PDA

View Full Version : +HP% and +MP%, why?

some fat guy with cheese
03-22-2010, 02:11 PM
I've always found the esper level-up bonuses for HP and MP to be a total waste. Your characters are so close to 9999 HP and 999 MP at level 99 there's no real reason. Plus, with things like Green Berets, Red Caps, Crystal Orbs and Muscle Belts it's easy to augment your HP and MP if you're deficient in one or both or you need more. The other stats are harder to come by and seem to be much more useful in the long run.

Thus, I deem that the HP and MP level-up bonuses are for impatient people and they should learn some patience. :p

Flying Mullet
03-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Ha ha, I've felt the same way. The first time I played through FFVI I popped on Bahamut for the +50% HP bonus and hit 9999 hit points by level 70 or so, I think. Then I realized that I would still be gaining HP without an esper, while my other stats would not increase with a level, and I've never used hit point or magic point boosting espers since.

VeloZer0
03-22-2010, 05:23 PM
I general don't use them, but one time one of my main party characters hit lv99 with something like 9947 HP and it always pissed me off. No practical difference in battle, but it irks me seeing it one the status bar with all the other 9999s.

blackmage_nuke
03-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Stamina is rather pointless too

*Laurelindo*
04-18-2010, 04:31 PM
You can get max HP and MP for any character if you have Crusader equipped at LV46 up to LV51, then Bahamut at LV68 up to LV71;
in the Japanese version some characters even get max MP naturally.

Besides, you can easily break both Vigor and Mag.Pwr at 110 and 128 respectively, so you might as well use the other levels for HP and MP.
It's also a matter of making a "Perfect Game"; personally I'm a hardcore perfectionist and I hate when I'm just a few points short of the max.

Wolf Kanno
04-18-2010, 07:13 PM
For the hardcore player, they are useless but for a casual player who wants a minor edge and doesn't plan on getting any of their characters past Lv. 50 when they beat the game, I can see the allure. I don't use them since I do count myself as a hardcore player but in my first playthrough, I liked using it to max out the damage of Atma early and it was nice to have control over HP/MP after playing FFII (IV) for awhile.

Mirage
04-18-2010, 07:24 PM
I would never use a green beret at level 99. I usually just grab a couple of HP bonuses but never MP bonuses.

theundeadhero
04-18-2010, 07:44 PM
I use HP%+ because I don't ever level grind so my characters never get maxed. It just makes it more convenient because you don't really need any of the stats upped.

*Laurelindo*
04-18-2010, 08:19 PM
I use HP%+ because I don't ever level grind so my characters never get maxed. It just makes it more convenient because you don't really need any of the stats upped.It might be worth the trouble to boost Vigor and/or Mag.Pwr though, because dealing insane 9999s with the Autocrossbow and Air Blade is really fun.

Sure, most people would probably aim for maxing Edgar's magical Flash instead because it's faster, but I like AutoCrossbow better and since it relies on Vigor he also deals high damage with weapons (which will make him much stronger against single targets if he uses the epic Offering/Genji Glove combo).

theundeadhero
04-19-2010, 02:49 AM
Nah, you're better off giving the Offering/Genji Glove to someone like Locke, Shadow, Setzer or Mog and utilizing Edgar's chainsaw.

*Laurelindo*
04-19-2010, 05:08 AM
Nah, you're better off giving the Offering/Genji Glove to someone like Locke, Shadow, Setzer or Mog and utilizing Edgar's chainsaw.Yeah but Edgar probably does a better job as a physical attacker than as a magic user, and his AutoCrossbow (Vigor) is just slightly slower than Flash (Mag.Pwr).

But sure, Locke is the best physical attacker at the end of the game, since both AtmaWeapon and ValiantKnife easily inflict 9999 DMG at a high Level and Vigor even with the Offering/Genji Glove combo.

Wolf Kanno
04-19-2010, 06:52 AM
Actually the best thing to do with Edgar is give him Dragoon Boots and the Dragon Horn relic cause his spear weapons do W-Damage when used with jump. This allows even a mid leveled Edgar to do 9999hp damage multiple times and has the added bonus of not taking damage either...

*Laurelindo*
04-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Actually the best thing to do with Edgar is give him Dragoon Boots and the Dragon Horn relic cause his spear weapons do W-Damage when used with jump. This allows even a mid leveled Edgar to do 9999hp damage multiple times and has the added bonus of not taking damage either...I've tried that, it was a great strategy.
It still requires you to level up Vigor a lot to make it really effective though, and I still think a powered up AutoCrossbow or whatever is better against multiple targets, especially since practically everything dies after 9999 Damage except bosses and dudes like Tyranosaur.

Crossblades
06-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Actually the best thing to do with Edgar is give him Dragoon Boots and the Dragon Horn relic cause his spear weapons do W-Damage when used with jump. This allows even a mid leveled Edgar to do 9999hp damage multiple times and has the added bonus of not taking damage either...

I agree with this. No one else should be using these relics except for Edgar himself, well except maybe Mog, but even then, Mog would probably be better off using other relics.

Greatermaximus
06-15-2010, 11:03 PM
It's only hard the first times through. My sig Terra tries to balance that out. I could have went for more speed than Magic Pwer still, but with four people in the group the turns would overlap. The 9999 cap is problematic in the original.

Saber
07-01-2010, 11:42 PM
The thing about me is I like to max stats. So... since the only ones I can max out in this game is HP and MP, sure I'll have an HP% and MP% on for like what? 5 levels? Anyways its good to have if you like to max out.

mikuel
02-11-2011, 08:11 PM
I found mp bonus useful, due my mage team. 700 mp at lvl 45-60 is pretty good help