PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite books when you were a kid

Momiji
03-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Title says it all, I guess.

I liked Dr. Seuss books a lot when I was really little.

I liked Charlotte's Web, too. My teacher made me read it to the class when I was in kindergarten. Since I was the only one in the class that knew how to read, I think my teacher made me do it just to see if I could. I remember flipping out when the word 'kill' came up in the book, because my parents had told me that 'kill' isn't a word a child should be using.

When I was in elementary school, I really liked the Ramona Quimby books, too. Then again, pretty much everyone did. There were fights and stuff over who would get to read them.

Then I got around to reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in 6th grade, and I became a fan of those books all the way through high school.

All right, your turn. Go!

Rantz
03-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Roald Dahl's books were great. They still are, in fact. Fantastic Mr. Fox, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The BFG, The Witches, Matilda... the list goes on. Pure quality.

Wolf Kanno
03-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Dr. Seuss all the way. :cool:

My favorite children's story of all time is The Little Prince (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince). I wish there were more children's story like this one.

Pheesh
03-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Dr. Seuss, Roald Dahl and Goosebumps when I was really young. Then I went on to Harry Potter and anything Eoin Colfer. But I can still read and enjoy those last two to this day.

Also, the hobbit. I read that book so many times.

Freya
03-24-2010, 07:22 PM
I always found any kind of dragonish book. I forget them all now but I was always into the fantasy thing. I was so obsessed with harry potter that when the first movie came out I made my mom stand in line with me for 2 hours xD

Any fantasy book I loved, magic was always my favorite thing to read about. You could really do anything with magic.

~*~Celes~*~
03-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Wow, I don't even know where to start here. I've been reading since I was REALLY little.

There was Little Critter, Bernstein Bears, Roald Dahl, Amelia Bedelia, American Girl or something like that, Ramona Quimby, Sesame Street books...I could just go on and on :p I've always loved to read.

Rodarian
03-24-2010, 08:05 PM
While I flipped through those books.. As a kid I actually read more of 'coffee table' books, national geographic or anything that dealt with 'ships, trains and automobiles'

Its no wonder that my interest with them continues no matter if I fashionable guy in the designing business

Imperfectionist
03-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Aaaw I love this thread!! :D

I liked Dr Seuss even though I think I only ever read Green Eggs and Ham. Rohl Dahl was one of my favourites as well, I think The Twits was one of the first proper books I read. I really liked the film adaptations of BFG and Matilda too :p Also loved Charlotte's Web, even though the ending made me cry :(

That was all when I was really young though, when I got a bit older my mum's now ex-girlfriend really got me into reading because she came from a book-fanatic family. She used to read Harry Potter to me, and that got me really into fantasy books. I started to read stuff by Eoin Colfer, 'Lemony Snicket', and these books by some guy called William Nicholson, the first one in his series was called The Wind Singer. I really really enjoyed it but i've never come across anyone else who's ever read them.

But yes, that's where my love of books started out :)

Mo-Nercy
03-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Goosebumps for me. I especially liked thouse 'Choose your own adventure' books. I always cheated, of course. I don't think anyone would have actually gone back to the beginning of the book and started all over again.

And this is why, even to this day, I have a massive collection of bookmarks.

Bastian
03-28-2010, 07:45 PM
The Oz books! All forty of them! Loved them.

But before that, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There.

And then there was Jane Yolen's Pit Dragon Trilogy (which now has a fourth book!) and Ursula k. LeGuin's EarthSea books and Encyclopedia Brown and the Choose Your Own Adventure books and the Bunnicula books and . . . I was a book worm!

Necronopticous
03-28-2010, 07:49 PM
<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choose_Your_Own_Adventure">Choose Your Own Adventure</a>.

rubah
03-28-2010, 08:12 PM
I subscribed the boxcar children, babysitters club, little sister's, and goosebump scholastic book club things where they'd send you a few books a month. But I tended to read those within days, so xD

My grandparents gave my sister and I a huge collection of Grimm's Fairy Tales, so I cut my teeth on that, and became subsequently quaint.

I read the Little House books, the books about Rose, Caroline, and caroline's mother

I was really into christopher pike books-- Spooksville served for a while, but I moved on to his young adult stories, and actually had a dream about one of them this morning xD.

and scattered through all of this-- archie comics xD

NorthernChaosGod
03-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Dr. Seuss, Roald Dahl, The Hobbit, The Giving Tree, Where the Wild Things Are. :cool:

Crowseye
03-28-2010, 11:09 PM
After I learned to read: The Velveteen Rabbit, Charlotte's Web, A Wrinkle in Time, the Encyclopedia Brown series, the Great Brain series. A bit later, Where the Red Fern Grows.

Mirage
03-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Roald Dahl is like the only author I can remember from my childhood, so I'll go with that.

Rad Bromance
03-29-2010, 04:55 AM
http://rgr-static1.tangentlabs.co.uk/images/bau/97804409/9780440940005/0/0/plain/island-of-the-blue-dolphins.jpg

Bastian
03-29-2010, 09:00 PM
babysitters club
. . . I never read those . . . nope . . . 'cause they're for girls. But if I HAD read them then I would have always wanted a secret passage way from my room to my barn like Mary Anne's. And maybe I would have had a crush on Logan.

Ashi
04-03-2010, 06:11 PM
I used to read The Babysitters Club and Goosebumps as well :) then started reading Christopher Pike and R. L. Stine's books. The latter seemed very repetitive but still enjoyable.

Crop
04-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Goosebumps for me. I especially liked thouse 'Choose your own adventure' books. I always cheated, of course. I don't think anyone would have actually gone back to the beginning of the book and started all over again.

And this is why, even to this day, I have a massive collection of bookmarks.

This whole post.

Aside from the Choice ones, The Night of the Living Dummy series were my favourite.