PDA

View Full Version : Writing At Its Best

Laddy
03-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Look here. (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate#Baldur.27s_Gate_.281998.29_.26_Baldur.27s_Gate:_Tales_of_the_Sword_Coast_.281999.29)

What games have awesome writing?

Shlup
03-23-2010, 01:26 AM
I love good dialogue. I hear Modern Warfare 2 has a good script.

Depression Moon
03-23-2010, 03:06 AM
Final Fantasy IX, MGS3.

Crop
03-23-2010, 03:13 AM
Deus Ex has my personal favourite writing in any game, I love the dialogue that takes place between some of the characters, like JC and the Morpheus AI. It also has some amusing lines, like the classic "What a shame".

McLovin'
03-23-2010, 04:02 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics remake and Final Fantasy 12 helloooo.

Drift
03-23-2010, 03:03 PM

oh shlup's you make me lol :p

MJN SEIFER
03-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Final Fantasy VII (with a few translation errors I admit)
Final Fantasy VIII

Actually most FFs really - but those are the one I thought had the best - IX is pretty close.

Bolivar
03-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Hmmm... well Uncharted 2 received near universal acclaim for its writing last year and playing/seeing the game multiple times it probably is one of the best put together scripts in gaming history.

Brian Cox's performance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2-swSqw2pY&feature=PlayList&p=3634547E96E3D9CD&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=17) as Scolar Visari in Killzone 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_NHPudznY8) still gives me chills to this day, Visari is probably the all-time greatest fictional charismatic dictator in the history of video games.

The Metal Gear games have always been very well written to me, despite perceived convolution of the last game, it's still one of my all time favorite stories. I think the themes as well as characters and plot are all on a level video games are really overlooked for.

Alucard von Elru
03-25-2010, 05:15 AM
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Psychonauts win the thread.

Kenshin IV
03-26-2010, 08:03 AM
I agree with the guy above me. Tim Schafer games and the Uncharted series have some of the best writing in any game.

Final Fantasy games are known for quality story telling, NOT for its writing. They all have horribly cheesy dialogue, even despite the terrible translations, but that sometimes is part of the charm. Especially when it's all text, and you're not actually "hearing" the cheese.

Oh, and, just for the record, you heard wrong. Modern Warfare 2 is a Michael Bay movie. From big exploding set pieces right down to its writing.

Edit by Kishi: Please edit your post rather than double-posting.

MJN SEIFER
03-26-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm probably gonna sound really fan-boyish, but I still think that the later FF games have astounding writing - The Earlier ones have it too, but most of it gets lost in the translation (that's not to say that the later ones don't have translation fluffs aswell - there is a whole project in the FFVII board for just that), but for the most part the dramatic moments actually made me feel the way the game clearly made me feel - it didn't matter that the were no voices because I could "hear" it as I read it, I personally believe the FF games were actually more "alive" without Voice Actors - It's just my opinion, but there you go.

Rase
03-26-2010, 08:42 PM
I really enjoyed Assassin's Creed II's writing and dialog, and the voice acting was quite good as well. Really though, it's Command and Conquer Red Alert 3. Come on people. Seriously. Freaking Tim Curry, George Takei, and Jonathan Pryce.

Iceglow
03-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dragon Age Origins (and I'm going to assume Awakenings here) Fallout 3, Gears of War 1 and 2 (pretty much 2 very solid games on all fronts here)

From the ff series I'd disagree with the writing of VII maybe the Japanese comes of better but the english version I felt was a let down in comparison to some of the other titles, I think that FFIX had an excelently written story however it did take a player to actually sit down, relax and take their time to truly enjoy the story.

MJN SEIFER
03-26-2010, 09:19 PM
I kind of got that with VII - I realize that it lost things in the translation, but I actually played the game consectivly - so I saw it from both angles - for example when on my second play though I knew what "clones" were so I could scrtutinize things more clearly - like for example the second time I played (or maybe third) I realized that some of "clones" are the Nibelheim towns people.

But Yeah, FFIX had a great storyline, but I also feel that VII and VIII did.

Raistlin
03-26-2010, 11:27 PM
FFT, Lunar SSSC, and Suikoden II have some of the best writing I've seen in a game. Every Suikoden except IV has good writing, though (some of the plot developments of IV made me *facepalm*).

I Took the Red Pill
03-27-2010, 12:17 AM
Okage: Shadow King

Skyblade
03-27-2010, 04:50 AM
The Mass Effect games.
Chrono Trigger.
Golden Sun.
Fire Emblem (the first US GBA one had the best, but several of the others had good writing as well).

Moon Rabbits
03-27-2010, 05:43 AM

respek.

Laddy
03-28-2010, 07:35 PM

respek.
Hells yeah. :love:

Necronopticous
03-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Vagrant Story.

Vyk
03-30-2010, 06:10 AM
Shouldn't a Monkey Island game or two be mentioned? Or Grim Fandango or something? And from what I hear, Planescape: Torment took Baldur's Gate's storytelling and dialogue to the next level. I've heard some people rave over the System Shock games. And original Fallout. Though pretty much anything Black Isle/BioWare/Obsidian is basically a shoe-in. I'm trying to think of that other PC game everyone loved back in the day...

Madame Adequate
03-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Monkey Island.

Vyk
03-30-2010, 07:09 PM
I dunno if it was the writing or the acting, but I loved how Jade was delivered in Beyond Good and Evil <3

Jings
03-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dragon Age Origins (and I'm going to assume Awakenings here) Fallout 3, Gears of War 1 and 2 (pretty much 2 very solid games on all fronts here).

You mention Fallout 3 but not 1 or 2? I assume you did that because you haven't played them, in which case I urge you to do so as soon as possible.

Pretty much all Bioware games are fantastically written.

Meat Puppet
03-30-2010, 10:37 PM
grand theft auto

Vyk
03-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Demon Stone was written by R. A. Salvatore xD

Loony BoB
03-31-2010, 01:24 PM
I'll second the Mass Effect mention and throw in FFXIII.

EDIT: I also second/third/fourth/fifth/whateverth Uncharted 2, which probably beats the two others, now that I think about it.

Breine
03-31-2010, 09:37 PM
Vagrant Story.

This.

Also, Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy IX come to mind. The MGS games were also pretty well written.