PDA

View Full Version : 90's music, dude!

Fonzie
03-23-2010, 12:41 AM
So, hey, you grew up around/through the 90's and thought that grunge was quite gnarley. You remember when MTV was swarmed with Nirvana, RHCP, Sublime, and all the rest! Name some of your favorite bands that were quite renown or became famous in the 90's!

I remember as a young chap watching the music video to Scar Tissue by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and just very much loving it. Back in those days at my Mother's house, MTV was on at least six hours out of the day. :p

Flying Mullet
03-23-2010, 12:49 AM
Ahh, back when MTV played music. Those were the days...

Bastian
03-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Tonight, Tonight was my fav video back then. Smashing Pumpkins still rock my socks.

Aerith's Knight
03-23-2010, 12:58 AM
I was born in 88'. But I rocked those two years man, oh yeah.

KentaRawr!
03-23-2010, 01:03 AM
90's, not 80's. :p

Fonzie
03-23-2010, 01:07 AM
I remember my mother driving whilst I sit in the back seat, heading towards the beach. The song was Heart-Shaped Box. :D

PuPu
03-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Alice in Chains, grunge is quite good.

Fonzie
03-23-2010, 01:11 AM

Like the coldesttt winteerrr gallleee

heaaaveeen beside(is this right?) you

PuPu
03-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Like the coldest winter chill
Heaven beside you

Also:

Feeeeeed my eeeeyyyyyyyessss

Fonzie
03-23-2010, 01:26 AM
Like the coldest winter chill
Heaven beside you

Also:

Feeeeeed my eeeeyyyyyyyessss

Gale sounds cooler.

Ohoh. :p

Shlup
03-23-2010, 02:59 AM
'90s Green Day! Woo! Rancid! Woooooo!

Jessweeee♪
03-23-2010, 03:01 AM
Filter :</>D!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS
GUN

Pheesh
03-23-2010, 04:40 AM
OMG, best thread ever. Lemme see;

Tool, Soundgarden, Blind Melon, Pumpkins, Rage Against the mother smurfing Machine, Stone Temple Pilots (before they sucked. Has anyone heard that new single at all? dear god T_T), Cake, Nirvana, Filter, Throwing Copper by Live (looove that album), Prodigy...

God I miss the 90's

NorthernChaosGod
03-23-2010, 05:02 AM

Alice in Chains is more metal than grunge, they just got lumped in with that lot because of location.

I never really paid much attention to when bands came out or released albums, it's largely inconsequential to me except for organizing.

Pheesh
03-23-2010, 05:04 AM

Alice in Chains is more metal than grunge, they just got lumped in with that lot because of location.

They like to call themselves that, and guitar does swing that way a bit, but Layne Staley did not have a metal voice, neither does the new guy.

NorthernChaosGod
03-23-2010, 08:28 AM

They like to call themselves that, and guitar does swing that way a bit, but Layne Staley did not have a metal voice, neither does the new guy.

They hung out on Headbanger's Ball and toured more with metal/rock acts such as Van Halen, Poison and Ozzy.

And what exactly is a metal voice? o_O I've heard everything from operatic singing to death growls in metal.

Pheesh
03-23-2010, 11:10 AM
If you have a grunge voice, then by default you shouldn't call your voice a metal voice, and Staley's voice wasn't really even as diverse as some other grunge singers.

They can tour with whoever they want, or call themselves whatever they want, genres are a very small/petty aspect of music at the end of the day. But the drumming is very grunge, the bass doesn't matter (unless he's playing some old school funk and I missed it), and although the guitar has metal traces, it doesn't do enough to classify the whole band as a metal band.

Aerith's Knight
03-23-2010, 11:55 AM
YouTube - Eiffel 65 - Blue (Da Ba Dee) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA52uNzx7Y4)

NorthernChaosGod
03-24-2010, 12:58 AM
If you have a grunge voice, then by default you shouldn't call your voice a metal voice, and Staley's voice wasn't really even as diverse as some other grunge singers.

They can tour with whoever they want, or call themselves whatever they want, genres are a very small/petty aspect of music at the end of the day. But the drumming is very grunge, the bass doesn't matter (unless he's playing some old school funk and I missed it), and although the guitar has metal traces, it doesn't do enough to classify the whole band as a metal band.

Wtf is a grunge voice?

Shiny
03-24-2010, 01:00 AM
The only thing I watched on MTV back in the dizz-aye was that show with the dinosaurs and the baby would always yell, "Not the mama!"

Moon Rabbits
03-24-2010, 01:38 AM
Garbage, Veruca Salt, Matthew Good Band, Smashing Pumpkins, Marilyn Manson, BRITNEY SPEAAAAAAAAAAAARS.

G13
03-24-2010, 01:52 AM
The only thing I watched on MTV back in the dizz-aye was that show with the dinosaurs and the baby would always yell, "Not the mama!"

You mean Dinosaurs? xD

Foo Fighters man! Everlong is still a badass song! Incubus, Sublime, No Doubt, Nirvana, Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, to name a few. There was a Vertical Horizon song I used to look forward to, Everything You Want I think.

themagicroundabout
03-24-2010, 06:34 AM
scatman john... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUWBAy3bATI)

Pheesh
03-24-2010, 06:59 AM
Foo Fighters man! Everlong is still a badass song! Incubus, Sublime, No Doubt, Nirvana, Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, to name a few. There was a Vertical Horizon song I used to look forward to, Everything You Want I think.

I was thinking of addding incubus...but do they really get to be counted? I mean, I know they started in the 90's. Meh, I don't know, it's probably because my favourite album came out in the 2000's.

Wtf is a grunge voice?

Basically a throaty hard rock voice, but a bit more trashy. I think Cornell would be on one end of the spectrum of how close it gets to being a true rock voice, and on the other end you'd have Cobain, who defined the trashy sounding voice (possibly along with axl, even though Gunners music puts them out of the running of being a real grunge band). In the middle you'd stick guys like Weiland, Hoon, Staley (maybe cantrell, because his solo stuff did have a similar grungey sound...but his harmonies are all pretty, so it's a tough one) etc.

NorthernChaosGod
03-24-2010, 09:43 AM

You mean Dinosaurs? xD
I fucking loved that show! Man, I was talking to my mom about it just last week too.

Wtf is a grunge voice?

Basically a throaty hard rock voice, but a bit more trashy. I think Cornell would be on one end of the spectrum of how close it gets to being a true rock voice, and on the other end you'd have Cobain, who defined the trashy sounding voice (possibly along with axl, even though Gunners music puts them out of the running of being a real grunge band). In the middle you'd stick guys like Weiland, Hoon, Staley (maybe cantrell, because his solo stuff did have a similar grungey sound...but his harmonies are all pretty, so it's a tough one) etc.
I don't see it. I'm still going to go with their Wiki classification and who they were actually associated with through music and not just location.

Pheesh
03-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Fairy Nuff. Like I said before, genre really is a small part of music at the end of the day.

Flying Mullet
03-24-2010, 01:46 PM
I was going to see what 90's songs come up in my most listened to list on last.fm, but it's all <i>A Tribe Called Quest</i>, so that didn't help much.

G13
03-24-2010, 02:00 PM

I was thinking of addding incubus...but do they really get to be counted? I mean, I know they started in the 90's. Meh, I don't know, it's probably because my favourite album came out in the 2000's.

Fungus Amongus came out in '95. I'm not entirely sure but I think that constitutes as 90's music. :p

You mean Dinosaurs? xD
I smurfing loved that show! Man, I was talking to my mom about it just last week too.

Hell yeah bro! My friend let me borrow his first season boxset a while back. God that brought back good memories.

Pheesh
03-24-2010, 02:08 PM

Fungus Amongus came out in '95. I'm not entirely sure but I think that constitutes as 90's music. :p

Yeeah, I know. I won't argue. I'm just one of those conformists who listens to Make Yourself and as I said; Morning View is my favourite album and it came out in 2001.

G13
03-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Those are both great albums. I used to listen to Morning View when I played Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II.

Flying Mullet
03-24-2010, 02:36 PM
One of my favorite albums of all time came from the 90s, RHCP's <i>Blood Sugar Sex Magik</i>.

Also, I was listening to one of my mix CDs this morning and some 311 came on, which I also enjoy.

Rodarian
03-24-2010, 08:02 PM
The Ray of Light by Madonna is my favorite. The songs were serene for me and ambient without any overtly poppy music.. the fav song in the song was Nothing Really Matters.... Plus its video was nicely executed...

NorthernChaosGod
03-24-2010, 08:48 PM

You mean Dinosaurs? xD
I smurfing loved that show! Man, I was talking to my mom about it just last week too.

Hell yeah bro! My friend let me borrow his first season boxset a while back. God that brought back good memories.
I'm totally going to pirate that show.

Inferno
03-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Good old Korn rocked !

SuperMillionaire
03-27-2010, 04:31 AM
I love 90s music!