PDA

View Full Version : HALP!

Freya
03-22-2010, 05:45 PM
I just started this game. The first one. I've never played a tactics game like this before so i'm really sucking at it.

Tips please cause I just blow at this game. It's making me not want to play much anymore for how much I suck :/

Flying Mullet
03-22-2010, 05:51 PM
What level/stage are you on and what problems are you facing? What's your party's makeup?

If you're lying about starting this game just to make a thread for the CK competition and wasting our time to try and help you we won't be very happy. :colbert:

Raistlin
03-22-2010, 05:53 PM
You might want to read through this thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-tactics/129222-just-got-my-hands-final-fantasy-tactics.html) where some of us gave another FFT-newbie some tips. The first thing you should do: learn Gained JP Up and Move +1 from the Squire job class for everyone in your party.

If you have problems with a specific battle, someone who remembers it might be able to help.

Freya
03-22-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm at the very beginning xD I just found out where agrias got her name! I never knew that before. I got it emulated but i'm completely lost on how this works. I had a wild battle or whatever and I had to save these guys or something, tbh I had no idea what was going on. and I got my ass handed to me. Hence my "halp!" plea.

EDIT: THANK YOU WES

Flying Mullet
03-22-2010, 06:04 PM
The best piece of advice I can offer is that you don't have to go directly into the next story battle, but you can wander the map over the battles you've already cleared to have "random encounter" battles. This is the best way to earn money to equip your party and gain enough JP to learn abilities and new jobs.

Freya
03-22-2010, 06:07 PM
I'll have to try that, maybe just to familiarize myself with it.

Flying Mullet
03-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Also, if any of your characters' countdown timer runs to 0 when they die, they are lost forever, so be careful.

Freya
03-22-2010, 06:47 PM
What really? Omg this game seems more trouble than it's worth xD

Flying Mullet
03-22-2010, 07:19 PM
If a characters falls in battle, you have three rounds to revive them. It's not as bad as it seems.

Raistlin
03-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Yeah, your characters can die and be revived after battle, but after a few rounds will turn to a crystal or item, and then they'll be lost forever (certain story characters like Delita cannot turn to crystal).

FFT is a lot about strategy. You have a better chance of a successful attack if you're attacking from the side or back; you can also utilize high ground for additional range for attacks. If a group of monsters is a problem, try letting them come to you and focusing on one at a time instead of running straight in and getting beat up.

After you're done getting the necessary Squire abilities, it's good to have a balanced party of physical and magic, and early on you'll want at least two characters capable of healing (you can have a fighter character that can heal if you just learn Potion from the Chemist job and then equip the Item ability as his secondary ability).

Fighting random battles is a good way to familiarize yourself with all of this. The random battle monsters do level up with you, but the story battles don't, so you'll still have some advantage going forward by grinding a little early on. A good way to do this is to kill off all monsters except one, which you get down to critical health (when it runs and hides in the corner of the map). Then you can just attack your own party or use self-targeting abilities like Accumulate (Squire ability) to gain JP and Exp.

VeloZer0
03-23-2010, 03:29 AM
Avoid rushing in. Though it may seem like a good idea to move a unit up to deal significant damage to something important it may be a better idea to hang back and do modest damage to something closer to your front lines, or even nothing at all.

I say this, but I still have problems with the concept. :)

McLovin'
03-23-2010, 03:57 AM
Just explore your options, take it slow. There's no rush in the battle so get used to what every button does and every option. You'll get the hang of it.

Freya
03-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Yeah I think that was my problem I was Zerging into it.