PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about upgrading

~*~Celes~*~
03-24-2010, 12:36 AM
I currently own a blue and black Nintendo DS that I got 3 Christmases ago, and my charger has disappeared because I let my brother's friend borrow it and well, he lost it.

Since DS chargers are hard to find unless you go on amazon or go somewhere like Gamestop probably, and because I've been wanting to upgrade anyway, what would y'all suggest: DS Lite or DSi?

I've tried both out and I like both, but I'm wondering if the internet/camera functions for the DSi are worth it or not.

Voice your opinions here!

Jessweeee♪
03-24-2010, 01:24 AM
I don't own it, but I hear there are some nifty games that take advantage of the camera on their way.

Yeargdribble
03-24-2010, 03:15 AM
I like my Lite and can't say anything for the DSi. If I were upgrading I'd get the DSi XL/LL. I suppose it might not appeal to all, but the screens look a little better and are much larger. I'm not really the type that needs to throw the thing in my pocket so I'd be all over it.

DS Lite will be the cheaper option. Also keep in mind the 3DS is coming sometime. I'd suggest getting the charger from Amazon and waiting to see how things pan out. If you absolutely can't wait I would keep in mind that there are some games starting to make promising use of the DSi's camera.

Momiji
03-24-2010, 03:26 AM
Well, depends. Do you really really like your GBA games? If so, go for another DS Lite.

If you wanna try some of the downloadable content and such, go for DSi. If you're interested, here's a review I wrote for the DSi a while back. (http://www.omgmygame.com/node/88)

Agent Proto
03-24-2010, 03:29 AM
I have a DS Lite, and I am rather happy with it. Though, I have tried the DSi, and it's something worth owning if you like messing around with the camera it has, even if the quality isn't that great. Another advantage the DSi have besides the camera is that you can download games from the DSiware just like how you can download games from Wiiware, and some of the games do use the camera feature, so I'd say its worth having. Just don't try browsing the internet on the DSi, even if it can do so.

Edit: Oh yeah, the DSi doesn't have GBA support, so that's a big loss if you enjoy playing GBA games.

~*~Celes~*~
03-24-2010, 05:21 AM
After reading your review, Momiji, I've decided to stick with my DS for now, maybe upgrade to a DS Lite later. There's a couple of GBA games I really want but can't buy because I have yet to find them in the stores I look at. Gonna have to look online I suppose~

Thanks for the help guys :D

Momiji
03-24-2010, 06:14 AM
See? It's as simple as that. :cool:

What GBA games are you looking for, out of curiosity?

~*~Celes~*~
03-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Well, there's Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town (if you have this in your DS while you have HM DS: Cute in there, you can visit Mineral Town and you can marry a whole bunch of other bachelors that you can't otherwise), FFI-VI (though i don't think III is out for GBA, is it?), Super Mario Bros. 3 (I had it but I can't find it anywhere :(), Donkey Kong 2, Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island (baby mario is <3), and maybe Legend of Zelda: The Four Swords, not sure about that one yet.

Momiji
03-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Nope. The FFIII remake is DS only-- definitely worth picking up if you haven't done so yet. Pretty great game.

Iceglow
03-25-2010, 12:12 AM
I like my Lite and can't say anything for the DSi. If I were upgrading I'd get the DSi XL/LL. I suppose it might not appeal to all, but the screens look a little better and are much larger. I'm not really the type that needs to throw the thing in my pocket so I'd be all over it.

The DSI XL does have a drawback, it does on certain older games cause them to look quite blocky and pixelated. However it is generally a good machine for newer games, though I feel they could have put the GBA slot in there as well considering the consoles size.

Personally Kari you ought to get a DS Lite, until they pull support to the GBA it's the best bet for a serious gamer like yourself.

Yeargdribble
03-25-2010, 05:26 PM
I guess that's a taste thing. The blocky issue has come up a lot and I'm just unconcerned about it. Once you've played 8-bit games on a 50" TV the blockiness issue for the XL seems fairly moot.

For me personally though, I'll never get rid of my DS Lite in a trade in situation and I even still have my Advance SP around. Gives me some extra options with emulation and some extra handhelds to share with my wife on trips.

~*~Celes~*~
03-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Okay, DS Lite it is!

Thanks for the advice everyone :heart:

@Momiji: I'll definitely have to check it out then :D