PDA

View Full Version : *facepalm*

Raistlin
03-23-2010, 01:20 AM
These threads always make for entertaining stories: so what was the dumbest thing(s) you've ever done in a video game? Something that made you pause and then think "wow, I'm retarded!"

I don't think I'll ever be able to beat the story of when a friend and I were playing the NES Ninja Turtles game and spent like 30-40 minutes trying to pass this stupid hole in the ground on the second level of one area... and then one of us had the brilliant idea of just trying to walk across it.

In RPGs, I've also been given the direction to "go west to ______" and then wandered off due east and wondered why I couldn't find anything. This has happened a disturbingly high number of times, though I've never had a problem with such directions in real life.

Anyway, share some stories.

Momiji
03-23-2010, 01:25 AM
I actually spent a ton of time as a kid finding the truck in Pokémon Red. I actually found it on my own, without even knowing about it-- it had all stemmed from 'what happens if I were to skip the S.S. Anne and surf there later? I even bought Pokémon Blue and a link cable so I could see for myself.

Crop
03-23-2010, 02:43 AM
I don't think I'll ever be able to beat the story of when a friend and I were playing the NES Ninja Turtles game and spent like 30-40 minutes trying to pass this stupid hole in the ground on the second level of one area... and then one of us had the brilliant idea of just trying to walk across it.

AVGN does that. "Shredder's my ass and Splinter's my balls!"

Stupidest thing? Trying to revive Aeris.

The Man
03-23-2010, 02:45 AM
In RPGs, I've also been given the direction to "go west to ______" and then wandered off due east and wondered why I couldn't find anything. This has happened a disturbingly high number of times, though I've never had a problem with such directions in real life. I did that IRL once. While attempting to drive some friends to their destination. It took like forty minutes before I realised it.

Next to that, I can't think of anything I've done in any game ever that compares.

Unbreakable Will
03-23-2010, 07:23 PM
In Oblivion during one of the main quests you are supposed to try and find the Amulet of Kings for Martin Septim. One of the Dawn guys takes all your gear while you're being 'initiated', then you have to steal a book. Well, turns out that no matter what you do they will know you stole the book. I killed everyone and walked out without my stuff and then wondered where my :bou::bou::bou::bou: had gone. (I later backtracked and found that the guy who took my stuff fell down a side of a cliff/thing and I couldnt get close enough to search him) thank god I didnt have the auto save on.

Agent Proto
03-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Well, I have several facepalm moments. This one time, in Tales of the Abyss, I think that was the game, I was searching all over for this one place. I looked everywhere, but I kept getting lost. So, it was like later on in the day, I kinda stumbled into the place without even realising it. :p

Jessweeee♪
03-24-2010, 12:40 AM
I can't tell you how many times I just walked straight into that first goomba on Super Mario Bros.

~*~Celes~*~
03-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Similar to Will's story, I've had so many "go west" type things in Morrowind and I always ended up getting lost. I would give up and wander off to do random things, only to stumble across the place I need to go anyway completely by accident. -.o

Momiji
03-24-2010, 01:18 AM
I can't tell you how many times I just walked straight into that first goomba on Super Mario Bros.

I don't know why, but I always forget about that one. The first time I play, I'll always run into him.

I wonder if I'm subconsciously doing it on purpose!

Zeldy
03-24-2010, 01:23 AM
My brother says watching me play a videogame is the must frustrating thing ever and he simply can't stand it; "No, you hit it when it's just gone to attack you - no, amy, no don't just WALK into it, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" and this is when I kick him out of my room!

I was on Call of Duty before, and for some reason I tried to jump on top of some crates, like I was PERSISTENTLY jumping to get there, 'till someone came up behind me and killed me with a quick slash of their knife. I was rather embarrassed. I must have looked delusional.

Momiji
03-24-2010, 01:29 AM
It's always funny to catch someone from behind doing weird/stupid stuff on Call of Duty. Slashing them is too ordinary though.

I plant claymores right behind them. :cool:

Freya
03-24-2010, 02:30 AM
I do the whole go the wrong way thing all the time. Even with minimaps I some how end up on the wrong way.

Aerith's Knight
03-24-2010, 02:35 AM
I regularly play 80% of an entire game, get stuck, consult a FAQ and it turns out that I haven't used one of the most basic functions.

My thought is what makes it stupid:

"Ooooh... Well, that would've made it easier to *insert hard things*."

Momiji
03-24-2010, 02:38 AM
I have a really bad habit of restarting a shmup when I die on the first stage. It's totally bad practice to do that.

...it's a good thing I'm not putting in a quarter each time, or I'd be broke beyond broke.

Agent Proto
03-24-2010, 02:41 AM
I remember that when I was playing Wild ARMs 2, I was near the end of the game and I somehow got myself stuck on the worldmap and I needed an important item which I didn't have to get through. At the time, I was like, "WAT, I'M STUCK? SCREW THIS GAME" and I never got around to completing it because I couldn't get unstuck. lol that was like 9 years ago too.

Goldenboko
03-24-2010, 02:52 AM
I actually spent a ton of time as a kid finding the truck in Pokémon Red. I actually found it on my own, without even knowing about it-- it had all stemmed from 'what happens if I were to skip the S.S. Anne and surf there later? I even bought Pokémon Blue and a link cable so I could see for myself.

I did this myself as well, it wasn't even purposeful! I sucked my first playthrough and lost so the S.S. Anne never sailed away. I returned with my... Lapras I believe, and searched around following a Mew theory. Tried turning the game off and using Strength on the truck for Mew, obviously didn't work, oh the memories :jess:

I have a hard time following directions and maps in games... as well as real life. :eep:

Lawr
03-24-2010, 03:12 AM
I remember one time I was farming for gil (loot) in FFXII and I had collected 99 of some item you get from these undead enemies. I went to the store and had to sell them one by one, until I had about 12 left, and I pressed up on the d-pad and it went up by increments of 10.

I was quite furious with myself! :jess:

NorthernChaosGod
03-24-2010, 08:48 AM
I remember one time I was farming for gil (loot) in FFXII and I had collected 99 of some item you get from these undead enemies. I went to the store and had to sell them one by one, until I had about 12 left, and I pressed up on the d-pad and it went up by increments of 10.

I was quite furious with myself! :jess:

Duuuuuude, this same thing has happened to me in multiple games when I was but a wee lad. I mean, I played the whole game doing that until I figured out that was even possible, and then I checked every game for it.

demondude
03-24-2010, 11:21 PM
My thought is what makes it stupid:

"Ooooh... Well, that would've made it easier to *insert hard things*."

:jess:

Iceglow
03-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Imho the worst stupid things to do are the ones where it's a multiplayer co-op game and your friends see it...

In Halo ODST during the mission where the entire squad is together and you're flying through the underground tunnels in the banshees I was playing with Psy and DK and well, I got lost... They both died and could see on my follow cam where I had to go to get them to respawn and to advance the mission and were yelling at me to go there but I got confused by them giving me contradicting orders, in the end they were humming the benny hill theme at my expense. I eventually landed where they told me to much to their comedic relief as I professed to having been blonde as a child and still 15+ years later getting blonde moments.

Bad Wolf
03-28-2010, 04:39 PM
I was playing Resident Evil 4 one time, and I went to buy something from the merchant. Well, when I went to talk to him, I accidentally bumped the R1 button. Well, I ended up shooting him. Which sucked, because I actually wanted to buy something from him. There was much cursing.

Raistlin
04-07-2010, 06:00 AM
So just had another *facepalm* moment tonight. Shlup, Doomgaze, and I were playing Ultima Online on a free shard and were trying to get through the Britain sewers to the Lost Lands despite none of us having done any of that crap in years. So we came to what we thought was a dead end; the ledge we were on just stopped, though there was a path underneath. So we walked all the way around to the other side to see if that was the way through, but it dead-ended as well.

We ended up going back to the original spot, and I realized you can Teleport from the ledge to the path below. So I ran back to get Doomy and Shlup, and then ran back to the ledge... when I just walked off of it onto the path below. *sigh*

Bastian
04-07-2010, 06:11 AM
Pretty much what AK said. I ALWAYS manage to forget about a core piece of the gameplay somehow, and then get stuck when it becomes necessary because I didn't remember about it all through the game to begin with.

Case in point: The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night. There's an attack that sends the enemy flying up in the air and then you can jump and easily kill it. I forgot about this. I then halfway through the game encountered enemies that can ONLY be defeated that way. After spending an hour of dying nearly instantly a million times I consulted a walkthrough that said to do that special attack . . . and I had no idea what it was talking about at first and then when I finally remembered I was like *facepalm* "OMG! This game would have been so much easier had I remembered about that! Argh!"

qwertysaur
04-07-2010, 06:15 AM
I was playing infinite undiscovery and I killed my entire party in one hit with a mine cart.

Unbreakable Will
04-07-2010, 06:29 AM
I was playing infinite undiscovery and I killed my entire party in one hit with a mine cart.
Dude, that sucks ultra-Hoover style. While playing Left 4 Dead 2 I compltely forgot I had a melee weapon on me when i was out of shells (while reloading) so I would load a shell, shoot, rinse repeat. It worked but I ended up losing about 25 health in the process. Then I looked and saw I had a fucking katana...>>

Vermachtnis
04-07-2010, 06:29 AM
I walk off cliffs all the time. If I'm playing a game and they don't put up a force field I'm gonna end up going off a cliff at some point or another. Even if they do end up stopping you from just walking off, I'm taking a player character is going to fall off something at some point in a game. Take Sakura Wars for instant, we're fighting on top of a skyscraper and we end up surrounding the guy and yet one character is a little to close to edge and he end up knocking her off. And here's the thing, it's not Rosita who has the highest range and can get away from it, no she's in the middle of the roof, it's Subaru who fights with fans who was standing at the edge of the skyscraper.

But that still doesn't beat the time in Disgaea where I had Flonne take out the rest of her team with an ill placed Mega Star.

Quindiana Jones
04-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Every game has a cliff thing that you can walk off and die. I have fallen off ALL of them. I get curious and want to find out if there's anything over the edge, and want to see how far I can go before falling. Then that line gets past and I start slowly slipping down....

Naturally, I panic and start desperately leaping to get back up but...no such luck. xD

On a slightly sadder note, I have Yu Gi Oh on the DS. I had got my enemy down to 700 Life Points. Then it was his turn. I can't remember how, but he then summoned 5 uber-monsters in one turn. He destroys all 3 of my monsters in his go, I manage to save myself Battle Damage from another attack and then take 2500 damage from the fifth. Then it's my turn. I draw a monster card: the only one in my hand. I do the only thing I think is possible, and Set him in Defence position. Then I remember that the card has 800 Attack Points and is able to attack directly. Bugger.

Madame Adequate
04-07-2010, 10:17 AM
In Breath of Fire 3, when you're in Momo's tower, there is a trapped floor. If you walk on it, it triggers, and you fall down a couple of floors. You must pass this in order to progress. There are also some twirly light things IIRC and I presumed messing with those changed whether the floor would fall or not.

After some hours of trying, I tried walking (As opposed to running), and voila.

Raistlin
04-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Related to what I put in the OP, last night in UO Doomy was going to bring me a rune. He asked where I was; I told him in the north-east inn in Britain. He went there and asked "Where are you again?"

Yeah, it was the north-west inn. *sigh*