PDA

View Full Version : What's the single most dissapointing game you've ever played?

Fonzie
03-22-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm going to have to say Spore and Left 4 Dead 2.

They promised so much in Spore and it didn't quite work out; while in L4D2 it was just more of the same. :/

VeloZer0
03-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Well disappointing implies a high expectation, so most truly crap games are out. :) I usually have a fairly good idea of what a game will be like going in, so I typically avoid disappointment.

Hm..
Probably FFTA or FFXII. FFTA was a huge disappointment, due to FFT being my absolute favorite game ever. But I strongly disliked the art style going in, so that mitigated my disappointment after playing.
In FFXII I was happy with the news that there would be no love story or that it would be connected with Ivalice. I won't start another FFXII bashing thread, but suffice to say I was not impressed.

Yeargdribble
03-23-2010, 05:25 AM
Spore without a doubt was probably my biggest disappointment ever.

Deus Ex 2 also runs pretty high on that list. I'd have to agree that FFTA was a let down after FFT. I wasn't let down by FFXII that much. I loved the feel of the game as far as the battle system went all how large the world was with so much to do, but the story felt lacking and fell flat with me.

Wolf Kanno
03-23-2010, 11:14 AM
FFVII and FFX. I still can't really forgive either of them or the people who overhype these titles. They are still my least favorite entries. Though I have grown fond of VII in recent years.

Mario Galaxy - I'm seriously not feeling this title and I sorta blame it on Sly Cooper for changing my idea of what a platformer should feel like. Its not a bad game mind you but I stopped playing a few months ago and I'm still trying to muster up the will power to get back to it and that is just unheard of for a Mario title with me.

Rodarian
03-23-2010, 11:19 AM
I would have to say Jurassic Park for SNES.... No save point..... and Lack Luster ending!!

leader of mortals
03-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Well, I actually liked the Harry Potter games, and then Goblet of Fire came out. I don't buy the games anymore.

Oh, and although I haven't played the earlier games, I played Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits, and End of Darkness was bullcrap compared to it. It wasn't horrible, but it was too messed up.

Slothy
03-23-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't think there can be an answer other than Spore after thinking about this for a bit. They apparently spent so much time on letting you design your creatures and play dress up with them and their civilization that they forgot to design gameplay that was actually worth playing.

Literally every mini-game in it was either so simplified that it was no fun, or outright broken to be honest.

Dreddz
03-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Devil May Cry 2

Yeargdribble
03-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Spore just set itself up for this really. There was not only a ton of hype, but that huge demo that Wright showed over a year before release looked more fun than the actual game ended up being. I don't think it was his fault in the end. Someone on the team made the call to make it easier and more cute. That's not what people were excited about.

Momiji
03-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Final Fantasy VII, easily. 'Best Final Fantasy ever'? Hype is such an illusion.

ljkkjlcm9
03-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Uncharted and Uncharted 2... I don't get it. I hear all this hype of GoTY and such, my friends insisting I play it... and all it is, is a linear 3rd person shooter. Sure, the story was fun, and it will make a great movie (stupid not to make one), but the actual shooter gameplay offered nothing special, and of all the complaints of linear games, I don't get why this didn't get knocked for it. The only reason FFXIII gets knocked for being linear is cause it's an RPG... Though there are linear RPGs....

That was only dissapointing because of hype. As for personally dissapointing, maybe Zelda Spirit Tracks... first Zelda I had to make myself beat.

THE JACKEL

MJN SEIFER
03-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Dragon Ball Z: Legacey of Goku I was on a massive DBZ kick back then, and to be honest, I still kind of like it :p, and have played other games for it - some are pretty decent.

This game however... um, no thanks! You are as weak as anything, your attacks take forever to power up (and they can't hurt a fly if you don't) you can only fly for a short time, and you can't fight and fly at the same time (which every true DB fan wants to do.)

You can level up like in RPGs, but the fights are just unfairly uneven, by the time you have leveled up - the enemies are even more powerful. I don't mind leveling up - I love it. But in this game something like a dog can kill you in three hits, and you have no time to fight back because you have to charge your energy and you can't get away...

Rad Bromance
03-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Bayonetta

Bolivar
03-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Definitely Final Fantasy XII, felt like we had waited for forever for this game and it's nothing like the rest of the series at all.

I think it was after I fully beat FFT for the first time that FFXII really started growing on me, it's one of my favorite "games" of all time but definitely not one of my favorite Final Fantasy's.

~*~Celes~*~
03-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Dragon Rider. It's a PS2 game I picked up at Video Game Underground and well, it just sounds more interesting than it actually is :s

Fonzie
03-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Bayonetta

:mad2:

Aerith's Knight
03-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Return of the King. I loved the series in both book and film, but that game was more linear than FFXIII and far more boring. I've never been as disappointed with a game, except maybe C&C4, boy, was that a bummer.

Dreddz
03-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Bayonetta surpassed my expectations and I was hyping that game into the stratosphere since it got announced. How on earth could you have been disappointed?

Captain Maxx Power
03-24-2010, 01:34 AM
From now until the day I die, Final Fantasy 12 squarely holds this position. Coming in a very close second is Deus Ex 2. I can't think of any other game that has outright disappointed me in such a verbose manner to the point where I was gnawing at the walls with anger.

Zeldy
03-24-2010, 01:38 AM
Twilight Princess.

Fonzie
03-24-2010, 02:50 AM
Twilight Princess.

Yeah I also agree. Before playing it I was so hyped and then it turns out to just be sort of... boring perse. Took me around two months to actually getting around to completing it.

Rad Bromance
03-24-2010, 05:20 AM
Bayonetta surpassed my expectations and I was hyping that game into the stratosphere since it got announced. How on earth could you have been disappointed?
- Terrible story, terrible dialog.
- Same three music tracks repeated throughout the game.
- Sub-par visuals on an HD display (I played the 360 version).
- Way too easy thanks to the fact that you can slow mo everything at will, rendering enemies defenseless and removing all challenge from the game.

It was fun but next to other action games that it's extremely similar to, such as God of War and Devil May Cry, it's a joke.

I was terribly excited about it too. Ah well.

Aerith's Knight
03-24-2010, 12:42 PM
From now until the day I die, Final Fantasy 12 squarely holds this position.

Actually, yeah, this too. I mean, I always enjoyed final fantasy's, and now they come with a freaking MMO story game? It remains the only FF I started but never finished.

I Took the Red Pill
03-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Definitely Arc the Lad: End of Darkness. I thought Twilight of the Spirits was bitchin', but this was just atrocious.

Imperfectionist
03-24-2010, 03:14 PM
From now until the day I die, Final Fantasy 12 squarely holds this position.

Indeed. I would say X-2 but I never expected that to be good just from knowing the premise of it, and I barely played it anyway.

Also, I dunno is anyone's played Super Mario Bros: Bowser's Inside Story for the DS but it's a pile of poo. Like instead of just jumping on a goombas head, you have to actually battle it like FF style. And if I remember correctly, there's like a levelling up system for Mario and Luigi too. It was just crap.

ljkkjlcm9
03-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Also, I dunno is anyone's played Super Mario Bros: Bowser's Inside Story for the DS but it's a pile of poo. Like instead of just jumping on a goombas head, you have to actually battle it like FF style. And if I remember correctly, there's like a levelling up system for Mario and Luigi too. It was just crap.

You realize that game is part of the Mario RPG series.... right? That was a great game...

THE JACKEL

Imperfectionist
03-24-2010, 08:13 PM

You realize that game is part of the Mario RPG series.... right? That was a great game...

THE JACKAL

But I didn't like it :( I was expecting just your usual bashing some goombas and running and jumping inside Bowser, but it was just all weird and not Mario-like. I played for about an hour and then stopped cos it just didn't feel like I was playing Super Mario.

Rase
03-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Probably Wet. I expected a game that, while not fantastic, would have the style and right amount of absurd fun to be worth a play through (based on the demo). What I got was a game that got dull quickly, had a myriad of game design problems, and felt far too rushed. At least the Rockabilly soundtrack was good.

Slothy
03-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Probably Wet. I expected a game that, while not fantastic, would have the style and right amount of absurd fun to be worth a play through (based on the demo).

I'm surprised the demo even left you with expectations that high. Even the demo had a ton of gameplay problems, not the least of which being that I didn't find a single bit of it fun.

Rase
03-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Probably Wet. I expected a game that, while not fantastic, would have the style and right amount of absurd fun to be worth a play through (based on the demo).

I'm surprised the demo even left you with expectations that high. Even the demo had a ton of gameplay problems, not the least of which being that I didn't find a single bit of it fun.
Meh, guess I just didn't see them initially or something, or they become much more pronounced later on. I'm a pretty easy guy to please when it comes to action games and can overlook a decent amount of annoying crap for a good time, but Wet only gave me about an hour and a half of fun. Hooray for rentals.

*Devore*
03-24-2010, 09:59 PM
FFVIII- I don't like the way you have to junction magic to a character to make them stronger, cause it means that if you use a spell in a battle, your hurting the bad guys but also making yourself weaker.
Most of the monsters you face aren't very difficult to deal with, but every now and then they will hit you with an absolutly almighty foe who can kill you in two hit.
For the most part, I don't struggle in battles, but the foes usually have a lot of Hp and it takes ages to kill them so now I just spam the GF's. In other FF's, a summon was like my trump card, only to be used when I really needed it.
Theres also times in the story were characters survive attacks, even though in the videos you will see them getting blown up or stabbed in the chest.

bipper
03-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Spin the bottle. I married the girl, it didnt end well.

Breine
03-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Twilight Princess.

Yeah I also agree.

For real?

Twilight Princess is a wonderful game. What's not to like?

As for the topic I'm going to say Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness.

Slothy
03-25-2010, 02:56 AM
Twilight Princess.

Yeah I also agree.

For real?

Twilight Princess is a wonderful game. What's not to like?

Wolf form for one. It was a better game when it was called Ocarina of Time, but even that pales in comparison to Link to the Past and Link's Awakening.

Ouch!
03-25-2010, 06:28 PM
I'd say FFXIII, but I wasn't really excited enough about the game to be disappointed.

Kyros
03-25-2010, 08:13 PM
I really liked ToS, but I think I was disappointed in it at the same time since it was a shorter, easier, overall worse version of ToD2/ToE. The story pretty much followed an extremely similar plot too, which was even more lame.

Madonna
03-26-2010, 12:58 AM
With the exception of Dungeon Keeper, any game where Peter Molyneux is involved!

Skyblade
03-27-2010, 04:31 AM
Megaman Battle Network 4.

It earns this distinction by being the worst sequel to a good game ever. I enjoyed MMBN3 a lot, and BN4 fell short of it in every way. Plot, graphics, translation, battle system, customization, writing, and music were all completely horrible.

Not necessarily the worst game ever, but easily the biggest disappointment.