PDA

View Full Version : Who/what introduced you to the Final Fantasy series?

Momiji
03-23-2010, 02:21 AM
For me, I had never had any interest in the series until I played Kingdom Hearts. Then I came across Final Fantasy X and tried it out. I enjoyed it a lot. I ended up playing different Final Fantasy games throughout that year and I ended up falling in love with the series.

What about you?

Raistlin
03-23-2010, 02:28 AM
A friend of mine in 5th or 6th grade bought it when it first game out. I watched him play when he was on disc 3 (just screwing around doing side stuff) and thought it looked cool, so got it for myself.

PeneloRatsbane
03-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Me and My friend went to get a Pizza from the highstreet near where we live, and we picked up FFVIII from the blockbusters, we played as much as we could and then were hooked

Goldenboko
03-23-2010, 10:18 PM
A friend of mine Luther, a long, long time ago. I think he introduced me to RPGs. I remember getting far in disc 1 of FFIX like, 10 times xD

crono_logical
03-23-2010, 11:39 PM
It's so long ago I can't even remember if it was FF7 (via PC version) or FF6 (via ROM) I saw first :p I do remember Chrono Trigger being the next RPG I played after those two though :p

Flying Mullet
03-23-2010, 11:50 PM
I saw the box for Final Fantasy at the local video store and it looked interesting so I rented it.

VeloZer0
03-24-2010, 01:21 AM
I went to visit my friend across the country and he had a PS1 and a copy of FFVII. After I came back I started to save money to buy a PlayStation, only to be extremely happy when they released it for PC.

hhr1dluv
03-24-2010, 02:07 AM
My story is exactly the same as Momiji's. :freak:

Jessweeee♪
03-24-2010, 03:30 AM
My uncle bought FFVIII and FFVII when I was about eight years old. I remembered watching him play FFVIII and thinking it was really neat. My gaming experience up to that point included Sonic, Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, and Gex, so I was pretty amazed by it. It was some time before I'd actually play it, though.

~*~Celes~*~
03-24-2010, 05:06 AM
I think I first became interested when I saw Final Fantasy X at Blockbuster and played it for a bit, got stuck, then had to give the game back. Sometime after that, I found IV-VI SNES roms and they just grew my love for FF.

MJN SEIFER
03-25-2010, 05:06 PM
I had vaguely known of the FF series as a kid - some school mates would chat about it sometimes, but they where all Nes/Snes games, and I never owned any of those consoles. So it passed me by.

Years later I became the owner of a PlayStation and began collecting PSX Related books and magazines - I eventually got a hold of a book (which I have now lost :mad2:) which was a "Cheats Tips and Tricks" book - it also contained WalkThroughs of various games, one of which was Final Fantasy VII.

I kept reading the walkthrough it just seamed like such an iteresting game, and from what I could see the storyline looked cool (the book gave just the right amount away so nothing was spoiled, but it advertized the game perfectly - I dug up an old Magazine (also lost, and it's name escapes me) and sore an article for FFVII (which had not yet been completed at the time of that Magazine's publishing) I read up on the characters, and the information of the game and was mesmorized by the graphics (this was nothing to compare to seeing them in person though.) I searched high and low to find it, and I eventually got it. It as you all know became my Favorite FF - I then got VIII, was a little critical of it at first because I was hyped up on VII - but soon learned to love it. I then continued to get FF games and I am now a fan. With VII and VIII still holding top positions.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally, Nintendo Power's two-issue coverage of FFVI. But what got me to actually play one of the games was GameFan's ridiculous 100 and "100+" scores for FFVII. I almost miss that kind of innocent, zealous enthusiasm in games journalism.

bipper
03-25-2010, 07:57 PM
I saw the box for Final Fantasy at the local video store and it looked interesting so I rented it.

I was 7.

Bolivar
03-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally, Nintendo Power's two-issue coverage of FFVI. But what got me to actually play one of the games was GameFan's ridiculous 100 and "100+" scores for FFVII. I almost miss that kind of innocent, zealous enthusiasm in games journalism.

I know what you mean, I used to just go to the publications aisle when my mom took us to the supermarket and plop down on the floor with my brother and read gaming magazines, great times that will never come back with the cynical milieu of gaming blogs like kotaku and such *grrrr*

My friend Matt was a huge gamer growing up with all consoles; I only had a Genesis and we used to talk about our favorite RPG's we were playing at the moment, which was a lot since it was Sega Channel's heydey. He had NES/SNES too and was into FF. I got a PlayStation a little after he did and he insisted that I HAD to play FFVII, so I borrowed it from him while he was getting into FFTactics and it's been a done deal ever since!

Rase
03-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Final Fantasy IV was the second game I played (after Super Mario World). I was around 5 at the time, but it was different enough from any other SNES game I played that I kept plugging through it despite not really understanding the mechanics. A couple years later I tried again and thoroughly enjoyed the story and game from start to finish.

Vermachtnis
03-25-2010, 09:58 PM
My Maw-maw got a Super Nintendo with Link to the Past and Mystic Quest. So I played that before and after school before I had to go home.

P4ine
03-26-2010, 11:53 AM
My Maw-maw got a Super Nintendo with Link to the Past and Mystic Quest. So I played that before and after school before I had to go home.
Hopefully ALTTP too? :D

To topic, my brother was introduced by a friend of his and my brother then introduced me to my very first RPG: The legend of Dragoon. For all who don't know this game, seriously, if you like FF, you'll LOVE this game.

So after TLOD he got me FFX for Christmas, and that's when everything began. :D

Wolf Kanno
03-26-2010, 06:41 PM
I had an RPG fan for a friend who tried to get me into his interests. He lent me FFVI and I hated it cause I found the menu based system to be boring from years of growing up on side-scroller beat em ups and Fighting games. I was an arcade brat, if I wasn't dying ever few seconds and trying to make the most of my quarters the game wasn't worth my time.

So he tried another approach and lent me Secret of Mana which was more of the type I played before. The combat was solid but what really got me was the story. I never imagined a game could have a real story attached to it with good characters that went beyond "save X from Z".

I ended up buying his copy of SoM and then asked to borrow VI again and give it a try. I fell in love with the games story which was unlike anything I'd seen at the time. I found FFII(IV) later and my fate was sealed from there. :love:

Rad Bromance
03-27-2010, 05:31 PM
In Janurary of 1998, my aunt had just gotten a ton of money for something, I can't remember what (like $500,000 or something close to that) so she was blowing it all on stupid stuff, like a projection screen television in every room, huge stereo systems to go with them, etc. She bought all three consoles (PlayStation, N64, and a Sega Saturn) and would just buy random games here and there she saw and gave them to us to play. One of those games was Final Fantasy VII. My sister began playing it, I didn't really understand it and had never seen a game like it; it looked incredibly boring. So anyway she got to a boss that she couldn't beat (Air Buster, lol) and she told me to try beating it, since I "played video games way more than her", and I beat him on my first try, and I found it fun. I was intrigued.

Well when she finally stopped playing I started my own new game and played it all the way through and loved every minute of it. It's still probably my favorite game ever, terrible graphics and all. Then I borrowed my friend's copy of FFIII (VI) for SNES and played it, and loved it. Then I've just bought and played every one when it's been released since, and loved them all. :D

Rantz
03-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Got a PSX from my cousin along with FFIX and some other games, he was moving away or something and couldn't keep it. I just watched my brother play it at first, but later decided to try it myself. Fell in love with the atmosphere and the exploration aspect first, I think.

black orb
03-27-2010, 06:37 PM
>>> I picked FF1 randomly at a flea market (thanks flea market)..:luca:

Flying Mullet
03-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Got a PSX from my cousin...
I'm surprised your cousin imported a PSX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_%28DVR%29). :p

Jiro
04-04-2010, 01:54 PM
I remember thinking "that name is familiar" the first time I saw a copy of VII so I'm still holding to the idea that I played VI on a Snes when I was visiting my sister.

qwertysaur
04-04-2010, 09:26 PM
I started with I on the NES when I was really young . I used to think that the Wizards in the Marsh cave were the hardest battle and was constantly restarting my file :p

No.78
04-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Games magazines. =\

The first I heard of it was from a Playstation Magazine with a review of FFVIII, and I thought it looked really cool. I had a demo disc with the intro movie and it captivated me... My first FF was actually IX, though.

The very last FF I mananged to own (besides XIII) was in fact VIII, the first one I saw. Needless to say, I was actually kind of let down. The game didn't seem to match the mystification of the intro movie, and even though I love time travel stories it just isn't meeting my expectations. Maybe I'm being harsh because of my levelling issue, but whatever. Maybe I should reserve judgement 'till after I finish it..

Um, but yeah. It was game magazines.

Omni-Odin
04-20-2010, 07:23 PM
I got hooked by a buddy of mine. He was the little brother of one of my brother's friends. He wasn't the most popular kid and we didn't have much in common, but regardless, when my bro went to hang out with his, I would just follow along.

We didn't do much but play videogames together, and one day he was giving me a list of his favorites when FFVII came up as his #1 all time. So he suggested I play X at his house and that was that. I beat that in no time, then I bought VII and it was really over.

Hot Shot
04-20-2010, 10:30 PM
My brother's friend (who was, and most definately still is, a massive gamer and FF fan) lent my brother a copy of FF VII. My brother didn't take to FF as quickly as I did, so I played a lot of it and fell in love with the series. Me and both of my brothers love the games but I probably like them the most (I've played/completed more FF games than them)

oddler
04-20-2010, 10:33 PM
My neighbor. I think I was 8 when I borrowed it and played it for the first time.

Pretty sure I never gave it back. :evilking:

Edit: That's not a smilie anymore? D'oh! Oh, and I guess I should mention it was FF I for NES.

LunarWeaver
04-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Cousin showed off VII at various save points and ruined much for me. All the same, what I saw was nice and asked for my own copy from my mommy. But of course she didn't pull through and it was up to Santa to give me the game :mad2: smurf you, mom.

Vivisteiner
04-21-2010, 12:44 PM
^lol.

I was in a shop with my bro looking to buy a PS1 game (my gaming obsession was starting to hit its prime). I saw FFIX on the shelf. My bro said his friend said that Final Fantasy games were good, so we got it. At first I was excited to play it, but I was a kid and I couldn't find the Ice Cavern in the game. I got bored and stopped.

A while later, during a period of boredom, me and my bro played through it again together from the beginning (this time managing to find the easily locatable ice cavern). The process was drawn out over months, but we eventually completed the game. My bro thought it was alright, I thought it was pretty good.

Life moved on, I played more games etc. But about 6 months later I had the urge to replay it again. My bro didn't want to do that, so I did it on my own. And that's when the obsession began. :)

ljkkjlcm9
04-21-2010, 03:26 PM
My mother bought FF1 for the NES when I was young, like 5/6. My brothers, my mother and I would sit down and play through together. There were 4 characters, and 4 of us playing, so each character was one of us. I was the fighter, and since then, when my character would consistently be the sole survivor and such, I have always favored the fighting classes.

THE JACKEL

Hollycat
04-21-2010, 03:37 PM
i was introduced to ff1 and 2 by my friend jason and later saw him witha rented 10, so i played 4

Hellsnextboss
04-21-2010, 09:06 PM
My father introduced it to me apparently. I was too young to remember.

Levian
04-21-2010, 09:15 PM
In 1997 I saw a commercial on TV for a game unlike any other game I had played before. I decided I wanted it for christmas and that's how it went.

Hollycat
04-21-2010, 09:56 PM
acctualy i was born in a ff game

Loony BoB
04-22-2010, 04:30 PM
A friend of my neighbour.

Evastio
04-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Final Fantasy IV was the second game I played (after Super Mario World).
Creepy. That's the exact same way it was for me. Well, if only SNES games are considered anyways since I also had a Famicom.

Anyways, when I first played it, I had no experience with RPG's whatsoever. But I caught on quite quickly (though I still don't understand to this day how Kain can jump on Sword Rats without taking any damage). Though the whole "battling by choosing commands on a menu" idea seemed boring in concept, it was actually quite a lot of fun in practice. That was the only Final Fantasy I played for quite a few years, seeing how I couldn't access the rest. My cousin got me interested in the other Final Fantasy games, since he and his friends were huge FF fans. Why, they actually even had their own band dedicated to playing FF music. I was able to borrow and play FF Origins and FF7 from my cousin, and my interest in FF went on from there.

VeloZer0
04-23-2010, 01:09 AM
I moved across the country from my best friend when I was 11. The next summer I flew back to his house for a week, and he had just bought a PlayStation and had a copy of FFVII. I was so impressed (the only RPG I had ever played prior to that was Pokemon) that I wanted to get a PS1 just to play that game. I was so happy when I found out it was released for PC.

beema
04-27-2010, 04:07 AM
My grandpa got me FF II (IV) for SNES as a Christmas or birthday present back in the day. :)
It was pretty random, considering I had never mentioned an interest in rpg's or FF or anything, but man, he was on the money! I will always wonder how he knew...

Clo
04-27-2010, 04:11 AM
Darn, Hypoallergenic stole my answer.

I played FF7 in 1998 and was screwed from there. I think I read about it in OPM, when that was around.