PDA

View Full Version : Games based on Movies

Rodarian
03-22-2010, 02:10 PM
For some reason I never liked playing video games based off of a movie and would rather play a game that at least has some originality to it.. Now the game turned into a movie...That's a separate matter...

The first time I bought a game based off of a movie was Jurassic Park (SNES) and Batman Forever(SNES).... Now it had its salient points... The lack of save point caused my brother and I great stress on our attempts to finish it.. Which we did but the ending was a total lack luster....

Now the only other game I have is the Matrix (featuring Niobe) .... I have yet to even open it!!

I wonder how many games do you guys own that are based off of a movie...

MJN SEIFER
03-22-2010, 03:30 PM
I have Die Hard Trilogy -it is based on the three Die Hard films, and you can choose which one you want to play. It is a 3rd Shooter (Die Hard), a 1st Shooter (Die Harder) and a Driving Game (Die Hard with a vengence). It's pretty good.

I have played some of the pixar games (e.g. Bugs Life) in my opinion it looks like they're advertising the film.

Also, did you know that for a short time (when the PlayStation was relativly new) there was a game based on "Street Fighter: The Movie"? Which is basically a game, based on a film, based on a game. :roll2

VeloZer0
03-22-2010, 04:16 PM
I would never buy a game just because of a movie tie in, though I don't count that as a strike against it. Every game stands on its own merits, imo.

Mo-Nercy
03-22-2010, 06:12 PM
I have Die Hard Trilogy -it is based on the three Die Hard films, and you can choose which one you want to play. It is a 3rd Shooter (Die Hard), a 1st Shooter (Die Harder) and a Driving Game (Die Hard with a vengence). It's pretty good.
I smurfing love that game. Your score was represented by burning hostages.

Other than the Die Hard Trilogy, I own a lot of games from the Dynasty Warriors series. They're based off a book, which was inspired by history, which has also been made into movie-form many, many, many times. And I also used to have the Space Jam game, but I can't remember if it was any good or not.

Rase
03-22-2010, 08:33 PM
For some reason I never liked playing video games based off of a movie
Probably has something to do with the vast majority of them being piece of :bou::bou::bou::bou: tie-ins with minimal budget designed to grab the guaranteed sales brought in my name-recognition. That's just my thoughts though.

I don't own any games based on movies. I couldn't care less if it's based off the best or worse movie ever, if the game is crap I won't buy it. If I heard about a really good movie licensed game I would look into it, but I haven't yet (at least one that interests me as well).

Depression Moon
03-22-2010, 09:16 PM
I don't have any in my collection, but back in the SNES days I could deal with them more probably because I was a child. For licensed games I played...

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/4/588274_40171_front.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/0/563510_63290_front.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/7/588487_47122_front.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/6/588796_40462_front.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/7/588447_47111_front.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/5/588495_47127_front.jpg

I also played a Batman game, can't remember the name, but you had to go through Riddler's maze and fight a minotaur. That part of the game scared me and so did Alien 3, couldn't play it unless my brother was around.

Bolivar
03-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Well, there was a little one back in '97, what was it called again, I can't remember... oh yeah,

http://blogs.wefrag.com/snake_92i/files/2009/03/boite-goldeneye.jpg

OK so obviously that's as best as it gets but other good ones I remember are already here like the Die Hard game, and for some reason I actually thought Batman Forever was ok.

The last one I bought was Quantum of Solace, and it actually wasn't all that bad. A mediocre shooter, yes, but one I can have a little bit (sometimes a lot) of fun with, plyaing through the missions really quick and racking up my trophies, I even played the MP a little bit which was such a hackneyed version of Call of Duty (treyarch helped with it) but it actually wasn't bad.

THESE games don't count, but Far Cry 2 partially is because it's a 2008 adaptation of Heart of Darkness, which was made into film by "Apocalypse Now". I thought it was an interesting take on how the book is about colonialism, the movie is about interventionism and Far Cry 2 is about globalization, which are all temporal incarnations of each other.

The God of War series is really the progeny of all of the older epic movies at a time when they were coming back in fashion, it specifically took things from Clash of the Titans and Jason & the Argonauts and I don't think the game would have come about if it wasn't for the visual style of those movies.

Shlup
03-23-2010, 02:07 AM
I love the Aladdin game!

http://www.coolrom.com/screenshots/snes/Aladdin%20%282%29.gif

Raistlin
03-23-2010, 02:13 AM
I smurfing love that game. Your score was represented by burning hostages.

Holy crap I have to play this.

Anyway, GoldenEye is the obvious mention.

~*~Celes~*~
03-24-2010, 08:06 PM
There are a couple that I actually enjoyed, like Aladdin, The Lion King, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, the Sailor Moon RPG...But I was quite bored when I played Eragon (game based on a movie based on a book, it was doomed to suck anyway) and I heard that the Alone in the Dark game (game based on a movie based on a game) isn't very good either.

So my overall opinion is...Forget it. I'm not going to even bother, unless I hear some pretty awesome reviews.

Agent Proto
03-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Don't forget the rare games based on a movie based on a game deal. A great example of such a game is Street Fighter: The Movie, which is ironically the name of the game based on the movie based on the game. I haven't played it, but I have read that it is quite terrible, like most games based on movies are.

Depression Moon
03-24-2010, 09:46 PM
There are a couple that I actually enjoyed, like Aladdin, The Lion King,
Oh man, I forgot about Lion King and Goldeneye. Man were those the times?

MJN SEIFER
03-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Don't forget the rare games based on a movie based on a game deal. A great example of such a game is Street Fighter: The Movie, which is ironically the name of the game based on the movie based on the game. I haven't played it, but I have read that it is quite terrible, like most games based on movies are.

Also, did you know that for a short time (when the PlayStation was relativly new) there was a game based on "Street Fighter: The Movie"? Which is basically a game, based on a film, based on a game. :roll2

Laddy
03-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Lord of the Rings, a game based on a movie based on a book loosely inspired by a religious text.

Agent Proto
03-25-2010, 12:59 AM

>_> Sorry, I didn't catch that earlier.

G13
03-25-2010, 06:49 AM
I love the Aladdin game!

http://www.coolrom.com/screenshots/snes/Aladdin%20%282%29.gif

Oh hell yeah! I loved that when you jumped on the camel's backs they would spit.

MJN SEIFER
03-25-2010, 04:50 PM

>_> Sorry, I didn't catch that earlier.

It's ok.

Dreddz
03-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Kind of disappointing to see no one mention The Thing. Not a great game but still a decent squad based shooter. One of the first squad based games if I recall.

Gus777
03-25-2010, 10:46 PM

What about games based on movies based on books?