PDA

View Full Version : FF7 - Retranslation Complete

seiferalmasy2
03-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Basically the main translation for Part 1 is done. A link will be placed here soon to the downloadable files. (next 5 days).

The document is now open for everyone to look at. I would appreciate constructive criticism, if you see any errors especially.

Break-Off.co.uk - The Forum For Snooker Debate • View topic - Retranslation - Non Dialogue (http://break-off.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1003)

Credits:

Project Manager: DLPB I have placed practically all of the Japanese with the English; organised, maintained, updated game files, quadruple checked, and in general worked my arse off with Japanese dictionaries, programs, hex editors and management. I am, however, not a Japanese speaker.

Lead Japanese Translators: Lusky, Herman, Defade

Quality Assurance (Japanese Speakers): TresDias, Hitoncheir, Luksy, Herman, Glitterberri, JYT (and Chinese), Kawaii Ryűkish, Ryushikaze, Gemini, L.Spiro

Additional Help: Gemini, Glitterberri, JYT

Also thanks to: Idcrisis, Charon

MJN SEIFER
03-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Cool. I'm pleased you've doen it - you (and everyone else involved) have obviously been working hard.

Aerith's Knight
03-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Congrats. It's always nice to see hard work paid off in the end.

DarkMassacre
03-27-2010, 04:17 AM
What does the first part contain? All of what was in that link? No dialogue changes yet?

seiferalmasy2
03-27-2010, 05:14 AM
First part is everything except dialogue. And believe me it is harder to do than dialogue too

The only dialogue updated with the latest release will be world map dialogue (like "oh the sand's like a river, better not go this way"

and limit skill dialogue "this is not for me"

etc

See the document on the forum for list of changes

DarkMassacre
03-27-2010, 05:26 AM
I looked over the document. Thanks for all the hard work. I'll wait until the dialogue is also done though, as I've been wanting to play through a properly translated FF VII forever. I've been wanting to play FF III-VI anyway and a thousand other games so I can keep myself busy until then.

seiferalmasy2
03-27-2010, 05:36 AM
yup :) It may take a long time. We have all the japanese matched to english version ready to change it all, but time needed is considerable although its nowhere near as difficult as the non dialogue was.

Mercen-X
03-28-2010, 06:24 AM

So then Tifa's isn't going to be saying, "I've got the wrong person." :p

seiferalmasy2
03-28-2010, 08:15 AM

So then Tifa's isn't going to be saying, "I've got the wrong person." :p

No, she now says:

Tifa
I've got the wrong person.
あれ、これは違う人のね。
Hmm, this is for someone else.

:D

MJN SEIFER
03-28-2010, 02:36 PM
How have you handled the line "Hmmm... So that's how you'll fooled them!" or however it went.

PLEASE tell me you didn't stoop to the fanboy-ish "translation*" that the PC version did.

*Translation = just something they did to get a childish reaction out of the fans.

Mirage
03-28-2010, 05:27 PM
What was it the PC version did that was worse anyway

MJN SEIFER
03-28-2010, 08:51 PM
It was something like;

Cloud: I'll just see if I can get more items here.

Aeris: Sure, good excuse.

It really doesn't work in my opinion because;

1. It looks like a fan translation; "Oh let's make Cloud a pervert for one second in the game!"

2. The characters aren't suppose to know that there are items there.

3. They aren't supposed to know what sort of place it is. They are stll new to the area.

Mirage
03-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Why aren't they supposed to know there are items there?

Mercen-X
03-28-2010, 10:06 PM
It's an exploration thing. They learn as they go. If they already know what can be found, then they already know how to get them and the player would have no place in deciding what they obtain.

seiferalmasy2
03-29-2010, 09:31 AM
I will check what it says there, although they are supposed to know what place it is, One says "You DO know what kind of place this is, right?" and they are going there for things to make cloud a woman.

seiferalmasy2
03-31-2010, 04:31 AM
Well for once I will be defending the translators. That particular part of the game has had me and the translator talking for 10 minutes and finally it was decided that context alters it slightly. The PC translators were correct. The PSX ones went for literal translation out of context and thus made the mistake

{CLOUD}

“Looks like I need to go inside

to complete my disguise.”

「ここに女装に必要ななにかがある。

俺にはわかるんだ」<End>

{AERIS}

“…Hmmmm.

Sure‚good excuse…”

「…………ふ~~~~ん。

そうやって、ごまかしますか」

Translated Literally:

{CLOUD}

“I am sure there is something here I can use to dress up.”

{AERIS}

"hmm...You are deceiving me" [she thinks he just wants to go in the honey bee manor to see the girls]

And so, I would go for something like:

{CLOUD}

“I'm SURE there's something inside that will help my disguise.”

{AERIS}

"....hmmm. Great excuse."

Mercen-X
03-31-2010, 05:41 PM
Disguise has a "g" and no "q", homebro.

seiferalmasy2
03-31-2010, 06:29 PM
:D That sometimes happens, one of the things about being human. I spell that right all the time and then suddenly a word goes wrong :)

esp since

“Looks like I need to go inside

to complete my disguise.”

It says it right there.

MJN SEIFER
03-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Well there you go! :eek:

I stand corrected.

seiferalmasy2
04-14-2010, 05:37 AM
Well release day should be tomorrow for part 1.

Files:

Flevel.lgp: Main Dialogue and place names, and everything that is changed in Kernel.bin has to be changed here.

FF7.exe: Menu text, Chocobo names, main character names

Scene.bin: Enemy names and moves

kernel.bin: Materia names, weaponsm armours etc

Kernel2.bin: Battle Text

World_us.lgp: File "mes" inside this houses the world map place names and dialogue

There will still be some issues and these will be ironed out over time. Certainly world map dialogue will not display correctly for the time being and until I go through part 2, some of the other text will wrap wrong inside text boxes but this is a necessary evil for now. This is only half the work.

I have noticed that Advent Children has done exactly what I thought it would, and made the original mistakes canon. At 1 point the Great Crater (lit. Great Cavity) is referred to as Northern Cave.

The Japanese can mean Cave, Hollow, Cavity, and sadly the original translation team chose cave as they obv hadnt the foggiest it was referring to a Mother smurfin great hole.

Northern Cave > 大空洞 > Great Crater

大 Great
空洞 Cave / Hollow / Cavity

What annoys me is "Northern" doesnt even appear at all in the place names, it is ALWAYS "Great"

To give you some idea of the incompetence of the original team, these are the variations they used:

North Cave
Northern Cave
Great Cave
Northern Cave Crater [no I ain't kidding, although that is because the Japanese game used Great Cavity, Crater which doesn't work for english]

And yeah it is possible the Japanese intended cave but given context I think v unlikely...and it simply doesnt work in english as that is not a cave... Great Northern Crater can work in full.

I have just updated all the place names and it took AGES.

Break-Off.co.uk - The Forum For Snooker Debate &bull; View topic - Retranslation - Non Dialogue (http://break-off.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1003)

seiferalmasy2
04-17-2010, 05:39 AM
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1JH_wU1qqN4YWE0NGJlOWMtZGU0Zi00ZjFjLWI3NDItYzYxODMzY2I3NTJi&hl=en

Part 1 release number 001. Read the readme and note that you will also need

Aali's driver for full windows compatibility. See here:

Custom graphics driver for FF7/FF8 (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8306.0)

More help:

STICKY: An up-to-date guide for newbies on playing FF7 (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9590.0)

Note I supply 1.02 patch with this project

seiferalmasy2
04-19-2010, 01:34 AM
Google Docs (http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1JH_wU1qqN4ZjY5NDkxMWEtMjhiNC00YmQ5LTg4MzUtNDRmODc2OGQ5NWM3&sort=name&layout=list&num=50)

Installer and Uninstaller

From what we can see 1 man translated FF7 and also FFT originally....Michael baskett. Possibly rushed or maybe incompetent...either way on his own.