PDA

View Full Version : Magic's got nothing on me!

Aerith's Knight
03-22-2010, 05:49 PM
In either one of the Kingdom Heart games, did you ever really use magic. For the most part I just bashed onto the enemy, where the only real magic spell I used was Heal.

In a button bashing action game, I thought the healing wasn't really necessary.

Did you use magic other than healing throughout the game?

Marshall Banana
03-22-2010, 06:02 PM
I think I constantly forgot that Sora can use magic!

Pheesh
03-22-2010, 06:09 PM
I used it more in KH1 than in 2. In One I think I used Aero and Heal the most, but really only in boss battles.

In 2 I used Heal and Thunder the most, thunder is especially handy when clearing large groups of weak enemies (or levelling up your wisdom form).

P4ine
03-22-2010, 07:04 PM
In KHI probably never, but in KHII nearly constantly. Final Form's thundaga combos are BEAST. Same goes for magnega and so on.

But I also use them as 'normal' Sora. My most used spell's probably reflega as it is reaaally necessary if you plan to survive on Critical Mode.

Freya
03-22-2010, 07:24 PM
There a few things I may have used here and there but yeah over all I just used heal the most and button mashed those baddies.

PuPu
03-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Using Magic in KH1 is much more useful than mashing attack. I mean, being able to kill 5 Heartless with two Blizzards > mashing attack

You'd be a fool not to use Magic in KH2, since it's essentially free. And Reflect can break the game.

Goldenboko
03-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Using Magic in KH1 is much more useful than mashing attack. I mean, being able to kill 5 Heartless with two Blizzards > mashing attack

Yes, but the game was never difficult enough to warrent not mashing X. It's like, "I can think about this battle and win" or "I can study physics, post on EoFF, press X, and look up in a minute and half gotten the same result."

Momiji
03-22-2010, 10:28 PM
I only used Curaga in KH1, really. I like using the Keyblade to fight more, so I never really cared to use magic.

KH2, on the other hand, I used magic a lot, because they made it more fun to use with Drives and such.

PuPu
03-22-2010, 10:34 PM

Yes, but the game was never difficult enough to warrent not mashing X. It's like, "I can think about this battle and win" or "I can study physics, post on EoFF, press X, and look up in a minute and half gotten the same result."

If you had been talking about KH2, this might have been true, but not for KH1.

What takes you a minute to do takes me about 7 seconds.

Goldenboko
03-22-2010, 10:43 PM

If you had been talking about KH2, this might have been true, but not for KH1.

What takes you a minute to do takes me about 7 seconds.

I said nothing about the time and everything about end result. However KH1 was slightly better with this, normal attacks seemed way too beefy in KH2, whereas in KH1 dodging against normal enemies would occasionally be necessary.

PuPu
03-22-2010, 11:01 PM
I said nothing about the time and everything about end result. However KH1 was slightly better with this, normal attacks seemed way too beefy in KH2, whereas in KH1 dodging against normal enemies would occasionally be necessary.

Pressing one button once is better than squirrel hunting with an AK-47. :cool:

And no, dodging in KH2 was very necessary, since enemies loved using "LOL I'M ATTACKING YOU WHILE I'M INVINCIBLE!" Example is the Hot Rod, which by the way is much easier to take out with Magic, than attack.

Freya
03-22-2010, 11:25 PM
I think they probably want you to attack more than cast anyway. Why else would they give you such cool attacks and keyblades!?

PuPu
03-22-2010, 11:29 PM
That's what they want you to think. They probably knew that Sora's attacks were overpowered, hence the whole "lol I'm invincible" strategy that tons and tons of enemies use.

Goldenboko
03-22-2010, 11:32 PM

Pressing one button once is better than squirrel hunting with an AK-47. :cool:

Obviously you've never actually been squirrel hunting with an AK than. :jess:

Aerith's Knight
03-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Keyblade attacks make you cool, kids.

Don't let anyone tell you differently. :cool:

Pressing one button once is better than squirrel hunting with an AK-47.

Obviously you've never actually been squirrel hunting with an AK than.

That penguin never even saw it coming.

Tavrobel
03-23-2010, 05:57 AM
In KHI, yes. Aero and Thunder were the staples of my Heartless diet.

In KHII, not so much. I think I used Fire once while running through the game the first two times. Once I got into the post-game portion of power-leveling, AoE attacks helped, only because my Magic was high enough, and I had the third tier versions of each Magic.

Now, CoM on the other hand...

Jessweeee♪
03-24-2010, 12:58 AM
I used reflect every now and then. Other than that and Cure, the only time I regularly used it was when leveling up my forms!

Momiji
03-24-2010, 01:31 AM
I like to go into.... I think it's Final or Master form, and spam Thundaga. It's like I'm weaving through the bolts of lightning, and it looks really neat. :D

Aerith's Knight
03-24-2010, 02:30 AM
I like to go into.... I think it's Final or Master form, and spam Thundaga. It's like I'm weaving through the bolts of lightning, and it looks really neat. :D

I've never tried this. Does it deal a lot of damage or is it just cool to watch? :p

Freya
03-24-2010, 05:23 AM
Ugh I wish I could play the games again but my ps2 broke. Else i'd try the thundaga thing to see how it looks. :/

Momiji
03-24-2010, 06:51 AM

I've never tried this. Does it deal a lot of damage or is it just cool to watch? :p

Well, it kills stuff. :p

I think I remember how it works now. Final Form lets you move while taking action, and this includes magic.

It could be the Master form too, though, with the 'Endless Magic' ability. I'm not positive, but it's one of the two. I might check tomorrow.

P4ine
03-24-2010, 01:55 PM

Both I guess. It's the most powerful action you can perform with Final Form, that Thundaga-combo.

Mercen-X
03-24-2010, 06:47 PM
I hate that American Square games call Heal "Cure" etc.

I would use the healing spell and the homing fire spell mostly. I pretty much just relied on Sora's forms except in Hard Mode where I couldn't get Sora to stop frakking changing into a damned useless Shadow. Sora be a dumb itch.

In KH, I think I did more spells.

By the way, despite liking the story, I don't really approve of 358 being on DS. It really annoys me. There's no point to it being on that thing. It needs its own remake like CoM so we can hear the damn voice-acting (not to mention fixing the other crap).

Momiji
03-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Yeah well Birth by Sleep shouldn't be on PSP because I don't want to have to buy a PSP just to play the damn game. :colbert:

Mercen-X
03-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Me either, since my PSP now has a fractured screen that's hard to play on and I need to now by a new one now. Waaa.

qwertysaur
03-29-2010, 07:21 AM
I like to play Zexion in 358/2 days mission mode. He is a magic focused character. :p

unjust
06-26-2010, 04:39 AM
In kindom hearts one i probably never used them but two i used magnega protectga combo plus thundaga at the end of each combination so i used magic a lot

blackmage_nuke
06-26-2010, 05:04 AM
For me it was also just mashing X until i was short on health, where I would Hold R1 for a short amount of time while still mashing X since i set shortcut X as cure

danaxiel
09-06-2010, 01:02 AM
in Kh1 the only magic attacks i thought were useful and i used were Cure, Gravity and Aero! When you get aeroga your nearly invicible for the alloted time. it also stops ansem in part of the final fight with just sora.(when he does his dark aura type attack) ( if any one knows what im talking about please tell me) Gravity seem to be the most effective on the big bodies and other large enemies...just not bosses. Now in KH2 the only good magics were cure outside of drive form. when in final, master , and wisdom form magics that were useful were just cure and thunder. so to answer your question( sorry for the mini novel) i kinda like magic but always found myself attacking!

McLovin'
09-06-2010, 09:46 PM
You only have a few to choose from in BbS and so you use them pretty regularly and still melee at the same time.

Del Murder
09-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I used Fire/Cure/Thunder pretty regularly in the KH games. The homing effect of fire is good for striking at a distance, and Thunder is good for taking out a group at once. In 358/2, setting the right magics is essential to completing some of the challenges.