PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo 3DS

Slothy
03-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Nintendo 3DS Announced - DS News at IGN (http://ds.ign.com/articles/107/1079233p1.html)

I really hope for Nintendo's sake that it features more than just 3D and more powerful hardware. At least a touch screen, as much as I hated it for most titles did offer some new gameplay possibilities. 3D on the other hand is one of those things that will never really affect the way we play games. I guess maybe Nintendo just wanted to try and beat Sony to the punch.

Mo-Nercy
03-23-2010, 12:02 PM
I remember Nintendo once saying that the DS wasn't the successor to the Gameboy and that there was a strong possibility of a new Gameboy co-existing alongside the DS series, but this now seems unlikely. It's a shame because I loved the GBA because of quality games like Golden Sun and Advance Wars whereas I've found the DS to be overly gimmicky. I fell for it's early allure with Nintendogs but since then, I've gotten no long-lasting fun out of it. Elite Beat Agents was only entertaining for about half a day, for example.

I don't forsee anything different out of this new addition to the DS's technology. I already find it hard to believe that people went out and bought the DSi when the price was comparable to a PSP. So I wonder how much this 3DS will cost?

KentaRawr!
03-24-2010, 07:27 AM
I'm surprised you didn't get much fun out of the DS. I love mine. :3

But anyway, 3DS sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to the demos they'll have prepared this year at E3.

Edit: Also, I feel this (http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/nintendo-ds-3d-hidden-picture/341097) is vaguely relevant.

Momiji
03-24-2010, 01:21 PM
I never really thought the DS was gimmicky at all (some of the new DSi stuff, sure, but not the concept in general). Some games make incredible use of the touch screen, while some don't really use it at all. It's really not a big deal.

As far as the 3DS goes, just from the name alone, I'm expecting 3 screens. :p (not really.)

As long as the games are as fun as DS games are, I'll likely end up getting it, eventually.

Slothy
03-24-2010, 01:28 PM
I never really thought the DS was gimmicky at all (some of the new DSi stuff, sure, but not the concept in general). Some games make incredible use of the touch screen, while some don't really use it at all. It's really not a big deal.

My problem with the DS was that the games that used it well (like Trauma Center) were few and far between, while the games that tried to shovel arbitrary uses of it just because it was there were fairly common. Worse were the games that forced you to use it for things that would have been better with the D-pad and buttons. I can't tell you the number of times I took damage in Phantom Hourglass that never would have happened with a traditional control scheme.

Momiji
03-24-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm not saying it was perfect, and I'd certainly say the game developers who make arbitrary uses of the touch screen (or force you to use it) are the ones to blame for the DS feeling gimmicky-- it's not the hardware's fault that some developers won't make good use of the touch screen. :p

Slothy
03-24-2010, 01:38 PM
No it's not the hardware's fault, but the fact that there have been so few good uses strikes me as having less to do with developers not wanting to make good use of it as much as the potential uses of it being limited. It can add to some genres, but no more so than a mouse would, and most don't benefit much. So maybe it's not quite gimmicky per se, but it's not the innovation Nintendo wanted people to believe when it came out.

Which is actually a trend with them lately if you ask me. :D :p

Momiji
03-24-2010, 01:42 PM
I guess so. Either way, it really doesn't bother me that much at all. If a game makes good use of the touch screen, wonderful. If a game doesn't really need to use the touch screen, but has it as an option (such as touch-screen menus and stuff), I generally won't use them. It's a 2-screen GBA game to me at that point. :p The games that make bad use of the touch screen and force you to use it are generally not that good to begin with, in many cases.

Xaven
03-24-2010, 01:44 PM
I really hope the 3D technology isn't headache inducing! Just thinking about it is already making me dizzy, yo. e_e

But an "early 2011" launch sounds really near! I don't think I'd mind waiting another half a year for half a year more refinement on the system that seems like it'll be around for a while. I'm generally very patient with video game things, since I never seem to get things when they're hot. xD

Momiji
03-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Well, wouldn't that 'early 2011' release apply to Japan? If that's the case, I'm sure they'll take care of any bugs or stuff that might not work before it gets released here-- they slap enough health warnings on games these days (hell, there's always one when you turn the handheld itself) they'd have to if they don't want to get sued for causing little Johnny to go cross-eyed or for causing little Suzie to convulse on the floor. :p

Aerith's Knight
03-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Hmm, I don't know, I don't really play hand-held games that often, but I do realize that the only hand-held consoles actually worth anything come from Nintendo. Maybe I'll buy it, if I have the money.

SuperMillionaire
03-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Great! I hope it has motion-sensory functionality like the Wii remote.

KentaRawr!
03-24-2010, 05:41 PM

I can see the tilt sensor working out, but not the pointer and other stuff. :p

Slothy
03-24-2010, 09:20 PM

Especially since a touch screen is actually better than the Wii pointer if you ask me. :)

Still, I really can't see a tilt sensor working out very well. I'd find it annoying trying to watch the screen while tilting the handheld all over the place.

KentaRawr!
03-24-2010, 09:33 PM

Especially since a touch screen is actually better than the Wii pointer if you ask me. :)

Still, I really can't see a tilt sensor working out very well. I'd find it annoying trying to watch the screen while tilting the handheld all over the place.

WarioWare Twisted, man.

Slothy
03-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Never played it. But then I hated every other WarioWare game I've ever played.

Actually, hated probably isn't a strong enough word.

arcanedude34
04-15-2010, 07:49 PM
I can just imagine all the headaches this will cause with its gimmicky 3D. I wish Nintendo would just make consoles again rather than marketable gimmicks. D:

Hollycat
04-15-2010, 08:32 PM
They need ps3p, oh wait that is sony

JKTrix
04-16-2010, 01:31 AM
I wish people would get hands-on time with quality games that have come out on these gimmick systems before writing them off.

I wish Nintendo did a better job of highlighting the quality games that have come out on their systems so that people couldn't write them off so easily.

Now that the attention is in the thread where it belongs, I think it's important to note that *everyone* is coming out with 3D technology for games. So if 3D in general is viewed as a gimmick, then those accusations should really be aimed at all 3 of the platform-holders. Nintendo's just doing it in what may be the least expensive way, if you don't already have a 3D-capable television.

I would be more willing to tolerate comments on the 3DS' gimmickry once we actually know something about it. As it is right now, anything outside of what Nintendo themselves has said is just speculation--educated though it may be.

To recap what Nintendo has said:
-3D without glasses (did not mention how)
-Out in Japan likely by this time next year
-This is the next handheld system for them (not an iteration like the DSlite or the DSi)

Bolivar
04-16-2010, 03:01 AM
I remember Nintendo once saying that the DS wasn't the successor to the Gameboy and that there was a strong possibility of a new Gameboy co-existing alongside the DS series, but this now seems unlikely. I

I'm with you on this and Vivi with pretty much everything else.

I do like my DS-Lite (launch, baby!) but let's not candy coat it - the best games on the DS are remakes. To the extent that it's not really a game system, it's my updated-classic-RPG player. New Super Mario Bros. copy and pasted all the levels from older Mario games and to say Mario Kart DS is a "new game" stretches the meaning of that term. However, I have just started the Mario & Luigi games and I have to admit I'm impressed, but when I play Final Fantasy VIII on my PSP-Go, it really drives home how FFVIII is a "big-boy" RPG.

That said I do feel the stylus overall was a success. RTS was made more feasible, Revenant Wings was a fun mash-up of my 2 favorite genres. And I may sound utterly insane to say this, but I feel Phantom Hourglass worked. I wrote it off because it sounded retarded, but when I finally gave it a try I was thoroughly impressed. I actually even use the stylus exclusively a lot on FFIII.

But Nintendo's really lost it over the years. They used to lead by example and now it's like they don't even try anymore. The DS and PSP are very similar to me in that both manufacturers should've put their own studios behind them more. There's been successes and a lot of mediocrity on both, but right now I have to give the edge to the PSP. Nintendo for the most part has always compromised with its handheld games. Smaller, tuned down versions of their console big brothers. But PSP just had SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 3 - which is essentially a console shooter on a handheld with 16-player internet multiplayer and 4-player co-op. They've released a full-fledged Motorstorm and a full-fledged God of War. You never see Nintendo doing anything like that. It seems like they shine most with original IP's like Advanced Wars, Pokemon, and Golden Sun which are primarily built for the handheld.

Anyway, long story short, the 3DS does seem gimmicky, and it's a real let down that this is essentially the end of the DS. On the one hand it seems like it does have plenty of original titles that could keep me occupied for years. But why on Earth would I want to try them when I could play Dragon Quest V, VI, or Final Fantasy IV instead? I just feel like it's never lived up to the tremendous legacy of the GBA, GBC, and original Gameboy. Nintendo truly is dead.

Momiji
04-16-2010, 03:49 AM
However, I have just started the Mario & Luigi games and I have to admit I'm impressed, but when I play Final Fantasy VIII on my PSP-Go, it really drives home how FFVIII is a "big-boy" RPG.

Play some Etrian Odyssey and say that again. :cool:

JKTrix
04-16-2010, 12:04 PM
...the best games on the DS are remakes...when I play Final Fantasy VIII on my PSP-Go, it really drives home how FFVIII is a "big-boy" RPG...I actually even use the stylus exclusively a lot on FFIII.

On the one hand it seems like it does have plenty of original titles that could keep me occupied for years. But why on Earth would I want to try them when I could play Dragon Quest V, VI, or Final Fantasy IV instead?

Seems like your 'problem' is pretty clear, and I use 'problem' carefully because it's not really your fault. Kind of what I was alluding to in my previous post: Nintendo hasn't done a spectacular job highlighting the greater games on their system, and you're not interested in doing the work to find out about it yourself. (It's not just you, don't take it personally.) I say the DS is my favourite current gaming system for good reason, but that's because I've put a lot of work into discovering things that don't get a lot of exposure.

Slothy
04-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Well, if you feel there are some truly amazing games on the DS that we're all missing out on JKTrix then you could help out by enlightening us as to what they are. We may not be nearly as ignorant of the titles you like as you think.

Still though, I've played a lot of games that made about the best use I could possibly imagine of the stylus, but the only one that didn't feel like it could be done better with traditional controls was Trauma Center.

As for leveling criticism at all platforms for even considering the implementation of 3D, I agree, they're all giving in to the gimmick and they should all be criticized for pursuing something that won't add to gameplay in anyway that your standard 3D already has. But I take particular issue with the 3DS for a number of reasons. If I don't want to play in 3D on the PS3 (or can't due to lacking the required hardware), then I don't have to. But the idea of a 3D handheld means pretty much everything will shovel it in whether it's good or not. To top it off, I don't know of any method of creating a 3D image without glasses that will be as effective at as wide a degree of distances and angles as ones that use 3D glasses. Unless Nintendo has somehow invented their own implementation or improved on existing ones to get around this, I fully expect that 3D won't even work properly unless I hold the thing at the proper distance and angle from my eyes; something that's a little stupid to require for using a handheld where I want to hold it wherever the hell I'm most comfortable holding it.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong on most of this when people (myself included) actually have hands on time with it, but there's no reason we can't speculate on the thing knowing the current state of 3D technology. Even if they get the implementation working well though, I still don't see it adding anything to gameplay that can't be done with standard 3D. I really think that focusing on 3D at all in games is moving in the wrong direction because it's really not adding anything to the game. The human eye is capable of perceiving depth quite well in standard 3D games without the need for the additional depth of field.

Bolivar
04-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Seems like your 'problem' is pretty clear, and I use 'problem' carefully because it's not really your fault. Kind of what I was alluding to in my previous post: Nintendo hasn't done a spectacular job highlighting the greater games on their system, and you're not interested in doing the work to find out about it yourself. (It's not just you, don't take it personally.) I say the DS is my favourite current gaming system for good reason, but that's because I've put a lot of work into discovering things that don't get a lot of exposure.

No offense taken, but like Vivi said, maybe you could tell us a little about some of the hidden gems and why they're worth while. I'm serious!

MJN SEIFER
04-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Sorry if this has been asked and answerd already, but how will the 3D be created? Will you actually wear glasses or something like the films? Or will it try to create 3D on its own like the "Sharp RD3D" (which failed) or will you have look into it like Nintedo's own "Virtual Boy" (which also failed).

Rad Bromance
04-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Edit: Also, I feel this (http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/nintendo-ds-3d-hidden-picture/341097) is vaguely relevant.
Is that the 3D they're talking about? If so that's awesome.

VeloZer0
04-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Hm, I don't like the idea of having to move the console while playing. When I get into a comfortable position it usually entails the console being fully at rest, and not in a good position to manipulate. Also, when I am fidgeting while playing around it would probably be very disorienting. The fundamental flaw of this technology is that it is only useful if your head is moving in relation to the game.

I wonder how powerful the 3D-3D rendering engine will be. All the objects in that tech demo were incredibly simple, mostly 2D objects and objects composed of straight lines. I hope it isn't just a gimmick that can't keep up to rendering real sprites in real games.

Other than that it is a really neat effect. Though of questionable value for a handheld it could be a great proof of concept for TV based consoles.

EDIT: Dammit, I didn't notice that was footage of a game for the DSi, not 3DS. I would imagine the 3DS would go a similar way. No way glasses would fit Nintendo's marketing strategy.

ljkkjlcm9
04-19-2010, 03:14 AM
Sharp Presents 3D Touchscreen LCD, Switchable Between 2D and 3D Modes | SHARP (http://sharp-world.com/corporate/g_topix/3d/index.html)

just saying....

THE JACKEL

Yeargdribble
04-19-2010, 06:33 AM
I've learned to stop writing things off as gimmicks at first glance. I remember thinking the DS was silly. Two screens sounds absurd and most of the gaming community seemed to feel that way at the time. The DS was predicted to be a miserable flop.

It's now a juggernaut of a financial success and most people would agree that there are quite a few very solid titles for the DS. The dual screens have been used quite effectively. The thing we all thought was a gimmick turned out to be pretty awesome.

The Wii is potentially more arguable and a lot of people hate waggling, but once again, the Wii is a huge financial success and judging from the way everyone else seems to want to jump on the motion-control bandwagon, motion control was more than a gimmick. The first generation of it might have been a bit rough, but it's likely to get ironed out more and more (WMP made steps, Move and Natal are likely to make bigger steps).

I'm with the majority that doesn't really see the benefit of 3D. My knee jerk response is to say it's a gimmick and it will get swept under. However, I think I've learned from my past mistakes about presumptions regarding Nintendo. If anyone is going to do 3D right, I would trust Nintendo to do it. They seem to be the best at doing something that borders between laughable and innovative and make it into pure gold while shaping the industry in the process.

NeoCracker
04-19-2010, 01:53 PM

No offense taken, but like Vivi said, maybe you could tell us a little about some of the hidden gems and why they're worth while. I'm serious!

A great one is 'Locke's Quest'. You basically use your materials and energy to rig up defenses for oncoming robot attacks. YOu have so much time prior to the battle to set up, as well as being able to fight yourself once the battle starts, repair structures and create more as the battle progresses. It's a seriously tweaked RTS would be a decent way to describe the combat.

Another good series of games are the Luminous Arc titles if you are into SRPG's.

JKTrix
04-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Hey, sorry I didn't reply to the direct responses. I haven't had a lot of time (and still don't), but maybe one day I'll make a nice thread with all my personal DS recommendations so I can just link to that whenever I get asked again :P

In the meantime though. NeoGAF has a pretty great thread that stretches even broader than my own recommendations. (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049) They liked some stuff I didn't like, but practically everything I did like is in there.

I cut my prior post short because of time, but what I had in there before didn't include recommendations anyway, and it was already off-topic enough.

As far as 3DS stuff goes again, I'm still on the side of 'it's a rumour until Nintendo says something'. However, Nintendo has a very close relationship with Sharp--they've been making DS screens since the beginning. They also have a similarly long relationship with Hitachi, who also revealed 3D screen technology (http://en.akihabaranews.com/43173/displays/hitachi-display-to-also-produce-glasses-less-3d-lcd).

Hythloday
06-16-2010, 03:40 PM
The Nintendo 3DS is an upcoming portable game console (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handheld_game_console) by Nintendo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo), which can produce "3D effects without the need for any special glasses.If screens could produce 3D effects without glasses, why have I been wearing stupid glasses my entire life? Thanks for letting the cat out the bag, Nintendo, I'm done with that smurf.

I've considered myself a very anti-Nintendo guy for a fairly long time (around the time I realized how much more fun competitively wrecking real people online was), but wow, I have to admit you have my interest with this one Nintendo.

Here's hoping it's not the like the last adventure into "3D effects without the need for special glasses" .http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1791/virtualboy.jpg

Madame Adequate
06-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Apparently it genuinely does not need glasses or anything else of the like. So I'm impressed by the technology, I admit.

Rantz
06-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Merged the two threads about the 3DS. Hope you don't mind!

Skyblade
06-16-2010, 06:19 PM
The Nintendo 3DS is an upcoming portable game console (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handheld_game_console) by Nintendo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo), which can produce "3D effects without the need for any special glasses.If screens could produce 3D effects without glasses, why have I been wearing stupid glasses my entire life? Thanks for letting the cat out the bag, Nintendo, I'm done with that smurf.

I've considered myself a very anti-Nintendo guy for a fairly long time (around the time I realized how much more fun competitively wrecking real people online was), but wow, I have to admit you have my interest with this one Nintendo.

Here's hoping it's not the like the last adventure into "3D effects without the need for special glasses" .http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1791/virtualboy.jpg

No, it's a large scale introduction of parallax barrier 3D effects. Basically, the two different images needed for 3D effects are split so that one goes one way, and one goes the other. Each image is thus caught by a different eye. Thus there is a range in which the 3D effects work. Too far to the side, and you won't get the 3D effects.

The problem with parallax barriers were initially the cost, and then the introduction. 3D still isn't huge, and a parallax barrier is an entire new TV, and more costly than one without the 3D system, so introduction has been problematic. Including it into a handheld system was a brilliant idea, and should help people to realize the potential of the system and introduce it as a mainstream viewing system.

Hythloday
06-16-2010, 06:23 PM

No, it's a large scale introduction of parallax barrier 3D effects. Basically, the two different images needed for 3D effects are split so that one goes one way, and one goes the other. Each image is thus caught by a different eye. Thus there is a range in which the 3D effects work. Too far to the side, and you won't get the 3D effects.

The problem with parallax barriers were initially the cost, and then the introduction. 3D still isn't huge, and a parallax barrier is an entire new TV, and more costly than one without the 3D system, so introduction has been problematic. Including it into a handheld system was a brilliant idea, and should help people to realize the potential of the system and introduce it as a mainstream viewing system.

Yeah, Nintendo is really opening themselves up some doors. Imagine all the movies going to be ported to it?