PDA

View Full Version : Where's my hard mode?

some fat guy with cheese
03-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Is anyone else frustrated byt he fact that the GBA version of FFI didn't have the option to turn off the "enhancements" to make the game more playable, like auto-tageting when your target dies? I liked the fact that the PS1 version allowed you to turn those features off for a feel closer to the original NES version and I with they kept that in the GBA version.

VeloZer0
03-22-2010, 04:59 PM
That blows. It would be cool if you could have an option for retro sprites too. Or turn the ridiculous leveling curve back to normal.

Shlup
03-23-2010, 01:58 AM
I think that's a weird thing to complain about, but I guess some people are hardcore like that.

Then again, I didn't play it. *shrug*

Raistlin
03-23-2010, 02:02 AM
From what I've heard, the GBA version wasn't a very good remake overall.

VeloZer0
03-23-2010, 02:04 AM
It isn't so much turning on hard mode so much as turning of easy mode and going back to normal.

Bunny
03-29-2010, 07:28 PM
If you want to play a game closer to the NES version, play the NES version. I did not mind the changes made to the difficulty in the GBA release as it made it easier for a wider variety of experimentation with different class combinations without having to worry too much about getting your ass handed to you if you didn't bring a White Mage along.

There is no point in releasing the same game, with the same exact upgrades and changes, repeatedly over multiple systems.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-29-2010, 09:37 PM
There is no point in releasing the same game, with the same exact upgrades and changes, repeatedly over multiple systems.

There's the utility of portability, at least. Dawn of Souls is poison to me (and the PSP port is the same thing but uglier), but I would play a portable version of Origins all over the place.

Slothy
03-30-2010, 02:34 AM
Given how much I hate the gameplay in the original, anything that results in less grinding and time spent in battles throughout the game is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I liked the GBA port for that reason.

Levian
07-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Not at all frustrated. I don't have nostalgia enough attached to this game to think it becoming more user friendly is a bad thing. The GBA port was sweet, lovely music as well.

Wolf Kanno
07-27-2010, 01:45 AM
I prefer the original and Origins versions. Once you take out the difficulty, there isn't much left. It cheapens the experience overall cause getting all the new spells and equipment doesn't take time or patience anymore. I played through the PSP version and breezed through the game, in a few hours I had already taken out three of the four fiends whereas my usual playthrough would have been twice as long by that point. It just kinda felt sad breezing through the game so easily. :(

Old school games should remain old school hard. :colbert:

Sefie1999AD
07-27-2010, 10:34 AM
While I think the GBA version is better than the PSX version (better translation, and the game seemed quite slow-paced on PSX compared to WSC and GBA versions, for some reason), I find it weird to play the GBA version since I can breeze through it without even thinking much. In the other versions, battles required you to be careful and play strategically.

VeloZer0
07-29-2010, 01:37 AM
I think the problem is that the main source of difficulty in the original is brokenness and unfairness. Once you take that out it becomes incredibly easy. If they had taken the DoS changes and then re-balanced the game to make up for it it would have been a WAY better edition than the original.