PDA

View Full Version : Stop having fun guys.

Jessweeee♪
03-22-2010, 02:42 PM
In what ways do you limit yourself? Perhaps you and your friends don't use items in SSBM? Or maybe you don't like using those super powerful weapons in FFX!

When we were little, I would play Tekken 3 with my brother and my cousin and we had a rule where you couldn't use Eddy. We thought he was so bad ass and unbeatable because we would spam one of his combos when we did play him.

Personally I think it's silly! Unless the game is poorly adjusted then I let it define what I can and can not do.

Slothy
03-22-2010, 03:08 PM
When I used to play Turok 2 multiplayer with friends and family I got to be too good at it and started limiting myself to only using certain weapons. At first it was the assault rifle, and then later, the crossbow. Turns out that the crossbow is the best weapon in the game though (deadly accurate with infinite ammo) and I became a master of headshots. It actually made me realize how broken the game is in the hands of a good player because I became so good at headshots that I could kill anyone in one hit with the thing, before most people could even react (and even if they did hit me, if it wasn't a headshot then I'd be left standing).

I used to do something similar in Team Fortress Classic playing Sniper when I stopped zooming because sniping was getting too easy. Then I became pretty much unstoppable at short-long range.

Thankfully, none of those shenanigans works as well in most games I play these days.

VeloZer0
03-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Play the original Super Mario Bros. on an emulator with the frameskip cranked up so it run on super high speed. Took us a few attempts to get the timing right just to not die to the first goomba who strolls at you at (in normal speed) a leisurely pace.

I'm a big fan of the early Mega Man X games, so I often do stuff like 'beat the game w/o special weapons', 'beat the game w/o dashing' ect...

In FFT I've played so many times that every new playthrough I try and set up some rules I have to work my party within.

I only ever do stuff like this to games that I love and have beaten several times already, on a new game I always work with all the stuff I have available. (Unless I consider it stupid enough it ruins the game experience)

Mo-Nercy
03-22-2010, 06:07 PM
When we were little, I would play Tekken 3 with my brother and my cousin and we had a rule where you couldn't use Eddy. We thought he was so bad ass and unbeatable because we would spam one of his combos when we did play him.
Oooh. I have a 'Tekken with cousins' story too. Back in T3 days, I was quite a bit better than my cousins at Tekken so they made it a rule that I could only play with the Dance Dance Revolution controller/peripheral. It was hard, but I still won sometimes!

Those same cousins have since grown up and are now much better than I am at Tekken 6.

Oh yeah. Since Eddy's scrub-friendly, spammable combos are low-mid strings, you can use a well-timed jump kick (common to all characters in Tekken 3, but Hwoarang and Heihachi have really effective ones) to break him out of it. If your opponent starts to block to the jump kick, try jumping without kicking and grab them as you land. xD

Jessweeee♪
03-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Hahaha Tekken is so fun with a DDR mat xD

NorthernChaosGod
03-22-2010, 11:00 PM
We usually turn off items other than the smash ball in Brawl. Also, our go to game when doing customs matches on Halo 3 is the current version of MLG.

Freya
03-22-2010, 11:03 PM
We usually turn off items other than the smash ball in Brawl.

Yeah that but in the original smash bros. Things like the hammer were just too good.

Vermachtnis
03-22-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't really limit myself, unless you count not using Legendaries in Pokemon.

Breine
03-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Hahaha Tekken is so fun with a DDR mat xD

I wanna try it! :cry:

Shlup
03-23-2010, 02:33 AM
If I ever use a guide or walkthrough for a game you know I'm extremely desperate. Like about to quit the game forever desperate.

Other than that... I don't really limit myself.