PDA

View Full Version : FF VI the sequel

Rodarian
03-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Sounds kinda lame but if they can make a sequel with VII, and IV..I don't see any reason why they can't do it with six....

I could imagine that old characters and new ones would try to recreate a world of balance once again or a Kefka wannabe wanting to keep everything in misery.

But these days it always a monkey making business to produce a sequel..

Yay or Nay for VI sequel..

Flying Mullet
03-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Nay

I think FFVI wrapped up the story of that world nicely. Magic disappeared and everyone moved on with their life.

As others have said before, I think there is a lot more to be done with a prequel regarding the War of the Magi 1000 years in the past.

VeloZer0
03-22-2010, 05:21 PM
I don't approve of the sequels to IV,VII or X, so I'm going with no. The story was wrapped up well.

bipper
03-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Square went in another direction. They couldn't write another 6 if they had to.

~*~Celes~*~
03-23-2010, 05:07 AM
I think that VI was an amazing game, and a sequel would be a mistake. Now, like FM said, a prequel is another story.

Edge7
03-23-2010, 05:17 AM
Well, I clicked yay!, but I did so thinking more of an ova-type approach (not a full fledged movie like Advent Children, just something showing them rebuilding their lives, kinda like the Persona 4 Radio Drama.)

TheAbominatrix
03-23-2010, 05:24 AM
If I thought they could do it well, I'd love to see an OVA sequel... but I couldn't stand V's (semi) sequel OVA Legend of the Crystals. Was that what it was called? I've forgotten and I'm too lazy to look it up.

A prequel during the War of the Magi would be amazing, but I agree with bipper. These aren't the same people who made VI and I'd hate to see them ruin a good thing.

Then again, I should play FFIV: The After Years before I say anything about that. If they were to do any sort of prequel/sequel/whatever in game form I'd love for them to do it with the same graphics just as they did in IV:TAY.

blackmage_nuke
03-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Ive said it many times but i would like to see a musical based on the opera scene set 1000 years in the past during the war of the magi.

Jiro
03-24-2010, 04:18 AM
A prequel would be more my thing. I love VI, but it's clear cut. I don't want them screwing with my ending!

Wolf Kanno
03-24-2010, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't mind a prequel if I felt SE could do it (I don't think they can though) but unlike everyone else here, I don't want it to be set in War of the Magi but rather one set 10 years before and deals with Kefka and the Empire. I think a drama giving more backstory to the Empire would be really interesting as well as showing off what the other characters were doing before the war.

VeloZer0
03-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Only problem with that idea is lack of action. Not every story lends itself well to being an RPG. There has to be dungeons and a progressions of enemies you encounter that become continually stronger.

Something like you describe is probably too long for an movie, so looks like a book is the only real way to tell that story in the manner it deserves.

Wolf Kanno
03-25-2010, 02:08 AM
I wasn't actually thinking of a game to be honest, I should have made myself more clear. Still, I think a film would actually do well (preferably animated so SE doesn't feel obligated to add Wire-Fu or "wow" moments) as I don't see the story needing to go into too much detail with some characters as most of the VI cast will most likely be children in this time frame not to mention characters like Cyan wouldn't be doing anything terribly important.

The only issue would be whether to use it as a platform for telling Shadow's story. I'd personally rather not deal with it as I feel the game details his past in a way very fitting for the character. Too much detail would ruin the allure of the character. So I feel if we stuck mostly to Terra, Celes, Kefka, Cid and Leo; it could build a strong story narrative and leave the other characters to simple fan service shout outs.

Though thinking about it more, I could see a game being built around the scenario, just make sure not to make the same mistake as Crisis Core and try to build it into some "grand adventure that took place before the other grand adventure". A game focused as a character piece exploring these five characters could make a compelling story even if the title didn't have a major villain or major world shattering conflict. The real drama for the player would simply be knowing how it would all end when it finally jumps into FFVI.

I think this has been the major weakness in all the sequels/prequels SE has made is that they try to write stories that are considered to be on the same world crisis scale of the originals when I feel a simpler character piece would satiate most fans.

VeloZer0
03-25-2010, 02:39 AM
I think this has been the major weakness in all the sequels/prequels SE has made is that they try to write stories that are considered to be on the same world crisis scale of the originals when I feel a simpler character piece would satiate most fans.
Absolutely. I know 'Final Fantasy' is just a name, but the earlier stories all feel like they are the greatest event to ever befall their respective worlds. Adding prequels and sequels dilutes the impact of the original story.

~*~Celes~*~
03-25-2010, 05:37 AM
Absolutely. I know 'Final Fantasy' is just a name, but the earlier stories all feel like they are the greatest event to ever befall their respective worlds. Adding prequels and sequels dilutes the impact of the original story.

Agree'd. It's kind of like "OH MY GOSH THE WORLD IS GOING TO END yay we saved it!" and then "oh, we saved the world, BUT IT'S IN DANGER AGAIN OH MY okay we saved it again yay, but man, if that happens again, I'm so retiring early :eep:"

Too much of a good thing can be bad.

pyrefly
03-25-2010, 12:57 PM
I would love a prequel! I agree with most of everyone else, the story was wrapped up rather nicely. Plus I wouldn't want my characters effed with.

bipper
03-26-2010, 02:30 AM
lolololololololololololololololololno

hardly official. Good job though webs.com looks great.

No.78
04-02-2010, 08:18 PM
I think there are still loose ends. Terra is 50% Esper, so what does half of her just disappear now?

There could be an interesting plot involving that. I would like a modernized sequel, or a modernized remake... Definitely welcome that.

A prequel would be sweet, too.

Flying Mullet
04-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Terra lost her ability to Morph and use magic. I thought that was made clear in the ending? Or maybe I just assumed as much and it was never officially said.

TheAbominatrix
04-03-2010, 05:07 AM
Well it states pretty clearly that magic is gone from the world so I assume Terra falls into that. Maduin says if she's strongly attached to something she may be able to remain in this world as a human, so I don't think any of her Esper self is remaining. If it is it'd be more of a genetic thing, but considering Espers are complete magical beings and magic no longer exists I doubt it'd be able to manifest itself in any form.

No.78
04-03-2010, 11:39 AM
So does that mean there's an esper version of Terra in the Esper World, now?

Her alter ego can't just cease to be, surely...

*raises eyebrow*

Flying Mullet
04-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Supposedly all of the espers disappear. Not as in go back to another world, but as in cease to exist.

blackmage_nuke
04-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Terra doesnt have an alter ego. It's not like she's a different person when she transforms except that first time where she goes psycho

No.78
04-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Oh, they all die? That upsets me. :(

Wolf Kanno
04-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Supposedly Terra was planned to die in the ending due to magic being destroyed but the design team didn't have the guts to go through with it and so they chose to let Terra survive and become a human.

Granted, I've yet to see the source where this was stated.

RedPouch
04-07-2010, 09:11 AM
I'd love a prequel as well. I don't mind sequels at all if they're done well [though sequels tend to flop for some reason], so normally I'd be interested to see what they'd come up with for using a sequel. However, as it's already been stated, FF VI wrapped up its story too well. Everyone had settled, and the essence of magic was utterly destroyed, so I'm not sure how they'd even find a way to bring magic back to make a decent story [granted, magic isn't required to have a functional RPG, but I'd imagine it being pretty boring without magic]. But then again, they keep bringing Sephiroth back over and over to keep getting his ass kicked by Cloud, time and time again, so I'm sure that if they did make a sequel to FF VI [highly unlikely], they would find some ludicrous explanation for magic to slide its way back into the world. And yes, the sequel would probably not be as good as the original. It would at least be enjoyable, but would probably be lesser in comparison unless they found some way to make the story really good.

But getting back to the notion of the prequel, I have to say that I'd be far more intrigued to see what the War of the Magi was like. And maybe at that point you could fight the Warring Triad at their full power [I'm reasoning that the Warring Triad you fight on Kefka's Tower is only a small fraction of their original power since he had drained most of it?].

Elskidor
10-06-2010, 03:54 AM
It deserves an entire spin off series, lol. Begin with a prequel with the War of Magi, and then work on some character spin-offs. Caves of Narshe and the creatures and Espers that have inhabited it is a mystery that could be explored, but not sure how one would go about making a game about Moogles and sasquatches. A few after years tales of the company could be fun. Shadow gotta be running around doing something interesting, and what if some crazy Kefka cult followers went into to hiding to cause some later mischief? I'm sure the writers could come up with something if FF6 was ever to be reworked.

Wolfen
10-07-2010, 08:44 PM
No sequel please. VI's story was tied up perfectly at the end, and the back story was explained throughout the entire game. It would just end up turning into another Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy IV: The After Years.

Kenshin IV
10-11-2010, 07:38 AM
No, no, no, and no.

Final Fantasy VI has a sequel. It's called "Final Fantasy VII." That's more than good enough.

Enough with these stupid, unnecessary spin-offs. Its only function is to get you to spend money without them having to put forth any effort (at least, in any area that really matters. We all know the games will at least "look" great.)

VeloZer0
10-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Final Fantasy VI has a sequel. It's called "Final Fantasy VII." That's more than good enough.
I can see myself reusing that one at some future date ;)

dunit697
01-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Yea for prequal, most likley a nay for sequal unless we still had square soft. SE no longer has the ability to make a game without, annoying shallow characters, apparently the bubblegumy music from 13, more time spent in graphics than story, and the quirky sense of humor that made VI even more awesome is long since gone, but a prequal would be awesome, my favorite would be a prequal mixed with a remake.