PDA

View Full Version : What cat? What bag?

Aerith's Knight
03-24-2010, 01:11 AM
As you all know by now, I'm Dutch. Now a few minutes ago I accidentally translated a dutch saying that had no meaning in English. If English is your second language, post some saying that make no sense translated.

Here are some:

"The cat falls through the bag."
= The secret/unknown knowledge is out.

"High trees catch a lot of wind."
= People who take on a lot of responsibility, get a lot of criticism.

"Comes for the Baker."
= I'll get it done

"Pulling on the Bell."

Cookie if you can guess the meaning.

~*~Celes~*~
03-24-2010, 01:13 AM
Would your "The cat falls through the bag" be anywhere near our "the cat's out of the bag" saying? For us it means that a secret has been revealed.

Freya
03-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Yeah I still don't get any of those Dennis xD You be crrrrrrazy with your weird language!

Rantz
03-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Stands like rods on the ground.

Now there will be other buns.

Having rye in your back.

Zeldy
03-24-2010, 01:27 AM
Cookie if you can guess the meaning.

cookie? (http://forums.eyesonff.com/members/cookie.html) :(

Aerith's Knight
03-24-2010, 01:29 AM
Would your "The cat falls through the bag" be anywhere near our "the cat's out of the bag" saying? For us it means that a secret has been revealed.

It's similar, but it doesn't only apply to a secret, more a general finding things out you didn't know. Funny, that means the English adopted one of our sayings. (or the other way around, of course)

Another few:

All craziness on a stick.

Keeping an eye in the sail.

Not having a high hat of someone.

Imperfectionist
03-24-2010, 01:41 AM
English is my first language, but I study French too so I know they have some odd phrases as well. My favourite is 'Mettre la puce à l'oreille' which translates roughly as 'Put the flea to your ear' :D

Greek is also my second language and they say some weird stuff too. Like if a kid is acting up the parents (but more often grandparents) will say 'i'll break your face' XD my grandma used to say that to me all the time.

There's others but I can't remember them right now.

Goldenboko
03-24-2010, 01:44 AM
This thread reminds me of swears which often don't literally translate well. Like when we tried to get our friend to explain what a swear meant in French while watching Taken. He said, "Like asshole, but much much ruder." My brother and I kept trying to ask him what it literally translated to and it took a well placed analogy to us truly understand that it translated to nothing.

~*~Celes~*~
03-24-2010, 01:47 AM
"Not having a high hat of someone," would that translate to basically mean not having a high opinion of someone? This one is purely a guess :D

Aerith's Knight
03-24-2010, 01:49 AM
"Not having a high hat of someone," would that translate to basically mean not having a high opinion of someone? This one is purely a guess :D

Correct guess on a second one. That's quite the streak you have going on.

Special bonus: "Taking old cows out of the ditch."

This thread reminds me of swears which often don't literally translate well. Like when we tried to get our friend to explain what a swear meant in French while watching Taken. He said, "Like asshole, but much much ruder." My brother and I kept trying to ask him what it literally translated to and it took a well placed analogy to us truly understand that it translated to nothing.

You have no idea how dirty words can get in Dutch. It would make you a man in a 30 sec conversation.

Momiji
03-24-2010, 02:01 AM
And I've heard foreign people say that American idioms and metaphors were weird or hard to interpret! :|

You have no idea how dirty words can get in Dutch.

I'm intrigued. Care to elaborate? :p

Jessweeee♪
03-24-2010, 02:04 AM
I love learning about foreign idioms. It's the coolest part of getting to know another language better xD

Aerith's Knight
03-24-2010, 02:11 AM
You have no idea how dirty words can get in Dutch.

I'm intrigued. Care to elaborate? :p

Hard to do without a banning offense, but I'll try. When I went to middle school, I was a pure boy, knew little of grown up things, etc etc. Then I met my current friends.

Dirty jokes to each other went from Theo's (some guy) mom to animal "love" (legal in the Netherlands until a little while ago) to incest in a week. This went on for three more weeks until it stagnated.

The worst thing is that in the end they always said: "God! Dennis, how can you say that?!" Both of them, in chorus, so I always seemed like the worst, even though I was the least.:(

Anywho, to stay on topic, here's another one:

Entering for bacon and beans.

edit: If after 24 hours nobody guessed it correctly, I will post the answers, so stay tuned!

Freya
03-24-2010, 02:21 AM
"Taking old cows out of the ditch."

Does that mean you take them out to DIE?

"All craziness on a stick."

Urm.... Is that one like you're beat with a crazy stick?

Aerith's Knight
03-24-2010, 02:25 AM

Does that mean you take them out to DIE?

Urm.... Is that one like you're beat with a crazy stick?

Nope and nope, I'll give these two for free.

= Bringing up old subjects

= "..All jokes aside, .." or indicating an unusual amount of random events

Momiji
03-24-2010, 02:30 AM
I'm totally going to use these in regular speech at one time or another. Just so you know.

I like using idioms that no one around here gets. :p

Aerith's Knight
03-24-2010, 02:38 AM
I'm totally going to use these in regular speech at one time or another. Just so you know.

I like using idioms that no one around here gets. :p

Such a positive comment, this deserves another translation. :)

"Being able to dop his beans."
= Being able to take care of his own problems.

Freya
03-24-2010, 02:45 AM

Urm is this one like... The more you stick your neck out the more trouble youll get?

"Comes for the Baker."

Cakes are poisonous?

Aerith's Knight
03-24-2010, 02:50 AM

Urm is this one like... The more you stick your neck out the more trouble youll get?

"Comes for the Baker."

Cakes are poisonous?

Both wrong, again. :)

= People who take on a lot of responsibility, get a lot of criticism.

"Comes for the Baker."
= I'll get it done.

Freya
03-24-2010, 02:55 AM
How does that even mean I'll get it done!? Is there something I don't know about bakers?

Aerith's Knight
03-24-2010, 02:58 AM
Well, let me explain. In olden times, people brought their own dough to the baker, made it faster. for the baker, therefore became the saying for "the most important things are already done".

Goldenboko
03-24-2010, 03:35 AM
How does that even mean I'll get it done!? Is there something I don't know about bakers?

In Dutchland of Dutch Bakers are actually the code word for Magicians who will use their wizardry powers to instantly do whatever you need to have done. Anything. Yes. Even that. :jokey:

Freya
03-24-2010, 03:40 AM
I like that explanation better than AK's. It sounds much more plausible so it must be right.

Aerith's Knight
03-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Well, seeing as the thread is dying, I'll just post the remainings, in case anyone was wondering. :p

"Pulling on the Bell."
= Alerting someone of a problem

"Keeping an eye in the sail."
= Keeping an eye out for trouble.

"Playing for bacon and beans."
= Not really playing / playing without risk of losing (like when small children play against adults)