the receipt... but I wouldn't really calling that 'paying off', it just means that the thing was broken or didn't live up to expectations.

Lightening
03-22-2010, 08:13 AM
I only keep them if I think the cashier might've screwed up or when I'm buying something with a friend to check how much we owe the other.

I bought tortillas yesterday and they were all ruined, I brought the receipt but they didn't even look at it and told me to get another pack.

Freya
03-22-2010, 08:13 AM
I only ask for one when I use my card that way I can record my bank account nonsense easier. Other wise only if I'm buying something I may think I need to return. Like clothes if they don't fit or some electronic or whatever.

No cool stories but I can tell you one if you want? :D

Shlup
03-22-2010, 08:52 AM
I have to keep all my receipts for credit card purchases of BJ with scowl at me in a very unpleasant way. He keeps thorough financial records.

For cash purchases I don't care though. I very rarely use a receipt when I return something; I just say it was a gift. :D

NorthernChaosGod
03-22-2010, 10:14 AM
I keep all my receipts until to help manage finances, I don't really keep cash on me unless I go gambling.

I usually get rid of receipts unless I might want to return/exchange the item.

Xaven
03-22-2010, 11:17 AM
"No receipt plz" Save paper!

Asking for the receipt in the bag is the best route I think. Why not? I don't keep them for financial tracking like Shrup and Lekreya--the online banking info from purchases is good enough for my budgeting practices. Having them is useful for quick returns yes, but those don't happen too often.

Fujiko
03-22-2010, 07:29 PM
When you buy things, do you ask for a receipt? Do you take a receipt when asked to do so? Have you ever had an experience where keeping a receipt paid off?! Please, tell me stories about receipts. :)

Yes, I always ask for them and I always keep them until I'm absolutely sure I won't be needing them. It usually always pays off to keep them cause, A) you might want to return what you bought for store credit, B) something might be wrong with what you bought C) everyting you bought that is listed on that receipt also has a time and date stamp as well as the name of the store and who the cashier was when you bought the stuff. This is important information, esp in case something goes wrong or if you're e.g. keeping a budget.

I think it's important to always ask for receipts; you never know when you might need them. :)

Bunny
03-22-2010, 07:31 PM
One time I bought a donut and the cashier asked if I would like a receipt. I looked at her in confusion and said "It's just a donut, we don't need to bring ink and paper into this."

Then a friend of mine didn't believe that I bought a donut. :(

I always ask for receipts now; I've learned my lesson.

Bastian
03-22-2010, 07:39 PM
One time I bought a donut and the cashier asked if I would like a receipt. I looked at her in confusion and said "It's just a donut, we don't need to bring ink and paper into this."
That's awesome! I might steal that line . . .

Haha! The irony!

If they've already printed out the receipt, then I take the receipt so I can recycle it (because I don't trust that people won't just throw it in a trash bin even if they say they're going to recycle it). But I prefer that they don't even bother printing one out, in which case I say no. :)

Zeldy
03-22-2010, 07:44 PM
I hate when like, a buy a single bottle of Dr Pepper from Superdrug and they give me like 5 receipts and a £5 off No.7 voucher. I just want a freaking bottle of Dr Pepper.

I hate when they ASK if I want my receipt, because then I get all shy and go '...hhehhhe go on then..' WHEN I DON'T WANT IT.

Jess
03-22-2010, 07:47 PM
If I'm buying clothes and stuff, always. Incase they don't fit/are faulty.etc

Although if I'm buying a can of red bull.. why would I want a receipt? I'm gonna walk straight out, open it, drink it and then throw the can in a bin. Argh!

Hot Shot
03-22-2010, 08:15 PM
I understand why you would need a reciept for something which you intend to keep/use for a long period of time, but when you get a sandwich for lunch at tesco and they give you a reciept i just think "WTF!? I'm gonna eat it now!" but i still take it out of habit

Breine
03-22-2010, 08:57 PM
When buying clothes, and expensive stuff I usually keep them.. but then it typically doesn't take long for me to throw them out. I have too much stuff lying around anyway, and useless receipts don't exactly help in that matter.

Chloe.
03-22-2010, 09:32 PM
I always throw it away if it is just for something like food or whatever, but if it's for clothes or something expensive I keep it in my purse. (:

At work I always ask the customer if the receipt is alright in the bag, but if they didn't want a bag it really annoys when they just walk away before I can give them the receipt, it just ends up going in the bin.

NorthernChaosGod
03-22-2010, 11:39 PM

Mitch, is that you?

Jiro
03-24-2010, 03:57 AM
I don't usually take a receipt unless I've bought something expensive. When I do the odd bit of grocery shopping or buy something incidental, I always politely refuse a receipt.

Goldenboko
03-24-2010, 04:00 AM
I always take receipts because well I like to double check the math before I leave a store! That and receipts are incredibly necessary when I go out to eat with friends and everyone pays for themselves, hell no I ain't payin' for your steak when all I got was a hamburger >:0

~*~Celes~*~
03-24-2010, 04:07 AM
The stores I tend to frequent don't ask me if I want the receipt or not, they always just hand it to me or put it in my bag. I always end up throwing them out anyway.

Mirage
03-24-2010, 04:10 AM
We're always asked if we want the receipt around here, but I just tell them "no" unless I either buy several things for several different persons, if the total came to something strange that I didn't expect, or if I need it as a proof of purchase for something sort of expensive, like a pair of headphones for example. Places where I buy really expensive stuff like PCs usually have a pretty comprehensive and reliable computer system where receipts are saved, so I don't usually use a lot of energy on keeping my paper copies in a safe place.

Freya
03-24-2010, 04:18 AM
You know I was thinking about it, if you saved all your receipts for a while you'll be able to make a paper mache goat.

Jessweeee♪
03-24-2010, 04:21 AM
I horde them thinking I'm going use them someday (even when I'm just buying starbursts from the gas station) and then throw them out when I just have a bunch of unorganized white slips of paper getting in my way xD

oddler
03-24-2010, 12:09 PM
You know I was thinking about it, if you saved all your receipts for a while you'll be able to make a paper mache goat.

Best reason I've heard yet for actually taking one!

Aerith's Knight
03-24-2010, 12:50 PM

Best reason I've heard yet for actually taking one!

The best part would be when you get an Audit from the IRS.

Lawr
03-24-2010, 12:50 PM
When you buy things, do you ask for a receipt?
I usually say the first thing that comes to mind which is usually "nopyes."

Do you take a receipt when asked to do so?
Yeah because just not taking a receipt when asked seems kind of rude.

Have you ever had an experience where keeping a receipt paid off?!

Nopyes.

oddler
03-24-2010, 12:58 PM

I'm super guilty of this, too!

See, then you just have to tag "thanks" onto the end of what you want to say. However, sometimes this makes you look snobby and sarcastic i.e. "Stop looking at me, thanks."

Lawr
03-24-2010, 01:05 PM

I'm super guilty of this, too!

Oh heh I thought I was the only one.

See, then you just have to tag "thanks" onto the end of what you want to say. However, sometimes this makes you look snobby and sarcastic i.e. "Stop looking at me, thanks."

Kind of like "Your breath stinks, thanks. :shobon:"

oddler
03-24-2010, 01:09 PM
It's pretty crazy that that was the other example I was thinking of using. :monster:

Momiji
03-24-2010, 01:11 PM
When offered one, I generally say 'yeah, sure', but I usually end up throwing it away later because I really don't care about receipts!

oddler
03-24-2010, 01:18 PM
I'd say the only times I really say, "Yeah, I'll take it," is when it's already been printed out by default of by an assumption. No use wasting it then. And that gets me thinking... Why are we even asked in the first place? Why don't we just have the things shoved in with our purchase and go? :p

Momiji
03-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Maybe it's because some people don't want a paper trail for the times when they buy condoms and cat food or something.

oddler
03-24-2010, 01:30 PM
I have to admit, I've never seen anyone buy condoms and cat food at the same time. xD

(Easily hidden, by the way. Put the receipt in the box!)

Momiji
03-24-2010, 01:33 PM
It was just an example. What I really mean is 'when buying items that one could look at the receipt and make some interesting assumptions, some people may not want evidence of that'!

NorthernChaosGod
03-24-2010, 09:57 PM
I either buy condoms separately or make sure I get them with odd items to purposefully fuck with the cashiers.

Last time I bought condoms and lube with some rope. :cool:

Bunny
03-24-2010, 10:03 PM

Mitch, is that you?

Glad someone noticed and pointed it out.