PDA

View Full Version : Musing of the Universe of FF

Rodarian
03-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Now I have often have assumed that every Final Fantasy game occupies the same Universe...This was further validated that the creator hinted that FVII is linked to FX because of Shinra and theory of the Lifestream and Fayths....
I wonder how FXIII is supposedly connected to each with actually being connected to one another ala story wise... Do the three games occupy the same universe as well??

Also case point with Dissidia as well with the GOOD VS EVIL... The only thing I don't gel with is a different dimension fallacy.

Another musing is that generally , the creatures that reside in the worlds of Final Fantasy are very much hostile....

Would we ever survive if such creatures existed in our world...

Hmmmm......

Tokimadoushi
05-07-2010, 10:53 AM
In my opinion, the worst thing they could have done was start making sequels and 'connections' between the different numbered games in the series. That's why I wish X-2 never existed. Not only did it start the sequel-prequel-spin-off compilation crap, it also introduced the concept of the FFs being connected, which in all honesty makes zero sense. I have tried to make sense of the FFX-FFVII "link" and for it to even start making sense they would have to butcher the stories just as they did with the VII compilation. Will they just leave poor Cloud and co. alone? I think not.

"OMG Yuna could be Aerith's great-great-great-great-great grandmother!!!"

.....No.

Slothy
05-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Not only did it start the sequel-prequel-spin-off compilation crap, it also introduced the concept of the FFs being connected, which in all honesty makes zero sense. I have tried to make sense of the FFX-FFVII "link" and for it to even start making sense they would have to butcher the stories just as they did with the VII compilation. Will they just leave poor Cloud and co. alone? I think not.

"OMG Yuna could be Aerith's great-great-great-great-great grandmother!!!"

.....No.

It really only introduced the idea of X and VII being connected, but frankly, even with someone at Square saying that was how it was intended it's still a load of crap. The leaps you have to make to even make it work the way they described it should be enough for anyone with any sense in their head to realize it's a stupid idea and that someone at Square got a little overzealous when they were writing in a neat little reference to VII.

VeloZer0
05-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I think we are moving to a comic book model where every new 'author' just decides to re-invent the plot and connect their work to any other works they thought were cool.

And we all know long running comic series are the epitome of coherent storytelling.

Rozaheku
05-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I've never seen a problem with Final Fantasy's being connected to each other. It doesn't have to be obvious for me like old characters appearing in totally unrelated games, but small references like the Highwind surname are always a nice touch. I just view all the games to take place in the same universe, but on different planets of course. That works perfectly fine and doesn't cheapen the individual stories of the games in any way.

Depression Moon
05-09-2010, 05:38 PM
^I agree