PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon

Xaven
03-22-2010, 02:14 PM
So the ribbon was born in the very first installment Final Fantasy in 1987. It has been a beautiful aid ever since, blocking nearly every status ailment, easily being one of the most useful accessories in every game to incorporate it. But why a ribbon, and why so powerful? Is it supposed to represent innocence, or the power of the meek? Or something more? Or nothing at all?

Discuss and deliberate, for I must be enlightened!

Flying Mullet
03-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Ribbons have been a powerful accessory since the beginning of time.

Why else would every cause known to man use a colored ribbon as their sign for awareness? It's not by chance that breast cancer awareness is spread through a pink ribbon.

Jiro
03-24-2010, 06:23 AM
I always thought it was a sort of irony; ribbons seem to be fairly flimsy and useless but are actually quite powerful.

Goldenboko
03-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Ribbons have been a powerful accessory since the beginning of time.

Why else would every cause known to man use a colored ribbon as their sign for awareness? It's not by chance that breast cancer awareness is spread through a pink ribbon.

I was just thinking "maybe they based their ribbon off the cancer ribbon". Now I feel lame and unoriginal! Howl alone! Howl alone!

Raistlin
03-24-2010, 11:23 PM
The ribbon for FFXIII is kinda disappointing, as FF ribbons go.

Kyros
03-25-2010, 03:06 AM
I found it funny that FFIX has a ton of references to other FF titles, but the ribbon does pretty much everything except block status effects lol. It gives the best stat boost as an accessory and absorbs/negates pretty much all elemental magic cast on you.

Skyblade
03-27-2010, 05:21 AM
While we're discussing Ribbons, does anyone else wish the "Super Ribbon" stuff was junked?

qwertysaur
03-29-2010, 08:49 AM
I love how it's female exclusive except for Cloud. more FF males need to crossdress to unlock the power of the ribbon :p

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-29-2010, 04:40 PM
I miss it being explicitly classified as headgear rather than just an accessory, because I like to think of the heroes all marching into the final battle looking like Kiki (http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/kiki/).

Meat Puppet
03-29-2010, 05:07 PM
I heard it was a mistranslation of diaphragm.

Flying Mullet
03-29-2010, 05:37 PM
I miss it being explicitly classified as headgear rather than just an accessory, because I like to think of the heroes all marching into the final battle looking like Kiki (http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/kiki/).
I always viewed it more as a headband than an actual ribbon.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Did you think of the various headbands as ribbons, then?

Flying Mullet
03-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Nope, no inverse relationship.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Well, the fun of the Ribbon stems from the concept that something dainty and plain would protect you more than a solid steel helmet.

qwertysaur
03-29-2010, 06:16 PM
It makes the girl or Cloud so adorable that the monster can't bring himself to kill her, so he instead plots to whisk her away to his lair.