PDA

View Full Version : PE

demondude
03-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Physical education, PE, whatever you want to call it. What PE were you best at and did you enjoy it?

I used to be the man at trampolining. In fact I did some trampolining earlier (on a rubbish garden trampoline) and I remembered how fun it used to be, which is why I made this thread. :D My cousin also whines like a little bitch about PE and I'm like, is it that bad? Dodgeball used to be fun too.

Rebellious Eagle
03-25-2010, 09:27 PM
I actually enjoy PE! We're not doing trampolining any time soon, I don't think, but that does sound like fun. xD
So far I think I'm either best at basketball or volleyball, probably because of prior experience.

Merk
03-25-2010, 09:35 PM
I was pretty fantastic at dodgeball.

Chloe.
03-25-2010, 09:36 PM
I've never been a fan of PE, I used to enjoy a few things that we did (Badmiton comes to mind) but I just hated having to get changed into my PE kit and then be forced to do some stupid sport that I didn't like. I was so happy when I finished Year 11 and moved onto Sixth Form, no more PE! :p

Trampolining was always horrible at my school. We have two trampolines and we would like put them next to each other and have mats around them and then everyone else would stand around on the mats ready to catch the two people if they fell off. I hated it because I wasn't particularly good and everyone had to watch you. :/

demondude
03-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Exactly what we had to do, but there were three trampolines.

Iceglow
03-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Trampolining was always horrible at my school. We have two trampolines and we would like put them next to each other and have mats around them and then everyone else would stand around on the mats ready to catch the two people if they fell off. I hated it because I wasn't particularly good and everyone had to watch you. :/

Yeah we done similar, except there was 4 trampolines (3 good ones, one crap one) and we used to be in groups of like 10. Only major difference is, if you fell off in my school. No one ever caught you they just pointed and laughed at you. Thankfully I never fell off the trampoline but I didn't do it so much because I used to spend most PE classes doing other things (I didn't bunk the lesson I just looked at my teacher and said, "I've just spent an hour at lunch playing Basketball, I aint doing PE now, I cbf" which generally got me an "ok fine go sit over there and do nothing" to which I usually just ignored and either read a book or did homework during PE class.

I used to be pretty damn good with a javelin, the indoor foam javelin's were pathetic but funny, our gym hall was like 120m long, I used to compete with the other great javelin thrower in our year to see if we could hit the ceiling apex, a theoretical throw in perfect conditions of just under 240m. This is why you don't give javelin throwers 2oz foam things, we like to break the rules of probability and reality with them.

I also was good at badminton, in junior school I was part of the school badminton team for 3 years running so when I went to high school I had an edge over most of the kids there who'd never even played the sport. Funny how things work out but the other guy who could throw javelins well, he went to my junior school with me and we were both on the badminton team. I remember in year 11 a former student who had gone semi-pro in the sport came back and me and this guy ended up playing a very vicious game against her and our PE teacher Ms Milford who coached the girl for several years. They won but it was sure as hell close.

Though the best PE lessons were always swimming classes, lets face it in junior and infants school my school had it's own swimming pool which was awesome, in high school we got bussed to the local swimming pool for lessons I wish in a way I had kept swimming up because I was quite a strong swimmer (though nowhere near the strongest in our school but I was still respectable as a strong non-competition swimmer) these days I still know what to do in the water but I don't feel as confident or as strong in how I move now.

Zeldy
03-25-2010, 10:06 PM
I used to LOOOOVE doing fitness xD or like, the bleep test or any of the other stamina-based ones. I have no stamina like, so I was always rubbish but I enjoyed how fast-paced it was. I loved dodgeball too, but I was rubbish at that too. Since being at college and PE is not compulsory, I do like nothing now boo!

Bunny
03-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Wait. I didn't get to jump on a trampoline for PE credit. What kind of backwards fascist commie nation do you people live in?

I liked PE because I was generally athletic in high school. Football, baseball and badminton were some of my favorite sports. I enjoyed tennis as well although other people didn't enjoy playing against me. I would get bored and start messing around, which made them angry. One time I beamed a girl in her crotch with a tennis ball. I felt really bad because she had a crush on me and was cute.

demondude
03-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Seems like it's just a UK thing.

Jess
03-25-2010, 11:59 PM
I hated PE at school. In the summer it was cool, but in the winter, standing outside in the rain in shorts and a polo shirt was not my idea of fun. I used to do everything I could to get out of PE if it was winter and we were supposed to be outside instead of inside in the warm gym!

I'm too clumsy for trambopolining. I once fell face first on the edge of the trampoline where the metal is. Broke my nose! That wasn't so fun.

Bastian
03-26-2010, 12:08 AM
:( No trampolines in my West Coast USA school. :( That would have been rad! Lucky Brits.

My obsession with fitness and sports didn't come until well after high school, so I hated PE and my friend and I would show up for role call and then skip! Sh! Don't tell anyone! We did get caught once though.:cry:

Breine
03-26-2010, 12:15 AM
I always kinda enjoyed gym class, or well.. most of the time anyway. I didn't care much for soccer, since it's never been my strong point. But things like badminton, volleyball, track and field athletics etc. were always rather enjoyable. Gym class in high school was particularly good.

Also, I remember that this one teacher in elementary school invented a real-life version of the Stratego board game, which was perhaps the best gym class activity ever! So much fun.

Aerith's Knight
03-26-2010, 12:21 AM
I was best at Basketball (of the class) and hockey (of the entire year, oh yeah). The rest I was just calling it in. :p

Also, is there someone who remembers the elementary school PE game: Monkey cage?

Psychotic
03-26-2010, 12:55 AM
PE depends on the sport. When it was rugby in a freezing cold field, or if it was smurfing basketball, it sucked because those sports suck. (sorry Dennis)

But football, tennis, rounders, athletics, badminton, squash, they were all fun.

Although we never had a trampoline like the rest of my countrymen apparently did.

bipper
03-26-2010, 01:01 AM
I thought it was the physics class for challenged kids. :confused:

Aerith's Knight
03-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Oh, I suddenly remember one of the stupidest and most awesome PE ever.

It was a form of dodgeball. You have 2 GIANT mats, I mean like those things they use in height jumping at the olympics. Both teams had one, and you had to have people hold it on its side, keep it from falling over, while the rest throws balls at the people of the other team. If the mat falls, you lose.

I was the biggest (6' by age 14) dude in the entire year, so I was always holding the mat. And because the other team needed 4 or 5 kids to hold that thing in place, while I was there by myself, yawning, that was the only time I actually got picked first (except for the aforementioned basketball and hockey. And I'll hurt you for that yet, Paul.), seeing as the one with more throwers in dodgeball usually wins. :p

I thought it was the physics class for challenged kids.

I was a very very very bored child. I have literally played EVERY available sport in the entire region, ranging from 6 months to 5 years. This includes such classics as Soccer, baseball, football, basketball, tennis, kayaking, judo, tae kwan do, karate, jujitsu, archery, volleyball, handball, hockey and many many more. I have/had dozens of trophies and ribbons stashed around my room.

I was a jack of all trades, luckely, because everyone knew this, and nobody likes to be picked last. :p

Jessweeee♪
03-26-2010, 01:50 AM
I hated it because it was just really annoying. I don't like working out in the middle of a class day. I was always really late to my next class because they had to use every ounce of class time so we didn't have enough time to change and get to class on time. I was always worried that I smelled horrible because we didn't have time to shower :(

I like my jogging class so much more and it's a lot more grueling than PE ever was. I have a lot of free time between my academic classes and my jogging class and nothing after. I can just take a nice long shower and then chill out!

Aerith's Knight
03-26-2010, 02:00 AM
Can you guys remember when you had to do rings in PE? When you had to powder your hands in? God, was that pandemonium when the teacher wasn't present. xD

I smacked a girl on the ass with that, showed a hand print the entire lesson. Got a Christmas card from her too. xP

Raistlin
03-26-2010, 03:49 AM
I enjoyed PE. I was best at basketball and soccer (I played on my high school's team for both).

NorthernChaosGod
03-26-2010, 06:22 AM
I didn't like PE at first, but I later into high school I really enjoyed it. I was best at football, basketball and running the mile (lol). I was usually quarterback in football even if I did like running the ball more. =\

Wait. I didn't get to jump on a trampoline for PE credit. What kind of backwards fascist commie nation do you people live in?

Second.

demondude
03-26-2010, 08:33 AM
PE was more of a fun break between lessons than anything serious. Anyone do something called fitness? It's basically where you ran indoor circuits doing little activities, and the teacher used to play godawful music while we did it. xD It's hard to do any exercise seriously when you got the Bee Gees blaring at you.

NorthernChaosGod
03-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Haha, no. The only things we did were stretch and do a warm up half-mile, then play sports or lift weights. I think it was every two weeks we'd run a timed mile though.

Jessweeee♪
03-26-2010, 03:32 PM
At my school the girls got to take it easy. The most grueling thing we ever did was crab soccer.

Captain Maxx Power
03-26-2010, 05:21 PM
In my opinion kids need to do more PE. It builds character and sets yourself up for good fitness later in life. I wish I'd been more involved in PE as a kid since now I freakin' love personal fitness.

Jessweeee♪
03-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Nah, it's not gonna stick when you just force them onto it. If they don't have the right attitude about it they'll just hate it! I mean just look at those poor souls in Illinois that have to take it every year K-12 D:

Old Manus
03-26-2010, 07:22 PM
I used to be pretty good at the high jump, when we got a chance to do anything other than ENDLESS, ENDLESS RUGBY IN THE RAINSWEPT MUD OF THE SCHOOL FIELD, COME HAIL, COME SLEET, COME SNOW, COME ANY TEMPEST OF PRECIPITATE BEFOULING OUR BARREN HOMELAND.

Imperfectionist
03-26-2010, 09:16 PM
I hated PE with a passion. In fact for the last two years of high school I just refused to do it. I'd turn up in my kit and then just sit down with the other girls that refused and chatted about sex. That was my PE.

I still managed to get a B though :confused:

Freya
03-26-2010, 09:18 PM
I use to like PE because it seemed al the girls ever in my classes were playing up the whole girly thing since we usually had guys in our classes as well. So when we'd play dodge ball the guys never expected one of the girls to wack them with a ball and SMACK i'd hit them. Dodgeball is hella fun.

NorthernChaosGod
03-26-2010, 09:21 PM
In my opinion kids need to do more PE. It builds character and sets yourself up for good fitness later in life. I wish I'd been more involved in PE as a kid since now I freakin' love personal fitness.

I agree, people in general need to be more active. They don't have to like it, but they damn well better do it.

Rantz
03-27-2010, 12:27 AM
I excelled at being sick or forgetting my gym bag on PE days. ;D

Laddy
03-27-2010, 01:12 AM
PE sucks at my school. Run, lift weights, run, have your manhood tarnished by some guy with a big nose.

Weep to mother.

NorthernChaosGod
03-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Lol. No lockers?

Rantz
03-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Thankfully not!

NorthernChaosGod
03-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Haha. Lazy ass. :semicolonpee:

Who actually showered in PE? I did. :cool:

Iceglow
03-27-2010, 10:20 PM

In the uk, that would simply mean you'd be made to do it in your socks or bare foot in uniform. Though I was always excellent of getting out of the classes of PE I didn't want to do, I didn't bother forgetting my kit, I'd just get myself sent to the deputy heads office for calling the gym teacher an asshole or something (Mr Hill did not like it one bit, neither did Mr Kennedy) That'd get me out of PE damn fast and I never used to actually get in to trouble with the deputy because he knew I was simply reacting towards the fact that both the male PE instructors were by his book assholes too.

PE sucks at my school. Run, lift weights, run, have your manhood tarnished by some guy with a big nose.

Weep to mother.

You know, in my school they came out with this crap that until you reached year 10 and 11 you weren't allowed to lift weights in the weight gym (which could fit like 5 students in at a time anyhow) but the football and rugby teams were allowed to from year 7 and were even expected to do so (I found this out in year 9 when our right winger in the rugby team left unexpectedly I was an ok winger and even though I didn't want to be one I got put on the team. I refused to train regulary and they eventually dropped me out after the winter half season. I still had to play in the crap weather however which sucked balls but the worst time was when it was flooded down the local park (my school in london had no field of it's own) and the teacher couldn't put us in the park, he basically told me he was going to demonstrate a rugby tackle to the rest of the guys on me on asphalt I told him to outright go smurf himself with a cucumber if he thought I was THAT dumb.

qwertysaur
03-29-2010, 01:00 AM
Ping Pong was my favorite activity. We also have something called Project adventure. They are physical puzzles, like you must cross the gym as a group using a rope, and can't touch the ground. You all start on a mat, the rope does not. Project adventure is the best PE unit ever.

Also we had scooters which were square boards on wheels. Any sport is better when played on scooters. We had scooter soccer (football for non Americans) scooter Basketball, scooter handball etc. Scooter Soccer also has a comically oversized ball sometimes, just because the teacher felt like it.

Brunettepudding
03-29-2010, 01:48 AM
Fasttracks. I love that game.

But I'm usually the one getting cussed out because I don't dress out. :p
Hate PE.

Cuchulainn
03-29-2010, 01:58 AM
fucking LOVED PE at school. Well, when we got to play football. Not the times where we had to run up & down or pointlessly climb fucking ropes. The WORST was when we were expected to play basketball. Who are you trying to kid? You're in working class North Belfast, that thing is getting kicked. So...we were chipping the ball into the hoops at the end. Good times....

PuPu
03-29-2010, 02:03 AM
PE is great. It's a nice way of instantly waking myself up, even after continuously getting 3 hours of sleep each night for the past few days. Best sport in PE for me was floor hockey.

PE was also great for the lazy and fat kids as well, since they could get full credit for just walking ~two 400m laps around the track if they didn't want to do the normal activity of the day.

ANGRYWOLF
03-29-2010, 02:04 AM
I was pretty fantastic at dodgeball.

they use to call it murderball..and boy did it sting when someone hit you.:greenie:

NorthernChaosGod
03-29-2010, 03:37 AM
Fasttracks. I love that game.

But I'm usually the one getting cussed out because I don't dress out. :p
Hate PE.

What is this fasttracks you speak of? o_O

rubah
03-29-2010, 05:09 AM
My dad worked at a pool and spa store when I was very young, and he brought home a trampoline for my siblings and I. It was pretty much the best thing ever. Sadly, I can't really jump on them anymore, my bladder isn't strong enough. We had so many games. One of my friends would do these dragon ball moves, and I had no idea where they came from, but they were fun. And there was crack the egg (I was excellent at that), and trip the dip, which was something my brother came up with, I think. One person was the trip, and they would roll around on their stomachs, while everyone else were the dips. If the trip rolled toward and caught you, you were the new trip. There was a jungle gym right next to the trampoline, and we had some swings rigged up really high so you could just sit on them without getting down, so that was always base.

Later, they installed some new components on the tower in our backyard, and left behind this 5ft spool. Or maybe it was bigger than that. Two of my friends and I managed to roll it over to the trampoline, and we turned it on its side (it was slightly shorter than the trampoline was) so that was the place where we would get on and put our shoes. Later, when we had chickens, that would be where we would run to evade the rooster.

My cousin and I developed this exercise regimen using techniques we called .. sit downs and sit ups or something. Basically you jumped, pulled your legs into the lotus position, bounced, put them out again and repeated. It took a while to perfect the first time, but it was pretty fun xD

Before I ever could do a somersault on the trampoline, I'd do this thing I called a raggedy-ann doll-- jump up and land flat on your back, then flip forward and land on your stomach the next time.

My dad was the awesomest though- he could jump to his feet from just lying down xD

We had this thing... I forget what it was called. Something Olympics. That was fun. And sometimes, we'd just go out there and talk. Once, the two friends who helped me roll the spool and I were out there, and we all saw the sky turn bright green in the distance.
"holy crap. Was that the nuclear plant?"
":OOOOOOOOO"

Since then, I've learned about the green flash at sunset, but that doesn't make sense, because it was already dark when we saw it. Who knows?

The worst PE class I can remember was in second grade or so. The girl's basketball coach had turned the floor of the gym into a huge monopoly board, and she would roll this giant foam die, and we would have to go so many steps forward and do the exercise listed there. They were so hard! One of them was 80 jumping jacks. We bitched about that for weeks afterward.

At recess, we would play jump-rope, four square, tether-ball, swinging, stuff on the parallel bars, and for a brief while in third grade, my cousin and I got up a jogging group to go around the complete perimeter of the playground xD

Fifth grade, they were all about the presidential challenge or whatever. Two kids in my grade actually completed it-- they both played basketball xD I liked the limber exercises since I was good at them (still am :D)

The best part in fifth grade was playing prisonball. We'd go out on the old tennis courts before they built the new high school, and it was basically half of the fifth grade class. Four people on each side would be the prison guards or something? And we had these huge balls. Not just the little kickball/dodgeball ones, but some of those big 2ft diameter ones. If they hit you with one, you had to go to the prison side, and your team had to come tag you or something. Fifty kids going nuts on a tennis court was pretty awesome.

Apart from that, we also had a "Fitness" class in fifth grade. That was the only B I got in public school. xD I guess I didn't hustle hard enough.

I was supposed to take PE in ninth grade, but uh, I took Art instead. And so I put it off... and put it off... and eventually it was the second semester of my senior year.

":bou::bou::bou::bou:, I won't graduate if I don't have this p.e. credit."

"well, technically, if you're in a class with a p.e. teacher, that can count as the credit."

"are you :bou::bou::bou::bou:ting me?"

"no, just drive over to the junior high every day, and you can use it as study hall."

They had just finished building the junior high, so that's how I got to be a high schooler in junior high. The only one of my class!
A few times i did go and play with the seventh graders-- they were really adorable :) but mostly I wrote on my essay about As I Lay Dying.

I Took the Red Pill
03-29-2010, 05:20 AM
Who remembers this motherlover?:

http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2007/01/09/teacher-topper.jpg

smurfing right I went there.

My favorite gym class activities were Speed-Away (http://www.kohler.k12.wi.us/physical_education/speedaway_review.htm), Ultimate Frisbee, and Pickle Ball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickleball)

qwertysaur
03-29-2010, 05:33 AM
The tent thing of amazingness!

Also dodgebrick.

Jiro
03-29-2010, 10:47 AM
My school ran an athletics excellence program, so I was in that. So while the PE classes played water polo, we swam laps and cycled for triathlon training. While the other classes played Dodgeball, we threw shot puts. It was the pits man.