PDA

View Full Version : Best General Square game?

Goldenboko
03-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Of all the games that don't belong in the forums and thus belong here, which do you feel is the best? I haven't played many of them, however Chrono Trigger was amazing and I doubt they topped it! I especially love it's great use of New Game Plus, proof that no game has an excuse not to have no game plus in it!

VeloZer0
03-23-2010, 02:26 AM
Chrono Trigger, no contest.

nik0tine
03-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Xenogears tops Chrono Trigger in my opinion.

VeloZer0
03-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Xenogears was crippled by disk two. Had they actually put the same effort into disk two as they did on disk one then it would certainly rise above CT. Which is really a shame.

P4ine
03-23-2010, 08:07 PM
final fantasy x-2 is great i wish ther was x-3 it would top all the other se games

Sephiroth
03-23-2010, 08:31 PM
I. Kingdom Hearts
II. Chrono Trigger
III. Secret of Mana

champagne supernova
03-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Vagrant Story. My traditional stock answer.

~*~Celes~*~
03-23-2010, 10:54 PM
To be honest, I haven't been very experimental with S-E general games, shame on me :( But, so far, I've loved Kingdom Hearts, Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross, so out of those three, I'd pick Chrono Trigger. Mainly because that's the only one I've played all the way through :D But also because Chrono Cross was too slow-paced for me and Kingdom Hearts...Well, that one comes in second place to me. It's very close to tying with Chrono Trigger, but I don't like the whole...Gummi ship thing, really :/

bipper
03-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Kingdom Hearts
Chrono Trigger
Xenogears

All tied at number 1.

Rad Racer is close. It was timeless fun when I was a kid.

Wolf Kanno
03-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Chrono Trigger and Xenogears easily. Vagrant Story and Secret of Mana are up there as well. :cool:

EDITGA: How could I forget The World Ends With You? That's also an awesome game as well as the Front Mission series and Threads of Fate. Man I miss the days when Square made competent non-FFs games.

Jessweeee♪
03-24-2010, 03:27 AM
My personal favorite is Threads of Fate, but that's more of it being a good childhood memory xD

I guess of the ones I've played I'd say TWEWY!

black orb
03-24-2010, 05:11 PM
>>> Chrono Trigger..:luca:

Mercen-X
03-24-2010, 05:56 PM
I've never heard of General Square. When they fire up?

As for Squaresoft... my first experience was with FF7 and I think I'm pretty much stuck there. I mean, I got hooked on Square games ever since and I own plenty, but (despite no longer playing it) 7'll always have a very special (gay :tongue:) place in my heart.

Slothy
03-24-2010, 09:33 PM
I'll have to say Chrono Trigger followed by probably Parasite Eve. I have to say that I've never played Xenogears or Vagrant Story though, so if they ever see release on the US PSN I may change that answer.

Shotgunnova
03-25-2010, 11:06 AM
My three faves are FFT, Chrono Cross, and Xenogears. Holy trinity right thar.

JKTrix
03-25-2010, 11:47 PM
I've barely played any of the games but I'll say Front Mission because I just looooooooooooooove giant robots. Though Dragon Quest 5 is the only Squenix game to actually crack into my 'favourite games ever' list.

qwertysaur
03-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Secret of Mana is <3

leader of mortals
03-30-2010, 01:20 AM
Chrono Trigger and Radiata Stories.

FFIX Choco Boy
03-30-2010, 02:31 AM
Chrono Cross, KH 1 and 2, and Parasite Eve(Which will forever be better than Resident Evil) for non FFs, FFX, FFVII, and FFIX for final fantasies included. Still wanna try Chrono Trigger, Chocobo's Dungeon, Xenogears, and Secret of Mana though.

Sephiroth
03-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Still wanna try Chrono Trigger, Chocobo's Dungeon, Xenogears, and Secret of Mana though.

You really should try it.

Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana are better than most of the Final Fantasys. Most of them, not all.

Well, that's just my opinion.

Bolivar
04-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Man I miss the days when Square made competent FFs games.

Fixed.

And I vote Chrono Trigger!!!

edit: in light of JKTrix's comment, my vote goes to Dragon Quest VIII. Naturally, as it's the best JRPG ever made.

Hot Shot
04-02-2010, 07:44 AM
I'd go with CT, Vagrant Story and KH

Flying Arrow
04-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm partial to Final Fantasies VII, XII, and Chrono Trigger.

Kuroshima
04-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Parasite Eve.

ANGRYWOLF
04-03-2010, 03:42 AM
I still don't understand why Square shut down those independent player chrono projects..when it doesn't seem they're interested in making a new chrono game.oh well...:mad2:

Slothy
04-03-2010, 01:05 PM
I still don't understand why Square shut down those independent player chrono projects..when it doesn't seem they're interested in making a new chrono game.oh well...:mad2:

Because they'd essentially be giving up some amount of control over the Chrono name if they let that happen. They'd be running the risk of fans not only making a bad game that tarnishes the Chrono name, or coming up with ideas that Square can no longer use without paying these people which I doubt they want to do if they ever do get around to making another game. And whether they ever make a new one or not, they can certainly make a small mint on remakes, and rightfully don't want any random group of people on the internet messing with their top franchises.

asukaevaunit02
04-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana are better than most of the Final Fantasys. Most of them, not all.

Well put! Secret of Mana is classic, very enjoyable countless times.

and Final Fantasy IX was also a good effort.

ANGRYWOLF
04-05-2010, 12:21 AM

Because they'd essentially be giving up some amount of control over the Chrono name if they let that happen. They'd be running the risk of fans not only making a bad game that tarnishes the Chrono name, or coming up with ideas that Square can no longer use without paying these people which I doubt they want to do if they ever do get around to making another game. And whether they ever make a new one or not, they can certainly make a small mint on remakes, and rightfully don't want any random group of people on the internet messing with their top franchises.

I question whether Square feels anything outside of FF and Dragon Quest games are viable franchises.It seems clear to me Square feels their other franchises they own rights to..Mana, Ogre Battle, Chrono and others aren't viable.
They're just too silly to sell those franchises.
It seems obvious to me they should sell the rights to those franchises and let others develope chrono and the other games they aren't interested in developing.:mad2:

Kyros
04-07-2010, 09:38 AM

I'm fine with it where it is already. Chrono Trigger was tons better than Cross, which is good but nothing spectacular. Nobody I know ever even thinks of Chrono Cross when thinking of good games. I can see why since when people think of what came out around that time they think of Legend of Dragoon, which is a billion times better. There's no reason to continue this trend and make the next one even worse.

VeloZer0
04-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Everyone I know considers Crono Cross to be an amazing game, and way better than LoD. It is a little lacking when considered as a direct sequel to Chrono Trigger, but if you think of it more as a game inspired by CT (such as the Final Fantasy titles all are) it allows it to shine on it's own merits.

I question whether Square feels anything outside of FF and Dragon Quest games are viable franchises.It seems clear to me Square feels their other franchises they own rights to..Mana, Ogre Battle, Chrono and others aren't viable.
Taking a quick look at the sales of these other titles compared to FF and DQ games and you can see why. Without the name recognition to move copies they would have to skimp on the development budget to make it happen.

Kyros
04-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I've never met anyone that's considered CC to be near as good as LoD. Not to mention I hate CC for not giving me Rosaly when she was the last character I needed, but that was obviously after I'd beaten the game at least twice (though only once for full playthrough). I was ready to get that last person, beat the game, then beat the game again with Serge solo to see what the ending was but w/e.

I would put PE and CT as two of the best, and I've heard Xenogears is awesome, but I've never played it.

Slothy
04-07-2010, 09:48 PM
I've never met anyone that's considered CC to be near as good as LoD.

I've talked to a lot of different people about a lot of different RPG's over the years, but never have I met anyone who liked LoD more than CC. Not to say that CC is a great game because it's not. At best CC could be seen as a decent RPG on it's own merits. It's got it's own unique style, a unique if somewhat annoying battle system, a great soundtrack and a decent story as I recall. LoD was kind of fun for a bit, but it was annoyingly grind happy and relied on more RPG cliches and generic characters than I care to see in one game. It was good for an RPG that came out of nowhere from a developer not known for anything in the genre, but certainly wasn't a better game than CC.

crazybayman
04-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Dragon Quest 4 and 8.

Polnareff
04-11-2010, 10:08 PM
IMO it's these three:

1. Brave Fencer Musashi
2. Parasite Eve 2
3. Front Mission

IMO of course.

EDIT: You know what? I just remembered Front Mission. Awesome games. I still have the first and third ones.

Skyblade
04-14-2010, 03:51 PM
1. Chrono Trigger. The game that almost definitively tops my "best game ever" list is definitely assured top billing.
2. Secret of Mana. Despite the other games in the series that I have played being awful, SoM was a really excellent game that they need to rerelease on the DS rather than make horrible sequels to.
3. Kingdom Hearts. I or II, doesn't really matter. Both good games, each had different points it excelled at.

Mo-Nercy
04-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Chrono Trigger for me too. In terms of replay value, it's got bucketloads. I always find myself forgetting an ending and replaying it to remind myself.

Dr. Acula
04-16-2010, 12:58 AM
Definitely Chrono Trigger, though Secret of Mana and the KH games are up there.